IGNORED

Jill & Jessa Special, Sunday, December 20

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, nokidsmom said:

Comparing husbands to their brothers is whack.  These are completely different relationships and it shows how the messed up this family is that they can't see the differences in relationships: between father and kids, siblings, husbands or whomever. 

Now as far as the husbands allowing it?  Not sure if either Derrick or Ben have processed that the "wholesome Christian family" they married into is very messed up indeed.   Think Derrick is now getting a clue and perhaps realizing that he's got his work cut out for him but Ben still has a ways to go. 

This is bananas, I had never realized they side hug everyone, but since this thread brought it up, it opens up a whole other level of creepy. Isn't the reason for the side hug that a normal hug gets the unmarrieds too stirred up? But if they are side hugging sisters, brothers, parents, etc aren't they essentially saying that *any* human contact is sexual? That is just beyond creepy. "Sorry, dad, no hugs in case you get defrauded (aka sexually stimulated, let's not sugar coat it) by your teen daughter" "nope, side hugs amongst sister because I might just go raging incestuous lesbian given the opportunity". What the actual f*ck, you guys?

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully the adult Duggar children's interpretations of QF will be more nuanced than those of their parents. At the very least, perhaps they can find some way of somehow justifying the Godliness of their choices to not have mega-families...

I knew a family when I was younger that fostered and adopted many children and they had chosen to only have two biological children. They still considered their choice to reflect trusting God to ultimately decide their family size by being open to taking in as many children as "God brought their way," but biologically they chose to only replace themselves. 

I can respect that kind of reasoning from people who are still entrenched in that way of thinking, but figure out a way to proceed in a more ethical way and help more people in the process. 

7 hours ago, Marissap said:

I was a huge nerd when I was little (maybe still am?) but I LOVED looking through both the Sears and JCP catalog when they came in the mail. I would seriously look at every single page of that monstrosity. I would sit at my grandparents and they would joke it was the best babysitter because it would take me hours. And I would of course write a list of everything I "wanted". 

My sisters and I (the two closest in age to me) would do the same thing.  But I'm specifically referring to the Christmas catalogs that were mailed out every year.  Oh we pored over those catologs and made up our Christmas lists over and over again.  So I'm right there with you :)

When I was growing up, we had a small Sears store that had some appliances and farm related equipment on site, but otherwise it was just a pick up point for catolog orders.  We did have an actual JC Penneys store, but it too was small and I think got a lot of items that didn't sell well in other bigger stores.  So we ordered clothes from the Sears catolog on a regular basis.  I also remember looking forward to receiving the Spiegel catalog.  My mom bought me a cashmere sweater from Spiegel as a high school graduation gift.

1 minute ago, EmmieJ said:

My sisters and I (the two closest in age to me) would do the same thing.  But I'm specifically referring to the Christmas catalogs that were mailed out every year.  Oh we pored over those catologs and made up our Christmas lists over and over again.  So I'm right there with you :)

When I was growing up, we had a small Sears store that had some appliances and farm related equipment on site, but otherwise it was just a pick up point for catolog orders.  We did have an actual JC Penneys store, but it too was small and I think got a lot of items that didn't sell well in other bigger stores.  So we ordered clothes from the Sears catolog on a regular basis.  I also remember looking forward to receiving the Spiegel catalog.  My mom bought me a cashmere sweater from Spiegel as a high school graduation gift.

your childhood and area sounds like mine! When Spiegel came out it was a big deal!

10 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

The ratings are in:

JILL & JESSA: COUNTING ON TLC 9:00 PM 1895 0.7

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/12/22/sunday-cable-ratings-dec-20-2015/

I think thats a pretty big drop from last week, which also cracked the top 100 with a 0.3 on the re run.  Not cool, guys!

YES!

"ALASKA: THE LAST FRONTIER" beat Jill & Jessa :)

4 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

<snip>

Jill doesn't fully get what missionary work involves, Derrick seems to have a clue though he's got to lose that mustache. It makes him look like Snidely Whiplash.   Either shave it off or grow the full beard.

LOL!:GPn0zNK:  (closest emoticon to Snidely Whiplash I could find)

5 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

YES!

I honestly dont know what kind of ratings are good enough to make advertisers take note.  I can only hope that this drop is significant enough. 

I hate the Kleins.  Jen's a narcissistic control-freak and Bill's a fame-whore.  I feel they are exploiting the kids.  they should have shut it all down once they adopted.  They are smart and wealthy and really don't need it.  The show ran for several years prior to the adoptions and I think they covered the whole "little person" aspect of their lives.  Jen's an idiot when she climbs up on the counter wearing panty hose after taking sedatives.  They spent mega-bucks on the custom house but she still has to climb the counters like a monkey?  I hope they taught Will & Zoey how to dial 911 after mommy falls and cracks her head open.

3 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

And in the case of the Kleins, I respectfully disagree with your pronouncement. The journey to adoption was part of their story BEFORE the children arrived. In no way was their show setup to exploit those two beautiful children. I have watched every episode since inception, and  admired Jen and Bill before they had children. I would have stopped watching a long time ago, like I did with the Duggars, if I detected even a whiff of cray cray or exploitation.

Yes, they have been off the air for six months or so. Sensible, smart, loving people and parents here.

SilverBeach - you seem to be taking my viewpoint re minor children on realty tv very personally, in the case of the Kleins.  I think they began with very good intentions, and at first, it was simply the two of them.  I had no quarrel with that.  And I think they are very loving parents.  I just do not agree with them (or anyone) having their minor children on a reality tv show.  My reasons are fairly simple.  There are no federal protections in place for minor children on reality tv, which means that if their parents are unsophisticated, don't have good legal representation when signing contracts, or are blinded by fame and money - the children can be overworked, can be made to work even when sick, have no guarantee that any portion of the proceeds from the show will ever reach them, and can be in very real danger from stalkers and unbalanced people.  In other words, especially in the Kleins case where they have decent incomes, why risk it? 

As a parent myself who has struggled financially, I still would never agree to put my kid on tv.  He's got one shot at childhood in relative obscurity and I would never take that away from him.  The two children the Kleins adopted are lovely.  I wonder, will they have to deal for the rest of their lives with strangers walking up to them as if they know them, talking about seeing them on tv?  Will they have to worry about weirdos trying to find out where they live and "dropping by" for a visit?  I don't think the risk is worth it, that's all.

4 hours ago, OnceUponATime said:

You just have to look at the begging from Duggar leghumpers. I sometimes wonder how many people would go on 'vacation' to Duggarville to try and catch a glimpse of the Duggars if all the Duggars went completely AWOL from tv/gossip mags/social media for an extended period of time

I get the feeling that [some] viewers acquire some weird expectation over time that they have a right to get updates about these people's [private] lives due to the fact they have been on tv so long.

Two thoughts:

(1). Having spent the past half year or so following FJ and the Duggar disaster, I have to note that some of us are among the people who feel entitled to updates about these people's private lives.  This, in my view, is the most interesting paradox of our fascination with the Duggars.  On the one hand, we condemn their fame-whoring and want them off tv because of their lies and the molestation scandal.  On the other hand, we lap up every bit of news, show up for events where they are slated to appear, track their airplanes, stalk RU's services, and have lively discussions about the shows we all declare should be off the air.

(2) The comment about people going to "Duggarville" to sightsee and stalk makes me think that Jim Bob is missing a great business opportunity.   They should all move to a compound in a different area and turn the TTC into the center of a Christian amusement park a and entertainment venue.  The Duggars can be there at scheduled times to talk, sign autographs, etc..  They can give tours of the TTH and have a gallery of pictures of the kids growing up, etc..  They could build a chapel on the property and after Ben becomes a minister he can marry and baptize people there.  There could be an "event barn" for celebrations and retreats.  Oh, and the restaurant would serve tater tot casserole, of course.  :kitty-wink:

21 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

YES!

I hope these ratings will keep advertisers away. 

Can we back up a bit and talk about Anna's words Sunday?

"In my heart, when I got married, I vowed to God first and then to Joshua, 'For better or for worse. 'Til death do we part,' I pray that through all of this that I would be an extension of God's love to Joshua, that I would love him and forgive him and wait patiently and allow God to work through our hearts." 

Why does she have to show God's love to Josh?  Has Sir Smuggles lost his faith?  Does he need to be reminded that Jesus loves him? Why does God have to work on their hearts? If she has forgiven him, and committed to maintaining their marriage, then the only party that needs magic heart healing is Josh.

Anna is waiting on Josh to say whether their marriage will succeed. 

1 minute ago, AmazonGrace said:

Theres  a program called Dog with a blog .

HA HA!! Yes, it's on Disney. This makes me think you don't have kids between the ages of 6 and 12 :) It's a cheesy Disney sitcom, pretty dumb but more entertaining than Jill and Jessa.

44 minutes ago, Mrsaztx said:

This is bananas, I had never realized they side hug everyone, but since this thread brought it up, it opens up a whole other level of creepy. Isn't the reason for the side hug that a normal hug gets the unmarrieds too stirred up? But if they are side hugging sisters, brothers, parents, etc aren't they essentially saying that *any* human contact is sexual? That is just beyond creepy. "Sorry, dad, no hugs in case you get defrauded (aka sexually stimulated, let's not sugar coat it) by your teen daughter" "nope, side hugs amongst sister because I might just go raging incestuous lesbian given the opportunity". What the actual f*ck, you guys?

Yup. 

26 minutes ago, Mrsaztx said:

I am not sure the preference for side hugs is just an issue connected with sexuality.  We hear about it in the sexual context when we hear about the courtships, but it is clearly practiced as a norm in that and other families even in situations where there is no echo of sexuality.  (Mothers hugging daughters, for example.). So what I am seeing with the side hugs is the reluctance to express closeness in public (possibility 1) or just lack of closeness (possibility 2).

Focusing on the first, I have noticed that some people find that too much public affection embarrassing.  Also, in certain social contexts (a party, for example) people may side-hug because to front hug means that both turn their backs on everyone else.  This may seem rude in some contexts.  Addressing the second, people sometimes side-hug as a compromise to not hugging at all.  

Depending on your culture, greeting and saying good bye to people is handled differently.  Some folks hug and kiss relatives, others only hug, others shake hands.   It varies.  So avoidance of front hugs may have to do with more than fear of defrauding.

Wtf. Homeland is one of the best shows in the world. And it got the same rating.  People are so dumb!  Though I realize many people don't even get showtime!

I just read Buzzard's recap. What is it with all of the Duggars hinting at adoption lately? Just kind of weird. 

I do think the side hugs are actually a response to the Josh incident and it's easier to enforce when the rule is to side hug everyone. I'm guessing they're thinking "you never know"... it's "safer" this way.

btw... it's been said before but I think JB is super horny and is probably on the 'lower than average' side of the self control spectrum. (And i'm not saying anything about JB and what he thinks of his daughters, so don't go there please!) I'm guessing he doesn't think he is low self control, he may actually think he is high self control (with God's help)...  it helps explain to me why he would choose this path for himself and his family and believe any sort of touching for most people could oops, lead to sex with just about anyone.

8 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

I have seen every episode. Bill and Jen had a show long before the adoptions. There are few absolutes in life, and I disagree wholeheartedly with your blanket statement as it applies to the Kleins.

Children are children.

They shouldn't have the intimate details of their lives exposed to the world for time and eternity.  They should not be working.  They can't consent to any of this.

Blanket statements, I know, but no way around it.  The Klein children aren't any different than any other children.

3 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

(2) The comment about people going to "Duggarville" to sightsee and stalk makes me think that Jim Bob is missing a great business opportunity.   They should all move to a compound in a different area and turn the TTC into the center of a Christian amusement park a and entertainment venue.  The Duggars can be there at scheduled times to talk, sign autographs, etc..  They can give tours of the TTH and have a gallery of pictures of the kids growing up, etc..  They could build a chapel on the property and after Ben becomes a minister he can marry and baptize people there.  There could be an "event barn" for celebrations and retreats.  Oh, and the restaurant would serve tater tot casserole, of course.  :kitty-wink:

That sounds like it would be worth the trip just for the entertainment factor.

Anna has been personally and publicly humiliated by her pig of a husband and now seems to be under guard at the TTH. No skills, no education, 4 children. What she doesn't realize is that she has all of the power. The pig is responsible for child support and probably some spousal support. Anna could have whatever she wanted just by having a real interview or writing a book and she can do it at anytime. I hope she is keeping notes. JB and the pig should be terrified.

3 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

HA HA!! Yes, it's on Disney. This makes me think you don't have kids between the ages of 6 and 12 :) It's a cheesy Disney sitcom, pretty dumb but more entertaining than Jill and Jessa.

Pretty sure Stan (the dog for those who haven't seen it) is smarter than Jill and Jessa... I'm just waiting for the DWAB episode where Avery snaps and goes serial killer.

• Buzzard locked this topic

Archived