IGNORED

Stories

47of74

I have a hard time snarking on this subject (and it might frighten me that someone feels there is a need to put this on the books).  My difficult time has roots in my sister sitting at the kitchen table around age 20 or so and saying 'oh, yeah, I've met him'   Him being Richard Grissom - later convicted of killing a few women - they didn't find the bodies.  Then there was the whole 'oh geez, what if we hadn't moved...' aspect of serial killer John E Robinson (aka slave master - ick).  One of his presumed victims lived in the same trailer court we did (and he did) and was between my sister and I in school.  I don't remember her but my sister does.  They never found all of his victims either.  (Both mentioned cases were in Kansas).  Still gives me the heebies.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get me wrong.  I think there should be a strong penalty for hiding corpses.   It's just everything I read lately about WI makes them sound like a state of craziness.

NARAL apparently didn't care too much about the Doritos ultrasound ad;

adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/how-doritos-super-bowl-ad-kicked-twitter-conversation-about-birth-control-169493

Doritos aired the final "Crash the Super Bowl" contest spots during Super Bowl 50. The first was a 30-second spot from Australia which features a pregnant woman getting an ultrasound while her husband munches on some Doritos—and things only get weirder from there.

The spot struck a chord on Twitter, kicking off a conversation about birth control and abortion. Pro-choice organization NARAL saw the ad as "anti-choice" because it "humaniz[ed a] fetus" while others saw it as an "abortion commercial." Still, many of the tweets were lighthearted. 

Here's the Tweet that NARAL had made;

And here's the ad on YouTube;

I think NARAL sort of stepped in it though and the only thing they really did with this tweet was give ammo to the anti-choice freaks.  (Of course NARAL could tweet that they thought the weather was nice today and the anti-choice freaks would twist that around for their own sick purposes).

i didn't watch the commercials this year as i don't have cable and didn't go to a party (i'm rarely interested in the game). is it just me or are the commercials getting less and less entertaining every year?

I read this title and thought, well, that is one way to discourage corpse-hiders from relocating to WI....

2 hours ago, browncoatslytherin said:

i didn't watch the commercials this year as i don't have cable and didn't go to a party (i'm rarely interested in the game). is it just me or are the commercials getting less and less entertaining every year?

No it's not just you.  I remember the commercials used to be a lot more entertaining back in the 90s and even the early 00s.  Back in the days of frogs saying Bud.  Weis.  Errrr.  Or people saying Whassup to each other.    

I actually liked the Doritos commercial.  It made me think of my sister's cat Maggie and how much she loves Doritos.  When she was younger if one threw a Doritos chip she might well go after it like that kid did in the commercial.

IMG_6766.thumb.jpg.1deb86d5769e4b7e4f2f7

I am friends with a woman (I've known her since jr high) and her sister was a victim of domestic abuse. One day she snapped and took a baseball bat to her husband. She put him in a sleeping bag and rolled him up in a rug I believe, and left him in a spare bedroom. He would have stayed hidden (her kids just figured he left and nobody gave a damn anyway) except her house had been foreclosed and she asked a friend to help her move the body. She was arrested and there was a discussion whether she should be tried for murder though there were plenty of reports of abuse or for hiding the corpse. She did 10 years for Man 2 and hiding the corpse. She was in a half way house for 2 years and now is out. Her kids supported her and her sisters did too during the trial but because she hid the body, it was hard.  And yes this was in Central Wisconsin. Now she's just trying to recover her life. 

There are crazies everywhere. We Cheeseheads just seem to bring out the smelly ones..... and yes I believe Steven Avery is guilty of murder and probably more than one. 

37 minutes ago, Mrsaztx said:

I didn't watch all of it, but at least half, and I didn't see any horses, wtf?!

Yeah the Clydesdales did make it in - there was a Budweiser ad I think about halfway through that had them.

I was disappointed that we didn't have beer bottles playing football like there used to be back in the 90s. 

5 hours ago, 47of74 said:

No it's not just you.  I remember the commercials used to be a lot more entertaining back in the 90s and even the early 00s.  Back in the days of frogs saying Bud.  Weis.  Errrr.  Or people saying Whassup to each other.    

I actually liked the Doritos commercial.  It made me think of my sister's cat Maggie and how much she loves Doritos.  When she was younger if one threw a Doritos chip she might well go after it like that kid did in the commercial.

IMG_6766.thumb.jpg.1deb86d5769e4b7e4f2f7

OT but that kitty looks like he/she's related to my sister's feline headship.

@47of74 ah, well they must be in a deminished capacity since they used to be at nearly every commercial break. For the last couple years I feel like they've been the only ones worth watching. Maybe they had to stop because all the alpha male football fans didn't want to cry during their game

I feel like I'm the only person who kind of liked the puppymonkeybaby...

And as far as the doritos commercial goes, I am pro-choice but I think it's just a dumb ad. "Humanizing" a fetus (which is, well, actually human) doesn't mean they're trying to send an anti-choice message. Have they seen all the other things that get humanized in commercials? There are commercials with talking toe fungus, ffs.

It's a rather unfortunate commercial, but I really don't think NARAL should be picking this particular battle. If you give the impression that you are outraged about absolutely everything, then outrage is assumed to be your default state and it's harder to be taken seriously about true human rights concerns. I think it would be better for those of us who are pro-choice to let this one pass with an eye roll and focus on more significant cultural issues - of which there are plenty.

38 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I feel like I'm the only person who kind of liked the puppymonkeybaby...

And as far as the doritos commercial goes, I am pro-choice but I think it's just a dumb ad. "Humanizing" a fetus (which is, well, actually human) doesn't mean they're trying to send an anti-choice message. Have they seen all the other things that get humanized in commercials? There are commercials with talking toe fungus, ffs.

This seriously made me laugh as I started to think about pro-toe-fungus-lifers.  "We need to shut down podiatry offices!  They are nothing more than toe fungus slaughter houses!" "Toe fungus is a living microorganism!"

EDIT: And, while the commercial is silly, the pregnant woman is pretty much full-term.  Hell, the commercial ends with her giving birth.  Ummmmm... a full-term fetus/baby kind of is a human, so... yeah.  It's not like the ultrasound is of a zygote or something...

I thought the doritos commercial was dumb, and I'm one of those people who sort of hate doritos, so whatev. NARAL was outraged at pretty much every ad except Ax body spray, which I also won't be purchasing because it smells like fraternity brother. So there's that. 

I was not a fan of the trends I saw in advertising this year. 

But I was especially amused/horrified at the "Super Bowl Babies" choir singing about their parents having sex after a football game. On top of that,  they skipped the babies born in 1985 and that's just mean. 

On 2/9/2016 at 6:27 PM, 19 cats and counting said:

OT but that kitty looks like he/she's related to my sister's feline headship.

Does said feline headship reside in the St. Louis area?  That's where Maggie lives with her feline bro Marvel.

I got new favorite MST3K lines from The Day the Earth Froze...

Damn Trace can do a good Bullwinkle!

The TSA account. 

O. M. G.   

And the commentary! 

An 8.5” knife was discovered inside an enchilada at the Sonoma County Airport (STS). While this was a great catch, the passenger’s intent was delicious, not malicious, and she was cleared for travel. It’s always important to double check your bags and enchiladas

Also - who takes grenades in their carry on? Or a meat slicer? Or batman throwing stars?

I thought NASA posted some awesome stuff.  I had no idea.  

https://www.instagram.com/tsa/

Also.  the comments! Oh the comments!  Glorious stuff. 

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived