IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Part 11

Boogalou

5 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

Agreed! If that was my student, I probably would have lectured the parents on signs to look out for. I've given the soft version of that lecture so many times I have it memorized. I've watched videos of Josie a lot out of curiosity. She's definitely not developing on par with her peers. But then again even medical professionals aren't too sure because it's only in the last 10 years or so that micro preemies have been kept alive via machines.

It's back to the nature v. nurture debate. Is Josie the way she is because she's a micro preemie or have the Duggars fucked up their kid?

I think in Normal World, she'd be a little bit behind, but nothing too bad. In Duggar World, she's a bit behind and she's educationally neglected and not really encouraged to mature or act her age (I'm sure she figures she can get attention by acting more babyish).

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

The Piggly Wigglys where I grew up in South Carolina are awesome. They have all the best local produce. Green peanuts, field peas, sweet corn, tomatoes....yum!

Of course, the Duggars could walk into the fanciest grocery store on earth and walk out with only the basic ingredients for tater tot casserole and chickenetti.

Back to Jill, I get the feeling that she may very well be overwhelmed, but too smug to admit it. 

Most new parents get overwhelmed at some point. And that's in a familiar place, with a support system. I'd be shocked if she wasn't.  Jill gives me the impression that life in general is a tad overwhelming, especially since she's lost the protection that comes with living in her family compound, with group think going on.  It's hard to maintain a cult belief system on your own, which is why most cults seem to congregate and live in communes. 

when we shopped there they may have had tomatoes, they had a couple of veggies shrink wrapped (no idea why). My mom wanted parsley and dark greens. we left without those things.  Other stores in the south offered much more of course, and the duggars i'm sure have access.  Just not the will, education or anything else. The older girls clearly have regular salads. no one seems to care if the little kids get balanced nutrition or not.

2 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

I agree. I wouldn't call her a funny looking child at all. She looks similar to many micropreemies but I don't think that is "funny" looking.

I think she might turn out to be very pretty when she grows up. Sometimes beautiful women go through an 'ugly duckling' stage as little girls (although I would not call Josie ugly!).  I think she just needs to grow into her looks. It's a 'blessing' that she doesn't look much like her parents or the other kids. ;)

I have no idea how her appearance relates to any medical or developmental issues- I'm not disagreeing with any opinions made by anyone who is an expert in this stuff. Just speaking as a *degreed professional artistic-type person*.  I've just read a lot about how odd Josie looks so I wanted to put that out there. ;)

31 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

It's hard to tell from what we've seen if Josie is actually delayed. One thing we can be sure of is that she will never be in a situation, like school, to be properly evaluated. It will be up to her "parents", and how scary is that?

Very scary.  No one is qualified to assess any child, except someone trained and in person. Preferably one on one, and perhaps in a home setting.  Teachers, doctors and even family friends (who are not fundie) are there to spot the kids who need help and either get that help, or help the parents get it.  That's also why they are mandated reporters- so they can help kids who otherwise wouldn't get it.  Ideally people in those roles are trained to spot abuse, delays and neglect and how to report.  But fundie kids are kept away from anyone who might potentially report the family, protecting their way of life over the individual child.

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

Agreed! If that was my student, I probably would have lectured the parents on signs to look out for. I've given the soft version of that lecture so many times I have it memorized. I've watched videos of Josie a lot out of curiosity. She's definitely not developing on par with her peers. But then again even medical professionals aren't too sure because it's only in the last 10 years or so that micro preemies have been kept alive via machines.

It's back to the nature v. nurture debate. Is Josie the way she is because she's a micro preemie or have the Duggars fucked up their kid?

Most micro preemies have lifelong problems:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3414833/Hidden-toll-premature-baby-Modern-medicine-helped-defy-odds-generation-ultra-premature-babies-grow-struggles-far-over.html

Knowing this, Michelle went on to try for baby # 20 in her failing uterus.  That fetus died in utero.  Instead of dealing with Josie's special needs, Michelle is still trying for another pregnancy.  Michelle is obsessed with pregnancy, not with motherhood.  If Michelle wanted to mother her children, she would have stopped giving birth long ago and mothered the children already born.

7 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Gag.  That's actually worse than what I thought it would be.  Why not just make Chicken Parmesan?  It's not really any harder or time consuming to make than the atrocity in that link and it's even got cheese!  It's like they just looked for a reason to throw velveeta and cream of chicken soup in there.        

4 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

That's a typical Duggar recipe:  Slop something together with phony cheese (Velveeta is NOT a dairy product) and canned soup.

I can't see how that even tastes (or looks, for that matter) like anything other than a hot runny mess.  I guess the noodles sort of hold it together?  Also, how many people is that thing supposed to feed?  A whole package of noodles and a pound of "cheese"!?!

I thought they were saying chicken-eddy in the episode and it made no sense to me :pb_lol:

it looks gross. I wonder if she is still eating like that. I've seen a few episodes  where she appears to cook healthier but it could all be for show, so who knows. 

On 1/21/2016 at 2:19 PM, Four is Enough said:

I would say that since the Church welcomes all, there is no keeping these assholes out. I wonder what the reception would be if I, a Roman Catholic, walked into one of THEIR churches and genuflected and started praying, even silently.

They being trying to get that person to "see light and change the error of their ways" ASAP.

Can I just show my appreciation for the fact that there is a supermarket chain in this world called Piggly Wiggly?? *squee*

I agree, as a teacher I'd flag Josie up for closer watching even if I didn't know her family situation. When you see a lot of children, that "off" feeling becomes more honed. Of course here we deal with fetal alcohol syndrome as one of the no.1 issues :/

4 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

5) it could actually be a dairy free version, assuming we didn't see the package (i HIGHLY doubt this, have you ever grocery shopped in the south? at least in the piggly wiggly type of store, it reminds of me more of a overgrown gas station. They probably have little access to alternative dairy. And since it's pricey i doubt they splurge. These people rarely buy grapes because "expensive")

I'm sorry, but this made me laugh.  We have modern conveniences in the South.  This includes paved roads, tall buildings, indoor plumbing, and foods for alternative diets.  We have Whole Foods.  We have Fresh Markets.  I haven't even SEEN a Piggly Wiggly since the 1970s.

There are podunk towns all over this country, no matter what latitude, that may have fewer brick and mortar shopping choices, but northwest Arkansas, and particularly Bentonville, has no lack of places to buy fancy food.  

We have Whole Foods, Tr. Joe's Fresh Market and Sprouts. We're in Marietta, just outside of Atlanta, Ga. Kindof wondered how Sprouts got built.

About Josie; I think she just looks underweight to me. Not much meat on her bones. Why isn't Michelle giving her Lactaide tablets. What I did see once when M was rooting around in a cabinet was a jar of amino acid substitute. So someone wasn't getting all they need. I hope she's giving them at least pediatric vitamins.

3 hours ago, OnceUponATime said:
3 hours ago, OnceUponATime said:

I agree. I actually think Jill being so far away from her family could be far more detrimental to her than good. She has no support system there, she is isolated, she has a young child, she is still adjusting to being married, she is still learning how to cope with not have 18 people in the same room as her *all* the time. Does she even know how to make friends with people she doesn't know? (not snarking here, this is a real problem for lots of people, me included)
The problem with her making mistakes in childrearing (in response to LSotP) is I think that the only people she will ask for advice are her family members via Skype. But maybe they are more involved in the local community and are making real supportive friends down there (which would make it less of a problem), but I doubt it (and it really isn't that easy to make a good network of people in a foreign country).

I agree with the both of you and just want to add one additional point: I believe that Izzis´s birth was traumatic to her (just the way it went down, not the fact of his birth itselfe); that does not help the mother-child relationship altough it can be dealt with pretty good and fast IF you deal with it. Jill hast to feel really alone down their and experiencing a real world encounter without the whole Clan hast to be hard. In addition the Zirka Virus hast to scare her not matter how much she belives in God. And I could also imagine that people arguing against reason (and the government) do not have an easy stand in El Salvador at the moment (at least I really really hope so).

I'm laughing heartily at the 1/4 cup green pepper. Why even bother including that little? And I'm betting they will eat around the few green specks in that grey-white slob :pb_lol:

3 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I think Jill is a lot more likely to suffer an emotional break down before growing from the experience. When she alone has to "train up" her children, and do all the teaching and indoctrination, i think it will be too much. She's only experienced with kids who have been beaten down. I think she's more likely to take more and more extreme measures in order to gain control over the situation. They believe children need to be subservient, obedient and submissive. Children are not born this way and she will do a lot of harm, just like her parents did, in order to get her children to that point. I do not see her strong enough to patiently and lovingly parent a strong willed child without employing pearls teachings.  If iz is a strong willed kid it will break her. 

Coming from the mother of an exceptionally strong willed child. And i'm actually experienced in childhood psychology, and preschool teaching others strong willed children. and consider myself a much stronger person than jill.  My child has broken me several times thus far.  Then again, my goal isn't to create a subservient, obedient pushover child for jesus.

Sorry, thats the main Statement I wanted to quot; I dont know why it didn´t work. Well spoken quiverofdoubt.

Fayetteville has had a great natural foods store for many years, and they're getting a Whole Foods pretty soon too. There is plenty of vegan food and other dairy alternatives in Fayetteville. I was surprised to find that since I've moved farther east, out of the south, it's actually harder to find vegan food.

I know the Duggars don't live in Fayetteville, but they go there all the time.

2 minutes ago, cptbailey said:

I'm laughing heartily at the 1/4 cup green pepper. Why even bother including that little? And I'm betting they will eat around the few green specks in that grey-white slob :pb_lol:

actually, i can answer this! i read the comments.  don't, btw.  She doesn't use fresh peppers- she actually uses a can of rotel, the kind that includes diced tomatoes and peppers together. This way nothing fresh has to go into it. And no one has to learn any knife skills, just can opening. Which they could teach a class on.

Just now, quiverofdoubt said:

actually, i can answer this! i read the comments.  don't, btw.  She doesn't use fresh peppers- she actually uses a can of rotel, the kind that includes diced tomatoes and peppers together. This way nothing fresh has to go into it. And no one has to learn any knife skills, just can opening. Which they could teach a class on.

Ooh that makes more sense thanks. God forbid some fresh veggies make their way into the food.

1 hour ago, Hera said:

Gag.  That's actually worse than what I thought it would be.  Why not just make Chicken Parmesan?  It's not really any harder or time consuming to make than the atrocity in that link and it's even got cheese!  It's like they just looked for a reason to throw velveeta and cream of chicken soup in there.        

Now I want chicken parm.  and if they want a casserole type thing chicken tetrazzini is just as easy and has the benefit of not being gross.

I do homemade tetrazzini (I use my homemade mushroom soup as a base and tweak it and it's an awesome make ahead dish...but then again I'll never know the wonders of velveta cheese in cream of chicken soup?  ick.

I was in Trader Joe's last week looking for vegan cheese because cholesterol. None to be found. Walked across the parking lot to Walmart, and they had plenty.

Chickenettie: velveeta and cream of chicken soup. Yum. :puke-huge:

Someone in the comments said that when they are craving Mexican food, they take a pound of velveeta and melt it and add rotel with chilis. and voila, mexican.  I know this dish used to be a party favorite in the US. I was aware people still enjoy it (most admit it it is a guilty pleasure).  But Mexican? um. Pretty sure I've never seen Velveeta listed in a mexican cookbook, or restaurant. 

Other commenters are defending t his dish left and right because "the duggars are not obese" one went on to say they are "the picture of health". 

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived