IGNORED

The Maxwell girls love to bake!

SPHASH

It is interesting that they have progressed from a nursing home, to Golden Living which was nursing/assisted living, now down to the retirement flat (most independent) section of a mixed facility.  

The numbers have definitely decreased now that the residents have more options and have an actual front door of a flat separating them from the Maxwells, rather than just a bedroom door.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they want to help an elderly person in a home - I've got one on the South side of suburban KC (on the KS side even) not all that far from them they can help.

It is interesting they don't actually show themselves doing any ministry other than"church" or singing and bringing the elderly treats. Do they provide anyone with an actual service? They have a houseful of adult women who could make such a difference in their community volunteering time. They might even win a few souls with their living testimonies. Their idea of"ministering" to people is to hand out tracts. I wonder if anyone had been saved that way? Because they are witnessing to people they have no relationship with even if someone did later have questions, the Maxwell's would never know.

15 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

It is interesting they don't actually show themselves doing any ministry other than"church" or singing and bringing the elderly treats. Do they provide anyone with an actual service? They have a houseful of adult women who could make such a difference in their community volunteering time. They might even win a few souls with their living testimonies. Their idea of"ministering" to people is to hand out tracts. I wonder if anyone had been saved that way? Because they are witnessing to people they have no relationship with even if someone did later have questions, the Maxwell's would never know.

Given that they're so concerned about where people will go when they die, it makes sense to me that their main ministry is focused on people who are very close to actually shuffling off this mortal coil—people who are emotionally vulnerable and therefore, easy targets. I get the feeling that the Maxwell clan really works this crowd with a hard sell, preying on their fears until they finally cave. I remember one post where Sarah talked about a couple of deaths in the nursing home, including one woman who, despite being visited by the Maxwells, died while "still worshipping her false god." It really pisses me off.

I doubt that they would want to have real life contact with newly saved people, in case they get corrupted.  

For example, Steve thinks youth groups are great for kids from not-Christian families, but a danger to his own kids. Same with sports, secular activities and even extended family with different values.

Ultimately, they want to secure other people's eternal security in heaven, but not to be greatly involved with them while they are on earth. If there is a heaven, the Maxwells are going to have a lot of introductions to make to the other people who already know each other from this life. ;)

I suspect that Steve might even choose to withdraw his immediate family from Heaven if things don't go his way, but not before having a sharp word with God the Father about how his Son is doing it all wrong.

47 minutes ago, sparkles said:

I remember one post where Sarah talked about a couple of deaths in the nursing home, including one woman who, despite being visited by the Maxwells, died while "still worshipping her false god." It really pisses me off.

The fucking gall of them.

1 hour ago, Anonymousguest said:

Do they provide anyone with an actual service?

They generally don't do crap. Other than for themselves. Then they take pictures of themselves and blog about themselves. They strike me as just so gee gosh darn golly impressed with themselves. The married couples, so holy! The little kids, So precious! The stay at home daughters, so sweet! Mom and dad, so homeschool! Much leadership! :my_rolleyes:

1 hour ago, sparkles said:

I remember one post where Sarah talked about a couple of deaths in the nursing home, including one woman who, despite being visited by the Maxwells, died while "still worshipping her false god." It really pisses me off.

I remember that post.  I was so bother at the time by the fact that Sarah would think such a thing. Now that I know more about the Maxwell's I understand why she felt the way she did. 

54 minutes ago, blessalessi said:

I doubt that they would want to have real life contact with newly saved people, in case they get corrupted.  

For example, Steve thinks youth groups are great for kids from not-Christian families, but a danger to his own kids. Same with sports, secular activities and even extended family with different values.

Ultimately, they want to secure other people's eternal security in heaven, but not to be greatly involved with them while they are on earth. If there is a heaven, the Maxwells are going to have a lot of introductions to make to the other people who already know each other from this life. ;)

I suspect that Steve might even choose to withdraw his immediate family from Heaven if things don't go his way, but not before having a sharp word with God the Father about how his Son is doing it all wrong.

This sounds a lot like the fundies I know! They weren't allowed to go to youth group, lest they hear about the evils of divorce! :pb_eek:

1 hour ago, sparkles said:

It's going to be lonely in Maxwell Heaven. In the face eternity, do you still have to make a schedule? Probably.

Wasn't there also some post where Sarah was saying how someone was dying, I think, and Sarah said that by all evidence she had rejected Jesus or something? And finished off the post by asking the blog readers to "pray for Miss A"? 

See, this is what I find particularly annoying about fundies. It's like some meme or phrase I came across, I forget the source, which said "Having a religion is like having a penis. It's fine to have one, but please don't shove it down our throats".

I think I will dedicate my life to asking people if they know our lord and savior, Dumbledore.  I will write up some words you say to officially ask Dumbledore to dwell in your heart. I will have a blog where I encourage followers. I will make up rules such as Dumbledore preferred that women wear shoes at all times even while sleeping and that men wear top hats. If you stray from this, Dumbldore is not pleased. 

To me, this is what fundies sound like. 

1 hour ago, JesusPony said:

It's going to be lonely in Maxwell Heaven. In the face eternity, do you still have to make a schedule? Probably.

9:00 to 9:15....polish wings

9:15 to 9:30....sweep clouds

9:30 to 9:45....sing hyms

9:45 to 10:00...don Lolly costume and entertain baby Jesus

2 hours ago, blessalessi said:

What is fascinating is that most fundies will only interact with their type of fundy, i.e. Bates and Duggar families. They visit, see each other at places like Big Sandy and seem to have some type of relationship with each other. It's a good way to find a potential spouse. The Maxwells interact with no one who is not a Maxwell made by Steve and Teri. They don't hang out with other "Christians" like them because there aren't any as perfect as the Maxwells. That is one of the reasons they are so odd. They  want people to be the "right" type of Christian but they don't actually exist unless they are a Maxwell. I wonder how Joseph even met Elissa. I am starting to think that there is some secret club to arrange marriages for fundies. I know that the Maxwells have attended some Duggar events but I am sure that, even before the scandals became known, no courtship with a Duggar would have been allowed because they are too worldly.

27 minutes ago, socalrules said:

I know that the Maxwells have attended some Duggar events but I am sure that, even before the scandals became known, no courtship with a Duggar would have been allowed because they are too worldly.

They are happy to align with the Duggars when it benefits them financially;

http://www.titus2.com/duggar-family.html

If the Maxwell's MOTH sales went up from people seeing the Duggar's MOTH schedules on t.v. did that bother Steve I-hate-the-beast Maxwell at all, I wonder?

29 minutes ago, socalrules said:

What is fascinating is that most fundies will only interact with their type of fundy, i.e. Bates and Duggar families. They visit, see each other at places like Big Sandy and seem to have some type of relationship with each other. It's a good way to find a potential spouse. The Maxwells interact with no one who is not a Maxwell made by Steve and Teri. They don't hang out with other "Christians" like them because there aren't any as perfect as the Maxwells. That is one of the reasons they are so odd. They  want people to be the "right" type of Christian but they don't actually exist unless they are a Maxwell. I wonder how Joseph even met Elissa. I am starting to think that there is some secret club to arrange marriages for fundies. I know that the Maxwells have attended some Duggar events but I am sure that, even before the scandals became known, no courtship with a Duggar would have been allowed because they are too worldly.

Yeah, I am really curious as to how the ofMaxwells made it into the family, since they don't seem to associate with anyone but themselves.

Also, I really wonder how the younger Maxwells' language skills will develop, seeing as they seem to only interact with their family. I know that I learned a lot more vocabulary, ways of modulating my voice, turns of phrase, and pronunciation by listening to and interacting with a variety of people.

3 hours ago, sparkles said:

Gah. I have a soft spot for Sarah and really cut her slack because of her upbringing, but she seriously pisses me off when she says stuff like this.

Did we have any theories as to who this false god was? Like was the lady Hindu or just another Christian denomination? Cause that seems extra odd to me. I would think that even the Maxwells would acknowledge that other Christians believe in the same God but just have the "wrong" way of approaching and worshipping that God. 

4 minutes ago, nausicaa25 said:

Gah. I have a soft spot for Sarah and really cut her slack because of her upbringing, but she seriously pisses me off when she says stuff like this.

Did we have any theories as to who this false god was? Like was the lady Hindu or just another Christian denomination? Cause that seems extra odd to me. I would think that even the Maxwells would acknowledge that other Christians believe in the same God but just have the "wrong" way of approaching and worshipping that God. 

I have to see if I can find the post. I'm pretty sure it was an old one because I started reading through their blog again a little while ago when I couldn't sleep (and their lives are so boring and repetitive I figured if anything could knock me out it would be the Maxwells) and I didn't get too far in. Bonus: I also found the hiking post that was the basis for the Moody adventure when they ended up with blisters while climbing and some lovely hikers (in defauding pants, no less) came to their rescue. Yes folks, a true life story! Be still my heart.

7 minutes ago, nausicaa25 said:

I feel like the Maxwells' heads would explode if they ever had a meaningful interaction with a Hindu person.

11 minutes ago, nausicaa25 said:

Did we have any theories as to who this false god was? Like was the lady Hindu or just another Christian denomination?

Sarah wrote a post once calling a Catholic church a "church" and lamented that it was the only church in the small, touristy town they were visiting.  She didn't name the denomination, but it was easy to find via google.

I always had a suspicion that the lady was Catholic, I guess because of that long ago post.

13 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Yeah, I am really curious as to how the ofMaxwells made it into the family, since they don't seem to associate with anyone but themselves.

Also, I really wonder how the younger Maxwells' language skills will develop, seeing as they seem to only interact with their family. I know that I learned a lot more vocabulary, ways of modulating my voice, turns of phrase, and pronunciation by listening to and interacting with a variety of people.

Nathan met Melanie through their original church. They stopped going there because the elders of the church raised concerns to Steve about how he treated his family.

The other brides (including the two that got away) were met through the conferences. There were a couple of get togethers between the families before the Maxwell male asked to court, but not much real interaction. 

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

Wasn't there also some post where Sarah was saying how someone was dying, I think, and Sarah said that by all evidence she had rejected Jesus or something? And finished off the post by asking the blog readers to "pray for Miss A"? 

See, this is what I find particularly annoying about fundies. It's like some meme or phrase I came across, I forget the source, which said "Having a religion is like having a penis. It's fine to have one, but please don't shove it down our throats".

One group of inlaws (in this case a father and a couple of his kids) tend to make it a point at every family funeral to get up, and during the part where people offer memories/eulogize the deceased person, state that either 1) the person was saved, they had checked before the person died or 2) they had make a point to make sure the person had the opportunity to be saved... in those cases they don't usually say with certainty that the person was or wasn't saved, but ointsout that they, the saved and living relative did make sure the person had ke sure the dead person had heard about salvation.  Pisses me off to no end.

These are the relatives who gave us the "180" movie a few years ago (tossed unopened) and this year gave us "War  Room" which my husband, the family movie buff, thinks will meet the same fate.

4 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I feel like the Maxwells' heads would explode if they ever had a meaningful interaction with a Hindu person.

I think their heads explode when they meet anyone that is not their brand of Christian. I bet they are surprised they are just regular people. 

4 minutes ago, salex said:

One group of inlaws (in this case a father and a couple of his kids) tend to make it a point at every family funeral to get up, and during the part where people offer memories/eulogize the deceased person, state that either 1) the person was saved, they had checked before the person died or 2) they had make a point to make sure the person had the opportunity to be saved... in those cases they don't usually say with certainty that the person was or wasn't saved, but ointsout that they, the saved and living relative did make sure the person had ke sure the dead person had heard about salvation.  Pisses me off to no end.

These are the relatives who gave us the "180" movie a few years ago (tossed unopened) and this year gave us "War  Room" which my husband, the family movie buff, thinks will meet the same fate.

I've heard War Room is good for a laugh, though. Though it's not nearly as hilariously bad as Saving Christmas or God's Not Dead. 

11 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

They stopped going there because the elders of the church raised concerns to Steve about how he treated his family.

Can you elaborate?

Archived