IGNORED

The Maxwell girls love to bake!

SPHASH

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't the  elevating themselves through heavy editing be considered an idol?  Oh wait, something is not considered an idol unless Steve elevates it to idol status.  Writing this as I sip my Pepsi.

13 hours ago, donnal said:

Am I the only one who wants to call bullshit on these letters they get from "satisfied customers"? The ones praising MOTH, as well as the ones praising the Moody books. They just sound so fake. Some other family member emailing them in from fake accounts to make Teri and Sarah feel good? Or just straight up BS sales tactics?

I also call B.S. on their claim that MOTH has helped thousands of homeschool moms.  I want proof that thousands have been helped!

1 hour ago, PsyD2013 said:

Couldn't the  elevating themselves through heavy editing be considered an idol?  Oh wait, something is not considered an idol unless Steve elevates it to idol status.  Writing this as I sip my Pepsi.

I think it's, at the very least, bearing false witness. They are lying about what other people have said. There's no way around it. And they do it unrepentantly.

If Steve's God is real, then Steve really has no idea where he's going when he dies, because there is no way Steve's God, as Steve state's his God to be, would be okay with any form of bearing false witness. 

1 hour ago, kpmom said:

I also call B.S. on their claim that MOTH has helped thousands of homeschool moms.  I want proof that thousands have been helped!

Well let us think about this logically. They have been selling the MOTH books for 20 (?) years.  They made a good living for awhile selling their books by both mail order and conferences. While MOTH was only one of their titles I have no doubt they sold at least a thousand copies of that book each year, at least up until the last few years when the home schoolers and SAHM began having more choices and the Maxwells gave up their big Road Show.  So I would not be too surprised to find out that they sold 15,000 or more copies of MOTH.  The big question is, what percentage of buyers actually got any practical use out of it.  10%? That is still over a thousand or more women who were helped.

If you define "helped" as a mom having implemented at least one technique described in the book I assume the numbers could be pretty high. I assume most are not die-hard fans but I am still willing to believe that the Maxwells have managed to include some reasonable suggestions for a mom of many kids in their books even if they don't want to live exactly like them. Heck, if I had 10 kids and homeschooled I would also have schedule but not one with the same precision as the Maxwells. It would be done to make sure you actually get something done. 

2 hours ago, kpmom said:

I'd be happy with proof that only 5 have been helped.  I want proof that more than 5 have ever read the damn book(or any other Maxwell "advice").

On 15/01/2016 at 10:18 PM, kpmom said:

Going back to report cards for a moment;

I'm wondering why Teri (or more likely, Steve) changed her mind on the importance of them?

Back in 2010 they wrote this on their web site;

Report Cards

"We no longer give our school-age children report cards. We found them simply to be busy work for Teri, without any real purpose since a report card is designed to give parents information about their child’s academic progress. ...."

Did she mention in the Mom's Corner what caused the change of heart?  Maybe they figure other mother's won't be as aware of how their kids are doing because, unlike Teri, they don't have such a close involvement in their schooling.  :kitty-wink:

I expect Teri stopped the Busy Work Without Any Purpose in order to free up time to clean the ceiling fans.

5 hours ago, PsyD2013 said:

We don't generally have pop in the house as we don't drink it much, but when I was cleaning out the fridge I found a can of Pepsi way in the back from Christmas.

Idols are all around us, hidden behind pickle jars, waiting to lure us to a life of depravity.  That Satan sure is sneaky.  

I left it there, slightly more visible, to see which of my kids drinks it so I know which I need to worry about the most.  After which I'll continuously ask them if they know where they will go when they die and then make them clean the ceiling fans.

8 minutes ago, blessalessi said:

I expect Teri stopped the Busy Work Without Any Purpose in order to free up time to clean the ceiling fans.

Dusting ceiling fans isn't busy work...it's a legitimate task.  I do it every Saturday and all 7 take a few minutes an one Swiffer.

Except when someone dismantled the fancy swiffer secured with mounds of black duct tape to an old broom handle I use to reach the one in the foyer...but after the very non-Maxwellian words that accompanied my having to rebuild my invention no one here will dare do that again.

Came across this event on Facebook. If they don't like people re-using or re-selling their books how do they feel about having their ideas being repackaged into someone else's seminar? lol. 

https://www.facebook.com/events/1070827709605030/

Snippet: "Come out to hear Paula Maretzki lead you through a scheduling system as well as how to implement it based on the book Managers of Your Homes by Steve and Teri Maxwell. In this seminar you will hear a Biblical basis for scheduling as well as many ideas on how to order your day to accomplish more than you ever imagined with your children, their school, babies, life in the kitchen and much more. God has given us only 24 hours. Come find out how best to "number your days" and leave feeling inspired that peace and joy are achievable in our homes! Paula is a mother of 8 children and knows the challenges all sizes of families face from being a mom of one child to being a mom to eight children. She will share her experience of implementing the Maxwell's system and how it has worked successfully in her home for over 9 years."

23 minutes ago, refo said:

Came across this event on Facebook. If they don't like people re-using or re-selling their books how do they feel about having their ideas being repackaged into someone else's seminar? lol. 

Snippet: "Come out to hear Paula Maretzki lead you through a scheduling system as well as how to implement it based on the book Managers of Your Homes by Steve and Teri Maxwell. In this seminar you will hear a Biblical basis for scheduling as well as many ideas on how to order your day to accomplish more than you ever imagined with your children, their school, babies, life in the kitchen and much more. God has given us only 24 hours. Come find out how best to "number your days" and leave feeling inspired that peace and joy are achievable in our homes! Paula is a mother of 8 children and knows the challenges all sizes of families face from being a mom of one child to being a mom to eight children. She will share her experience of implementing the Maxwell's system and how it has worked successfully in her home for over 9 years."

Stevie's going to love this :my_biggrin:

What a classic line "life in the kitchen" :my_biggrin:

The emails that Terri quotes are pure bull shit - younger children and older children i.e non reversals and reversals?

Terri, sorry Christ-i wrote  "by the way, we have been CONSISTENTLY successfully running schedules now for over a year. We have taken off for a week break for a couple of times in between semesters, and everyone has always requested that we get back on as soon as possible! WIN!!!"  - my arse

20 hours ago, donnal said:

Am I the only one who wants to call bullshit on these letters they get from "satisfied customers"? The ones praising MOTH, as well as the ones praising the Moody books. They just sound so fake. Some other family member emailing them in from fake accounts to make Teri and Sarah feel good? Or just straight up BS sales tactics?

There have been a couple blogs that have mentioned it. One is the family that go to the same church as the Bates'. She just listed it as something she's using in her homeschooling, and there WAS one blog where she tried to write out her schedule, including how it'd be when her next baby was born. Nothing about how it worked for her after. Another, where it is referenced, but the quote goes "I tweaked it and tweaked it until I made it work for me". And though these are big families who homeschool, neither lives like the Maxwells. Mom working outside of home part-time, adult children moving out before marriage and working outside the home, even sons in the military! They have been used, and have been helpful, but as far as I know, the Maxwells are the only ones who are actually bound to it. And didn't Mrs Munck, their almost co-in-laws, talk of how they tried it and found that it DIDN'T work for them? Or just not in the same way? Gotta check again.

1 hour ago, refo said:

Now that is interesting. I note that they are charging $60 for the thing, which includes the MOTH book and a scheduling kit. It's $25 if you already have the book and bring it with. 

Now, the Maxwells sell MOTH for $25 and a "scheduling kit" (which they describe as a refill and only available for those the register their books) for $5. So, this event is charging $35 for something the Maxwells charge $30 for (not including shipping, which they do charge). 

So I'm thinking one of 2 things are possible:

1. This sponsored by the Maxwells themselves. They don't want to travel anymore (insert a number of possible reasons why here), but still think these seminars are a good way of pushing their products. So they are okay with other people putting on the seminars, so long as they earn money..

2. They are totally not okay with other people doing seminars but need the money so they ignore bulk buys of the books and schedule packs (which would only occur if other people were selling their stuff for them). 

I'm leaning towards option 1. I think if Steve didn't want other people selling his stuff, he wouldn't allow bulk purchases like would be needed for an event like this. 

8 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Now that is interesting. I note that they are charging $60 for the thing, which includes the MOTH book and a scheduling kit. It's $25 if you already have the book and bring it with. 

Now, the Maxwells sell MOTH for $25 and a "scheduling kit" (which they describe as a refill and only available for those the register their books) for $5. So, this event is charging $35 for something the Maxwells charge $30 for (not including shipping, which they do charge). 

1. This sponsored by the Maxwells themselves. They don't want to travel anymore (insert a number of possible reasons why here), but still think these seminars are a good way of pushing their products. So they are okay with other people putting on the seminars, so long as they earn money..

2. They are totally not okay with other people doing seminars but need the money so they ignore bulk buys of the books and schedule packs (which would only occur if other people were selling their stuff for them). 

I'm leaning towards option 1. I think if Steve didn't want other people selling his stuff, he wouldn't allow bulk purchases like would be needed for an event like this. 

I know it's none of my business, but every time it comes up I get so curious as to how lucrative that's been for them.  They seem to be quite comfortable financially and to my knowledge neither Steve nor Teri were trust funders and if the 1Ton OnRamp classes could support their life style I'm going to fling myself off the roof...

The MaxhellI base camp has 7 adults living there with various money making projects, none of which seem that they would bring in enough to maintain the standard of living much less the trips.  (Although to be fair I've no idea what John does, but it's a rare guy in his 20's that can support 6 other adults and their vacations singlehandedly.)

i almost don't want to know they made serious money of that MOTH stuff.  I can type a bunch of holier than thou tips of how to be just like me into a book and shill them out with some excel sheets and a backpack.  You should see my housecleaning spreadsheet - it's a work of art and in excel already.

But I really don't want to know the big source of their income is that those Moody books are making real money.  I drag my ass to a stressful job 50+ hours a week to support my family and to know that she could make more money by churning out that pablum...I would lose sleep over that for real.  I've written more interesting grocery lists than those books.  

I'd feel a lot better knowing they earn a living by Steve not going public with pics of some prominent wealthy hypocrite in very compromising positions with a series of farm implements.  I could respect blackmail more than the alternatives.

6 hours ago, Granwych said:

I'd be happy with proof that only 5 have been helped.  I want proof that more than 5 have ever read the damn book(or any other Maxwell "advice").

I own the book lol and have read the entire thing (although I found it in a local thrift store brand new for $3). I have not used a schedule though. I'll see myself to the prayer closet. 

42 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

But given how controlling they (Steve) are, I would think in that case the event page would at least have a link to their website or one of their "snazzy" graphics or photos at the top... the description and page kind of looks like someone is randomly re-selling their ideas & books. Hmm...

11 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I know it's none of my business, but every time it comes up I get so curious as to how lucrative that's been for them.  They seem to be quite comfortable financially and to my knowledge neither Steve nor Teri were trust funders and if the 1Ton OnRamp classes could support their life style I'm going to fling myself off the roof...

I've always been curious about their finances, I admit. 

I wonder how they divvy up their money.  Everybody, even the married sons seem to work under the Communications Concepts umbrella, of which Steve is the CEO.

Does each Maxwell get a certain percentage of the profit?

Is Joseph's Swift Otter Company his own, or does he have to share it with the rest of the family?  How about John's drip irrigation company, and real estate sales?

I definitely don't want you throwing yourself off the roof, but I have an idea they make more money than any of us realizes.

Also, Steve is old enough to collect social security at this point.  He also might have a 401(k), and Teri could have a non-working spouse's IRA.

And don't forget, Steve claims the unmarried sons have saved enough to buy a house with cash.

Spoiler

Does anyone know if only *some* of the Maxwell kids took any trips last summer? Can't really find anything on the blog  

That was easier than I thought. 

2 minutes ago, kpmom said:

I've always been curious about their finances, I admit. 

I wonder how they divvy up their money.  Everybody, even the married sons seem to work under the Communications Concepts umbrella, of which Steve is the CEO.

Does each Maxwell get a certain percentage of the profit?

Is Joseph's Swift Otter Company his own, or does he have to share it with the rest of the family?  How about John's drip irrigation company, and real estate sales?

I definitely don't want you throwing yourself off the roof, but I have an idea they make more money than any of us realizes.

Also, Steve is old enough to collect social security at this point.  He also might have a 401(k), and Teri could have a non-working spouse's IRA.

And don't forget, Steve claims the unmarried sons have saved enough to buy a house with cash.

Oh I think they make more than I want to know...because I already know life isn't fair and I'm too old to tantrum.

I know nothing about s corps with a religious competent, but I remember reading that VF had two different divisions - one for religious materials and one for their secular toys, etc. because of taxes.  I'd think they'd have to do the same as just putting a bible verse in a tech consulting website doesn't make it a ministry.

and Steve did have a decent job at one point, but it wasn't the kind of job that sets you for life at retirement if you're still supporting 6 other people indefinitely.  

Im definitely better off not knowing.

There once was a fundie called Stevus

Who said that the world would deceive us

He preached against folly

Then they came out with Lolly

To lure heathen children to Jesus

I have always been a little unclear about the MOTHs books. So it all about scheduling your day? Do people really need a book for this?

I would guess that the Maxwells made a good a good amount of money in the early days selling their wares. Their product was unique and appealed to other homeschooling fundies. Now, everything can be found on the Internet for free, so their MOTH income is likely a fraction of what it was. Steve likely invested well. I would also bet that a lot of payments were in cash and it was never reported. 

I think Sarah has probably had a nice return on the Moody books but I doubt it would be enough for her to live on her own and write full-time. It would probably be considered a nice supplemental income. 

I am in the camp that the adult male Maxwells that have families actually have jobs outside the home we do not know about. They are really only "famous" to people on FJ and a few fundies so if they had real jobs it isn't as though most people would know who they are and "out" them. 

5 hours ago, socalrules said:

I have always been a little unclear about the MOTHs books. So it all about scheduling your day? Do people really need a book for this?

I would guess that the Maxwells made a good a good amount of money in the early days selling their wares. Their product was unique and appealed to other homeschooling fundies. Now, everything can be found on the Internet for free, so their MOTH income is likely a fraction of what it was. Steve likely invested well. I would also bet that a lot of payments were in cash and it was never reported. 

I think Sarah has probably had a nice return on the Moody books but I doubt it would be enough for her to live on her own and write full-time. It would probably be considered a nice supplemental income. 

I am in the camp that the adult male Maxwells that have families actually have jobs outside the home we do not know about. They are really only "famous" to people on FJ and a few fundies so if they had real jobs it isn't as though most people would know who they are and "out" them. 

It's scheduling but with Jeebus and even more anal-retentiveness and creepy control than most books about productivity and time management provide, I'd guess.

I think that apart from the Maxwells being pretty frugal (their house is nice and their clothes are nice, but neither are terribly fancy), the man-children pick up the slack from the lost MOTH/Seminars/1Ton Ramp income with their IT and real estate jobs. I know John has the irrigation and real estate business and they have that IT and web design firm. I think Christopher has an IT-related job as well. And does anyone know if they get any AdSense money off of Titus2?

I will give it to the Maxwells that they seem to be a lot smarter with their money and actually do shit to earn it (and if they do grift, they keep it on the down-low), which puts them ahead of a lot of the other fundies we snark on. I think they're heinous in every other respect, but at least they actually work to make money instead of just e-begging like the Dillards or the Rodriguii, or subjecting their children to a bizarre Truman Show existence for money like the Duggars or the Bateses.

So they write an article about how important report cards are, then they update later and say nevermind, it's just busy work since homeschool moms already know their kid's progress? How can we trust Teri's teachings and guidance now? 

Dear Maxwell family.

Please hurry up and fast. I am craving everything that is bad for me and looking at bulk bags of Jelly Belly and lollipops on Amazon. Also I cannot justify eating an entire box of donuts without doing it for a cause.

Archived