IGNORED

Stories

47of74

On May 18, 2016 at 11:00 AM, polecat said:

They're only just now getting caught.

I don't for a second believe it hasn't always been happening. It's just that "once upon a time" boys were considered lucky rather than victims.

they still are. 

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, this isn't about Gov Walker or any other Wisconsin Republicans.

jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/residents-warned-of-huge-snake-slithering-across-grant-county-b99730564z1-380531261.html

The sheriff of Grant County is putting residents on alert after a large snake was reported to have crossed a highway — and is still on the loose.

The fugitive snake, which authorities think is a python, was seen around 5:30 p.m. Sunday crossing Highway 61 in Dickeyville, a village not far from the Mississippi River on the way to Dubuque.

And this was no little snake. A post on the Sheriff's Office's Facebook page says it was "as long as the width of both lanes of traffic."

Authorities are advising parents to keep close watch on their children, and the public should not try to catch the snake if it is spotted again.

I sent this to my sister who hates snakes to see what she thinks about that.  She'll probably be glad that she's living several hundred miles away now.

On 5/17/2016 at 11:08 PM, pook said:

What the hell is with these woman teachers? 

We're only seeing them get caught more often now. Women can be child molesters and rapists just the same as dudes. But the student/victim is a 17-year-old boy, so it's perfectly OK and he's probably totally lucky that he scored with a cougar, even though the very same situation with reversed genders would probably trigger a damn lynch mob.

I just learned this evening of the fact that Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart once wrote a song called "Leck mich im Arsch"  That literally translates into "Lick Me in the Arse." 

Here's a bunch of guys singing that.

Wow.  Also LOL.  Learn something new every day.  That's not something they taught us in high school.  But the teachers probably knew that if they told us about that song we'd be joking about that for the rest of the school year. 

Another shooting, this time at UCLA.

cnn.com/2016/06/01/us/ucla-shooting-report/index.html

Two people were killed in a murder-suicide on the UCLA campus Wednesday, prompting a campus-wide lockdown and forcing hundreds of terrified students to hide in buildings.

Suspects are no longer on the loose, and there is no continuing threat on campus, Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said. He said the situation was contained, and a weapon was found.

UCLA Police Chief James Herren said he did not know whether the two males killed were students or staff members. Both were found inside an engineering building.

Authorities had received reports of an active shooter in or near the building, Los Angeles Police Officer Tony Im said.

I just can't.

I was just reading about this on CBC news. I am devastated to hear about this, yet at the same time, I relieved that only two people are dead. 

I think the fact that I am relieved that only two people are dead is a sad statement on the society in which we live. 

I was glued to my computer as this was happening.  I have a lot of loved ones who are there, working or studying.  I am so tremendously sad and angry about more gun violence.

There's a lot about this country that is ridiculous, but the gun-nuts and second amendment lovers are by far the most ridiculous.

We've become so desensitized as a whole to this sort of thing I'm afraid.  It happens so often that something like this barely makes waves since it was "only two people"

Yep. I don't even live in America and whenever I hear about a shooting I just kinda sigh and go "Here we go again". It's a sad state of affairs when that's the reaction.i

The shooter had a "kill list" and a woman on the list has been found dead.

cnn.com/2016/06/02/us/ucla-shooting/index.html?adkey=bn

Police found a "kill list" at the Minnesota home of the gunman who opened fire at UCLA on Wednesday, Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck told CNN affiliate KTLA. The name of the UCLA professor killed by the gunman was on the list, as was the name of another woman who police later found dead, Beck said.

"We did a follow-up investigation to that female's residence in a nearby town in Minnesota and found her deceased by gunshot wound," Beck said.

The police chief said "a dispute over intellectual property" was tied to the UCLA shooting.

Gunman Mainak Sarkar felt the professor he killed had released information "that harmed him," Beck said. "UCLA says this is absolutely not true. This is the workings of his imagination," the police chief said.

At what point can we start taking steps to keep guns away from mentally ill people who have no business having these weapons?

2 hours ago, 47of74 said:

The shooter had a "kill list" and a woman on the list has been found dead.

cnn.com/2016/06/02/us/ucla-shooting/index.html?adkey=bn

At what point can we start taking steps to keep guns away from mentally ill people who have no business having these weapons?

I don't think mentally ill people should go anywhere near a weapon. However, unfortunately, if someone wants to get a gun, they will, no matter if they are allowed to or not.

Real life examples: Last year in Switzerland, a man who was just released from a psychiatric clinic, shot his parents-in-law, his brother-in-law and a neighbour he had a conflict with. He was known for his violent character and was banned from having any weapons. Shortly before the killings, the police actually searched his house for guns, and they didn't find anything. And he still managed to get a gun in the few days between his release from the psychiatric hospital and the murders.

Just a few days ago, a man killed two and injured 12 people in a shooting rampage in Vorarlberg, Austria. He was officially banned from having any guns since 2004. The gun he used for his killing spree was an assault rifle, a type of weapon that is banned altogether in Austria, and when the police searched his house, they also found other weapons.

49 minutes ago, Sundaymorning said:

I don't think mentally ill people should go anywhere near a weapon. However, unfortunately, if someone wants to get a gun, they will, no matter if they are allowed to or not.

Real life examples: Last year in Switzerland, a man who was just released from a psychiatric clinic, shot his parents-in-law, his brother-in-law and a neighbour he had a conflict with. He was known for his violent character and was banned from having any weapons. Shortly before the killings, the police actually searched his house for guns, and they didn't find anything. And he still managed to get a gun in the few days between his release from the psychiatric hospital and the murders.

Just a few days ago, a man killed two and injured 12 people in a shooting rampage in Vorarlberg, Austria. He was officially banned from having any guns since 2004. The gun he used for his killing spree was an assault rifle, a type of weapon that is banned altogether in Austria, and when the police searched his house, they also found other weapons.

Yeah I understand what you're saying here, but it's just very frustrating to see our various government bodies refusing to deal with the problem and the idiotic chest thumping people do here in the US the second someone suggests common sense ways of dealing with the problem.

59 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Yeah I understand what you're saying here, but it's just very frustrating to see our various government bodies refusing to deal with the problem and the idiotic chest thumping people do here in the US the second someone suggests common sense ways of dealing with the problem.

I don't really understand the American obsession with guns. I don't support banning a sane citizen, who hasn't got any issues which suggest that he could be a danger to society, from having a gun. But I'm not against taking guns away from people who seem to be mentally unstable (like PP, who thinks that the government should kill all gays), violent or have other issues which lead to an increased risk potential. Not that they couldn't get a gun illegally the very next day, but maybe you can lower the probability of a gun related crime a bit.

Where I see true potential in lowering gun related deaths is if people would finally stop handling guns in a truly moronic way. Like keeping them in places where children can access, leaving them loaded and so on.

I also would support background checks, and having to pass a test regarding knowledge of gun safety and so on, before you can buy a gun. Only problem is, those who don't pass, will just buy them on the black market.

What in the blazes is going on in Dubuque? Is this city known to have a white supremacist bent? If so, it puts the cross burning incident in a whole new light. 

An Airbnb host is now a former Airbnb host after his racist tirade was published;

wtvm.com/story/32133293/charlotte-man-banned-from-airbnb-after-racial-slur-against-guest

A Northwestern University student identified only as "Jane," reportedly needed a temporary place to stay in Charlotte. That's when she allegedly received messages from a Charlotte-based Airbnb host, that were so offensive, the on-demand home rental giant decided to ban him for life.

The messages were published on a blog by one of Jane's friends, Alicia Luchetti, Tuesday. She says Jane is a 28-year-old student, originally from Africa, who attends Northwestern.

In the screenshots, a man named Todd Warner repeatedly cursed and used racist language despite Jane telling him to stop.

"This is the south darling [sic]," Warner allegedly wrote in one of the messages. "Find another place to rest your n***** head."

Good he got smacked by Airbnb's ban hammer. 

He's a special kind of stupid.  Sending racial slurs in messages that can be posted on the Internet is bound to come back and bite one in the ass in this day and age. 

On 6/2/2016 at 4:37 PM, Geechee Girl said:

What in the blazes is going on in Dubuque? Is this city known to have a white supremacist bent? If so, it puts the cross burning incident in a whole new light. 

Yeah it had the reputation as the Selma of the North.  Back in the late 80s there was a bunch of cross burnings and in response the city decided to encourage recruitment of minorities to the area in the early 90s.  Some of our local racists got really stupid and it got to the point where 20/20 took notice.

Here's an excellent blog post a young man wrote;

imprisonedsociety.wordpress.com/2016/01/08/white-america-the-town-of-dubuque-iowa-written-by-an-anti-racist-white-male/

And of course our local racists are got bent out of shape about this and started spewing their usual garbage.

I think the city has gotten better in the past few years.  It's not perfect but I think people are trying to make the place better.  Of course our postcard mailer and others like him are none to happy over the direction the city is going.

Police up in British Columbia (what you thought this was gonna be Florida) stopped a couple that couldn't wait to get a room and started going at it in the car.

cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/police-stop-car-sex-1.3622677

Cpl. Dennis Hwang said an officer noticed something unusual about a car driving on Number 5 Road and Westminster Highway on Tuesday evening. 

"There were two people where there would have been one traditionally — I'm not going to describe that in any more detail. You can use your imagination," he said. 

"The driver was having trouble keeping his car straight."

Police joked that while the male driver was definitely distracted, no electronic device was found. The driver now faces a $368 ticket for driving without due care and attention and a $167 fine for a seatbelt violation. 

The RCMP said it was kind of a buzz kill for the couple.  Ya think?

They got off easily with just some fines. They could have killed someone. Distracted driving is never okay. If you're mature enough to have sex, you should be mature enough to avoid endangering other people's safety as well as your own and your partner's.

9 hours ago, Mercer said:

They got off easily with just some fines. They could have killed someone. Distracted driving is never okay. If you're mature enough to have sex, you should be mature enough to avoid endangering other people's safety as well as your own and your partner's.

And for what the driver is facing in fines now they could've easily gotten a nice hotel room for a lot cheaper.

"So yet again its time to deal with some off the wall behavior. I guess at this point it should be a surprise, we are a snark site and attract a diverse group of members. Speaking for myself, the sheer level of obsession with FJ coupled with the repetition gots a bit old after awhile. Apparently OperaRocks, a former member here, has decided to mount yet another campaign to harass Curious  into deleting her account at FJ, despite the fact that our clearly posted TOU, which she joined under, says we dont do that.  Under OR's real name and various screen names, she has taken the campaign  to email, Reddit, and Facebook. 
Why is OR a former member you may ask? Because she on multiple occasions sent vicious, insulting emails to several helpmeets after receiving what were routine warnings for violating the FJ TOU (before anyone asks, no we are not going to share the emails, because OR used her real name in them, and we arent going to play tit for tat with her). Now the helpmeets here have pretty thick skins, but they are volunteers who do not need to have profanity laced tirades directed at them for being competent mods. Ergo, OR is no longer a member. 
OR also claims that us actually abiding by our TOU violates her rights, and she has supposedly filled complaints with the FCC and other un-named government entities. It's quite possible she has, since it is fairly easy to submit an informal complaint to the FCC. In fact, here is the link if you are curious about such things:
https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us
To date, we have not been contacted by the FCC or any other regulatory agency. If we are, we will of course comply with any inquiry and will change the TOU if necessary. Becasue we are rational folk like that. As always, happy snarking.

A decorated Army Ranger has been arrested for threatening members of a mosque near Fayetteville;

hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MOSQUE_THREATENED_NORTH_CAROLINA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Russell Thomas Langford, 36, made death threats against members of the mosque about 20 miles southwest of Fayetteville, authorities said.

"He told people at the mosque that he would kill them and bury them behind the mosque," said Capt. John Kivett of the Sheriff's Office. "He brandished a weapon while he was on the property."

Langford, who lives in Fayetteville, was charged with ethnic intimidation, assault with a deadly weapon, going armed to the terror of the public, communicating threats, stalking and disorderly conduct, the sheriff's office said.

A retired US Army officer named Mohammed Khan stopped by to drop off some tables, and tried to talk sense to Langford and got a gun pointed at him for his efforts.

"I was kind of dismayed, shocked and in disbelief. In all of my 32 years of military service I never encountered this kind of redneck," said Khan, who still serves as a volunteer Muslim chaplain at Fort Bragg. "He told me to go back to my country. I said, 'Which country do you want me to go to? Give me the ticket and I will fly.' He said, 'No I will not give you a ticket. I will kill you and bury your body right there.'"

This guy bought into the hatred that many snake oil salesmen are selling these days and probably just wrecked his Army career in the process. 

Deep frikkin sigh.  Thanks for posting, I will read more on it.

Makes me wonder what made him snap.

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived