IGNORED

The Maxwell girls love to bake!

SPHASH

1 hour ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

I like to imagine a scenario in which God tells Nathan that it is time to put Steve into a nursing home. There he can be visited by people asking him if he knows Jesus as his Lord and Savior-- and be told he IS Doing It Wrong.

Whenever I read posts about the nursing home visits, I wonder if the residents are a captive audience when these folks are ministering or if they have easy options to escape.  I would be miserable if I had to put up with that crew.  My snarky self loves the scenario you posted, as I imagine wave after wave of the wrong kinds of Christians ministering to Steve.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On December 16, 2015 at 2:51 PM, Foudeb said:

One of my aunts used to refer to her in-laws as Mum and Dad (non-fundie, just regular people).

I've always found that beyond weird.

Chinese people do it. It's a sign of respect.

Edited to add: My mom calls my paternal grandmother "ma" and her own mother "mama".

4 hours ago, FloraKitty35 said:

What happens if Nathan, Christopher, & Joseph here from God and the message if different from their father's message from God?  

They clean their ears and try again.

On January 13, 2016 at 3:45 PM, sparkles said:

It's either that or a life of sex, drugs, and depravity. No middle ground in Maxwell thinking. Pure either/or.

if the alerternwtive is living with Steve and Teri then I'll take what's behind door #2...

On January 13, 2016 at 7:04 PM, blessalessi said:

Totally random quote from Steve, that I found while looking for something else.... putting it here as it probably explains why the police accept home-baked cookies from the Maxwells at Christmas.

http://articles.titus2.com/aspects-of-being-a-good-leader-part-4/

I have noticed how in many of Steve's Seriously Serious posts that he tells an almost true anecdote, but then seems to skew part of the story to support the Steve approved way to live. Also he comes off as a sanctimonious asshat.  One of his post started off  in a nice and friendly way talking about a barefoot jogger that he sees every morning.  I was shocked that Steve was able to speak highly of someone other than himself, but the post, of course, ended with stern judgement and condenmnation of the idiot jogger running barefoot since there was glass in the road that only him and Teri could see.  Steve makes an idol out of Steve.  

1 hour ago, CyborgKin said:

They clean their ears and try again.

As much as I love to snark on Steve's control freakishness this assuredly not true. Nathan for sure allows stuff in his family that Steve never would, particularly in relation to Melanie's family. Can you see Steve allowing even thirty-something Sarah to attend the graduation party of a pants wearing aunt that lives alone and works outside the house? No way, no day.

15 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Kind of OT, but I wonder what these folks dream about (when they sleep).  Meeting Jesus, preaching to souls in Hell, eating whatever they want, wearing shorts, disagreeing with Steve, taking a drive and not coming back, self-cleaning houses, attending a school with non-Maxwells, nightmares about imagined sins and punishment? 

Ideas?

Considering the sexual frustration of the unmarried childults (shared bedrooms for nighttime "accountability", no dating), unless they manage to masturbate in the shower on a regular basis, I would imagine there might be a few erotic dreams in there. The Flesh has a way to enter even the purest minds.

The disturbing element is that they have no exes, potentials, friends, colleagues or even nice-looking people on TV to dream about. It's not a coincidence that there's a lot of incest in these isolate homeschooling mini-cults. (Not saying that there is incest in Maxhell or anywhere else)

Erotic dreams!!  Thank you both for posting --. I've long wondered how the Maxwell children have reacted upon waking from such a dreams, and everybody has them, so you know they have. Do they have to confess feeling such pleasure in their regular counseling sessions with Daddy Steve?  I'd've DIED if that had been expected of me. 

Eeuw. Really?  We have no reason at all to think that the Maxwells discuss their sexual interest or non-interest with their parents. 

Discussing that here would invade their privacy horribly, IMO.  

17 hours ago, warriorblade8857 said:

Chinese people do it. It's a sign of respect.

Edited to add: My mom calls my paternal grandmother "ma" and her own mother "mama".

My sil is from Taiwan and she calls my mom, Mom. It never botherd me but it did surprise me, particilarly since my brother isn't close to her.

10 hours ago, AbandonAllHope said:

They're allowed to dream??

Dreams are the only movies they're allowed to watch.

5 hours ago, blessalessi said:

Eeuw. Really?  We have no reason at all to think that the Maxwells discuss their sexual interest or non-interest with their parents. 

Discussing that here would invade their privacy horribly, IMO.  

Really?

I would be surprised if Steve and his sons (when they were adolescents) did NOT discuss these thoughts and feelings and how to handle them.  I always assumed this was a part of Steve's "weekly meetings" with the boys when they were reaching the teen years.

I do have to confess I'm deriving some enjoyment from knowing Steve reads here.

He probably thought whatever he talks about with the childults were something really advanced and elaborate only he could have thought of. When we evil Catholics have been doing confession / guilt about basic biological instincts for millenia.

And, to be honest, if one were to adopt the stance that all sexual deeds, thoughts and dreams are by definition wrong (which I don't), I'd trust a Catholic priest more than Stevehovah to guide sinners through the mind minefield. At least the priest shoulders the same burden, when Steve gets all the "shoulder massages" his dirty little heart desires.

I have to wonder if the Maxwell "girls" even know the mechanics of sex. I wouldn't be surprised if many unmarried fundies did not but i am sure some stumble upon the information even accidentally. The maxwells are so sheltered to the point of almost being captives, I wonder if the girls even understand the concept of what sex is and how you go about it. 

Going back to report cards for a moment;

I'm wondering why Teri (or more likely, Steve) changed her mind on the importance of them?

Back in 2010 they wrote this on their web site;

Report Cards

"We no longer give our school-age children report cards. We found them simply to be busy work for Teri, without any real purpose since a report card is designed to give parents information about their child’s academic progress. Teri was aware of how the children were doing in their school work because of her close involvement in their schooling. Our newest book, Managers of Their Schools: A Practical Guide to Homeschooling, has information on many practical aspects of homeschooling: from keeping track of school hours, to planning for school, to school assignment sheets, and so much more. For more information on the book, please click here."

Did she mention in the Mom's Corner what caused the change of heart?  Maybe they figure other mother's won't be as aware of how their kids are doing because, unlike Teri, they don't have such a close involvement in their schooling.  :kitty-wink:

4 hours ago, kpmom said:

Really?

I would be surprised if Steve and his sons (when they were adolescents) did NOT discuss these thoughts and feelings and how to handle them.  I always assumed this was a part of Steve's "weekly meetings" with the boys when they were reaching the teen years.

Fair point.  I think my strong reaction was because I thought MamaJB was relating her own experience to the female chidults' experiences.  I can't imagine that Steve (who nearly cried when he copped an accidental eyeful of cleavage during a bible study?) would require detailed information about any of his adult children's sexual dreams and fantasies, let alone his daughters.  I don't doubt that the sons, at least, are counselled to avoid all "evil", but since there re no books, no tvs, and only heavily monitored internet access, I doubt that frank,detailed discussion takes place.

On 1/14/2016 at 3:43 PM, Handmaiden of Dog said:

So I wonder if Teri ever hears from God?  Or does God not speak to anyone with a vagina?

God spoke to the Virgin Mary before Jesus was conceived. He went directly to her, not to her father or to any first century version of Bill Gothard. Jesus is depicted speaking to a number of women directly-- the woman at the well, Mary Magdalene, Mary of Bethany and her sister Martha.

Am I the only one who wants to call bullshit on these letters they get from "satisfied customers"? The ones praising MOTH, as well as the ones praising the Moody books. They just sound so fake. Some other family member emailing them in from fake accounts to make Teri and Sarah feel good? Or just straight up BS sales tactics?

6 hours ago, kpmom said:

Going back to report cards for a moment;

I'm wondering why Teri (or more likely, Steve) changed her mind on the importance of them?

Back in 2010 they wrote this on their web site;

Report Cards

"We no longer give our school-age children report cards. We found them simply to be busy work for Teri, without any real purpose since a report card is designed to give parents information about their child’s academic progress. Teri was aware of how the children were doing in their school work because of her close involvement in their schooling. Our newest book, Managers of Their Schools: A Practical Guide to Homeschooling, has information on many practical aspects of homeschooling: from keeping track of school hours, to planning for school, to school assignment sheets, and so much more. For more information on the book, please click here."

Did she mention in the Mom's Corner what caused the change of heart?  Maybe they figure other mother's won't be as aware of how their kids are doing because, unlike Teri, they don't have such a close involvement in their schooling.  :kitty-wink:

Doesn't a report card also inform the student? Gives them a chance to see how they're doing overall in their subjects -- something that might get lost in the day-to-day of class work. 

Sigh. Maybe that was covered in the weekly meetings. 

3 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

God spoke to the Virgin Mary before Jesus was conceived. He went directly to her, not to her father or to any first century version of Bill Gothard. Jesus is depicted speaking to a number of women directly-- the woman at the well, Mary Magdalene, Mary of Bethany and her sister Martha.

Well from where I sit God doesn't speak to anyone because he doesn't exist. So my view is that Steve does whatever he pleases. He doesn't even  have to believe there is a God, he just has to keep other people thinking there is. He can then rule his little empire and pretend any damn thing he please. 

4 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Doesn't a report card also inform the student? Gives them a chance to see how they're doing overall in their subjects -- something that might get lost in the day-to-day of class work. 

Sigh. Maybe that was covered in the weekly meetings. 

You don't need to know how we'll you're doing if you're never going to leave the house.

9 hours ago, donnal said:

Am I the only one who wants to call bullshit on these letters they get from "satisfied customers"? The ones praising MOTH, as well as the ones praising the Moody books. They just sound so fake. Some other family member emailing them in from fake accounts to make Teri and Sarah feel good? Or just straight up BS sales tactics?

I always assume it's a combination. They might get some e-mails, but, like the comments to the blog posts, the Maxwells edit them to make them sound better. 

Their past history has shown them to heavily edit email. Many jingers have posted their original email compared to the edited version in the Tit's2 comment section. Some have been edited so much that the original meaning was completely reversed.

I believe they do so with their "fans" as well.

Archived