IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Part 11

Boogalou

I've made plenty of casseroles without velveeta or cream of anything. It's not that hard to open a cup of greek yogurt to use as a base or ricotta. Frozen spinach, greek yogurt, diced chicken, some spices, and you have a simple and very yummy casserole. If you wanna get fancy add some mozz. That chickenetti recipe grossed me out so much. Yuck!

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Hera said:

So...almost afraid to ask, but what is "chickenetti"?  

I did the math in my fitness pal, and it comes out to 658 calories per serving.  58.8 carbs, 18.4 grams of fat, and a whopping 2,036 grams of sodium.  It has lots of calcium, though, so it has that going for it...

ETA: I just saw that they suggest cheesy biscuits with it.  Dear Lord, no wonder Smuggar ballooned the way he did.

I did not heed the warning and read the comment section.

Since when did not obese mean healthy?  

Also, lots of "anonymous' posts.  Makes me wonder who's doing all the posting in the comment section--Lily and Ellie?

I think the quote about grocery shopping in the South hit me harder than it usually would because I was reading comments Sunday about the snowstorm and someone said it wasn't surprising that the more southern states that got hit weren't  prepared because we don't have to inspect our cars in the South and we drive around on bald tires. I told her to find another source of information because my car was indeed inspected every year and I had already replaced the tires on my two year old car. Sorry for the run-on sentence. Can't find a good place to break it. Also apparently missed the class on the quote function.

1 hour ago, QuiverDance said:

1 minute ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I did the math in my fitness pal, and it comes out to 658 calories per serving.  58.8 carbs, 18.4 grams of fat, and a whopping 2,036 grams of sodium.  It has lots of calcium, though, so it has that going for it...

ETA: I just saw that they suggest cheesy biscuits with it.  Dear Lord, no wonder Smuggar ballooned the way he did.

So do the Tums I'd think would have to follow that meal.  

Thinking about this I bet it would be really hard for a fundy woman to scale the servings after marriage.  I know when our family schedule changed and between work and school I never knew which of the kids would be home for dinner (or who would want to eat later) I ended up wasting a lot of food because I was still cooking for 5 every night.  I can't imagine it's easy to get out of the habit of cooking for 20+.

When I calculated that recipe, I divided it into four servings, since it really doesn't say how many people that amount is supposed to serve.  If you eat two servings, well, you get twice all those wonderful salts and fat and carbs.

2 minutes ago, jcanglin991 said:

I think the quote about grocery shopping in the South hit me harder than it usually would because I was reading comments Sunday about the snowstorm and someone said it wasn't surprising that the more southern states that got hit weren't  prepared because we don't have to inspect our cars in the South and we drive around on bald tires. I told her to find another source of information because my car was indeed inspected every year and I had already replaced the tires on my two year old car. Sorry for the run-on sentence. Can't find a good place to break it. Also apparently missed the class on the quote function.

We don't have inspections where I live, but we're used to large snow storms and every one drives 4wd/awd cars with winter tires. Inspections don't mean anything.  Big storms like that hit places harder when they aren't used to snow and the state/cities don't have the big equipment to deal with it. Not only are most people not accustomed to snow driving, but the state probably doesn't have nearly as many plows and heavy snow machinery you see in say, Colorado.  Our local fire station is small and poor, but have saved funds for snow cats and similar for emergencies.  Our counties have a fleet of snow plows that are capable of dealing with 2/3 feet of snow.  So we get a foot of snow here and no one blinks. But an inch in say, texas, and everything is shut down, because they just don't have the resources.   Anyways, this storm was so massive even places that are used to snowy weather are struggling to clear roads still.  My in laws are in northern virginia and are very snowed in. 2 hours of snow removal broke their snow blower, and did nothing towards clearing their very long driveway. From what it sounds like, they are going to have to wait till a bulldozer comes through to bail them out.  (their cars get yearly inspections, but there's a snow drift over 6 feet tall in front of their garage)

Yeah, I only responded to the commenter about the inspections and the tires because the two had nothing to do with the fact that a place  that rarely gets snow is not equipped to handle it as easily as one that gets a lot of it. I saw it as someone seeing a way to diss the South. As for the inspections, they really don't mean anything because you could go a mile down the road and have something that was just inspected malfunction.

1 minute ago, jcanglin991 said:

Yeah, I only responded to the commenter about the inspections and the tires because the two had nothing to do with the fact that a place  that rarely gets snow is not equipped to handle it as easily as one that gets a lot of it. I saw it as someone seeing a way to diss the South. As for the inspections, they really don't mean anything because you could go a mile down the road and have something that was just inspected malfunction.

I guess what I mean about inspections is that they are meaningless in terms of capabilities of dealing with unexpected weather. There are some really sketchy vehicles on the road in my state that would never pass an inspection, and should probably be off the road.   We are prepared to deal with snow and forest fire (as much as one can be i guess), and seasonal monsoons. But my area isn't equipped to deal with flooding, hurricanes, tornadoes, or earthquakes, as we don't see those often. They would hit us harder than areas that are more prepared for them. 

I once got stuck in kansas city for 3 days because they had like an inch of snow on the ground. the airport ran out of salt before my plane could take off, so we were grounded.  They just weren't ready to deal with that weather. It takes more than a foot of snow, and the snow plow operators going on strike, before things in my area really shut down. 

1 minute ago, jcanglin991 said:

Probably someone heard about one state not having them and assumed it was true of the rest. South Carolina has no inspection requirement. North Carolina does emissions testing but I don't THINK there's a required maintenance inspection (my NC info is a few years out of date, sister doesn't live there anymore).

Anyway, in my head inspection = emissions testing, so the idea that it could affect drivability in snow is silly. I think the tire aspect is more legitimate.

24 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

When I calculated that recipe, I divided it into four servings, since it really doesn't say how many people that amount is supposed to serve.  If you eat two servings, well, you get twice all those wonderful salts and fat and carbs.

I would have said 8 servings.  Just based on the amount of pasta and velveeta cheese.  Of course, this means that the main source of protein (chicken) is less than 1/2 cup per serving.

4 minutes ago, withaj said:

Probably someone heard about one state not having them and assumed it was true of the rest. South Carolina has no inspection requirement. North Carolina does emissions testing but I don't THINK there's a required maintenance inspection (my NC info is a few years out of date, sister doesn't live there anymore).

Anyway, in my head inspection = emissions testing, so the idea that it could affect drivability in snow is silly. I think the tire aspect is more legitimate.

We do emissions testing here as well as the mechanicals. The parishes that are EPA compliant with regard to emissions have testing every two years. The ones that are not have yearly inspections. Frankly I didn't even look at their comment in regard to the snow. It was just a snarky diss to the South.  Down here we're prepared for floods, hurricanes and the occasional tornado. Snow shuts us down the day before it comes.

I actually miss the old days when car inspection was mandatory.  I get so tired of seeing people driving at night with one or more lights out and cars that are not given the very least basic care.  I know I've been on the road, unaware that a headlight was out until someone told me.  Here, I see so many, every evening, that it would be hard to imagine THAT many people had no clue their lights were out.  I remember inspection included checking the alignment of the headlights, too. 

I guess since I have astigmatism and find glaring lights at night particularly annoying is why I have a gripe about missing and unaligned lights.  When I win the lottery, I'll hire a chauffeur.  (Maybe I'll try grifting for one.)

Just now, Mothership said:

I would have said 8 servings.  Just based on the amount of pasta and velveeta cheese.  Of course, this means that the main source of protein (chicken) is less than 1/2 cup per serving.

That's what threw me off as well.  I can't imagine serving eight people with three cups of diced chicken.  I also put in chicken breast, but I imagine they use something cheaper along the lines of thighs, which isn't as healthy.  

Okay, I redid it

Chicken Etti

1 can of Rotel

1 can of Cream of Chicken Soup

1 cup of Milk

1 pound of Velveeta Cheese

1 package of Spaghetti Noodles

3 cups diced chicken thighs

2.5 cups Mozzarella Cheese (for toppings)

This comes out to 526 calories per serving (serves 8), 26.5 grams of fat, 32.5 mg cholesterol, 901.2 mg of sodium, and 11.1 grams of carbs.  I must say that I do not, for a hot second, think that Josh only ate one serving of this dreck.  Add two servings of that and three or so cheesy biscuits at ~200 calories each and you're looking at the 1,652 calorie range.  Not to mention a terrible case of constipation.  :naughty:

I read somewhere that Jill and Dill did not use social media in the last two weeks or so (I did not check it). If this is true, I interprete it as a) another sign that Jill is not doing well and b)that they have not made up their mind yet on how to response to the Virus or are afraid of the backslash they will get once they state their unreasonable opinion.

6 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

Regarding allergies....I had my DNA tested. Turns out, I am 2.3% NEANDERTHAL! Recently read an article that said just about all of us have some Neanderthal and while they were big brutes who were strong inside & out, the Neanderthal gene has been weakened over the thousands of years, causing us to develop allergies to things. Described in the article as "the gene gets shorter and shorter and fragmenting, thus making us allergic to things the brutes could tolerate. I wonder where they got their milk?

The Neanderthals almost certainly didn't drink milk except their mother's own.  Milk drinking from other species came with the introduction of agriculture and not nearly all peoples practiced it.  

Just now, vienna said:

I read somewhere that Jill and Dill did not use social media in the last two weeks or so (I did not check it). If this is true, I interprete it as a) another sign that Jill is not doing well and b)that they have not made up their mind yet on how to response to the Virus or are afraid of the backslash they will get once they state their unreasonable opinion.

There was a post on Duggar Family Official that made a bit of a deal about Jill and Derick being able to get service, so they may just not want to try and get service to post stuff. Or they're trying to appear like they're doing missionary stuff.

3 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

There was a post on Duggar Family Official that made a bit of a deal about Jill and Derick being able to get service, so they may just not want to try and get service to post stuff. Or they're trying to appear like they're doing missionary stuff.

There is a chance they are in a remote area and now have very limited internet access as well... it could happen!

6 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I may have muddied the waters- I called josie's intolerance an allergy- because jchelle did. I have NO idea which one she has. I'm suspicious that it's a true casein allergy, because if it was lactose intolerance there was no reason jchelle couldn't have kept nursing her and taken lactose out of her diet.  I believe mom's breastmilk is safe then? or am I wrong about that?  I'm lactose intolerant, but not casein allergic.  Normally I can handle cheese and yogurt, and icecream if i don't mind the stomach issues and gas after. I really like icecream, sometimes it's worth it to me, as my intolerance isn't huge.  But with this pregnancy I can't handle cheese almost at all, especially before bed. 

There are several reasons they could just be ignoring her milk issues:

1) she's outgrown an intolerance

2) since she's not depending on milk for 100% of her food needs, the small amounts of dairy she gets don't cause huge issues, so they ignore any symptoms she might get from it

3) they ignore it, like they ignore almost everything other medical advice given. justified with jebus

4) jana is too tired to tell josie no to pizza any more, or anything else. just too run down to deal with that fight, so she gives in

5) it could actually be a dairy free version, assuming we didn't see the package (i HIGHLY doubt this, have you ever grocery shopped in the south? at least in the piggly wiggly type of store, it reminds of me more of a overgrown gas station. They probably have little access to alternative dairy. And since it's pricey i doubt they splurge. These people rarely buy grapes because "expensive")

ETA: she never had an anaphylactic reaction to breast milk. She was having severe digestive issues, and not putting on weight at all.  

And yes, she was mostly getting previously pumped milk from jchelle, it's possible they switched to formula because jchelle didn't want to change diet and keep nursing. 

Lactose intolerance is rarely seen in infants.  It's something that occurs later.  There is a condition -galactosemia- that does preclude which does preclude feeding of any mammalian milks.  Artificial milks such as soy formula (with no lactose) are OK.  Lactose overload is fairly common though.  It does not mean that the baby should be weaned, but that breastfeeding should be better managed to reduce the oversupply as the foremilk is higher in lactose.  If, and this is a big IF, Josie had a problem with lactose, it was probably due to lactose overload as the Dairy Queen had a huge supply. 

Some mothers do find that they need to watch their diets carefully and avoid any dairy proteins and occasionally even beef proteins. These moms learn to label read very well to avoid the suspect ingredients.

1 minute ago, PennySycamore said:

Lactose intolerance is rarely seen in infants.  It's something that occurs later.  There is a condition -galactosemia- that does preclude which does preclude feeding of any mammalian milks.  Artificial milks such as soy formula (with no lactose) are OK.  Lactose overload is fairly common though.  It does not mean that the baby should be weaned, but that breastfeeding should be better managed to reduce the oversupply as the foremilk is higher in lactose.  If, and this is a big IF, Josie had a problem with lactose, it was probably due to lactose overload as the Dairy Queen had a huge supply. 

Some mothers do find that they need to watch their diets carefully and avoid any dairy proteins and occasionally even beef proteins. These moms learn to label read very well to avoid the suspect ingredients.

First, can you hear michelle saying "glacosemia"? Lol.  Thanks for informing- i was pretty sure that mom's milk is generally safe.  I remember michelle donated a huge milk supply, then switched her to soy formula. If she didn't have galactosemia then why wean?  I know Josie was getting really sick- and losing weight. not good for any baby, scary for a micropremie.   

I'm sure this information has been posted, but the headine is a rather...large blanket statement! I'm sure it will be ignored in certain quarters, because Jeebus. (And how the hell are women in some of these.countries with limited access to contraception supposed to accomplish this??!)

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/01/25/women-asked-avoid-pregnancy-zika-virus-spreads/79305676/

46 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

The Neanderthals almost certainly didn't drink milk except their mother's own.  Milk drinking from other species came with the introduction of agriculture and not nearly all peoples practiced it.  

I tried to find the study but in a hurry so Wikipedia had the info I was looking for...you're correct.  lactose intolerance is the default actually and lactose tolerance is a mutation believe to have started about 4300 years ago in Europe.

The frequency of lactose intolerance ranges from 5% in Northern European to more than 90% in some African and Asian countries.[6] Some have argued that this links intolerance to natural selectionfavoring lactase-persistent individuals, but it is also consistent with a physiological response to decrease lactase production when it is not needed in cultures in which dairy products are not an available food source.[7] But this is highly confounded by the fact that polymorphisms are associated with natural non-selective variation in the human genome. Many studies show that individuals with a similar genetic background can have different tolerances to lactose based on exposure more so than genetics and that one can acquire tolerance from repeated exposure,[5] but children who immigrate into dairy rich environments tend to consume dairy products at a rate that is close to that of that population's average. Although populations in Europe, India, Arabia, and Africa were first thought to have high frequencies of lactase persistence because of a single mutation, lactase persistence has been traced to a number of mutations that occurred independently.[8] It is important to recognize that the genetic definition of lactose intolerance is not the same as an operative one, in which one experiences symptoms.

Also regarding the neanderthal DNA thing - most people of European or Asian descent have between 1-4%.  

http://www.livescience.com/15754-neanderthals-immunity-boost-humans.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33226416

(In looking for a decent link I just found a scientific but very nsfw pic of a neanderthal depiction (not one of the above links).  Did not expect that.)

5 hours ago, jcanglin991 said:

I was mainly reacting to the point in your original post which said have you ever grocery shopped in the South, then referred to Piggly Wiggly as an overgrown  gas station. I'm not a particular fan of them but they are not akin to gas stations. The South encompasses a lot of area and some parts are quite sophisticated.  I know this is a snark site but there is no reason to disparage an entire region of the country, especially when there are many of us on this site who live  there and can refute what you have said. The Duggars have  been spotted in their local Walmart many times and seem to have no problem travelling when they want to. They  could find specialized foods quite easily if they were so inclined.

Just as a point of interest, the modern supermarket, where you get the stuff yourself instead of asking the clerk, was pioneered by Piggly Wiggly.

And even gas stations in the South will often carry soy milk.

I noticed this thread was hot and read four pages to see what was hot about it. Meh. Here are my thoughts, in no particular order:

1. Food deserts are a real thing, and not just in the South. http://www.ers.usda.gov/FoodAtlas/
  2. The Duggars were poor for so long that they may have never changed their eating habits after their income improved, meaning it never occured to them that there's a Whole Foods nearby (for instance), or that it's worth spending $3 on soymilk for Josie if regular milk only costs $1. Poor and formerly poor people have food issues; ask me how I know. It's a bit classist to assume anyone who wants or needs special foods in the United States can just go out and buy them. Yes, the Duggars should know better, and I'm sure Josie's doctors advised JB&M about her dietary needs. Yes, they can afford to buy the foods she needs. Yes, the Duggars just suck in general. This topic hits close to home and I've probably read too much into it.
  3. Izzy was seven months old in the most recent swaddling pictures, not eight or nine. There's no need to exaggerate the facts on this; swaddling a large, distressed 7 month old is disturbing enough as it is.
  4. Josh was 14 when the documented molestations occured, not 15. Again, I feel it's important to be accurate here.
  5. Josie looks very much like Michelle and very much like a preemie. She also has Garrett Ruark's eyes, as do Jinger, John David, Josh, and maybe other Duggarlings. I realize that 'funny looking kid' is a term used by medical professionals when they aren't sure what kind of problems a kid has, but we generally DO know what's wrong with Josie: she was a micro-preemie.

46 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

A woman I used to know was nursing a child with a lot of problems with gas and digestion which supposedly came from what the mother was eating.  After she had cut down on this and that, she ended up cutting out everything from her diet except soy baby formula, boiled rice, oatmeal, apples and bananas.  She gradually added chicken, carrots, sweet potatoes and green beans (or was it Spinach?).  The last I heard (I stopped attending LLL meetings), she was considering switching from baby formula to an adult drink like Ensure.  I am not sure I would have breast fed very long if I had had to change my diet so drastically. (I did quit caffeine and onions, and boy was that a sacrifice!)

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived