IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Part 9: They slosh through the rain.

Coconut Flan

3 hours ago, Antimony said:

My mother bought me this book when I was very young called World Myths by Marilyn McFarlane. It has the top 5 most important myths from the top 6 (I think) world religions, written in terms children can understand. She gave it to me so I could chose. I chose nothing but I loved that book and still have it. 

I was brought up Jewish, but my parents were really big on having me learn about other religions. I had the big D'Aulaire's book of Greek myths, I loved to learn about the Ancient Egyptian gods, I would sometimes go to church with my Presbyterian friends and Catholic babysitter, and while my parents didn't do too much hands-on religion teaching (beyond "Mr. Singh at daddy's office wears that turban as part of his religion, he's a Sikh" or "Muslim women cover their heads, it's like how other Jewish people wear yarmulkes all the time"), I loved reading history and mythology books, so I could explain the main tenets of most major religions pretty early on. Plus my Hebrew school/temple had a lot of interfaith initiatives, so we learned about the other Abrahamic religions as part of our curriculum, hopefully to show us that we had common ground with Muslims and Christians. I don't mind raising a child in your religion as long as you encourage open-mindedness, teach about other faiths, and allow your child to forge their own path, within the faith or out of it.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Whaddayall mean that the Dillards aren't productive?

http://www.hollywoodtake.com/jill-duggar-returning-soon-19-kids-money-problems-continue-derick-dillards-wife-stays-away-118831

They've been able to pass tracts...

And Derrick claims they aren't trying to convert anyone. Sure. Next thing we know Trump will claim to love Muslims.

23 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

And Derrick claims they aren't trying to convert anyone. Sure. Next thing we know Trump will claim to love Muslims.

I think The Donald has already said that he loves Muslims. He is a reality show star. 

Derick has said that they aren't trying to convert? On their mission statement page they seem to talk about changing people into real CORRECT Jeebus lovers. And he talks about "People of the nations" Is that a mistake, or grifterese for the people they think they might help through religion. 

8 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I think The Donald has already said that he loves Muslims. He is a reality show star. 

Derick has said that they aren't trying to convert? On their mission statement page they seem to talk about changing people into real CORRECT Jeebus lovers. And he talks about "People of the nations" Is that a mistake, or grifterese for the people they think they might help through religion. 

"Jill and Derick Dillard have been under heavy scrutiny from critics for allegedly spending their time in Central America attempting to convert Catholics. The pair addressed those claims in a recent blog post, noting that “God did not call us to convert Catholics.” Instead, Jill’s husband explains that the family is there not to convert but to “preach good news to the poor and to proclaim liberty to the captives.”
Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/2539998/god-did-not-call-us-to-convert-catholics-jill-duggar-dillard-responds-to-critics-attempts-to-set-record-straight-on-mission-work/#PvxAJLou8kvio6kI.99 "

So they're not converting Catholics, just telling Catholics about Jesus in the most condescending white-savior way possible.

10 hours ago, Kittikatz said:

I can totally see holding a tantruming child or using one of these cocoon  things to comfort the little one and get them to focus on something besides the emotional meltdown. One of my cats has some pretty out of control moments - I put him in his comfy cat pyjamas (weird, I know....) and he calms right down, so that kind of cuddle feeling as a calming thing makes sence.  This kind of punishment swaddling just looks so wrong. I feel awful for Izzy.     <snip>

:kitty-wink:.  I can't resist pointing out that my kitties would regard any form of clothing as punishment and that if they saw a picture of your kitty in "his comfy cat pyjamas" they would insist that I call Pet Protection Services.   :kitty-wink:

Which only shows that one cat's pleasure is another one's nightmare.

This made me think of Jill and Derick and Boob and Meechelle. But mostly our favorite young parents on their fake totally legit mission trip and I wonder if by claiming their home is a home church if Boob pays any taxes for the TTH at all. (I'm sorry I don't know how to post pictures as spoilers so they don't clog up the thread -__- )

joelo.jpg

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

If there had been an explanation it would be easier to understand. Something like trying swaddling to calm Izzy and figuring out that it didn't work for him, so scratch that idea. The bruise didn't bother me so much. I could have put my son in a padded room, and he would come out with bruises.

If you're semi famous, and post onto social media, it would be prudent to add some captions. I guess negative publicity is still good.

I think it was an attention seeking publicity stunt.

“It’s important for us to not just get an education for the sake of getting an education,” Derick wrote in a blog post on the Dillard Family website. “That is not a true education. The purpose of any educational endeavor, whether primary, secondary, or post-secondary, ought to be to prepare to contribute to society, and for Christians, that means productivity for the Kingdom.”

<end of quote>

I think he should say 'and for Christians that includes productivity for the kingdom'. He seems to suggest normal people contribute to society and believers do kingdom stuff. However I think (hope) that is not what he tries to say. I think he is just a careless writer.

His other point I take issue with. Education has value beyond our direct contribution to society. The degree I have is sufficient for my current job, but when the kids grow up a bit more I'd love to do a PhD. Just because learning is such a joy and I believe using your brain to its full capacity is a way of honoring God. And even if I can never afford a PhD, I will keep educating myself. There is so much I still don't understand. And why settle for knowing only what you need to know if you can experience the joy of discovery?

14 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

:kitty-wink:.  I can't resist pointing out that my kitties would regard any form of clothing as punishment and that if they saw a picture of your kitty in "his comfy cat pyjamas" they would insist that I call Pet Protection Services.   :kitty-wink:

Which only shows that one cat's pleasure is another one's nightmare.

LOL... If I had a clue how to post pictures without being sent to the prayer closet, your cats would be outraged on behalf of a very fur deprived yet stylish Devon Rex. Some days I have to fight with him to get the shirt off! :kitty-wink:

About the uncovered power outlet:  

In 1996 or 97 we sold our house (in the US) to a German couple with a 2-year-old and an infant in arms.   While showing the mother around, I pointed out that they wouldn't need to put child locks under the kitchen and bathroom sinks, and that although we had removed most of the other infant guards (our youngest was 6) we had also left the lock on the knife drawer and the socket covers in the bathrooms and playroom.  She told me that she wouldn't need any of this, that her child was very well-behaved and that she believed in teaching to obey and to not touch what they were not supposed to.    Her tone implied that parents who put up basic safety devices were negligent in educating their children.  

One of my cousins put up safety locks under the kitchen sink but no where else.  She said that the kids were supervised enough that no other care was necessary.

I have run into different versions of "if you teach them right, they will not hurt themselves."  I have often wondered whether my son (who had to be moved out of the crib early because when he wasn't performing acrobatic feats to get out, was trying to disassemble it) would have survived in one of those households.  But other kids (for ex. my cousin's stolid obedient, risk-averse son who, at 29, is still living at home) seem to do fine.

The Dillards probably believe in teaching "no" instead of covering the sockets.

13 minutes ago, Kittikatz said:

LOL... If I had a clue how to post pictures without being sent to the prayer closet, your cats would be outraged on behalf of a very fur deprived yet stylish Devon Rex. Some days I have to fight with him to get the shirt off! :kitty-wink:

Ah! A Devon Rex.  That changes things.  My kitties understand that the fur-deprived may need assistance.   For their part, any more clothing than a kitty collar is a disturbance of their fur and an interruption of the joys of constant self-grooming.  :kitty-wink:

None of the parents I know here in the UK have socket covers. I've never even heard of them. Child locks on closets though!

English sockets are 3 pin and are quite a bit different. They also have an on and off switch. It's really easy to poke something into our sockets. Fortunately, we only use 110, not 240, except for major appliances.

I used locks and also socket covers. And gates. Which as I mentioned my youngest broke  down anyway. So we bought another and screwed it into the wall more tightly. 

Clearly it is the preference of the parent. I mean, I could tell my youngest many things,but  when he went for the pictures on the wall behind the couch, because of the glass fronts, I  just took them down. For my own sanity. 

34 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

About the uncovered power outlet:  

In 1996 or 97 we sold our house (in the US) to a German couple with a 2-year-old and an infant in arms.   While showing the mother around, I pointed out that they wouldn't need to put child locks under the kitchen and bathroom sinks, and that although we had removed most of the other infant guards (our youngest was 6) we had also left the lock on the knife drawer and the socket covers in the bathrooms and playroom.  She told me that she wouldn't need any of this, that her child was very well-behaved and that she believed in teaching to obey and to not touch what they were not supposed to.    Her tone implied that parents who put up basic safety devices were negligent in educating their children.

My mother was firmly in the camp of Child safety devices = poorly trained child. She used to brag that she never had to take down any breakables or put up gates or socket covers because "I knew better". And I did.... know that looking at her figurines or an electric socket or being anything less than carful when transversing the stairs would get my ass beat.

I remember when a neighbours son stuck something I'm an electric socket and got zapped that she felt quite smug and superior to his mother... 

Mummy wars are eternal... Personally I'd be all for socket guards and baby gates.

48 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

"Jill and Derick Dillard have been under heavy scrutiny from critics for allegedly spending their time in Central America attempting to convert Catholics. The pair addressed those claims in a recent blog post, noting that “God did not call us to convert Catholics.” Instead, Jill’s husband explains that the family is there not to convert but to “preach good news to the poor and to proclaim liberty to the captives.”
Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/2539998/god-did-not-call-us-to-convert-catholics-jill-duggar-dillard-responds-to-critics-attempts-to-set-record-straight-on-mission-work/#PvxAJLou8kvio6kI.99 "

So they're not converting Catholics, just telling Catholics about Jesus in the most condescending white-savior way possible.

What I love is

Derick is admitting that the main goal behind the Dillard Family Ministries is to preach to the community. However, he claims that conversion is not the end goal. He says by preaching “the good news,” he will be able to “proclaim liberty to the captives” in the area and provide hope to the poor.

“My desire is to preach good news to the poor and to proclaim liberty to the captives. I have the greatest treasure in Christ, and I want others to know that hope as well.”

The Dillards do not outline any particular work that they will do in the area, such as housing plans or volunteering, in the blog. Instead they claim that preaching hope is what God has called them to do in Central America.

"The Dillards do not outline any particular work that they will do in the area, such as housing plans or volunteering, in the blog. Instead they claim that preaching hope is what God has called them to do in Central America." 

Yeah, right!  They are there to talk to people about "the good news" with almost no knowledge of the local languages.  (Do they even know that some of the people in the out-of-the-way villages prefer Mayan dialects/languages to Spanish?)

Is Derick planning to perform any miracles beyond preaching eloquently in a language he has not mastered?

Otherwise, how is the lesson of the Gospel  taught by a semi-articulate gringo supposed to be different/better than the lesson a Spanish speaking priest might communicate?  I mean the story of Jesus and His power to save are pretty much the same whether you are Catholic or Fundie.  If they are there to promote a different interpretation of Biblical teachings, then they are there to "convert" Catholics.

More to the point, how can they perform this spreading of the good news with their limited knowledge of the language?  Might it not be a good idea for them to do something useful such as helping build something or even teaching English?  (They are probably terrible teachers, but at least they would be trying to offer something they have that the locals may want.)

<sigh >

44 minutes ago, Kittikatz said:

Giggy Vanderpump, the Pomeranian on Real Housewives of Beverley Hills, has alopecia and has to wear clothes all the time to stay warm.  He has a whole wardrobe of outfits.

My sister-in-law  (or maybe one of her siblings) stuck a wire in an electrical socket when she was a toddler some 50 years ago.  The child recovered but did get a nasty shock.  When I put Shock-Stops in the outlets with my youngest, she went right behind me and flicked them all out with her little finger.  Did I mention that she was still crawling at the time?  She could climb trees just about as soon as she could walk.  Despite my youngest, I still think outlet covers are a good idea.

The whole "I believe in teaching self control and don't need outlet covers, guards, etc" is so cocky and frankly kind of stupid. You can still teach your kid "no" and play it safe. 

Smug and stupids fits the Dullards though, so no surprise.

25 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

What I love is

"The Dillards do not outline any particular work that they will do in the area, such as housing plans or volunteering, in the blog. Instead they claim that preaching hope is what God has called them to do in Central America." 

Yeah, right!  They are there to talk to people about "the good news" with almost no knowledge of the local languages.  (Do they even know that some of the people in the out-of-the-way villages prefer Mayan dialects/languages to Spanish?)

Is Derick planning to perform any miracles beyond preaching eloquently in a language he has not mastered?

Otherwise, how is the lesson of the Gospel  taught by a semi-articulate gringo supposed to be different/better than the lesson a Spanish speaking priest might communicate?  I mean the story of Jesus and His power to save are pretty much the same whether you are Catholic or Fundie.  If they are there to promote a different interpretation of Biblical teachings, then they are there to "convert" Catholics.

More to the point, how can they perform this spreading of the good news with their limited knowledge of the language?  Might it not be a good idea for them to do something useful such as helping build something or even teaching English?  (They are probably terrible teachers, but at least they would be trying to offer something they have that the locals may want.)

<sigh >

Your factual comment above is how we all know that the Dillards are in CA on a vacation; hiding out until the heat dies down and they decide what they will do next. I imagine they'll be back in either OK or AR before long, with Derick working in accounting once again.

You cannot preach if you cannot communicate with or to the audience.

17 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Giggy Vanderpump, the Pomeranian on Real Housewives of Beverley Hills, has alopecia and has to wear clothes all the time to stay warm.  He has a whole wardrobe of outfits.

My sister-in-law  (or maybe one of her siblings) stuck a wire in an electrical socket when she was a toddler some 50 years ago.  The child recovered but did get a nasty shock.  When I put Shock-Stops in the outlets with my youngest, she went right behind me and flicked them all out with her little finger.  Did I mention that she was still crawling at the time?  She could climb trees just about as soon as she could walk.  Despite my youngest, I still think outlet covers are a good idea.

My GD is exactly this child. Today I told her that although her feet are big (they are for size), that does not mean that she must use them to climb on everything.

49 minutes ago, Kittikatz said:

My mother was firmly in the camp of Child safety devices = poorly trained child.

Oh yea, my MIL wanted to buy my son a walker and when I told her I didn't intend to use one because they are a hazard, she told me that she used one with all her kids and never had an issue because she watched them. I really appreciated that......

23 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

The whole "I believe in teaching self control and don't need outlet covers, guards, etc" is so cocky and frankly kind of stupid. You can still teach your kid "no" and play it safe. 

Smug and stupids fits the Dullards though, so no surprise.

Absolutely! I would argue that child safety devices might help teach children "no" (although this is certainly not their purpose - safety is).

For example, I vividly remember being frustrated as a small child because I could not get into the fridge that had a safety lock on it. And gates on stairs say "you can't use the stairs without someone older with you, for your own safety". 

15 minutes ago, Marissap said:

Oh yea, my MIL wanted to buy my son a walker and when I told her I didn't intend to use one because they are a hazard, she told me that she used one with all her kids and never had an issue because she watched them. I really appreciated that......

I actually had an accident as a baby in a walker. It resulted in the Walker toppling over and my face crashing into the fireguard. Whatever teeth I had were pushed backwards and my gums gushed with blood. My poor folks were besides themselves in guilt. They were apparently more upset than I was!

Walkers take up so much space too and babies are constantly running into shit. Terrible gifts lol

If I saw something as a hazard when my children were young I "took care of it". I never let them out of my sight when in public. And I didn't give a shit what anybody said about that and don't to this day!! They were very active. 

After reading above what Derick said  about liberting the  poor, or  the captives,  or  whatever, I will say that I firmly believe that they are awful. They are grifting money and wasting their time and everyone else's.

I  just read the book "A Beard in Nepal" by Fiona Roberts. An account of the time she  and her  husband spent in the village of Salle in Nepal. She was asked to teach English as a volunteer. Much of the story is about how hard it is to get to and from the village, and anywhere else for that matter. What I found interesting  was when she said that the people in the village had "forgotten" how to use plants for medicine and make cheese from their  goats milk. She and  her husband shared the basic first  aid supplies they had brought along. 

Now, using plants for medicine served the people in that very rural area for a very long time I would think. Until "western"  medicine filtered in in the trucks and busses that came along. The population was Buddhist she said, but only for births, deaths and marriages, not extremely so. The children played outside. No electronics. This was 2007-2008 or so. 

So, what was wrong with their "pre-westernized" life? That it wasn't a western life? I'm sure this is a question many have asked when moving into rural isolated areas all over the world. 

Just because they don't live in midtown Manhattan doesn't mean their quality of life is not good. I recently read that the current Dalai  Lama's brother said that their family lived in rural Tibet, native style home, goats dogs and farming.....and did not feel that they were poor. 

Bringing the Gothard cult to SintralAmerica is  a travesty.  On and on I go. 

4 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I used locks and also socket covers. And gates. Which as I mentioned my youngest broke  down anyway. So we bought another and screwed it into the wall more tightly. 

Clearly it is the preference of the parent. I mean, I could tell my youngest many things,but  when he went for the pictures on the wall behind the couch, because of the glass fronts, I  just took them down. For my own sanity. 

For me, being a parent has always been a balancing act.  Yes, at some point in time, I wanted my child to learn there are bad consequences to sticking your fingers, or a fork, or other object, into a wall socket.  I also wanted my son not to accidentally electrocute himself as his natural curiously led him to explore his environment.  Inexpensive socket covers seemed a reasonable solution.  However, I never desired that my child instantly obey me, without question.  I'm glad that was my philosophy since my son is quite strong-minded and I would have had to be quite a heartless monster to achieve such a goal.  

One thing I can say with almost 100% certainty - he's not going to end up asking other people to support him while he ponces around other countries handing out leaflets and claiming to be doing missionary work.

6 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

For me, being a parent has always been a balancing act.  Yes, at some point in time, I wanted my child to learn there are bad consequences to sticking your fingers, or a fork, or other object, into a wall socket.  I also wanted my son not to accidentally electrocute himself as his natural curiously led him to explore his environment.  Inexpensive socket covers seemed a reasonable solution.  However, I never desired that my child instantly obey me, without question.  I'm glad that was my philosophy since my son is quite strong-minded and I would have had to be quite a heartless monster to achieve such a goal.  

One thing I can say with almost 100% certainty - he's not going to end up asking other people to support him while he ponces around other countries handing out leaflets and claiming to be doing missionary work.

It really is a balancing act. You can't let your kid do something that would mess them up forever or kill them, but keeping them in a bubble (or on a blanket) forever is just as bad. Though you could go the George Bluth way and hire a one-armed man to scare your children into learning valuable life skills like leaving notes and not yelling.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived