IGNORED

Jill & Jessa Special, Sunday, December 20

Coconut Flan

Medicaid is not only available to unemployed people. I have (two, now) jobs and I'm under Medicaid coverage because my yearly income is below a certain amount.

I do really doubt that Jessa or Ben would qualify for Medicaid because between the speaking engagements they've had and the suspected speaking rate for the Duggar family in general, they have probably made more than I do per year. But I don't know for sure because we don't know what they charge or what they individually have made per tv program. I just felt it made sense to discuss the Medicaid thing, the applicable parties have been broadened since Obamacare came about. If you can't afford better insurance, basically, you're covered for free by Medicaid.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, mebeforee said:

Medicaid is not only available to unemployed people. I have (two, now) jobs and I'm under Medicaid coverage because my yearly income is below a certain amount.

I do really doubt that Jessa or Ben would qualify for Medicaid because between the speaking engagements they've had and the suspected speaking rate for the Duggar family in general, they have probably made more than I do per year. But I don't know for sure because we don't know what they charge or what they individually have made per tv program. I just felt it made sense to discuss the Medicaid thing, the applicable parties have been broadened since Obamacare came about. If you can't afford better insurance, basically, you're covered for free by Medicaid.

I agree; they're making plenty of money between the specials and the speaking engagements. So no Medicare.  They probably have some sort of insurance.  Are those Christian exchange thingies acceptable as valid insurance in Arkansas?

Being under 30, I think they only need to have catastrophic insurance to avoid tax penalties. 

They either have insurance or have made the choice to pay the penalty on their income tax. Paying the penalty is throwing money away, and with so many pregnancies that could go horribly wrong I'm guessing everyone went through the market place in whichever groupings are least expensive given that age and marital status rules are different under the ACA. 

Also, Jessa is only 23. She's still covered by her parents' insurance. Ben is younger, and would also be covered by his parents' insurance if they have it. Marriage does not remove coverage for people's children within the age range (unless they get their own coverage, of course).

I do assume that the Duggar family has some insurance plan because paying out of pocket for that many children for pediatricians, eye doctors and dentists seems like the cost would make it illogical to pay out of pocket for everything. But out of all the married kids, only Josh, Anna and Derick are at the age where they're no longer covered by their family's insurance.

Re: Anna staying in the dorm - while this arrangement sucks for Anna, I also feel sorry for the duggar girls! Anna has a newborn! Can you imagine being 8 years old and kept up at all hours of the night by your crying niece in your room? At least Michelle kept the babies in her room until they were old and used up - even Jana probably isn't used to sharing a room with a newborn. :tw_frown:

16 hours ago, Buzzard said:

And thats why I dont believe that TLC will continue with the Duggars.  Its not a matter of IF Josh strays, its WHEN.  He's not capable of living the fundie lifestyle, or keeping it in his pants... 

This is why I am not too up in arms over the specials being the Duggars' segway back into a regular TV gig.   Josh will blow it again, it's only a matter of time.   That, or there are other skeletons in his closet that will make their way out.    I really don't think we have heard all of his "sins" by a long shot.    Josh is the gift that will keep on giving.

I'm somewhat devoted to the Investigation Discovery channel and Homicide Hunter when I'm away from home (like now).  If that Jissa (Jella?) Special ad comes on ONE MORE TIME, I'm a gonna scream.  The 911 call (She's bleeding after home childbirth!) and the birth pangs.  ACK.  Yes, it seems like an odd ad for Investigation Discovery, but there you have it. 

That Spurgeon is a BIG baby; sounds like an arduous and painful home birth.  Glad she had access to a hospital for transfusions to, um, save her life. 

Do we know what there ratings were during their last regular season as compared to now? I know they were TLCs biggest draw, but that's not saying much. They are definetly more famous (infamous?) post the Joshley scandals.

21 hours ago, Buzzard said:

And thats why I dont believe that TLC will continue with the Duggars.  Its not a matter of IF Josh strays, its WHEN.  He's not capable of living the fundie lifestyle, or keeping it in his pants... 

Sorry, but to me, this is a strange comment.

I think it's *likely* Josh will stray again. Maybe a 85-90% chance (not to sound like Ken Alexander). But he is a human being, a person I don't know, so I allow for the chance that he still can turn his life around. A small chance, maybe, but how could you say it's not there? Especially not knowing him.

To say he WILL stray, that it's a matter of WHEN. . . it's almost like you are hoping it's true. Hoping those little kids won't ever have a functional, good father. I don't get that.

18 hours ago, JenniferJuniper said:

I agree; they're making plenty of money between the specials and the speaking engagements. So no Medicare.  They probably have some sort of insurance.  Are those Christian exchange thingies acceptable as valid insurance in Arkansas?

Being under 30, I think they only need to have catastrophic insurance to avoid tax penalties. 

If you are part of a Christian (or whatever type) medical cost-sharing program, you are considered to have met the individual mandate to carry insurance, regardless of the state you live in. The cost sharing program does not actually have to meet the same standards of true medical insurance coverage, and I have yet to see one that does. 

13 minutes ago, Hisey said:

I think it's *likely* Josh will stray again. Maybe a 85-90% chance (not to sound like Ken Alexander). But he is a human being, a person I don't know, so I allow for the chance that he still can turn his life around. A small chance, maybe, but how could you say it's not there? Especially not knowing him.

To say he WILL stray, that it's a matter of WHEN. . . it's almost like you are hoping it's true. Hoping those little kids won't ever have a functional, good father. I don't get that.

Whether or not Josh "strays" again has very little to do with his ability to be a functional father IMO. The biggest benefit for everyone involved would be for J&A to take several large steps away from fundiedom. They could real counseling from a qualified therapist, and they could choose to rebuild their marriage or not. As a single man (if that were to happen), Josh could have whatever relationships he wanted or have casual sex if he wanted, and still (potentially) be a good father. 

Regardless of what happens with his marriage, Josh won't be a good father if he continues to raise his children under IBLP though. That lifestyle is toxic.

Because I didn't have anything better to do last night, I watched Part 2 last night.  I was surprised at how effective Anna's talking heads were-- easily the best clips of any Duggar show.  She's never been a favorite of mine but she seemed real and struggling to say exactly what she felt rather than spewing out the memorized bullshit.  Half that marriage is good and strong but unfortunately it takes two.

I thought for a brief second that Jill and Derick's adventures in Central America might be interesting but three things killed it for me .  First, Jill's voice.  I loathe her speaking voice.  It is high, nasal and monotone; awful to listen to for any length of time.  Second, the uglification of Derick.  I thought he was cute when he first showed up but my god has he become hideous quickly. I just can't get over how repulsive he looks. In one of his talking heads he looked mentally challenged. Third, the Mission-cation aspect.  When they were wandering the streets, hand in hand, meeting people I was quite jealous, it looked like a lovely adventure.  Then I reminded myself that I can't just take off and spend a month in "Central America" because I'm not independently wealthy and require a paycheck.  It's a mystery how these two manage to just play all day and do what they want without having to answer to anyone.  I know TLC is funding them them now but how were they planning on proceeding before the specials were OKed?  Were they really expecting their fans to pay for everything?

During the special Derick says that they will be in language school for about one month.  It's been a month since Spurge was born so they must be getting ready to move on by now.

The over-the-top baby shower just shows how rich the Duggars are now.  That baby food contest made my eyes bug out because the boys must have walked out of the grocery store with over $100.00 worth of food-- for one game! I wonder if that bothers any of their fundie fans who have to exist on rice and beans.

1 hour ago, Hisey said:

I'm not hoping Josh will stray, but it seems to me that he has established a pattern of sexual aggression, cheating, and lying, and Jesus Boot Camp/Rehab isn't going to solve his underlying problems or make him the fundie brother, son, and husband that his family wants him to be. The first Ashley Madison account was established when he was still living in Grandma Duggar's house, which means that he got bored of Anna quite early in their marriage. Just think about how much money the AM accounts cost and the encounters with Danica Dillion cost, money that should have been used on his growing brood of M-kids. It is also possible that Josh was spending money on other women who haven't come forward, but the money spend on AM and Dillion alone is not insignificant, especially when you're quiverfull and there's always another "blessing" about to come. Josh knows how to play the Gothardite game and what buzz words and catchphrases need to be said to get everyone else to trust him, which I why I don't think this latest stay at Jesus Rehab is going to be useful (whether such programs are of use at all is a good question, but beyond the scope of this post). Based on his past history and the inability of the Duggars to think about what is motivating Josh other than Satan building fortresses (as opposed to being unhappy with Gothardism/quiverfull or possibly having a deeper psychological problem) I would say that the possibility of him cheating again is quite high.

Many posters have been saying that there will likely be a "Josh comes home" special next spring. This led me to wonder what's going on in Smuggar's small brain. Anna claimed that it was HIS idea to go to the rehab center, but I very much doubt it. After Smuggar confessed to Jim-Boob, I would guess that Boob laid down an ultimatum: Go to rehab, or we will never acknowledge you as a member of this family again. I really don't think Smuggar had much choice.

So now Smuggar's in a place where he has none of the "perks" he used to enjoy in DC: public attention, social approval, a paying job (for doing very little), a sweet wife and kids, and apparently some nookie on the side. If and when he returns, all he gets back are the wife and kids. No job, no home (what happened to their Arkansas house??), and definitely no approval--maybe no attention, either, if his parents decide he is bad for their brand.

The man clearly has certain deep sexual drives that are unlikely to disappear. If his wife, his children, and his religion failed to prevent him from indulging his sexual appetites for the past seven years, why would they stop him now?

My guess is he feels everything has been taken from him. And coming back to a life where he will be under the thumb of Me-chelle and Jim-Boob is very unlikely to persuade him to keep to the straight and narrow path of fundamentalist rules.

The over-the-top baby shower just shows how rich the Duggars are now.  That baby food contest made my eyes bug out because the boys must have walked out of the grocery store with over $100.00 worth of food-- for one game! I wonder if that bothers any of their fundie fans who have to exist on rice and beans.

I'm sure the food was expensed as a production cost. But it was still is gross first world waste. There are hungry people in this country ffs. I thought that blatant wastefulness took balls.

7 hours ago, Howl said:

I'm somewhat devoted to the Investigation Discovery channel and Homicide Hunter when I'm away from home (like now).  If that Jissa (Jella?) Special ad comes on ONE MORE TIME, I'm a gonna scream.  The 911 call (She's bleeding after home childbirth!) and the birth pangs.  ACK.  Yes, it seems like an odd ad for Investigation Discovery, but there you have it. 

That Spurgeon is a BIG baby; sounds like an arduous and painful home birth.  Glad she had access to a hospital for transfusions to, um, save her life. 

Ooo, I love ID!(It's my go-to channel during the baseball offseason.)Since it's under the same corporate umbrella, you can't escape those ads.  I believe I've also seen them on Science Channel during How It's Made (I'm weird, sue me. :pb_lol:)

Has it been discussed why the kids (ignorantly) choose home births? Michelle did hospital births, didn't she? I just can't imagine why Jessa thought that nonsense was a good idea after her "I was a 10 lb baby" speech. Trying to birth a 10 lb baby at home with your first is absolutely insane

51 minutes ago, Mrsaztx said:

Has it been discussed why the kids (ignorantly) choose home births? Michelle did hospital births, didn't she? I just can't imagine why Jessa thought that nonsense was a good idea after her "I was a 10 lb baby" speech. Trying to birth a 10 lb baby at home with your first is absolutely insane

To show how better they are than women who give birth in hospitals with pain meds

2 hours ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

I was offended by the food waste, but then, I have this crazy notion that Christians should be poor in spirit and concerned with feeding the hungry.  

10 minutes ago, Toothfairy said:

To show how better they are than women who give birth in hospitals with pain meds

Ah, but of course. I wonder if Jill is going to try it again. For the sake of her present child not growing up motherless I hope not, but she's such a damn fool, thinking she's a birth expert and all, I could see her trying and rupturing her uterus. I'm hoping that's why they're discussing adoption presently, to give her some time to heal up

1 hour ago, Drala said:

I was offended by the food waste, but then, I have this crazy notion that Christians should be poor in spirit and concerned with feeding the hungry.  

Hey, if you ask Ken Alexander, starvation isn't such a bad way to go...

4 hours ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

Because I didn't have anything better to do last night, I watched Part 2 last night.  I was surprised at how effective Anna's talking heads were-- easily the best clips of any Duggar show.  She's never been a favorite of mine but she seemed real and struggling to say exactly what she felt rather than spewing out the memorized bullshit.  Half that marriage is good and strong but unfortunately it takes two.

I thought for a brief second that Jill and Derick's adventures in Central America might be interesting but three things killed it for me .  First, Jill's voice.  I loathe her speaking voice.  It is high, nasal and monotone; awful to listen to for any length of time.  Second, the uglification of Derick.  I thought he was cute when he first showed up but my god has he become hideous quickly. I just can't get over how repulsive he looks. In one of his talking heads he looked mentally challenged. Third, the Mission-cation aspect.  When they were wandering the streets, hand in hand, meeting people I was quite jealous, it looked like a lovely adventure.  Then I reminded myself that I can't just take off and spend a month in "Central America" because I'm not independently wealthy and require a paycheck.  It's a mystery how these two manage to just play all day and do what they want without having to answer to anyone.  I know TLC is funding them them now but how were they planning on proceeding before the specials were OKed?  Were they really expecting their fans to pay for everything?

During the special Derick says that they will be in language school for about one month.  It's been a month since Spurge was born so they must be getting ready to move on by now.

Amen!

• Buzzard locked this topic

Archived