IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Part 9: They slosh through the rain.

Coconut Flan

Do you think maybe the photos were supposed to be private and they fucked up?  I guess we'll know if they take them down.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

It seems like a punishment. Like he was crawling some place he wasn't supposed to so she swaddled him to keep him still.

A more extreme version of blanket training?

I saw the pic of Derrick and Jill on instagram earlier and was wondering how long it would take until we would talk about it here haha

I do not understanding swaddling an infant over the age of 3 months.  Swaddling helps with babies that have a startle reflex (it can be really strong with some infants), so that they don't wake themselves up.  After 3 months, the startle reflex has usually relaxed and/or the baby is able to self comfort if slightly startled.  Lots of infants really like being swaddled.  My kids and grandkids did, but after 3 months, they were more frustrated by the swaddling and fought it--obviously not comforting.

Izzy is way too old to be swaddled.  If he had somehow wrapped himself in the blanket, it might be something a parent might find slightly funny or silly, but then it could also have been accompanied by an explanation.  But, he's clearly in two different places.

But Derick's always had the wonky eye:

video-undefined-1E71DE0A00000578-942_636

^ From a Daily Fail article called "getting ready to propose" or something, so it's from early on

2ddf534.jpg

^ From Derick's LinkedIn, at least six months ago

Thanks, @halcionne, for posting these wonky eye pics.  Yup, those sure do show that he's had the "different eye size" thing going on way before this.  I just found it to be so pronounced in the latest picture on Jill's IG that it startled me, but I guess that may just be because his face is thinner now.  

Swaddling is a fairly controversial practice.  It may have been practiced for ages and does seem to help many newborns but it may also contribute to hip dysplasia.  Some studies also find that the SIDS (SIDA) rate is higher among swaddled babies even when those babies sleep on their backs. It was a known risk factor when babies were placed in the prone (face-down) position, but at least one study says it is also true for babies in the supine position.  Most pedis and newborn/OB nurses don't recommend it at this time.

I happen to have a wonky eye; one has a heavier lid and is always more closed than the other. I think it started sometime in my 40's. Not quite as noticeable as Derrick's, but definitely asymmetrical. I don't think it has any neurological basis; I look at it as part of getting older.

2 hours ago, Hermen-uetics said:

The pictures of an unhappy swaddled baby who is probably too old to be swaddled - who does that, and then who posts that???

And then there is Dericks right eye, still really smaller than the left.   This picture is from Jill's Instagram.   The different sized eyes have been in other pictures too, so it's not that he is leaning into Jill.   I really hope he knows what is going on with that eye and any other issues he might be having on the right side of his face. 

Quality medical care Dillard's and Duggars, it's worth it.  

image.jpeg

Derrick looks like a cave man and about 50 years old

1 hour ago, notfundy said:

Thanks, @halcionne, for posting these wonky eye pics.  Yup, those sure do show that he's had the "different eye size" thing going on way before this.  I just found it to be so pronounced in the latest picture on Jill's IG that it startled me, but I guess that may just be because his face is thinner now.  

I am a little surprised by how much I feel better too.  I was worried a nerve was damaged during his surgery.  

I stand by my statement that quality heath care is worth it.  I bet the Duggars don't know that Obamacare and the Affordable Health Care Act are the same thing.  Maybe if we tell them they are buying insurance though the AHCA, the Duggars will think they are getting one over on the governement.

Just now, SportsgalAnnie said:

Derrick looks like a cave man and about 50 years old

Maybe, but he looks so much happier than he did living in AR.  I hope living away from the TTH influences, he can transition to fundi lite and work for a real mission organization.

My husband has one eye that is more squinty than the other. It's not a big deal.

As for the pictures...I could see how the pack n play photo could maybe be one of those "look...my baby rolled himself up" kind of things (I have one of my son though he's not pissed in it.) But the bed one definitely looks like he was intentionally swaddled....and then put on the bed. So bizarre.

Worthy of a call to CPS? Of course not. But still questionable parenting.

Though I don't really like a lot of the parenting I've seen from the Duggars. I think they man handle babies a lot more than I would, for example. And they are always lifting toddlers by their arms and stuff. It's just strange to me.

Unrelated....does anyone know what that blue and white thing is on the nightstand in the right of the photo?

Oh...and I also don't think those photos are indicative of blanket training. Especially not the pack n play one. Wouldn't someone blanket training NOT use a pack n play to contain a kid?

If this was anyone but a Duggar...I would probably think those photos were taken with a caption like "I guess someone doesn't want to be swaddled anymore. #nomoreswaddle" But with these people...who knows. Has anyone been able to figure out where Jill/Derick posted them?

2 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Swaddling is a technique where you wrap a baby in a blanket very snugly so they can't move their arms, legs much.  Many newborns really like it because they've been confined in the womb and it's very comforting to them.  

I've never seen it used past newborns...and I've never done it and left them laying alone.  The concept is wrapping them in a little cocoon of blanket and holding them usually while rocking which many find soothing.

None of mine wanted any part of it past a couple days old and then found it irritating so I dropped it.  Some babies like it a little longer...but not months IME.

Just to add, here is a link to How to Swaddle a Baby.  Also, this link says that the latest you should swaddle is around 6 months Swaddling 101.

13 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

My husband has one eye that is more squinty than the other. It's not a big deal.

As for the pictures...I could see how the pack n play photo could maybe be one of those "look...my baby rolled himself up" kind of things (I have one of my son though he's not pissed in it.) But the bed one definitely looks like he was intentionally swaddled....and then put on the bed. So bizarre.

Worthy of a call to CPS? Of course not. But still questionable parenting.

Though I don't really like a lot of the parenting I've seen from the Duggars. I think they man handle babies a lot more than I would, for example. And they are always lifting toddlers by their arms and stuff. It's just strange to me.

Unrelated....does anyone know what that blue and white thing is on the nightstand in the right of the photo?

Oh...and I also don't think those photos are indicative of blanket training. Especially not the pack n play one. Wouldn't someone blanket training NOT use a pack n play to contain a kid?

If this was anyone but a Duggar...I would probably think those photos were taken with a caption like "I guess someone doesn't want to be swaddled anymore. #nomoreswaddle" But with these people...who knows. Has anyone been able to figure out where Jill/Derick posted them?

The photos are posted on their website- in an album. 

2 minutes ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

Ugh! Just took a look at Derick's Instagram account. The picture of izzy shows him with a black eye! 

OMG people are commenting on that photo advocating blanket training, "don't knock it until you try it" WTF.

8 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

Thanks. I find their site to be kind of hard to navigate. Or maybe I'm just dumb. (Or maybe...both?)

No, their site (and the Seewald and Duggar ones) are really awfully designed. It's not you :) And welcome back!

2 minutes ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

Ugh! Just took a look at Derick's Instagram account. The picture of izzy shows him with a black eye! 

to be fair my mom always jokes she couldn't leave the house with me for a week when I was around 2 years old because I had a black eye. I would never describe my mother as negligent. kids fall. It happens. (not saying it could not be a warning sign. But all my siblings and me always had bruises all over because we played hard and did all the sports you can count...my mom definitely would NOT have posted a picture on social media though, especially without an explanation as to what happened. I mean, looks like Derick didn't even do the old "little guy was being rambunctious and got his first black eye" or something like that. sigh...

4 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

OMG people are commenting on that photo advocating blanket training, "don't knock it until you try it" WTF.

Speaking of bruises (my above post), I am currently slamming my head against the wall...the first part of that comment says "For those you you that think blanket training is idiotic, THEN complain as to why your child(ren) run around like baboons not respect anything of anyone's .... Maybe you should shut up for a second and try it before you knock it." 

baboons? Excuse me? Wow! 

Ha! Read that comment about kids running around like baboons, hmm, what does that say about the howlers and the lost boys? Did they not blanket train the younger kids correctly? 

@ClaraOswin, I don't know what that thing on the right hand nightstand is, but it's the same color as the bulb syringe that we got at the hospital.  We used it on snotty noses. I do see a box of Lansinoh products of some kind on the other nightstand.  I don't know if that box has breast pads in it or what, but it's definitely a Lansinoh box.

45 minutes ago, MakeItSo said:

to be fair my mom always jokes she couldn't leave the house with me for a week when I was around 2 years old because I had a black eye. I would never describe my mother as negligent. kids fall. It happens. (not saying it could not be a warning sign. But all my siblings and me always had bruises all over because we played hard and did all the sports you can count...my mom definitely would NOT have posted a picture on social media though, especially without an explanation as to what happened. I mean, looks like Derick didn't even do the old "little guy was being rambunctious and got his first black eye" or something like that. sigh...

Speaking of bruises (my above post), I am currently slamming my head against the wall...the first part of that comment says "For those you you that think blanket training is idiotic, THEN complain as to why your child(ren) run around like baboons not respect anything of anyone's .... Maybe you should shut up for a second and try it before you knock it." 

baboons? Excuse me? Wow! 

Well, blanket training has failed on many levels for this family then. Those kids walking on the counters. running amuck in the house, never wiping their feet and always acting like monkeys when inside. I have never noticed any of the howlers or smaller children respecting anyone or anyone else's belongings. I cringe every time one of them gets on a counter.

I remember them running around in the store when M got the wedding dress. I thought at the time that if I'd been a customer, I'd have been pissed. I would have left. Maybe the howlers didn't get blanket trained because they were already on tv, and didn't want to come across as abusive.

Also remember Jackson getting lost in the airport because he went to the bathroom alone. Really responsible parenting.

They're completely stupid and that is dangerous as hell. If he were able to get one arm out (which he's certainly big/strong enough to do) and roll over, he might get that arm trapped and not be able to push himself back. Babies suffocate like that. There was just a FB story about a Virginia woman who was prosecuted for manslaughter (!!) for putting her swaddled baby to sleep on his stomach and he suffocated in the blanket. I'm guessing these numbskulls did it to keep him from rolling off the bed. Get a damn travel crib! They make safe, portable ones. 

1 hour ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

Ha! Read that comment about kids running around like baboons, hmm, what does that say about the howlers and the lost boys? Did they not blanket train the younger kids correctly? 

Or the older ones. Joshie's blanket training didn't teach him to respect others.

Blanket training didn't teach respect, it taught obedience. When the authority figure was gone, there were no restraints. Duggars say they teach self control, but obviously it doesn't work.

39 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I remember them running around in the store when M got the wedding dress. I thought at the time that if I'd been a customer, I'd have been pissed. I would have left. Maybe the howlers didn't get blanket trained because they were already on tv, and didn't want to come across as abusive.

Also remember Jackson getting lost in the airport because he went to the bathroom alone. Really responsible parenting.

I think James may have been the last child to be blanket trained; I recall how afraid he was in "14 Children and Pregnant Again" when he was throwing the tantrum about not getting to go to Aldi's and Michelle whispered something in his ear, causing him to run back in the house. There was some speculation about this at TWOP, and I even remember some people dredging up old message board comments of Michelle's where she admitted blanket training whichever J'boy was a baby at the time.

11 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Blanket training didn't teach respect, it taught obedience. When the authority figure was gone, there were no restraints. Duggars say they teach self control, but obviously it doesn't work.

This. The howlers and lost girls were never taught to value other people and their property, especially those who weren't "like-minded." I doubt any of the kids were ever given solid reasons for following rules, other than "Jesus/Gothard says..." All they learned was to fear the rod, not self-control or respect for others.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived