IGNORED

Stories

47of74

Secless? What kind of name is that? It says something that my phone tried to autocorrect it to "sexless".

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, Ancient History Lesson here: my father, in the 1940s, at age 13 or so, used to drive the farm truck from Chicago Suburbia to the Water Market in Chicago at 4 am, with his father in tow. (Grandpa's eyes were wayyyyyy bad, and the Law allowed that an underaged driver was much safer than a half-blind driver of legal age.) This was before big malls with empty parking lots, and also before industrial sections happened, which were empty at night and were GREAT for learning how to handle a vehicle.

But there is a BIG honking difference between taking a kid (pick a reasonable age) out onto Your Back Forty Acres, or an empty industrial park at 9 pm----and turning them loose onto a city or suburban street.

Having a kid control the steering wheel is one thing. Having a kid control the gas pedal and breaks is completely different. There is a reason drivers Ed cars have breaks on the passenger side.

I'm in the midst of teaching my second child to drive and it's terrifying. She hit the gas instead of the breaks too, then slammed on the breaks. It was not fun, not fun at all. My husband is going to have to do more with this because I don't think I can do this again. While teaching my oldest to drive, I kept thinking I have to do this with the other three too. Crap.

7 minutes ago, samira_catlover said:

OK, Ancient History Lesson here: my father, in the 1940s, at age 13 or so, used to drive the farm truck from Chicago Suburbia to the Water Market in Chicago at 4 am, with his father in tow. (Grandpa's eyes were wayyyyyy bad, and the Law allowed that an underaged driver was much safer than a half-blind driver of legal age.) This was before big malls with empty parking lots, and also before industrial sections happened, which were empty at night and were GREAT for learning how to handle a vehicle.

But there is a BIG honking difference between taking a kid (pick a reasonable age) out onto Your Back Forty Acres, or an empty industrial park at 9 pm----and turning them loose onto a city or suburban street.

I know people who let thier 13 year old drive on back roads all the time. I don't know how they can stand it because I hate teaching kids to drive. My seven year old son? God only knows what goes through his mind sometimes! 

I wonder if that kid in the story feels guilty for crashing his parents car? Or if they got mad at him.

Yeah it's different to let a kid drive in an empty lot with lots of room.  Or on the farm like I was at the age of 12.  I'd drive the truck through the fields on my dad's farmland, as well as tractors with farm implements.  I was kind of nervous about doing stuff like that at first because a kid at church who was my age got killed when the tractor he was driving tipped over.  But I got comfortable with it after a while.

There was also a story my driver's ed teacher told the class one time that there was a kid attending a party with his parents and the dad got absolutely plastered.  The mom didn't have a license to drive and the kid only had a learners permit.  They started home with the dad passed out in the back seat with the kid driving and the mom in the front seat.  The family got pulled over but instead of getting in a shitload of trouble the kid was thanked by the cop for keeping his father from driving home in the state he was in.

The 80s were fun. My cousin used to drive to town at 12-14 with granddaddy with no permit or anything.

One day about 18 yrs ago, DH and the late grandfather of a a late  friends' nephew were talking outside, and the next thing they knew then almost 2 yr old had taken off in the pickup. A few years later, at thelate friend's house, th  same nephew was in friend's mom's car, the nephew said "Go faster", and pushed the brake which made them hit the shed. No serious damage was done, thank goodness.

Just because a child wants to do something stupid doesn't mean that they should be allowed to.  

Secless? What kind of name is that? It says something that my phone tried to autocorrect it to "sexless".

I'm too distracted by this name to consider anything else...

Up in Dubuque various individuals and organizations have been a target of a person who sends a bunch of racist, sexist, homophobic snail mail.  The local NAACP is now the latest target of whoever this person is.

thonline.com/news/dubuque/article_8fcd196e-3ed6-53db-b10a-b33ad92b1b53.html

A local NAACP leader said the organization won’t be intimidated after receiving an anonymous postcard blaming “black bastards” for a surge of heroin use in Dubuque.

Rather, he would prefer to start a conversation with the author, a prolific, yet anonymous writer who sends the organization postcards on a weekly basis.

“I don’t know what the intent is, but it’s not going to change any of our actions or what we plan on doing for the community,” said Anthony Allen, president of the Dubuque branch of the NAACP.

The handwriting on the postcard bears a strong resemblance to that in a series of communications sent to TH Media and other individuals and organizations in the community over a period of years. The frequently profane, racist and sexist “unsigned mailings” are the subject of an ongoing police investigation, according to authorities.

The city was kind enough to provide evidence to the local newspaper, 171 pages of evidence.  The paper posted said evidence on line.

thonline.com/news/dubuque/pdf_ce955447-9f60-555b-a4d6-7d4d1a02e376.html

I'm pretty sure I've gotten letters and postcards from this clown myself from time to time after sending letters to the editor.  Most of the time I just consigned them to the ol' circular file.  I hope now that a spotlight is being aimed at this he'll finally go away or the county attorney will get off his ass and prosecute said clown. 

Science!

nytimes.com/2016/05/17/health/thomas-manning-first-penis-transplant-in-us.html

A man whose penis was removed because of cancer has received the first penis transplant in the United States, at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.

Thomas Manning, 64, a bank courier from Halifax, Mass., underwent the 15-hour transplant operation on May 8 and 9. The organ came from a deceased donor.

“I want to go back to being who I was,” Mr. Manning said on Friday in an interview in his hospital room. Sitting up in a chair, happy to be out of bed for the first time since the operation, he said he felt well and had experienced hardly any pain.

“We’re cautiously optimistic,” said Dr. Curtis L. Cetrulo, a plastic and reconstructive surgeon and a leader of the surgical team. “It’s uncharted waters for us.”

Did he get to pre-screen the organ before it got attached?

10 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Did he get to pre-screen the organ before it got attached?

More importantly,  did his wife get to pre-screen? 

19 minutes ago, Gossamer1 said:

Must be quite odd for his wife, to be used to be "doing it" with husband's penis for so many years, and then you start doing it with the same man but a different (dead guy's) penis!

But all snark aside I'm impressed at the ability of surgery these days! Will be good for his mental recovery as well.

1 hour ago, Gossamer1 said:

That's a good point.  She would probably be like, no you are not getting the one that is nine inches long and three inches thick.  You are getting a regular sized one.  I don't care what your buddies at the gym/tavern/work/etc are going to say either. 

Is anybody else thinking of the movie Return to Me, where the male protagonist winds up falling for the woman who received his dead wife's heart as a transplant? .... It could have been very, very different.

I have to say good for him if it helps him get back a feeling of normalcy after what I'm sure was a traumatic and painful experience.

All jokes about him picking the biggest dong possible aside, I hope the transplant takes and he can regain some sense of normalcy after his illness. Losing any body part is tough, but I think anything involving reproductive organs/elimination can be especially hard for people, especially because of social stigma. So I wish this guy the best and hope that he recovers well.

On May 16, 2016 at 9:55 AM, Gossamer1 said:

He was/is currently single ;)

Come on, really, a cemetery? 

philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/05/17/teacher-allegedly-caught-having-sex-with-student-in-cemetery/

Police are investigating after they say a substitute teacher was caught allegedly having sexual intercourse with a student in a Pennsylvania cemetery.

Authorities say on May 6, in the area of the Easton Cemetery, Kelly Aldinger, 49, and a 17-year-old male were found engaged in sexual intercourse by an Easton Police patrol officer.

Police say at the time of the incident, Aldinger was employed by Source 4 Teachers and was working at Easton Area High School as a substitute teacher.

Once authorities began investigating, the Easton Area School District was contacted and assisted in the investigation.

57 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

He was/is currently single ;)

That will probably come in nice and handy as a pickup line should he care to enter the dating scene - he can show off his world famous attachment.

we see a lot of women getting caught but I bet it has always happened but as usual it was ok since it was a boy getting it on with a teacher.

7 hours ago, 47of74 said:

That will probably come in nice and handy as a pickup line should he care to enter the dating scene - he can show off his world famous attachment.

This is why I shouldn't drink while reading FJ! I almost spit soda on my computer!

11 hours ago, Bethella said:

This is why I shouldn't drink while reading FJ! I almost spit soda on my computer!

Back in late 2008 a couple months after the aluminium MacBook first came out my cousin had accidentally spilled a beverage all over his old machine.  So of course it was time to head to Apple and get a new aluminium MacBook.

(My brother also ordered such a MacBook the second they became available as his old machine had died about three weeks beforehand and he was temporarily exiled to Windowsland). 

One place I worked at there was this guy who's daily coffee consumption was measured in pots.  He'd be so full of caffeine that his hands would shake and there would be coffee all over the place, including on the keyboards.  Those of us who followed him had to clean up the desk surface or work at a sticky nasty workstation.

19 hours ago, pook said:

What the hell is with these woman teachers? 

They're only just now getting caught.

I don't for a second believe it hasn't always been happening. It's just that "once upon a time" boys were considered lucky rather than victims.

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived