IGNORED

Josiah Duggar Part 4

happy atheist

35 minutes ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

I FEEL you. I graduated in 2009 with a double major in journalism and mass communication and history. A journalism degree, right at the same time the Chicago Tribune was declaring bankruptcy. Awesome. I still remember one of my upper-level classes I took senior year in my J-school. There were a lot of middle-aged grad students in the class. As the economy was tanking, the class turned into more of a therapy session for all of us. The 40 year olds looked at the 22 year olds with envy. They told us at the time it's better to be young, single and not have a family with the lack of jobs out there. Go find some entry level job. Half the class was freaking out because they were middle-aged, trying to find a job in the field AND support a family. Lesson learned: Take what you can get. Build up that resume with what you can. Ahhhh journalism school therapy sessions. Those were the days.

Mr. No lost his job at the beginning of 2009 during one of the worst months for job losses.   He ended up going back to school and a good number of classmates were middle aged people who lost their jobs like him.  They were freaking out over how they were going to make it even in the new fields they were studying for because they knew they were starting over.   I remember Mr. No saying the experience would have been a lot easier if he were younger though it did help that we had no children to support and I luckily did not lose my job which was in the automotive industry (many thanks given to the automotive bailout).  

Mr. No got a new job, it wasn't and still isn't ideal (big salary hit, wacked out management) but it's in the field he studied for while unemployed.   He also took on website designing as freelance, anything to build up his experience.

And interesting story going back to the retail job that people deemed so unworthy of a college graduate.  A few years later I applied for a job and that experience was a major plus.  I got the job which was a considerable step up.  You never know when experience will prove valuable. 

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

Mr. No lost his job at the beginning of 2009 during one of the worst months for job losses.   He ended up going back to school and a good number of classmates were middle aged people who lost their jobs like him.  They were freaking out over how they were going to make it even in the new fields they were studying for because they knew they were starting over.   I remember Mr. No saying the experience would have been a lot easier if he were younger though it did help that we had no children to support and I luckily did not lose my job which was in the automotive industry (many thanks given to the automotive bailout).  

Mr. No got a new job, it wasn't and still isn't ideal (big salary hit, wacked out management) but it's in the field he studied for while unemployed.   He also took on website designing as freelance, anything to build up his experience.

And interesting story going back to the retail job that people deemed so unworthy of a college graduate.  A few years later I applied for a job and that experience was a major plus.  I got the job which was a considerable step up.  You never know when experience will prove valuable. 

I enjoyed reading your story, even though losing a job sucks. Also, no matter what the job, retail or otherwise, there is always something to be learned or gained, as long as you keep an open mind. As for me, when I graduated college in 09, I was so sure I had something lined up... and then it completely fell apart. So, I went home after graduating and had to start a new plan from scratch. After two months of not getting any headway, my dad talked to his friend who is the local newspaper editor. Nothing was open at her office, but she gave us the name of a website where small town papers advertise for recent graduates for general reporters. I went on there and quickly got two interviews and a job offer. I moved to a smaller town where I knew no one, but I was open to learning as much as I could. A few years later, I was promoted to news editor at their sister paper the town over. Life can throw curve balls, but you've got to be open to taking a swing at the unexpected. You never know what will get you to the next base.

2 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

All of this talk about taking jobs "beneath" themselves reminds me of a kid movie: "Kit Kittredge: An American Girl".

If you want to discuss taking care of a family during hard times in a "light" way with your kids, watch that movie. Kit is a depression area kid and her mom has to take in boarders as houses are foreclosing all over the place. Dad has left for the big city to find work. In one scene a boy is embarrassed that his once big shot dad is now working for the city sweeping up trash. Dad tries to say "Hi" and his son acts like he doesn't know his dad. The son's friend has a dad that won't take any job beneath his status and the kid's attitude shows it. The kids find some vagabonds and they kids find out that several of these people are honest hard working folks, they just have lost everything and the camp helps everyone out.

I wish I could take an internship or a cut in pay to get out of my current situation but the family bills say otherwise. I will graduate with my master's in April and I want to get out of government work and get into private industry and I am having issues getting interviews. Very frustrating.

People love to hate on American Girl but all of their books and movies are amazing resources for kids. The historical books tend to be pretty accurate and teach history while also teaching lessons and morals without being preachy or weird about and the non-fiction books are amazing for teaching a variety of subjects that parents might not have answers for or find hard to talk about. 

I will never understand the superior attitude towards lesser paying jobs. My husband unexpectedly lost his managerial job through no fault of his own last July. We were in the process of buying our first house and just scrambling to figure out what to do. He was able to find a job days later that paid a lot less, like a lot less, but promised quick upward movement and just an invaluable amount of hands on training. Well, those promises they made were empty (except thankfully the training/experience) and about 8 months later with no pay increases as promised and no movement, they announce they are going out of business. We were left scrambling again- and now we had a house payment to worry about. Thankfully he landed himself into a better paying job as a temporary worker just a few weeks later. Ironically, those skills he picked up from the previous job are what helped him get hired on as a full-time employee by the company just 3 months later. He is now back in school working towards a degree that he can use at this company and they are willing to pay for it. It was a year of scraping by and being stressed but those lesser paying jobs have allowed us to keep our house and food on the table all without government assistance and now my husband has finally found a degree that he is truly interested in and excited about. 

3 hours ago, tumblr said:

People love to hate on American Girl but all of their books and movies are amazing resources for kids. The historical books tend to be pretty accurate and teach history while also teaching lessons and morals without being preachy or weird about and the non-fiction books are amazing for teaching a variety of subjects that parents might not have answers for or find hard to talk about. 

Did you see the announcement American Girl made today with introducing their third African American historical doll? Her name is Melody, she lives in 1960s Detroit during the Civil Rights era and she LOVES Motown. I grew up on those books. That's pretty awesome.

My father is from that time and era, so I expect a good dose of father daughter bonding.

I remember him telling me about how upset parents were about their kids being bussed over to the "black schools," which were often much worse quality than the white schools.

American Girl dolls were after my childhood (I was a Cabbage Patch Kid child), but I googled them when I was pregnant a few years ago and the insanely astronomical price for a DOLL made me so happy I was having boys. Yes, I know boys can have dolls and mine have some, but the odds say at least your boy child is less likely to beg for an American Girl doll. The books and all that might be nice, but a $100+ DOLL is crazy.

20 minutes ago, twinmama said:

American Girl dolls were after my childhood (I was a Cabbage Patch Kid child), but I googled them when I was pregnant a few years ago and the insanely astronomical price for a DOLL made me so happy I was having boys. Yes, I know boys can have dolls and mine have some, but the odds say at least your boy child is less likely to beg for an American Girl doll. The books and all that might be nice, but a $100+ DOLL is crazy.

Last night my kid asked me to buy her $500 dollars worth of Girl of the Year and her f'g Tiki Hut.  I was like... I don't think we have room for more American Girl stuff.  Ask your dad.  

On 2/22/2016 at 10:17 AM, tumblr said:

So this varies hugely on region and also the specific family. I am a Mother's Helper which is live in help for the mother that could be child care or cleaning or cooking or errands or anything she asks, I am also unpaid sense I had no prior experience. My friend is called a babysitter, she lives out and helps several different families on a scheduled bases for an hourly pay + bonus. Nanny's are generally contracted household help that can be live in or live out. Child Care Provider is normally a preschool/daycare/YMCA/anything along those lines employee whose sole duty is child care. There are more terms such as Au Pair, Household manager and family care giver that are all in the Child Care Industry. What requirements each title needs are completely up to the parents, agency, business or who ever manages hiring. A college degree generally isn't necessary but makes you more desirable and makes you more money. Typically the most important thing is hands on experience and enthusiasm. If you speak English you can get hired with very few questions asked in many non English speaking countries. Child Care jobs are actually pretty easy to land but are hugely demanding. 

Honestly, the excuses people use to get unpaid labor.... You deserve to be paid for a full time job regardless of your prior experience. Just my opinion...

27 minutes ago, Ofglen said:

Honestly, the excuses people use to get unpaid labor.... You deserve to be paid for a full time job regardless of your prior experience. Just my opinion...

Also, @tumblr: in general, if you're in the U.S., with very few exceptions (and I don't know the situation well enough to say), you are required by law to be paid minimum wage and probably overtime, prior experience or not.  

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs79b.htm

On 11/22/2015 at 4:21 PM, Bad Wolf said:

It's always good to have a career.:laughing-lettersrofl:

Crown College probably has a degree in it!  (Josiah's grifting, that is)  :Bazinga:

10 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

Last night my kid asked me to buy her $500 dollars worth of Girl of the Year and her f'g Tiki Hut.  I was like... I don't think we have room for more American Girl stuff.  Ask your dad.  

Ugh, so glad I was a barbie kid. Much less expensive

10 hours ago, Ofglen said:

Yeah...what?  I mean since you're live-in I could understand being paid a stipend that would amount to less than minimum wage, maybe even significantly less if you're not responsible for room/board at all, but completely unpaid?  What the heck?

11 hours ago, twinmama said:

They are really expensive, but growing up I have ONE American Girl Doll (Samantha).  One - and it was my only Hanukkah/Christmas gift that year from my parents.  And I cared for that thing better than I ever cared for any other doll or toy - it was in great condition when I was 16, and my mom finally decided to donate it to charity.  I didn't get much of the official clothes, and instead got knockoff clothes or made my own for her (mostly hideous denim skirts and such out of my old clothes).  Yes, they're expensive, but certainly no more than an Xbox, tablet, or other common Christmas/birthday gifts, and it got me even more into reading, because I wanted to know everything about Samantha and the other AG dolls.

7 hours ago, DugFan said:

Crown College probably has a degree in it!  (Josiah's grifting, that is)  :Bazinga:

What is Josiah doing nowadays, exactly? Last I read he was fixing drones and selling them on. I suppose we'll find out soon enough on "Counting On". Bleh.

1 hour ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Ugh, so glad I was a barbie kid. Much less expensive

I only had one supermarket fake Barbie, plus one Cindy, which just wasn't the same.  Barbies were expensive in Australia in the 70s!  Unfortunately we were living (like fish out of water) in a suburb with lots of wealthy (in comparison to us) families, and let me tell you I copped teasing about my fake barbie.  Toys are something which have come down in price a lot since I was a kid, and my daughter had a stack of barbies.

5 hours ago, meee said:

Yeah...what?  I mean since you're live-in I could understand being paid a stipend that would amount to less than minimum wage, maybe even significantly less if you're not responsible for room/board at all, but completely unpaid?  What the heck?

I chose to work for free to get the experience + room and board. I have been doing this for about 6 months now and have started applying for other jobs in the field. She does occasionally give me money that she calls a bonus I just have no set salary or payday or the like. I definitely wouldn't do it forever but I am pretty young and needed a kind boss who would put up with my complete inexperience. 

Working for free or for very, very little money seems to be the norm for private childcare right now honestly. I have several friends who have taken similar gigs because if you aren't lucky enough to have had babysitting or similar experience they are weary of you. Some people definitely abuse this and I hate that it is so normally right now but it is what it is. 

3 minutes ago, tumblr said:

I chose to work for free to get the experience + room and board. I have been doing this for about 6 months now and have started applying for other jobs in the field. She does occasionally give me money that she calls a bonus I just have no set salary or payday or the like. I definitely wouldn't do it forever but I am pretty young and needed a kind boss who would put up with my complete inexperience. 

Working for free or for very, very little money seems to be the norm for private childcare right now honestly. I have several friends who have taken similar gigs because if you aren't lucky enough to have had babysitting or similar experience they are weary of you. Some people definitely abuse this and I hate that it is so normally right now but it is what it is. 

Yeah, in the U.S., this is almost certainly illegal on the part of your employer, even if you willingly choose to work because you feel you have no other options.  I'd honestly be wary of working for anyone who proposes this arrangement.  They're taking advantage of you.

23 hours ago, twinmama said:

God, I remember cabbage patch kids. I worked in a toy store between the end of high school and the start of college, right in the middle of that craze. It was completely insane. We'd get a shipment and they'd be gone within a couple of hours. If someone had one on backorder, when it came in we'd have to cover it up and sneak it to the waiting customer at the cash register so there wouldn't be a stampede  with people grabbing for it. And those things were butt-ugly!!!

I had a Cabbage Patch doll.  My dad traveled for business back in the 80s, and he brought them back for me and all my female cousins.  He was the favorite uncle after that.  Lol.

On 2/24/2016 at 6:53 PM, twinmama said:

Back in the old days, before American Girl was bought out by Hasbro or whoever, I remember the founder of the company saying in the catalog that she envisioned the dolls being collectible keepsakes that would be passed on from mother to child, not simply plastic ephemera like Barbie dolls (she never said Barbie, but even as a kid, I knew what she was alluding to). I don't know if that's the philosophy now for American Girl , but I agree that well-made dolls and stuffed animals can last decades, even centuries, whereas the first Barbie dolls are deteriorating quickly because the plastic was cheap and they were never meant to be in pristine condition 60+ years later. I'm not that much into dolls, but I do collect handcrafted teddy bears and stuffed animals, and I'm sure many FJers would be shocked at the prices I've paid for them. I don't plan on having kids, but if I did in some hypothetical world, I would have no complaints about spending $150 for a Steiff teddy bear (which is actually pretty low for Steiff), because the quality is phenomenal, even on the kids' pieces. The concerns about quality control from toys made in China is another reason why I'd chose Steiff over cheaper alternatives.

More on topic, I wonder if the show will address the broken courtship, and if so, how it will be justified without making it seem like Josiah actually dated like a normal teen.

59 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I would have no complaints about spending $150 for a Steiff teddy bear (which is actually pretty low for Steiff), because the quality is phenomenal, even on the kids' pieces

I think those things are fine for collectibles, but it would hurt to watch my kid rip the arm off a $150 bear! The amount of chewing my kids did on their beloved stuffed animals (they each have one they attached to around 1.5 years old) when they were littler was ridiculous. And then there was all the times they got barfed on, but thankfully I could just toss them in the washing machine and dryer.

26 minutes ago, twinmama said:

I think those things are fine for collectibles, but it would hurt to watch my kid rip the arm off a $150 bear! The amount of chewing my kids did on their beloved stuffed animals (they each have one they attached to around 1.5 years old) when they were littler was ridiculous. And then there was all the times they got barfed on, but thankfully I could just toss them in the washing machine and dryer.

There are Steiffs that are still around from before World War I, and I'm pretty sure kids back then were chewing and barfing on toys then as well. It's sort of like the discussion in another thread about how appliances from the 1970s were built to last, as applied to toys. Many people think nothing of buying the newest game console that might cost $300+ new and probably won't even be playable in the near future due to planned obsolesce, so I don't see why a $150 doll or stuffed animal is really that strange. The plush Steiffs at least are machine washable, which does make long-term care much easier.

1 minute ago, Cleopatra7 said:

There are Steiffs that are still around from before World War I, and I'm pretty sure kids back then were chewing and barfing on toys then as well. It's sort of like the discussion in another thread about how appliances from the 1970s were built to last, as applied to toys. Many people think nothing of buying the newest game console that might cost $300+ new and probably won't even be playable in the near future due to planned obsolesce, so I don't see why a $150 doll or stuffed animal is really that strange.

Good point about them being around forever. I just can't imagine buying my kids a toy that expensive. But they don't have iPads, phones, tablets or any of that business either (they're 4, and seriously, like once a month someone in a mother's group I'm in asks what the best tablet for her toddler is...).

10 minutes ago, twinmama said:

Good point about them being around forever. I just can't imagine buying my kids a toy that expensive. But they don't have iPads, phones, tablets or any of that business either (they're 4, and seriously, like once a month someone in a mother's group I'm in asks what the best tablet for her toddler is...).

The idea of four year olds using tablets just doesn't compute for me, no pun intended. Granted, I was messing around with an Apple IIe when I was four, but I think there's a difference between using a desktop (and a primitive one at that) to play the odd video game for ten minutes a day, and a tablet that's just with you all the time. 

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived