IGNORED

The Maxwell girls love to bake!

SPHASH

I don't know whether Steve does what he does for his family or himself but I DO know that a sane person would not believe that everything that pops into his head is something that God is telling him.  God told him to reverse his vasectomy.  God told him to home school his kids even though his wife was severely depressed.  God told him to quit his job and start his own business.  etc. etc.  Nobody else in that family gets certified messages from God, only Steve, and I am guessing that these Messages From God must be obeyed without question.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shouldn't Nathan, Christopher and Joseph now be getting their own messages from God since they are the heads of their family? Do the messages only come through Steve? Is he some kind of conduit? Do they believe that God only talks to Steve and no one else in the world?

3 minutes ago, socalrules said:

Shouldn't Nathan, Christopher and Joseph now be getting their own messages from God since they are the heads of their family? Do the messages only come through Steve? Is he some kind of conduit? Do they believe that God only talks to Steve and no one else in the world?

Steve is only the head of the "immediate family", ie the unmarried children living in his house, so I expect that the others are free to hear from God when their schedules permit. ;)

What I find particularly sad is that they CLAIM the girls have "chosen" to stay at home until marriage and not work. Nuh uh. They've been scared into it. They had no damn choice at all. 

Just now, mango_fandango said:

What I find particularly sad is that they CLAIM the girls have "chosen" to stay at home until marriage and not work. Nuh uh. They've been scared into it. They had no damn choice at all. 

Well, as Sarah's said, she's not sheltered, she's PROTECTED. They're probably so brainwashed into thinking that if they stepped out from under that protection, they'd be toast that in their mind, they most likely DO think they've chosen to stay home. It's either that or a life of sex, drugs, and depravity. No middle ground in Maxwell thinking. Pure either/or.

1 hour ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

Nobody else in that family gets certified messages from God, only Steve, and I am guessing that these Messages From God must be obeyed without question.

This is what kills me about fundies, it's pure fantasy played like absolute fact and if you don't believe you are an outsider who is doomed to hell. Oh sure God talks to me as well. It's God who tells me to steer clear of control freak cult leaders like Steve Maxwell. 

4 hours ago, iweartanktops6 said:

You mean he went to a CrossFit class where he possibly saw women in shorts, spandex, sports bras, etc.? :pb_eek: 

There was a poster here a while back who claimed to have worked with Nathan in some sort of business capacity.  She claimed he had a gym membership.  No clue if it was really true or not.

I found Sarah's "false god" post, but I stand corrected. It wasn't false god but false religion. Same arrogance though, disguised as concern.

My heart was burdened today as I read the brief obituary of a lady who had been at the nursing home for a little while. It was probably about a year ago she was there, recovering, and I enjoyed interacting with her. There were opportunities I took to share the Lord Jesus with her. She softened as the weeks went by (even being interested in/accepting a Bible!), but I don’t think she came to church (if she did, it would have only been a time or so), and she stayed firm in her false religion. Christopher and I visited her in ICU when she had a septic infection. Oh, it was sad. A woman who desperately needed Jesus, but who wouldn't give her life to Him, and she was sad and despondent. I think she allowed us to pray with her, although I'm not positive on that. After her hospital stay, she must have gone to another care place or home.

The Lord gave her a second chance to accept Him. Now, she has slipped into Eternity. From all I knew of her, it is a hopeless Eternity without the Lord Jesus. Yet, could it be that maybe, just maybe, in her last days, she repented and turned to Jesus. I'll never know until Heaven.

Ministering at the nursing home gives us opportunities to share Jesus. It may be the last time they hear about Jesus, but the Lord is giving them another chance.

I remember reading that post. I thought how disturbing it was that Sarah kepted going into this person's room. Why can't they just leave them alone. 

Why can't Sarah just say, "the Lord," or "Jesus?" why does it always have to be, "the Lord Jesus?" 

Sorry, I just had to say that. It always bugs me! 

8 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

Agree that that Steve's control is about him not his kids.  

I don't think Steve is toying with his family, I think he honestly sees what he is doing as the right thing.  Since he has adopted the idea that a father is in charge of his family's spiritual welfare so they don't go to hell, and there's all kinds of wacky, self imposed rules for preventing that family from going to hell, <snip>

I think this highlights a fundamental misunderstanding of scripture on Steve's part.  'wacky self imposed rules' was exactly the sort of thing Jesus was against.  What was that saying?  "they strain out a gnat, but swallow a camel", I think.

*searches* yeah, it's Matthew 23 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matthew+23&version=NKJV

The Pharisees thought they were righteous for keeping all their extra self imposed laws, but they were just a bunch of showoffs.

1 hour ago, iweartanktops6 said:

Why can't Sarah just say, "the Lord," or "Jesus?" why does it always have to be, "the Lord Jesus?" 

Sorry, I just had to say that. It always bugs me! 

The Lord is too ambiguous as the UK is full of men who call themselves Lords.  And to call him Jesus?  Do you think Stevehova wants the girls on a first name basis with a guy, however divine, who isn't at least 'extended' family? 

5 hours ago, socalrules said:

One would think so, but what if a message to one of the sons contradicted a message given to Steve?  Or can they only receive messages pertaining to their own wives and unmarried children?

4 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Sarah probably makes decent money from her books. She has published a lot of them and she is selling to a particular niche market that she knows well. As her older readers outgrow the series, there are new kids growing into it. Whether or not she has control over the money she earns is a different story. I'm more concerned about Anna and Mary. As far as I can see, they don't have any way of earning an income.

31 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

The Lord is too ambiguous as the UK is full of men who call themselves Lords.  And to call him Jesus?  Do you think Stevehova wants the girls on a first name basis with a guy, however divine, who isn't at least 'extended' family? 

If you want to be super correct about it, call him יֵשׁוּעַ or yēšūă‘ or if you want to use the actual English translation rather than a transliteration, Salvation.

Fortunately it differs slightly from the name Joshua: יְהוֹשֻׁעַ

So The Lord is giving the people that the Maxwells witness to   "another chance," huh?  Like maybe, a *last* chance??  I'm sure Steve would never have heard it, but The Minor  Beast (we call it "radio") once had on a conservative Lutheran pastor who said, "It isn't anywhere in Scripture, but I often wonder if God doesn't offer people one more chance [to accept Jesus] once they've died and they *see* God, away from all the distractions of the world."  Steve would apoplectically burst like Mr. Creosote at the very thought, I imagine, because Steve "knows" how God works.  Period, end of sentence.  

Whereas I figure it makes mighty sense on a number of levels.  I can think this way because I was raised to think about what I believe, and why.  The Maxwell family members aren't as fortunate.  For oh so many reasons, I'm grateful to have been born elsewhere!

5 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'm just imagining that there's also a Viscount Jesus, a Baron Jesus, and a Duke Jesus.

8 hours ago, sparkles said:

I found Sarah's "false god" post, but I stand corrected. It wasn't false god but false religion. Same arrogance though, disguised as concern.

My heart was burdened today as I read the brief obituary of a lady who had been at the nursing home for a little while. It was probably about a year ago she was there, recovering, and I enjoyed interacting with her. There were opportunities I took to share the Lord Jesus with her. She softened as the weeks went by (even being interested in/accepting a Bible!), but I don’t think she came to church (if she did, it would have only been a time or so), and she stayed firm in her false religion. Christopher and I visited her in ICU when she had a septic infection. Oh, it was sad. A woman who desperately needed Jesus, but who wouldn't give her life to Him, and she was sad and despondent. I think she allowed us to pray with her, although I'm not positive on that. After her hospital stay, she must have gone to another care place or home.

The Lord gave her a second chance to accept Him. Now, she has slipped into Eternity. From all I knew of her, it is a hopeless Eternity without the Lord Jesus. Yet, could it be that maybe, just maybe, in her last days, she repented and turned to Jesus. I'll never know until Heaven.

Ministering at the nursing home gives us opportunities to share Jesus. It may be the last time they hear about Jesus, but the Lord is giving them another chance.

Am I the only one who thinks this woman moved to another nursing home to get away from the Maxwells?

6 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

Sarah probably makes decent money from her books. She has published a lot of them and she is selling to a particular niche market that she knows well. As her older readers outgrow the series, there are new kids growing into it. Whether or not she has control over the money she earns is a different story. I'm more concerned about Anna and Mary. As far as I can see, they don't have any way of earning an income.

I think you need some time in the prayer closet to think about your post - Mary is a professional artist ;-)

7 hours ago, Dandruff said:

One would think so, but what if a message to one of the sons contradicted a message given to Steve?  Or can they only receive messages pertaining to their own wives and unmarried children?

I think this message from God business is how John finagles his bit of autonomy. If he plays it right, brings up what the dear Lord and Saviour has told him in (the all too rare :my_dodgy: ) family time. And then goes off to prayerfully consider the opinions of his protector and pray some more etc. And wouldya look at that, yep, what John wants to do is exactly what the good ol' Lord wants him to do. Whoda thunk it??? It might be a bit hard for Steve to say no all the time, especially if it sounds pretty reasonable on the surface. 

6 hours ago, johnhugh said:

I think you need some time in the prayer closet to think about your post - Mary is a professional artist ;-)

And Anna is a nutritionist. How is making green smoothies not a viable job skill?

6 minutes ago, nausicaa25 said:

And Anna is a nutritionist. How is making green smoothies not a viable job skill?

I'm sure all the college educated, licensed and registered nutritionists out there are just thrilled to see them mentioning Anna having training in nutrition.

What happens if Nathan, Christopher, & Joseph here from God and the message if different from their father's message from God?  

4 hours ago, kpmom said:

I'm sure all the college educated, licensed and registered nutritionists out there are just thrilled to see them mentioning Anna having training in nutrition.

By that logic, I am a trained feline nutritionist.  I put my training to practical use every time that I feed my feline masters and mistress.

So I wonder if Teri ever hears from God?  Or does God not speak to anyone with a vagina?

I somehow imagine that at this time in their lives Nathan, Christopher, and Joseph are too afraid of Steve to openly contradict him-- vis-à-vis messages from God.  However once Steve starts getting a bit muddled, a bit dotty in the head and fragile in the body they might decide that the messages they receive from God supersede his.  I like to imagine a scenario in which God tells Nathan that it is time to put Steve into a nursing home. There he can be visited by people asking him if he knows Jesus as his Lord and Savior-- and be told he IS Doing It Wrong.

Kind of OT, but I wonder what these folks dream about (when they sleep).  Meeting Jesus, preaching to souls in Hell, eating whatever they want, wearing shorts, disagreeing with Steve, taking a drive and not coming back, self-cleaning houses, attending a school with non-Maxwells, nightmares about imagined sins and punishment? 

Ideas?

Archived