• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

9:00 to 9:15....polish wings

9:15 to 9:30....sweep clouds

9:30 to 9:45....sing hyms

9:45 to 10:00...don Lolly costume and entertain baby Jesus

10:01.... baby Jesus crawls away from Lolly.  

My mom gave me War Room. She thinks it's the best movie ever. I haven't opened it  yet.  :pb_rollseyes:

I sometimes get the idea that Steve is just toying with these folk. His loved and loving family my arse, they are playthings for his macabre amusements. Suuure you can get married honey, of course. You just quietly and modestly keep my house clean and cook my dinner and follow my instructions and it will all be fine, just trust in the Lord. Except it won't be because how can it be? There will be ice skating in hell the day some suitable male knocks on the door with his good person paperwork all correctly filled out and asks Steve to gift him a godly wife. It is pretty much the same thing every time someone has an idea that Steve does not like. Yes, yes, you could do that only...*insert God reason why not* after he prayerfully consults with the lord of course. Steve is having a ball and no-one close to him has woken up to his game yet. I wonder if; once Steve has gone off to his eternal reward, one of them will blink and see the daylight and wonder what the freakin' hell has been going on for the last thirty years. 

1 hour ago, kpmom said:

They are happy to align with the Duggars when it benefits them financially;

http://www.titus2.com/duggar-family.html

If the Maxwell's MOTH sales went up from people seeing the Duggar's MOTH schedules on t.v. did that bother Steve I-hate-the-beast Maxwell at all, I wonder?

I think he has addressed this, somewhere.  He said something to the effect that the Duggars' tv appearances are their ministry, in the same way that IT and internet work are part of the Maxwell ministry.  So although there is risk of sin, and a need for control, the technology is being used for good.

I think this was long before JoshGate though. And I don't believe he ever really approved of the Duggars, but they were a high profile advert for his scheduling crap, while they lasted.

I don't remember all the details, but Steve once wrote about leaving the old church (obliquely, of course, as he always does). Basically, he says that Dad's shouldn't be under anyone's authority, even church elders, because they might not be moral. 

Someone else might know more details, but that's what I remember. 

2 hours ago, sparkles said:

Bonus: I also found the hiking post that was the basis for the Moody adventure when they ended up with blisters while climbing and some lovely hikers (in defauding pants, no less) came to their rescue. Yes folks, a true life story! Be still my heart.

I feel really sad and deeply embarassed for Poor Sarah that nothing, absolutely nothing, in the Moody books seems to flow from her imagination. :(

1 hour ago, blessalessi said:

I think he has addressed this, somewhere.  He said something to the effect that the Duggars' tv appearances are their ministry, in the same way that IT and internet work are part of the Maxwell ministry.  So although there is risk of sin, and a need for control, the technology is being used for good.

I think this was long before JoshGate though. And I don't believe he ever really approved of the Duggars, but they were a high profile advert for his scheduling crap, while they lasted.

Exactly. I just looked at our email exchange from the 2014 when they released their how to buy a home debt free book with Jim Bob's endorsement (mentioning the show) on the cover. His response was that their readers love the Duggars and understand that they "missionaries of a different sort." I pushed him on it but he got pissy with me because I countered his email bible quote signature with one of my own by Marcus Aurelius and he very tersely said that he's not endorsing a show, he's endorsing a family and that was that. So why mention the show at all, Stevie boy? Notice that the show is not longer on the cover, however. Just Jim Bob.

Totally random quote from Steve, that I found while looking for something else.... putting it here as it probably explains why the police accept home-baked cookies from the Maxwells at Christmas.

Our neighbor, who is a city police officer, had just finished his dinner break when he walked across the ice-covered street to comment on Nathan and Melanie’s wedding the previous Saturday. He said he appreciated being invited and how much it meant to him. I told him we weren’t sure whether to invite him. Because of his busy schedule, we were concerned the wedding invitation might be an imposition. He said that he loves watching our children grow up, and when he is old, he wouldn’t miss one of their weddings even if he had to be pushed in a wheelchair. He went on to say how he takes great pleasure in our children, as he is involved with children every day who don’t know how to obey.

http://articles.titus2.com/aspects-of-being-a-good-leader-part-4/

3 hours ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

9:00 to 9:15....polish wings

9:15 to 9:30....sweep clouds

9:30 to 9:45....sing hyms

9:45 to 10:00...don Lolly costume and entertain baby Jesus

There may also be ceiling fans in heaven that need dusting!  :pb_lol:

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

I don't remember all the details, but Steve once wrote about leaving the old church (obliquely, of course, as he always does). Basically, he says that Dad's shouldn't be under anyone's authority, even church elders, because they might not be moral. 

Someone else might know more details, but that's what I remember. 

I can't find that, but this quote is quite interesting, with the implication that Jesus may not have bothered dying for the modern church, given its propensity for the F word.

What word separates the modern church from the church for which Jesus died? What word is likely quite responsible for the modern church not being “salt and light” to a dying world?

Merriam-Webster defines this word as: “what provides amusement or enjoyment; specifically : playful often boisterous action or speech.” Its synonym friends are: jest, sport, game, and play. By now you likely know the word that is the world’s most treasured friend—”FUN.” 

http://articles.titus2.com/tag/protecting-against-deception/

10 hours ago, blessalessi said:

I can't find that, but this quote is quite interesting, with the implication that Jesus may not have bothered dying for the modern church, given its propensity for the F word.

http://articles.titus2.com/tag/protecting-against-deception/

Oh lord I just started reading through those blog entries.

We also delight in sharing Jesus with telemarketers, store checkout personnel, and the people we meet while traveling.

If you've purged your life of any sort of joy, pleasure, or normal social interaction to the point where you find this enjoyable, seek help.

John is now 25. He loves God and his family (most important). And he loves his in-laws and nieces and nephews. Yeah. Them too. I guess we'll throw them in the list, but it's not like they actually make "The Family" category.  Always second class citizens and never a "real" Maxwell. I wish this was just the poor way Sarah writes, but since it is the usual way things are stated it is a true reflection of the state of the Maxwell order. What a demeaning title to give your sister-in-laws. Call them your sisters! They are at least owed that.

14 hours ago, blessalessi said:

Yes, but he never referred to IT work as THE BEAST.  He's even featured on the blog people who have given up their televisions after hearing a Maxwell conference.  One guy put a nice large screen tv out with the garbage and wrote bible verses all over it.

Then to turn around and say it's ok the Duggars are on tv because that's their ministry, and to likely make money off of the Duggars show, is the height of hypocrisy as far as I'm concerned.

1 hour ago, Pastors Daughter said:

John is now 25. He loves God and his family (most important). And he loves his in-laws and nieces and nephews. Yeah. Them too. I guess we'll throw them in the list, but it's not like they actually make "The Family" category.  Always second class citizens and never a "real" Maxwell. I wish this was just the poor way Sarah writes, but since it is the usual way things are stated it is a true reflection of the state of the Maxwell order. What a demeaning title to give your sister-in-laws. Call them your sisters! They are at least owed that.

I was struck by that, too. Only the core family counts. Everyone else is just add-ons. 

The maxwells are literally the fundies who make my blood boil.  I know there are more with severe neglect, othe abuse etc.  but I really, really dislike Steve and Terri

16 hours ago, Myfanwy said:

I wonder if; once Steve has gone off to his eternal reward, one of them will blink and see the daylight and wonder what the freakin' hell has been going on for the last thirty years. 

For this moment, we pray. Amen. 

3 hours ago, anjulibai said:

I was struck by that, too. Only the core family counts. Everyone else is just add-ons. 

Yep, only the immediate family is "the family".   Extended members are considered "outsiders". Maybe not on the same level as total strangers but I bet there are times the extended family must feel that way as they are probably out of the loop on things that normally would be shared.  Not to mention wondering how in the world they could be related to these people.

My parents did the exact same thing which is one of the things that makes them eerily similar to the Maxwells.   It wasn't so pronounced when they were younger but as they grew older they got more fearful.   Their children were growing up, pushing toward adulthood and it's accompanying independence was threatening to their parental role.   All kinds of ebil things were happening in the extended family namely divorce, pregnancy out of wedlock, disapproval over family members not doing the same things as them.  Greater intrusion of mass media intrusion which my father hated. The reaction was that they became more and more insular.   It seems a similar progression happened with Steve though perhaps with a different combination of catalysts.  

8 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

Steve wants to be only enflurane on his kids. He thinks the outside world will harm them. 

Or harm his control of them. I don't think his behavior is actually about his kids. 

New Mom's Corner about seven reasons to do report cards with homeschool kids. I actually think it's a decent idea. No, I do NOT agree with the Maxwells, but the reasons are good.

You can download sample report cards. Right at the top is Bible, of course. How do you give a grade for "Bible"? We have "religious education" as a subject in Britain, and we get grades for it, but the Maxwells just read the Bible and don't bother with anything else. There are no spaces for geography or languages. I know, I know, languages aren't a GED/whatever requirement, and I suppose if you homeschool they're not even a graduation requirement, but I still reckon even a few years of French or Spanish or whatever would be useful. Sure, I'm a languages student at university so I'm a little biased, but still...

59 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Or harm his control of them. I don't think his behavior is actually about his kids. 

Agree that that Steve's control is about him not his kids.  

18 hours ago, Myfanwy said:

I sometimes get the idea that Steve is just toying with these folk. His loved and loving family my arse, they are playthings for his macabre amusements. Suuure you can get married honey, of course. You just quietly and modestly keep my house clean and cook my dinner and follow my instructions and it will all be fine, just trust in the Lord. Except it won't be because how can it be? There will be ice skating in hell the day some suitable male knocks on the door with his good person paperwork all correctly filled out and asks Steve to gift him a godly wife. It is pretty much the same thing every time someone has an idea that Steve does not like. Yes, yes, you could do that only...*insert God reason why not* after he prayerfully consults with the lord of course. Steve is having a ball and no-one close to him has woken up to his game yet. I wonder if; once Steve has gone off to his eternal reward, one of them will blink and see the daylight and wonder what the freakin' hell has been going on for the last thirty years. 

I don't think Steve is toying with his family, I think he honestly sees what he is doing as the right thing.  Since he has adopted the idea that a father is in charge of his family's spiritual welfare so they don't go to hell, and there's all kinds of wacky, self imposed rules for preventing that family from going to hell, he has gone to very extreme (and unhealthy!) levels to keeping his family from all joy and close within the protective confines of the family fold to the point making his family sacrifice all hopes and goals.  

Speaking of hopes and goals, you make a good point about the bolded.  Steve has probably not said "no" to a lot of these things.   It's probably been "sure you can do this, but these criteria (insert something with to with the Lord's timing or some such BS here) have to happen first".    So the children are lead to believe that something may happen in their lives such as Sarah wanting to get married and have a family for example, but it's so ridden with impossible "conditions" imposed by their father that it's never going to happen.   And they haven't figured that out.  Ask me how I know.   

On 1/11/2016 at 5:18 AM, missegeno said:

Huh. I've always used "lunge switches" for that exercise. I call mountain climbers when you get in a plank and drive your knees one at a time between your arms, alternating legs each time. But the front foot doesn't actually touch the floor in "mountain climbers" as I was taught them.

I think "mountain climbers" is CrossFit lingo. They (being a cult, of sorts) seem to have their own special terms for their allegedly unique exercises. Which makes me wonder who experimented with CrossFit membership to learn these things. I"m guessing it was Nathan.

2 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

I think "mountain climbers" is CrossFit lingo. They (being a cult, of sorts) seem to have their own special terms for their allegedly unique exercises. Which makes me wonder who experimented with CrossFit membership to learn these things. I"m guessing it was Nathan.

You mean he went to a CrossFit class where he possibly saw women in shorts, spandex, sports bras, etc.? :pb_eek: 

Archived