IGNORED

Josiah Duggar Part 4

happy atheist

8 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

The idea of four year olds using tablets just doesn't compute for me, no pun intended. Granted, I was messing around with an Apple IIe when I was four, but I think there's a difference between using a desktop (and a primitive one at that) to play the odd video game for ten minutes a day, and a tablet that's just with you all the time. 

Yeah, my 4 year olds love when they grab my phone when I'm not looking, but my opinion is that kids their age should be playing with like blocks and cars and dolls and crayons. They are SO imaginative right now, it's actually really fun to watch and listen to them make up crazy complex play schemes.

Though I am editing to add that I am no saintly parent, they watch way too much tv in addition to all the creative play. haha

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/25/2016 at 11:39 AM, Hera said:

Yeah, in the U.S., this is almost certainly illegal on the part of your employer, even if you willingly choose to work because you feel you have no other options.  I'd honestly be wary of working for anyone who proposes this arrangement.  They're taking advantage of you.

I agree you are being ripped off.  I nannied in college, I worked for room and board use of a vehicle and a small stipend.  It wasn't much $400 a month (back in the early 90's) but it was enough for play money and paid for a text book or 2 for a broke ass college kid.  I only watched 2 kids they were 5 & 3 it was a pretty sweet gig. They were in day care all day while I was in class, and I watched them until mom and dad got home, they were both doctors so they worked long odd hours and needed live in help. 

On February 25, 2016 at 0:27 PM, tumblr said:

I chose to work for free to get the experience + room and board. I have been doing this for about 6 months now and have started applying for other jobs in the field. She does occasionally give me money that she calls a bonus I just have no set salary or payday or the like. I definitely wouldn't do it forever but I am pretty young and needed a kind boss who would put up with my complete inexperience. 

Working for free or for very, very little money seems to be the norm for private childcare right now honestly. I have several friends who have taken similar gigs because if you aren't lucky enough to have had babysitting or similar experience they are weary of you. Some people definitely abuse this and I hate that it is so normally right now but it is what it is. 

If you're in the US, this is not legal. You should contact an employment attorney. http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs79b.htm

I wonder if they make Josiah talk about his failed courtship on counting on? Jim Bob would probably want TLC to push for it to embarrass him. 

Oh I hope not. Let him have a shred of privacy left. But I wouldn't put it past JB nor TLC to at least have it addressed in some way on the show.

I hope that, if he does address it, he does it of his own volition because it'll give him closure. I very much doubt that that would happen though.

I think they may say something about courting allowed them to realize that God did not see them as a match. Fortunately, they hadn't given away pieces of their hearts, unlike evil dating.

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

I think they may say something about courting allowed them to realize that God did not see them as a match. Fortunately, they hadn't given away pieces of their hearts, unlike evil dating.

Ugh, gross. You're probably right, though. JB and M probably wouldn't let them saying anything more than that.

15 hours ago, twinmama said:

Yeah, my 4 year olds love when they grab my phone when I'm not looking, but my opinion is that kids their age should be playing with like blocks and cars and dolls and crayons. They are SO imaginative right now, it's actually really fun to watch and listen to them make up crazy complex play schemes.

Though I am editing to add that I am no saintly parent, they watch way too much tv in addition to all the creative play. haha

I have to say, the more I see what's available for kids nowadays and how parents have to wade through it all, the more grateful I am that I raised my kids before the advent of all this modern technology. When mine were little there were very few people who had home computers, there was no internet, tablets, smartphones, heck there was no cable service in my small town back then. Kids played with toys only and had to make up their games as they went along. We had TVO and CBC for kids' programming, though the reception was kinda fuzzy. And for when I really needed to get stuff done around the house, we had Disney movies that I could pop in the VCR. When we finally had internet, it was dial-up so there was no question of the kids spending tons of time online. The neighbourhood  was always crawling with kids because there wasn't a whole lot for them to do indoors.

I realize that I sound like one of those cranky old ladies waxing poetic about the good old days. That's not my intention, it just seems that there was less second-guessing about what to allow your kids to do simply because there weren't as many options out there.

On 2/19/2016 at 4:18 AM, Alye said:

Thank you. I'm 28, with a Bachelor's and a Graduate Diploma and the only jobs I can find are part-time customer service so I still live with my parents. Nowadays finding a job is so hard you take what you can get. I feel like a failure stuck in jobs that a well trained monkey can do but unfortunately my need for a job trumps my pride. 

Yup I have 2 Bachelors and a Masters, still living with my parents and working for the family business. I can't find a full time job to save my life! It feels like shit but what can you do? 

2 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

Yup I have 2 Bachelors and a Masters, still living with my parents and working for the family business. I can't find a full time job to save my life! It feels like shit but what can you do? 

I'm in the same crappy boat too.  Frustrating as hell and has done quite a number on my self-esteem.  But I know if I keep at it I'll find something eventually

On 2/26/2016 at 5:57 PM, twinmama said:

Good point about them being around forever. I just can't imagine buying my kids a toy that expensive. But they don't have iPads, phones, tablets or any of that business either (they're 4, and seriously, like once a month someone in a mother's group I'm in asks what the best tablet for her toddler is...).

I was in a group (that I've sort of separated myself from lately)...and one of the moms was talking about getting a tablet for her 2 year old at Christmas. It was a bit shocking to me, honestly. Of course, this was the same lady that laughed when before my son was born, I was asking for children's book suggestions. She said something like, "It will be years before you'll need those! LOL!"  Um...no, lady. I started reading to my son when he was a few days old. 

18 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I wonder if they make Josiah talk about his failed courtship on counting on? Jim Bob would probably want TLC to push for it to embarrass him. 

Ha, I totally see that. JB doesn't seem to like Josiah very much (probably because he is not a super macho manly man). I can see how JB wants to embarrass him in front of the camera. In fact it seems to me that Josiah is his least favorite child. Poor Josiah!

(I think you can see who JB's favorites are and who is not: He tends to like the girls more in general, especially Jill and Josie, from all the boys he liked Josh the most until the scandals. Now it's more difficult to say but probably Joseph. Just a gut feeling...)

I went back to school at almost 30 despite already having a similar degree because there were just NO jobs anywhere and I could at least get a stipend for being a student. I'll probably do a masters afterwards and pray for the best after that. This economy sucks. I'll never judge anyone for doing what they have to do. 

As for Marjorie, she is only, what, 18? Pretty much every job for someone that age is going to be low skilled labor. I give her credit for earning her own coin and gaining work experience. 

5 minutes ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I went back to school at almost 30 despite already having a similar degree because there were just NO jobs anywhere and I could at least get a stipend for being a student. I'll probably do a masters afterwards and pray for the best after that. This economy sucks. I'll never judge anyone for doing what they have to do. 

As for Marjorie, she is only, what, 18? Pretty much every job for someone that age is going to be low skilled labor. I give her credit for earning her own coin and gaining work experience. 

Cheers to you, I also went back to school at 30 just to get a Master's degree in engineering so I can get at least some kind of job that is not underpayed or even unpayed (internships suck). Times have changed so much it's insane. Even engineering  starting salaries dropped to 70% of what they used to be.

12 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

I was in a group (that I've sort of separated myself from lately)...and one of the moms was talking about getting a tablet for her 2 year old at Christmas. It was a bit shocking to me, honestly. Of course, this was the same lady that laughed when before my son was born, I was asking for children's book suggestions. She said something like, "It will be years before you'll need those! LOL!"  Um...no, lady. I started reading to my son when he was a few days old. 

OMG yikes! Yeah I read to my boys when they were in the NICU. Haha!

9 hours ago, vaticanmember said:

Ha, I totally see that. JB doesn't seem to like Josiah very much (probably because he is not a super macho manly man). I can see how JB wants to embarrass him in front of the camera. In fact it seems to me that Josiah is his least favorite child. Poor Josiah!

(I think you can see who JB's favorites are and who is not: He tends to like the girls more in general, especially Jill and Josie, from all the boys he liked Josh the most until the scandals. Now it's more difficult to say but probably Joseph. Just a gut feeling...)

None of the Duggar males are macho men, except maybe in their own minds. The only way to show "manliness" in Gothardism is by siring as many children as possible, which doesn't require any character or effort.

On 27.2.2016 at 6:16 PM, Bad Wolf said:

So people who date care about each other more and people who court are just coldly interacting?

On 2/27/2016 at 8:21 AM, HarleyQuinn said:

Personally I think they're going to push him to win Marjie back. I could see them trying to convince her and her parents that God has forgiven Smuggy and now they're back on TV!!! 

38 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

None of the Duggar males are macho men, except maybe in their own minds. The only way to show "manliness" in Gothardism is by siring as many children as possible, which doesn't require any character or effort.

Well, for me, a macho man does not mean having or showing true strength or character. It is more of a negative term you use for men who just pretend to be honorable and manly when they are in fact not. It's a hypercompensation of lacking honor and strength. And ultimately not being true to yourself in order to portray a pseudo manly guy.

And the Duggar man pretend to be manly a lot of times, especially JB and Josh. So they are macho men. There are probably many definitions of what a macho is but I only know this one. Is there a more positive one?

IMO a macho man is one who is cradling his newborn in one arm and letting his toddler paint his nails on the other. A macho man, loads the dishwasher, cooks meals and changes diapers. He supports his wife, supports his children and smiles while doing it. Nothing is "beneath" him. Nothing is "woman's work". He is an equal partner in parenthood and life. That is my definition of a macho man.

7 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

IMO a macho man is one who is cradling his newborn in one arm and letting his toddler paint his nails on the other. A macho man, loads the dishwasher, cooks meals and changes diapers. He supports his wife, supports his children and smiles while doing it. Nothing is "beneath" him. Nothing is "woman's work". He is an equal partner in parenthood and life. That is my definition of a macho man.

So basically the perfect man?

On 2/27/2016 at 10:16 AM, Bad Wolf said:

They will use Josh 's scandals as an excuse.Most viewers will be satified with that. I also think the new show will avoid topics like "giving away a peice of your heart".

I think Mela99 could be right. Marjorie is still hanging around the Duggars.

2 hours ago, vaticanmember said:

So basically the perfect man?

Basically sounds like most of the men in my life, thankfully.

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived