IGNORED

Josiah Duggar Part 4

happy atheist

Thank you so much for the explanation....I have a couple of more questions if you don't mind. Are Nanny's degreed? A nurse can't call herself a nurse unless she has the education. Is it the same with Nanny's? Is there a governing body for Nanny's? I guess I will be reading about this. I actually find the differences fascinating.

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those worried about finding a position, I was in the same boat a number of years back- grad degree, no job prospects.  Look outside your field, perhaps way outside.   I had to switch fields entirely (into Ed tech), but it ended up working out fine.   In my department literally nobody has degrees in the field- we're all self taught.   My last hire came out of the Peace Corps.

We just hired a programmer in another group- he has no CS background at all, never taken a course, no certifications, etc.  He's a concert pianist.  He started doing some accounting on the side, ended up automating a bunch of stuff and self trained after that.  He came in with a portfolio of code running in production, which was good enough.

It can be scary as hell when you start moving outside the comfort zone, but you might be surprised at how much you can do.

A friend of my daughter's worked as a nanny for this one family.  When the parents decided to move to Australia, they asked her to come with them.  They paid her the expense of her trip and the expenses she incurred in getting ready to go the Antipodes.  She was a real Mary Poppins to these kids.  I wouldn't be surprised that she pull a hat stand and a rubber plant out of her carpetbag and have a tea party on the ceiling.  She came back to the States last August because the wind shifted.

38 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

Thank you so much for the explanation....I have a couple of more questions if you don't mind. Are Nanny's degreed? A nurse can't call herself a nurse unless she has the education. Is it the same with Nanny's? Is there a governing body for Nanny's? I guess I will be reading about this. I actually find the differences fascinating.

Not in the US. 

I'd say generally the term "babysitter" is used for occasional childcare whereas "nanny" is used for a full-time caregiver with set hours. You call a babysitter to watch your kids while you go on a date, but you hire a nanny to watch your kids while you work. In the US, legally, you're supposed to pay certain taxes on behalf of domestic employees if you pay them more than a threshold amount in a year. It's known as the "nanny tax." Someone who occasionally hires a sitter legally is allowed to pay cash without keeping track of it (whether the sitter needs to report income is separate issue), but one does need to pay taxes for a regular nanny as a domestic employee.

22 minutes ago, RootBeerFloat said:

Not in the US. 

I'd say generally the term "babysitter" is used for occasional childcare whereas "nanny" is used for a full-time caregiver with set hours. You call a babysitter to watch your kids while you go on a date, but you hire a nanny to watch your kids while you work.

That's what I thought too. I had a nanny growing up. She was there every weekday while my parents were at work. She did schedule playdates, and she did housework while we were at school. However, once my parents got home from work she went home. Didn't come on trips or anything like that. Although I guess she was/is kind of like family. She was at all my birthdays and I still talk to her all the time. Mostly about how much she hates the family she works for now haha.

3 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Been there. Ended up having to take a volunteering job in my field to beef up my resume.

I'm sort of in that spot.

I now do security work and as of July background acting on 3 tv shows

1 hour ago, TuringMachine said:

That's what I thought too. I had a nanny growing up. She was there every weekday while my parents were at work. She did schedule playdates, and she did housework while we were at school. However, once my parents got home from work she went home. Didn't come on trips or anything like that. Although I guess she was/is kind of like family. She was at all my birthdays and I still talk to her all the time. Mostly about how much she hates the family she works for now haha.

I had a really similar set up. I didn't really keep in touch with my nanny, though. She left when I was 10 or 11( and no longer adorable haha). I've seen her a few times over the years though and my grandma has kept in touch.

11 minutes ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

I'm sort of in that spot.

I now do security work and as of July background acting on 3 tv shows

Being on some tv shows sounds really fascinating, though.  

Just now, HarryPotterFan said:

I had a really similar set up. I didn't really keep in touch with my nanny, though. She left when I was 10 or 11( and no longer adorable haha). I've seen her a few times over the years though and my grandma has kept in touch.

Being on some tv shows sounds really fascinating, though.  

yeah, but as my friend and I were talking about yesterday its a 24/7 job. got rejected from a booking today because I have worked too much on set lately. 

12 minutes ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

yeah, but as my friend and I were talking about yesterday its a 24/7 job. got rejected from a booking today because I have worked too much on set lately. 

That stinks.

18 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Mine left when I was 8 after my mom decided she'd rather be home with me and my brother than working. I guess it was easy to keep in touch since the next job she took was with the family across the street.

On February 18, 2016 at 4:43 AM, Fundie Bunny said:

Is chick-fil-a the fundie southern version of KFC or what? Now i am curious

It is a fried chicken chain like KFC, but they only do boneless-chicken breast "filets" and their main thing is sandwiches.  The owner is a Fundie who makes a big deal about being a Christian and running a Christian business and all that. 

A few years ago, the company had bad press because someone in the management was making comments against gay marriage.  There was a boycott by LGBT supporters.  They also used to give money to groups that were anti LGBT (the sort of group the Duggars love).  But Chik fil-a has actually turned over a new leaf. I know that they recently contributed to a LGBT student conference. (They are based in Georgia.)

KFC started out in the South, but "the Colonel" was no Fundie.

On 2/19/2016 at 1:18 AM, Alye said:

Thank you. I'm 28, with a Bachelor's and a Graduate Diploma and the only jobs I can find are part-time customer service so I still live with my parents. Nowadays finding a job is so hard you take what you can get. I feel like a failure stuck in jobs that a well trained monkey can do but unfortunately my need for a job trumps my pride. 

Good for you, Alye. I know far too many people who label these jobs "beneath them" and choose not to work at all. Years later, guess where they are? Still not working. While the ones who took the low-paying jobs kept the employment juices flowing and were available to see better opportunities when they came along.

When I was a (rather judgmental) teen, my father's best friend lost his engineering job, and he took a job as a janitor. When I made a snide comment, my mother quickly put me in my place by telling me "He's doing what he needs to do to support his family."

I quickly shut up. Point taken and lesson learned.

To the posters who said they feel like failures - please don't! Failure, to me, is sitting on your rear and doing nothing to improve/change/progress. The job market is tough. Sometimes one has to go beyond one's comfort zone, outside one's own field, sometimes even outside one's own country.

Also, I am irritated by the attitude of some that a minimum-wage job (and the holder of such job) must be somewhat beneath others. My dad always told me it doesn't matter what you do, as long as you put in the effort to be number one at doing it. You are cleaning toilets? Be the best toilet cleaner you can be, and so forth.

Finally, I am hesitant to label anyone as a failure, but if we are playing this game, who is a failure? Someone who has found a job and actively chooses to work, or someone who is healthy, able, and perfectly capable, could work, but actively chooses to advance in life by grifting?

17 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

Nannies CAN be degreed, and some families require it. But, that's an individual choice. There isn't a "nanny degree," though. Most families that have nannies with degrees go for nannies with ECE coursework -- though, truthfully, I don't see the point. If I'm going to have an ECE degree, I'm going to be a teacher and be guaranteed benefits, instead of having to pay for everything out of pocket. Plus, ECE degrees don't really improve the care of a child in a home setting. 

There isn't a governing body for nannies, but there are certification programs in some states (like Trustline in California) and nanny agencies more or less act as a governing body, protecting both their nannies and their families.

18 hours ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

Nannies CAN be degreed, and some families require it. But, that's an individual choice. There isn't a "nanny degree," though. Most families that have nannies with degrees go for nannies with ECE coursework -- though, truthfully, I don't see the point. If I'm going to have an ECE degree, I'm going to be a teacher and be guaranteed benefits, instead of having to pay for everything out of pocket. Plus, ECE degrees don't really improve the care of a child in a home setting. 

There isn't a governing body for nannies, but there are certification programs in some states (like Trustline in California) and nanny agencies more or less act as a governing body, protecting both their nannies and their families.

Completely agree that the vast majority of nannies do not have degrees, though some will have degrees/trade training in early childhood education. I thought it'd also be worth mentioning the British institution, Norland College. They have been educating upper class nannies for more than a century, and are well regarded internationally (see http://www.norland.co.uk) its one of the very few degrees for nannies internationally, and are incredibly sought after by the royal family, celebrities, and world leaders. Emirates airlines "sky nannies" are all trained by Norland... But again, very much the exception rather than the rule!

On 2/19/2016 at 8:58 PM, vaticanmember said:

Good for her for having a job, but I still would not like to see her in a courtship with Josiah again. They were very awkward with each other and Marjorie seemed to have too much of an overbearing energy, whereas Josiah seemed too sensitive for her. She would have depleted him.

I think he needs someone who is strong but definately more calm und understanding. It would really break my heart a little for Josiah if they are together again...

i don't think it's even possible for them to get back together at this point...now that she's been out in the real world and tainted by an unsheltered job. can you imagine a duggar boy being allowed to court such a woman of the world? i know that fundie girls like the bates have worked before marriage, but the bates' jobs were all jobs that offered their parents the ability to greatly shelter them.  erin taught piano at home, michaela nannied (and you can bet your bottom dollar that her parents screened those families), alyssa worked in a flower shop with her aunt (or possibly got a job at another store though her aunt...regardless, a small flower shop with a few employees that could all be vetted by the 'rents)....

anyways the unsheltered nature of marjorie's job seems like a monumental step to me. 

I doubt they'll get back together because it seems like they "dated", realized they aren't compatible, and broke up. It's probably one of  the most normal relationship experiences a Duggar has had to date. 

On 2/20/2016 at 2:49 AM, livinginthelight said:

I know far too many people who label these jobs "beneath them" and choose not to work at all. Years later, guess where they are? Still not working. While the ones who took the low-paying jobs kept the employment juices flowing and were available to see better opportunities when they came along.

Like my idiot neighbour and her husband.

He was made redundant in 2013 and got a job offer a few weeks later. His wife told him "you can't take an anything job" and because she is nagger / whinger extreme; he didn't take the job.

Three years later and he hasn't had another job offer. He's slowly turning into his wife (as she works from home). 

9 hours ago, CorruptionInc. said:

Like my idiot neighbour and her husband.

He was made redundant in 2013 and got a job offer a few weeks later. His wife told him "you can't take an anything job" and because she is nagger / whinger extreme; he didn't take the job.

Three years later and he hasn't had another job offer. He's slowly turning into his wife (as she works from home). 

A guy I knew from college had this problem. He got a degree in poli sci, which is completely legit, but he acted like he'd be the next Josh Lyman the instant he graduated. Admin/entry-level jobs were "beneath" him. He spent about a year and a half unemployed and mooching off of his parents and his undergrad-at-the-time girlfriend (my housemate). Finally he caved and got an entry-level job through a friend. It paid OK money, not great, but when it came time for him to go apartment hunting with his girlfriend (who was making more than he was and had a very good, prestigious job, but still, she wasn't rolling in dough), he was a total Negative Nancy about every single apartment and wanted something far out of their realistic price range.

Now they've moved somewhere cheaper than NYC, she's working on her MD/PhD, lord only knows what he's doing. Why such a smart, ambitious girl is dating such a lump is beyond me.

On 2/19/2016 at 6:39 PM, Chickenbutt said:

@DuggarsTheEndIsNearI hate to sound stupid, but can you explain the difference between a nanny, babysitter, and childcare giver? Is is qualifications? Time spent with the kids? Live in or live out? Thank you.

So this varies hugely on region and also the specific family. I am a Mother's Helper which is live in help for the mother that could be child care or cleaning or cooking or errands or anything she asks, I am also unpaid sense I had no prior experience. My friend is called a babysitter, she lives out and helps several different families on a scheduled bases for an hourly pay + bonus. Nanny's are generally contracted household help that can be live in or live out. Child Care Provider is normally a preschool/daycare/YMCA/anything along those lines employee whose sole duty is child care. There are more terms such as Au Pair, Household manager and family care giver that are all in the Child Care Industry. What requirements each title needs are completely up to the parents, agency, business or who ever manages hiring. A college degree generally isn't necessary but makes you more desirable and makes you more money. Typically the most important thing is hands on experience and enthusiasm. If you speak English you can get hired with very few questions asked in many non English speaking countries. Child Care jobs are actually pretty easy to land but are hugely demanding. 

6 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

A guy I knew from college had this problem. He got a degree in poli sci, which is completely legit, but he acted like he'd be the next Josh Lyman the instant he graduated. Admin/entry-level jobs were "beneath" him. He spent about a year and a half unemployed and mooching off of his parents and his undergrad-at-the-time girlfriend (my housemate). Finally he caved and got an entry-level job through a friend. It paid OK money, not great, but when it came time for him to go apartment hunting with his girlfriend (who was making more than he was and had a very good, prestigious job, but still, she wasn't rolling in dough), he was a total Negative Nancy about every single apartment and wanted something far out of their realistic price range.

Now they've moved somewhere cheaper than NYC, she's working on her MD/PhD, lord only knows what he's doing. Why such a smart, ambitious girl is dating such a lump is beyond me.

I think we all know folks who insist that certain jobs or work are beneath them and that a great opportunity that is worthy of them is just around the corner.  Except it isn't going to be if you are not making efforts to get there.   Work is work and even if you have to take something that is lower paying and less desirable to make ends meet, you are still demonstrating that you are doing something.  

And then there's the opposite end, when people deride you for taking something that is "not using your degree" or some such nonsense.  Warning: rant ahead.

When I got out of college, it was right in the middle of a deep recession. It was 10% unemployment in my state that very month. No one was hiring, much less new graduates and that was across all fields, my cousin who graduated the same day as I did had just as much trouble with his computer science degree as I did with my liberal arts degree.  Luckily both of us had retail jobs while in college that we stayed on while looking for something else.   I was lucky I was able to upgrade from part time to full time at my retail job thereby allowing me to get health insurance since I was no longer covered under my parent's insurance.   It wasn't ideal but I was working, some money was coming in and it did actually serve me well in showing a consistent work history when better opportunities came up later.  

Still it did not deter the hand wringing I would get from other people about how it awful it was I was still working retail, that I wasn't "using my degree" (a phrase I grew to fervently hate) and when was I finally going to something with it.  And this was just a few months out of college.   In the middle of a recession.  As if there wasn't some great, wonderful opportunity waiting for you right out of the gate, then you are doomed to be a slacker or something.   

I really hate it when people do this.  Rant over.

1 hour ago, nokidsmom said:

I think we all know folks who insist that certain jobs or work are beneath them and that a great opportunity that is worthy of them is just around the corner.  Except it isn't going to be if you are not making efforts to get there.   Work is work and even if you have to take something that is lower paying and less desirable to make ends meet, you are still demonstrating that you are doing something.  

And then there's the opposite end, when people deride you for taking something that is "not using your degree" or some such nonsense.  Warning: rant ahead.

When I got out of college, it was right in the middle of a deep recession. It was 10% unemployment in my state that very month. No one was hiring, much less new graduates and that was across all fields, my cousin who graduated the same day as I did had just as much trouble with his computer science degree as I did with my liberal arts degree.  Luckily both of us had retail jobs while in college that we stayed on while looking for something else.   I was lucky I was able to upgrade from part time to full time at my retail job thereby allowing me to get health insurance since I was no longer covered under my parent's insurance.   It wasn't ideal but I was working, some money was coming in and it did actually serve me well in showing a consistent work history when better opportunities came up later.  

Still it did not deter the hand wringing I would get from other people about how it awful it was I was still working retail, that I wasn't "using my degree" (a phrase I grew to fervently hate) and when was I finally going to something with it.  And this was just a few months out of college.   In the middle of a recession.  As if there wasn't some great, wonderful opportunity waiting for you right out of the gate, then you are doomed to be a slacker or something.   

I really hate it when people do this.  Rant over.

I FEEL you. I graduated in 2009 with a double major in journalism and mass communication and history. A journalism degree, right at the same time the Chicago Tribune was declaring bankruptcy. Awesome. I still remember one of my upper-level classes I took senior year in my J-school. There were a lot of middle-aged grad students in the class. As the economy was tanking, the class turned into more of a therapy session for all of us. The 40 year olds looked at the 22 year olds with envy. They told us at the time it's better to be young, single and not have a family with the lack of jobs out there. Go find some entry level job. Half the class was freaking out because they were middle-aged, trying to find a job in the field AND support a family. Lesson learned: Take what you can get. Build up that resume with what you can. Ahhhh journalism school therapy sessions. Those were the days.

All of this talk about taking jobs "beneath" themselves reminds me of a kid movie: "Kit Kittredge: An American Girl".

If you want to discuss taking care of a family during hard times in a "light" way with your kids, watch that movie. Kit is a depression area kid and her mom has to take in boarders as houses are foreclosing all over the place. Dad has left for the big city to find work. In one scene a boy is embarrassed that his once big shot dad is now working for the city sweeping up trash. Dad tries to say "Hi" and his son acts like he doesn't know his dad. The son's friend has a dad that won't take any job beneath his status and the kid's attitude shows it. The kids find some vagabonds and they kids find out that several of these people are honest hard working folks, they just have lost everything and the camp helps everyone out.

I wish I could take an internship or a cut in pay to get out of my current situation but the family bills say otherwise. I will graduate with my master's in April and I want to get out of government work and get into private industry and I am having issues getting interviews. Very frustrating.

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived