IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Part 9: They slosh through the rain.

Coconut Flan

The Dillards encounter unexpected rainfall in Guatemala and shop for boots while pretending to learn Spanish.

Previous parts:

Part 1: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=25771

Part 2: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=25980

Part 3: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26270

Part 4: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26453

Part 5: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26572

Part 6: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26953

Part 7: http://www.freejinger.org/topic/24371-jill-duggar-dillard-pt-7-yall-wanna-pay-for-my-vacation/?page=1  

Part 8: http://www.freejinger.org/topic/24795-jill-duggar-dillard-part-8-they-call-him-choo-choo/?page=1

blog: Dillardfamily.com/blog

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We want to ask if anyone would be willing to sponsor these boys so they may learn English and improve their future.

Buh? Not that I would wish this on the boys, but do Jill and Derrick not speak English? Surely they would be willing to tutor the kids for free, especially after all the kids' mom has done for the Dillards?

...Actually, the more I think about it, the more I realize they're probably skewing what Jessica actually asked. Jessica probably asked for help with school fees, and gave the example of English as something she would like them to learn. The fact that she wants to send her kids to a school wouldn't play well for the fundie homeschool-exclusive elements of their fanbase, and driving home the point about learning English might play well to the America-is-best (or the "why can't the immigrants just learn English?") crowd.

I bet it's school fees.

23 minutes ago, FleeJanaFree said:

How about the family with the 19 kids that can afford a private plane? Are they able to donate some money? 

Money, yes. Teaching English, nope. Those 2 are not qualified.

Jill needs to learn how to speak the language first.

Interesting! I'm so cynical, I felt like the mother found an opportunity for her boys to get their school fees paid, if she pretended like she was interested in Jesus. 

34 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Buh? Not that I would wish this on the boys, but do Jill and Derrick not speak English? Surely they would be willing to tutor the kids for free, especially after all the kids' mom has done for the Dillards?

...Actually, the more I think about it, the more I realize they're probably skewing what Jessica actually asked. Jessica probably asked for help with school fees, and gave the example of English as something she would like them to learn. The fact that she wants to send her kids to a school wouldn't play well for the fundie homeschool-exclusive elements of their fanbase, and driving home the point about learning English might play well to the America-is-best (or the "why can't the immigrants just learn English?") crowd.

I bet it's school fees.

This is the thing about their updates and fundraising, they are so obtuse. If they are trying to raise money for school fees, they should just say this, and outline the costs involved. Many people would be more than happy to help a child obtain an education. All of their updates are like this, too general and full of christianese. They really have no idea what they are doing, and I can't see them making this work long term.

12 minutes ago, KSmom said:

This is the thing about their updates and fundraising, they are so obtuse. If they are trying to raise money for school fees, they should just say this, and outline the costs involved. Many people would be more than happy to help a child obtain an education. All of their updates are like this, too general and full of christianese. They really have no idea what they are doing, and I can't see them making this work long term.

Are we sure Derrick has a degree in accounting?  I have never before encountered an accountant who was so vague about money.

As you say, they need to be clear about what money is needed and what for.  

It is possible that the mother wants to send the boys to a bilingual school, which is attended by expatriates' kids and the select (wealthy) among the locals.  

It is also possible that Jill is looking for enough money to bring the kids to the US for a period of time to stay with an American (Duggar?) family.

It is possible this is just a way of grifting more money for the Dillards, who will give English lessons to the kids and pay themselves.

Or maybe, as others have suggested, the woman just wants help with regular school fees.

We can only speculate.

32 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Money, yes. Teaching English, nope. Those 2 are not qualified.

Jill needs to learn how to speak the language first.

You can teach English without speaking someone's native language.  Or do you mean Jill & Beavis need to learn English?

I think the Dillards are being grifted.  Which actually makes me very happy!   I think the Guatemalan mom figured out that they are some possibly connected expats who may be able to fund her kids' education, so she's going along with the fundie conversion and Sweet Jebus talk.  

Sadly, it is a regular occurrence for expats to be approached about funding private education or sponsoring children in the US for education.  Parents are simply working the best angle for their kids.

22 minutes ago, KSmom said:

.     Not to mention people like to know exactly what their money is going towards. Yeah, I want to donate money for vague English lessons.

I think Jill not learning Spanish puts her in a bad posisition. They live in a country that is incredibly unstable, violent and corrupt. She has to rely an awful lot on the people around her and get all her information second hand. I think the fact that they are semi famous puts them at risk for kidnapping. 

Because I am nosy, and this whole fake mission thing that the Duggars do bugs me like no other, I went to their website and looked at their donate page. So, there is just a place to give an amount and how frequent you are giving, there is no place to designate your gift. This is quite fishy, if a gift is given for a specific fund raising purpose, the money has to go that purpose. I don't necessarily think that Derick and Jill purposely are trying to scam people, I just really think that they have no idea what they are doing, and they just think that good intentions will get them by.  People like this do more harm than good, if you aren't going to put the work in to actually bring help, then just stay home.

(I hope that these boys are actually able to get good English lessons. Since they live in a tourist area, knowing English could enable them to get a much better job, and actually help them in the long term).

30 minutes ago, MatthewDuggar said:

You can teach English without speaking someone's native language.  Or do you mean Jill & Beavis need to learn English?

Si- they need to learn their native language before they can teach the language to others. Bwahhh- I cannot imagine how long it will take them to actually learn Spanish well enough to converse. How many years has Jill been going to Central America with her family? How long did she take classes with Mrs Jackson? Remember when people used to claim that Jill was bilingual? My they have fallen far and hard. I just hope that it won't take a tragedy for people to realize that Jill is not an actual midwife.

Why ask for money for little kids to learn English? Who are they going to pay to learn English? Why not ask for tuition for a good school, not just fees to learn English. I would prefer that they get the best possible education they can get in their own language regardless of whether English is taught. This will lead to a better job. It won't be very helpful if they learn English but can't read, write or do math while living in their home country. I would rather the kids be on the road to med school while only speaking Spanish than learning English but having a substandard education. 

I also don't trust Jill and Derrick with any type of donation. If they had any common sense, which is debatable, they would ask that donations be sent directly to the school in the kids name. They might even be able to get the school to give a special rate if the money is paid in U.S. dollars. Call me cynical but I highly doubt that this family has never heard of Jesus.

2 hours ago, MatthewDuggar said:

I dunno, after teaching English in China, I can tell you that having at least rudimentary knowledge of the student's native language makes class and teaching go so much more smoothly, since you can explain grammar rules, make cross-language comparisons, and develop a relationship with the student. That's my personal experience, the research I'm doing for my Master's supports it, but I see the value and benefit of full immersion/having class entirely in the target language.

4 hours ago, YourGodIsNotMine said:

The thread title is hilarious. 

Agreed. how the hell is this a story line for a tv show? I mean really... this is bad even for TLC...

7 minutes ago, InThePrayerCloset said:

Agreed. how the hell is this a story line for a tv show? I mean really... this is bad even for TLC...

Rain is literally the only thing going on in the lives of those two. 

the fact that Jill will take it upon herself to educate the women of Central America and disperse "Old Wives Tales"...is that just scary to me or...? 

2 hours ago, socalrules said:

Why ask for money for little kids to learn English? Who are they going to pay to learn English? Why not ask for tuition for a good school, not just fees to learn English. I would prefer that they get the best possible education they can get in their own language regardless of whether English is taught. This will lead to a better job. It won't be very helpful if they learn English but can't read, write or do math while living in their home country. I would rather the kids be on the road to med school while only speaking Spanish than learning English but having a substandard education. 

I also don't trust Jill and Derrick with any type of donation. If they had any common sense, which is debatable, they would ask that donations be sent directly to the school in the kids name. They might even be able to get the school to give a special rate if the money is paid in U.S. dollars. Call me cynical but I highly doubt that this family has never heard of Jesus.

If the Spanish teacher isn't just someone they met on the street holding a sign: "Lern Espanish cheep in yur casa," she is probably someone who was recommended as a teacher, which suggests she is a woman with at least highschool and probably some higher education. I don't think there is a risk that the kids will not learn to read and write in Spanish.  (I would guess that her English is not as bad as Jill's Spanish or they could not be talking about the Bible or anything else.)

I agree that before starting another money collection, Jill and Derek need to make clear how much money they are trying to collect and exactly what for.  (I am inclined to believe that the teacher may want to get her kids into one of the bilingual schools and/or wants opportunities for her sons to come to the US to study.  It probably isn't just grifting for regular school fees.) 

38 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

If the Spanish teacher isn't just someone they met on the street holding a sign: "Lern Espanish cheep in yur casa," she is probably someone who was recommended as a teacher, which suggests she is a woman with at least highschool and probably some higher education. I don't think there is a risk that the kids will not learn to read and write in Spanish.  (I would guess that her English is not as bad as Jill's Spanish or they could not be talking about the Bible or anything else.)

I agree that before starting another money collection, Jill and Derek need to make clear how much money they are trying to collect and exactly what for.  (I am inclined to believe that the teacher may want to get her kids into one of the bilingual schools and/or wants opportunities for her sons to come to the US to study.  It probably isn't just grifting for regular school fees.) 

Since Derick is going to some kind of school for language classes, I would guess that Jill found her teacher through them. I think the bilingual school is probably a good bet, but not coming to the US, they are too young to be able to get a student visa. But, if she wanted them to have a chance to come to college in the US they would need to be able to speak English and have all of their tuition and living expenses before they could come. (required for a student visa)

58 minutes ago, MakeItSo said:

the fact that Jill will take it upon herself to educate the women of Central America and disperse "Old Wives Tales"...is that just scary to me or...? 

Old wives' tales have more credibility than some of her religious beliefs.

I'm still horrified at the thought of Jill saying she's a "midwife" and all these women believing her. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived