IGNORED

Jill & Jessa Special, Sunday, December 20

Coconut Flan

59 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

A little off topic but Derek is looking hella rough. Is that just because of the surgery recovery or what? 

I think it is more than the after effects of his palate expansion surgery, although that certainly seems to be a contributing factor.  In the most recent photos posted, he is looking somewhat healthier but for awhile he looked like death warmed over.  Prior to his marriage, he had a haircut that complemented his face and was attractive.  Post marriage, it looks like Jill puts a bowl on his head and wacks away.  (I can easily believe that she would not want any other woman cutting his hair.)

I am curious why he chose to have the palate expansion and braces at this particular point in time.  I speculate it might have been because he finally had decent insurance through his employment.  With the TLC money, was he able to pay the full cost of his braces up front?  Even if he and Jill expected Israel to be born a week or two sooner, it was still a very odd time to elect to have this procedure done, because it seems likely he was advised that it would affect him physically in a significant way.  Why choose to have that done right after the birth of your child, when your wife and child could be needing extra time and attention from you?

Last but not least - perhaps in the dim recesses of his mind, late at night when his conscious defenses are down, maybe some doubt is creeping in.  What the hell did I marry into?  

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it was a medical necessity, why wasn't it done sooner, like over a summer during high school or college?  He would've been on his mom's insurance  policy until he graduated college, most likely. 

Why after marriage and right after the birth of his first child? 

Imagine20 - exactly.  It seems like it was elective - so why not either have it done sooner, as you suggest, or at least wait until after the baby was born, things settle down at home, and then schedule this big procedure?  It doesn't make sense to me.

5 hours ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

...... <snip>....... 

Third, the Mission-cation aspect.  When they were wandering the streets, hand in hand, meeting people I was quite jealous, it looked like a lovely adventure.  Then I reminded myself that I can't just take off and spend a month in "Central America" because I'm not independently wealthy and require a paycheck.  It's a mystery how these two manage to just play all day and do what they want without having to answer to anyone.  I know TLC is funding them them now but how were they planning on proceeding before the specials were OKed?  Were they really expecting their fans to pay for everything?

During the special Derick says that they will be in language school for about one month.  It's been a month since Spurge was born so they must be getting ready to move on by now.

...... <snip>.......

I get the feeling that they were not really planning anything.  I think they went off on this "mission" without thinking it through and have been playing it by ear.  If the money were to run out, they would come home, but based on things they have said, I think Derrick has hopes of being appointed to some job in the Central American mission field.  Maybe his hopes have not been realized yet and the "appointment" he hopes for hasn't come through yet,or maybe he has to pass a language test before his appointment and hasn't passed it yet, or maybe they are making such good progress converting their teachers that they are going to sign up for a few more weeks of language classes to save those souls!!

Imagine20 - exactly.  It seems like it was elective - so why not either have it done sooner, as you suggest, or at least wait until after the baby was born, things settle down at home, and then schedule this big procedure?  It doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe he didn't have dental insurance through his mom before his WalMart job, or maybe it wouldn't cover the procedure? There's also speculation that he did the surgery/braces when he did because he wad afraid of losing his WalMart job & insurance.

It all seemed rushed and not very well thought out-- the palate extension and the first trip to Central America. Maybe he misjudged how difficult the recovery was going to be or perhaps he had already planned the surgery back when he was working and wanted to combine Israel's birth with some medical leave. At the time of the procedure he might have still been planning on returning to work.

A little late to the party but did anyone notice that in all her interviews Anna seems to be smiling (or rather trying to keep a happy countenance) on the right half of her face but the left half doesn't seem to mirror that. Could that perhaps be because of how much she's struggling with things? 

22 hours ago, Toothfairy said:

31 minutes ago, Blueruin said:

A little late to the party but did anyone notice that in all her interviews Anna seems to be smiling (or rather trying to keep a happy countenance) on the right half of her face but the left half doesn't seem to mirror that. Could that perhaps be because of how much she's struggling with things? 

I didn't see this special, just read the recaps, but the last season of the show I noticed she had that going on, it wasn't super pronounced but it seemed to be increasing with time. She didn't seem to do it when they flashed back to her and josh courting. I wonder if it's a stress-related tic, since it seems she would have plenty of practice keeping her negative emotions off her face if she was in control of it

20 hours ago, EmmieJ said:

I'm not sure if it was cosmetic or whether he really had a medical problem like TMJ that was causing him pain.  Either way, there is no way he wasn't told how difficult the recovery would be.

I started having jaw pain at 25 and the doctor I saw said it was a shame my palate hadn't been expanded with an expander as a kid, because it was really too late now as the surgery and recovery would be so difficult with no guarantee of complete success eliminating the pain.

This was not emergency surgery.  The timing is completely bizarre. 

Hey, all --
Sorry for the dumb-duggar question, but ... is there another episode on tomorrow night (the 27th)?  Tried to look on TLC but didn't find the info.  Also don't want them to think I'm really that interested!

Okay - just saw the answer on TLC.  The next Counting On episode is tomorrow night, the 27th.

1. Will there be a new thread?
2. Will Buzzard be doing a recap?

Sorry if this has already been posted, but the ratings declined for the second episode.

“The Real Housewives of Atlanta” (1.4) was steady with the previous week and led the day in adults 18-49.  “Keeping Up with the Kardashians” (0.9) was also even, while “Jill & Jessa: Counting On” (0.7) dipped 0.1 from its premiere. Hallmark’s movie “Christmas Land” was No. 1 in viewers with 4.24 million.

Show Net Time Viewers

18-49

REAL HOUSEWIVES ATLANTA BRVO 8:00 PM 2863 1.4
SUNDAY MOVIE FAM 7:00 PM 2712 1.0
SUNDAY MOVIE FAM 9:15 PM 2522 1.0
FAMILY GUY ADSM 11:00 PM 1948 0.9
KEEPING UP KARDASHIANS ENT 9:00 PM 1893 0.9
FAMILY GUY ADSM 10:30 PM 1799 0.8
INTO THE BADLANDS AMC 10:00 PM 2159 0.8
BIG BANG THEORY, THE TBSC 10:00 PM 2140 0.8
AMERICAN DAD ADSM 10:00 PM 1730 0.8
ALASKA: THE LAST FRONTIER DISC 9:00 PM 3033 0.8
RICK & MORTY ADSM 11:30 PM 1436 0.7
HOMELAND S5 SHO1 9:03 PM 2073 0.7
BIG BANG THEORY, THE TBSC 10:30 PM 1802 0.7
JILL & JESSA: COUNTING ON TLC 9:00 PM 1895 0.7

In the key 18-49 rating, the Duggars were #8 on Sunday for the first episode, but fell to #14 for the second episode. See the chart.

Let's see the ratings for Sunday's episode. Even with the decline, I am going to predict that TLC renews the show. Married by Mom and Dad (on after the Duggars) wasn't even a Top 100 Cable Show.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/12/22/sunday-cable-ratings-dec-20-2015/

It is such a weird time for TLC to show these episodes. Normally reruns are shown around the holidays because people are busy, travelling, etc. Networks usually don't want to waste a new episode when the ratings will generally be lower. Maybe they were hoping people would be bored of reruns and tune in or they didn't want to put the shows at a date/time they could put a bigger show that would bring more sponser revenue. 

3 hours ago, Blueruin said:

I noticed that too and it made me worry.  She really has no outlet to express her feelings: no counseling, no heart-to-hearts with a sympathetic friend, no going outside and screaming at the top of her lungs for heaven's sake. She has to be perfect at all times. I sometimes would get an eye-blinking tic in college at exam times. I wonder if Anna's facial tic is similar to what I went (walked) through. :/

Another thing that occurred to me, some of the 'kids' on the shows and specials, new husbands and Priscilla W on YouTube seem a bit slow at times. I was raised in what I now consider a  fundie cult. I was constantly self-editing what I said at home and church in an effort to retain my sense of self .  Replies to questions required time for a mental WTF, regrouping and constructing the right statement that I could say without getting myself or anyone else in trouble, using as few words as possible.   That can make you seem a bit slow.  I was often so tongue tied in my early 20s that I could see classmates, bosses, ect  thinking to themselves that perhaps I wasn't the sharpest crayon in the box. I'm glad I had actual skills that enabled me to do well despite my 'handicap'  It took decades for me to find my voice, especially being a sensitive and very shy person by nature.

A co-worker I had in my 20s once sarcastically called me 'god's perfect little angel' in regard to the persona I had developed as a defense. I never told her about my background, yet I guess it was obvious. 

Sorry for the novel but sometimes a girl just has to vent. ;)

35 minutes ago, Jucifer said:

I noticed that too and it made me worry.  She really has no outlet to express her feelings: no counseling, no heart-to-hearts with a sympathetic friend, no going outside and screaming at the top of her lungs for heaven's sake. She has to be perfect at all times. I sometimes would get an eye-blinking tic in college at exam times. I wonder if Anna's facial tic is similar to what I went (walked) through. :/

Another thing that occurred to me, some of the 'kids' on the shows and specials, new husbands and Priscilla W on YouTube seem a bit slow at times. I was raised in what I now consider a  fundie cult. I was constantly self-editing what I said at home and church in an effort to retain my sense of self .  Replies to questions required time for a mental WTF, regrouping and constructing the right statement that I could say without getting myself or anyone else in trouble, using as few words as possible.   That can make you seem a bit slow.  I was often so tongue tied in my early 20s that I could see classmates, bosses, ect  thinking to themselves that perhaps I wasn't the sharpest crayon in the box. I'm glad I had actual skills that enabled me to do well despite my 'handicap'  It took decades for me to find my voice, especially being a sensitive and very shy person by nature.

A co-worker I had in my 20s once sarcastically called me 'god's perfect little angel' in regard to the persona I had developed as a defense. I never told her about my background, yet I guess it was obvious. 

Sorry for the novel but sometimes a girl just has to vent. ;)

I so heartily agree with this, and can definitely relate. You put it so well! I am still working on finding my voice...

The Special #3 thread hasn't been started so I'm posting here.

http://www.people.com/article/anna-duggar-says-struggles-following

In this video, Anna and Jessa are filmed having a conversation, yet while Anna is talking she says, "The house is so different, it's definitely Jessa and Ben's house" instead of saying, "this is definitely your and Ben's house"...lol. So scripted. Obviously talking to the audience and not the actual person in front of her (Jessa).

She also compares her life currently to living in labor.  Then when she breaks down in tears Jessa doesn't do much of any consoling. Yikes!

I haven't seen the special, and even if I did, I am not a doctor... but when my grandparents were sick my uncle got bell's palsy, which froze a side of his face. I'm not sure if the cause is known (virus, inflammation, etc.) but it seems to manifest alongside stress.

On December 25, 2015 at 7:15 PM, mebeforee said:

Medicaid is not only available to unemployed people. I have (two, now) jobs and I'm under Medicaid coverage because my yearly income is below a certain amount.

I do really doubt that Jessa or Ben would qualify for Medicaid because between the speaking engagements they've had and the suspected speaking rate for the Duggar family in general, they have probably made more than I do per year. But I don't know for sure because we don't know what they charge or what they individually have made per tv program. I just felt it made sense to discuss the Medicaid thing, the applicable parties have been broadened since Obamacare came about. If you can't afford better insurance, basically, you're covered for free by Medicaid.

This isn't true in all states. Some states have refused to expand their Medicaid programs and now have a Medicaid "gap". A person who earns too little to qualify for a tax credit on health insurance through the online exchange may not be "poor enough" to qualify for Medicaid. Unfortunately, my state is one of these and people I love fall into this gap. They can't get insurance, but they also don't have to pay a tax penalty for being uninsured. It really sucks. (Sorry I don't have any links to a good description of the "gap".)

Florida did not expand Medicaid. I don't make enough at my part-time job to qualify for "Obamacare".  A few years back, I applied for Medicaid thinking that my low income would surely qualify me, but just being low income does not make one eligible. You also have to be pregnant or have minor children or be officially disabled or be old enough to be considered "elderly".  Can't remember all the exact criteria, but I did not qualify despite my low income.  My health is not good and I can't work a full-time job...am pushing myself hard to be able to keep doing the PT one I've had for 12 years now.  I'm glad that Obamacare has helped a lot of folks get insurance, but it can't help me.  I'm too poor to qualify for the program.

Oh, and almost none of the doctors in our area take Medicaid anyway. 

55 minutes ago, Tikobaby said:

My health is not good and I can't work a full-time job...am pushing myself hard to be able to keep doing the PT one I've had for 12 years now.

Have you tried going through the tedious process of getting funded for Social Security disability payments? My aunt was able to get some funding after providing (lots of...) documentation about how her ability to work had deteriorated.

Derick had a lot of stressors going on within a short period of time, and they probably have all contributed to his current "look".  He was thin to begin with and the palate surgery didn't help.  In addition, I really don't think he anticipated Jill being as clingy as she is.  She didn't seem to like him being away from her when he was working, and I suspect her issues *totally* hit the fan following the Joshley Madison revelations.  Bet he gets a text if he's five minutes late coming back from...anywhere, and we know she can turn on the tears.

Will we get to see Jessa's midwife tomorrow or will it be Michelle who catches the Spurgeon?

I just finished watching Pride and Prejudice (1980 version of BBC) and switched directly to Jill and Jessa counting on episode 2. What a difference! I'm sorry, but they all sound really dumb and uneducated, even Jana. The whole time I was watching Jane Austen I thought that there are several similarities to the Quiverfull movement like stay at home daughters who's only goal is to marry well and produce heirs to their husbands. And rank seems to be very important to them, too, aka "fundie royalty" or not. I bet the Bates' and the Duggars think that they kind of live in a Jane Austen novel since they seem quite wealthy in comparison to other quiverfullers. The problem is: Jane Austen was  upper class, as well as all characters in her books. All the other women had to work their butts off, not only at home but in their husbands occupation, too. They all worked to get the money in. Stay at home mothers and daughters have always been and will always be an upper class phenomenon. The quiverfull movement simply cannot work only because of that. There are others reasons, but this is also one.

when they showed Jill and Derick in  Guatemala I thought that everything looked well groomed and nice, the streets where clean, houses looked nice, the people too. What are they doing there? It doesn't look more dangerous than any other city or village in the western world...in fact, it looked less dangerous than most cities I've been to. It really has the feel of a relaxed , tranquil language vacation.

So weird that they think people need help there just because of their catholic faith. I mean , most of these houses looked better furnished (inside and out) than most people would dream to own in their lifetime. What are they thinking?

• Buzzard locked this topic

Archived