IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Part 9: They slosh through the rain.

Coconut Flan

10 minutes ago, gustava said:

“It’s important for us to not just get an education for the sake of getting an education,” Derick wrote in a blog post on the Dillard Family website. “That is not a true education. The purpose of any educational endeavor, whether primary, secondary, or post-secondary, ought to be to prepare to contribute to society, and for Christians, that means productivity for the Kingdom.”

Boy, we called it wrong on Derick.  :TrainWreckMotion:

Now it all makes sense.  Walmart was anxious to get rid of him because he was proselytizing to coworkers.  :Yes: 

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I said from day one that Derrick was an asshole. Always assume the worst about missionaries. And people who want to marry Duggars. 

You are the first I've heard this from!  Derick hasn't disappointed me in the least.  I didn't like him from day one.  Anyone who would want JBob as a prayer partner is questionable in my eyes.

I've always questioned Derrick's motivation.  Is he in it for the fame and money or does he really love Jill?  He didn't have that same crazy-obsessed-horniness that Bin did when courting.  Maybe he just wanted a truly dedicated fundy wife to accompany him on the missions field and knew he couldn't go wrong with Jilly Muffy,,,,

The way Israel is being abused is really concerning me.  It makes me wonder what we don't see....

A few pages back someone (ClaraOswin?) asked about the turquoise and white thing on the lefthand nightstand.  I think it's a Lull aromatherapy diffuser. There's a picture of a Lull diffuser on page 39 of the December/January issue of the AARP magazine.

3 minutes ago, MatthewDuggar said:

I've always questioned Derrick's motivation.  Is he in it for the fame and money or does he really love Jill?  He didn't have that same crazy-obsessed-horniness that Bin did when courting.  Maybe he just wanted a truly dedicated fundy wife to accompany him on the missions field and knew he couldn't go wrong with Jilly Muffy,,,,

The way Israel is being abused is really concerning me.  It makes me wonder what we don't see....

I think Derick wanted to connect with JB as a 'prayer partner' for the potential financial support that circle could provide to him. He had a legitimate connection to NWA, despite having gone to school in Oklahoma, so it wouldn't be totally unreasonable for a conservative Baptist NWA kid doing missions work to contact the head of the best-known conservative Baptist NWA family for support. I suspect it was also, of course, a welcome bonus that Jim-Bob decided to orchestrate a friendship --> courtship between Derick and Jill. I do think there's a stark difference between Derick's apparent motives and methods in getting involved with the Duggars and Ben's outright pursuit of a relationship with Jessa for what I speculate was, in his mind, the fame, fortune, and hot older girl.

I think Derick loves Jill very much. I think his devotion to her and integration into the Duggar family has led him to make some increasingly poor decisions that he might not otherwise have made. Not that I thought he was God's gift to mankind to start with, but he certainly had the advantages of a less fundamentalist upbringing and education, not to mention an apparently fulfilling secular college experience. Clearly that doesn't mean everything, though. He's not much better than Ben as things currently stand.

I can't imagine Cathy is at all happy with the whole pretend missionary thing. If not for that, she could see her grandchild regularly. 

On 12/31/2015 at 6:07 PM, PennySycamore said:

Swaddling is a fairly controversial practice.  It may have been practiced for ages and does seem to help many newborns but it may also contribute to hip dysplasia.  Some studies also find that the SIDS (SIDA) rate is higher among swaddled babies even when those babies sleep on their backs. It was a known risk factor when babies were placed in the prone (face-down) position, but at least one study says it is also true for babies in the supine position.  Most pedis and newborn/OB nurses don't recommend it at this time.

Hmm. My boys were swaddled in the NICU in 2011. As long as their hips are loose enough they said it was fine. We didn't swaddle with blankets once they came home, just those Halo Sleep Sacks with the velcro wings across the arms. 

As for Izzy, if he is miserable being swaddled, there is no reason to do it. Mine hated it for like 10 seconds, then fell asleep for a few months (lol they didn't sleep for a few months at a time, they hated the swaddle for 10 seconds then fell asleep and it worked that way for a few months). Then when they were Izzy's age, we played Swaddled Up Baby and swaddled them as tight as we could with a fleece and they LOVED to escape it. Slightly different expression on the kid's face!

swaddle.jpg

7 minutes ago, twinmama said:

Hmm. My boys were swaddled in the NICU in 2011. As long as their hips are loose enough they said it was fine. We didn't swaddle with blankets once they came home, just those Halo Sleep Sacks with the velcro wings across the arms. 

As for Izzy, if he is miserable being swaddled, there is no reason to do it. Mine hated it for like 10 seconds, then fell asleep for a few months. Then when they were Izzy's age, we played Swaddled Up Baby and swaddled them as tight as we could with a fleece and they LOVED to escape it. Slightly different expression on the kid's face!

swaddle.jpg

They can do things in the NICU that they wouldn't do in a regular newborn nursery and things in a regular newborn nursery that might be unwise at home. Most of the babies in the NICU are monitored by machines and all of the babies in the hospital nurseries, both newborn and NICU, have nurses and other staff monitoring them on a regular basis.  If a baby in the NICU stops breathing, the staff will know immediately.  They don't have a caregiver who is asleep part of the time.

I think with Jill and Jessa (and likely most Gothard women) they see marriage and motherhood as the pinnacle. They are now the queens of the castles...NOW, what I cannot understand is this: Jill was child  #4 and had her first sister mom experience with child # 9, Joy. Jill was 6 at the time. So who do Jill and Jessa think mothered children 1-8???? 

In the beginning there were no sister moms- 

So Jill and Jessa, maybe by the time you get to 8 or 9 kids, IF there are some females in the mix, you'll both catch a break too.

So my understanding of swaddling was that (for most babies) it was just up til a certain age--like 3 months or so? Because swaddling can disrupt growth of bones if it's done too long. I'm not sure about this, my kids are all teens and they HATED swaddling from day one, so I'm not particularly knowledgeable about it. However, I thought I remembered reading not to use swaddling too long with babies. Seems to  me like a 9 month old would be too old for swaddling.

Also, I saw the picture of Izzy (on another site) sitting on the blanket surrounded by gifts, with the bruised eye. And not only am  concerned about the bruised eye, but MAN! that is a skinny, skinny 9 month old baby. Did anyone else notice that? I know babies are all shapes and sizes, but for an infant who isn't yet walking, he seems to have no baby fat.

There are many ways for kids to bump and bruise their heads, so his eye injury may be legit, especially if he's starting to cruise around furniture, tables, chairs, etc. My son had a bruise somewhere on his head from the time he started moving until he was 5 years old.

2 hours ago, gustava said:

“It’s important for us to not just get an education for the sake of getting an education,” Derick wrote in a blog post on the Dillard Family website. “That is not a true education. The purpose of any educational endeavor, whether primary, secondary, or post-secondary, ought to be to prepare to contribute to society, and for Christians, that means productivity for the Kingdom.”

Sir, you first need to be responsibile, reliable and productive in THIS life/kingdom.

You can hold a legit job to support your family and still be a righteous man and Christian.

These folks are so misguided.

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

I think with Jill and Jessa (and likely most Gothard women) they see marriage and motherhood as the pinnacle. They are now the queens of the castles...NOW, what I cannot understand is this: Jill was child  #4 and had her first sister mom experience with child # 9, Joy. Jill was 6 at the time. So who do Jill and Jessa think mothered children 1-8???? 

In the beginning there were no sister moms- 

So Jill and Jessa, maybe by the time you get to 8 or 9 kids, IF there are some females in the mix, you'll both catch a break too.

Well, they may expect their sisters to come help out. Certainly that occured for Josh (see Jana spending lots of time with the Smuggars, both when they traveled and in DC). I'm guessing at some point soon Jennifer and Jordyn will start spending a lot of time with their sister-moms, so that they can be aunt-moms to their nephews. 

In our NICU we prepared babies for home life before discharge. If they were considered term by adjusted  age, this meant no more tight swaddling, placing supine for sleeping, offering pacifiers and light covering- no toys, pillows or crib bumpers.

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

They can do things in the NICU that they wouldn't do in a regular newborn nursery and things in a regular newborn nursery that might be unwise at home. Most of the babies in the NICU are monitored by machines and all of the babies in the hospital nurseries, both newborn and NICU, have nurses and other staff monitoring them on a regular basis.  If a baby in the NICU stops breathing, the staff will know immediately.  They don't have a caregiver who is asleep part of the time.

Oh for sure, from birth until they were about to go home the NICU belly slept the babies. Nothing I would ever do at home. I was just saying that they didn't tell me not to swaddle when we took them home after 9 weeks (and we talked about eeeeevvvvvveeerrryyyything!).

Eh, when I gave birth 4 years ago, the neonatal department baby classes taught us how to swaddle. We had our son stay much of the time in the nursury so I could sleep, and they swaddled him. I never quite got the hang of it, though, so DS wasn't swaddled after we left the hospital. 

2 minutes ago, twinmama said:

Oh for sure, from birth until they were about to go home the NICU belly slept the babies. Nothing I would ever do at home. I was just saying that they didn't tell me not to swaddle when we took them home after 9 weeks (and we talked about eeeeevvvvvveeerrryyyything!).

The no-swaddling thing is rather new and not everyone agrees with it (there is not much evidence that it leads to more SIDS when the baby is supine, but there is some.) 

8 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

In our NICU we prepared babies for home life before discharge. If they were considered term by adjusted  age, this meant no more tight swaddling, placing supine for sleeping, offering pacifiers and light covering- no toys, pillows or crib bumpers.

My youngest would only sleep on his stomach because he slept on this stomach in the NICU.  I knew he should have been on his back, and we did try; but at a certain point I had to give in so we could sleep.

15 minutes ago, Alicja said:

Maybe they'll send Izzy to college? I hope so!

.:my_huh:Seems a little soon to be worrying about college before we are done worrying about swaddling and blanket training. :kitty-wink::kitty-wink:

Is Derrick aware that most Christians would not find them productive for the Kingdom or for anything?

I'm really not surprised like some of you seem to be at Jill's parenting style. I'm always a bit baffled when someone says that so-and-so Duggar will be a good mom. These young women go directly from their childhood home, where abusive practices are used and said to be God's Way, into being married and having babies. They don't have any time to meet people with an outsider's perspective who would be horrified at blanket training. It's not like they're going from their parents' home to a college dorm or something where they might meet a nice Christian friend who was never spanked and still turned out to love Jesus. Instead, they go straight to a husband that Jim Bob has approved of, someone who probably has similar attitudes. At some point being kindhearted doesn't make much difference when you believe that your child will burn in Hell if you don't "train him up" in the same horrible ways your parents treated you.

So how are the Duggars contributing to society? None of the young adults have real jobs or real educations, and what they do all day is a mystery to everyone but themselves. I know they think they were contributing to the Kingdom with their TV show, but if that's the case, so are the Kardashians.

4 hours ago, amandaaries said:

That quote from halcionne and that entire article were absolutely magical.

Also loving, "According to Time, Josh Duggar also attacked Planned Parenthood president Cecile Richards by accusing her of “lacking compassion.” Josh launched his tweet attack on Richards just days before he resigned from his position with the Family Research Council (FRC) in response to reports that he had sexually molested four of his sisters and another girl." Calling him on his shit. Now, tell me again - who exactly lacks compassion, Joshley?

1 hour ago, twinmama said:

As for Izzy, if he is miserable being swaddled, there is no reason to do it. Mine hated it for like 10 seconds, then fell asleep for a few months (lol they didn't sleep for a few months at a time, they hated the swaddle for 10 seconds then fell asleep and it worked that way for a few months). Then when they were Izzy's age, we played Swaddled Up Baby and swaddled them as tight as we could with a fleece and they LOVED to escape it. Slightly different expression on the kid's face!

swaddle.jpg

CUTIE!!!

15 minutes ago, Alicja said: Maybe they'll send Izzy to college? I hope so!

.:my_huh:Seems a little soon to be worrying about college before we are done worrying about swaddling and blanket training. :kitty-wink::kitty-wink:

it's never too early to start grifting--er, I mean saving for college! [emoji23][emoji23]

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived