IGNORED

Josiah Duggar Part 4

happy atheist

1 hour ago, DuggarWatch said:

There is a HUGE difference between working a part-time job while still in high school (or college or some kind of tech school) and working your first serious job after your school days are finished.

So you are still asserting that  18 year old Marjorie is a "failure" because she is working at a minimum wage job?

Bless your heart.

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the eight months between when I finished college in December and started law school in August, I worked a part time job. Why? That was all I could get. That was my first serious job that was not school related. I am pretty sure I wasn't a failure. My friend graduated from an Ivy League school with an engineering degree. She had to work a part-time customer service call center job for more than a year before she could find full-time employment in her field. Not a failure.

An 18 year-old that grew up in a movement where women are oppressed in the name of God should be commended for getting any job that gives her a bit of work experience, exposure to the world and independence. Unless an 18 year-old is in prison or routinely getting into trouble, I have a hard time automatically calling them a failure. They are just getting started and should be encouraged to take tentative steps out into the world. 

Anyone out there working an honest job has my respect. We all have different abilities. Not everyone can go to college (though I wish Marjorie could). Go Marjorie, may this be the beginning of a great life.

At least Marjorie is out in the world earning money and being exposed to many different types of people. Josiah is holed up in a fundie bubble selling drones. His older brother Joe from what I have read on here is working on obtaining a CDL. A skill separate from already established Duggar business. I wonder why he has been able to pursue be it limited fundie approved options for further skill and education development. Seems, JD and him have figured out how to make the system workb for them. Meanwhile, Josiah doesn't b seem to have anything exciting in the near future.

There is absolutely no shame in doing honest work, even if it isn't glamorous or high-paying, no matter what your age, your education or your station in life. The shame is being able to work, but refusing to do work you believe is beneath you and grifting or living off of others instead. 

18 minutes ago, infooverload said:

At least Marjorie is out in the world earning money and being exposed to many different types of people. Josiah is holed up in a fundie bubble selling drones. His older brother Joe from what I have read on here is working on obtaining a CDL. A skill separate from already established Duggar business. I wonder why he has been able to pursue be it limited fundie approved options for further skill and education development. Seems, JD and him have figured out how to make the system workb for them. Meanwhile, Josiah doesn't b seem to have anything exciting in the near future.

The corporate culture of CFA may be  evangelical and conservative, but the people who work in the restaurants themselves are a little bit of everyone, including LGBT people. Working at CFA may help to bring Marjorie out of her fundie bubble.

Oh, definitely. The exposure to people outside her cult is as important to her development as actually experiencing real work. Realizing the world isn't full of Evil People trying to corrupt your soul, but is instead full of people just living their lives, even if their lives are different than yours, is huge in terms of getting past just believing what your parents, pastor, etc. told you to believe. Many people do it via college, but working wth and befriending The Other works, too.

Good for her for having a job, but I still would not like to see her in a courtship with Josiah again. They were very awkward with each other and Marjorie seemed to have too much of an overbearing energy, whereas Josiah seemed too sensitive for her. She would have depleted him.

I think he needs someone who is strong but definately more calm und understanding. It would really break my heart a little for Josiah if they are together again...

I hope Marjorie working will inspire the Duggar kids to do something similar, since she still seems to interact with them.

So Marjorie is working a fast food job, I say good for her.  Will give her exposure to other people, job experience and some money to call her own.   Not a failure by any means. 

Who knows what her expectations were when she was courting Josiah.   There's all this speculation that she wanted in on the Duggar fame and money, that she was hungry for the limelight, planned to marry early, get pregnant and kick back.  Really, I think it simply was a courtship, just has if they had dated and it didn't work out for whatever reason.  Just like normal teenagers.  

Maybe it was the scandals, maybe not, maybe a combination with other things.  In any case, I feel that girl dodged a bullet.   Not Josiah's fault which might seem a bit unfair but given the messed up family dynamic, I think anyone marrying into that family is making a deal with the devil.

7 hours ago, Hera said:

There is absolutely no shame in doing honest work, even if it isn't glamorous or high-paying, no matter what your age, your education or your station in life. The shame is being able to work, but refusing to do work you believe is beneath you and grifting or living off of others instead. 

Thank you. I'm 28, with a Bachelor's and a Graduate Diploma and the only jobs I can find are part-time customer service so I still live with my parents. Nowadays finding a job is so hard you take what you can get. I feel like a failure stuck in jobs that a well trained monkey can do but unfortunately my need for a job trumps my pride. 

19 hours ago, HereticHick said:

So you are still asserting that  18 year old Marjorie is a "failure" because she is working at a minimum wage job?

Bless your heart.

Agreed that there is nothing at all wrong with working a minimum wage job. And she could also be pursuing her writing while working there. I worked at a Starbucks while I was getting my masters degree. If people weren't following me around seeing me go to school everyday, they would have thought I was just working at Starbucks (which, again, is totally fine to do!). I give Marge major props for having a real job at a real company. If she is half as outgoing as she seemed, she probably has a great future in a costumer service type job. 

I feel like I am a failure too. I work at fast food and live in a shifty apartment. I went back to school but am not doing well. It's frustrating.

In any case, as a first time job, especially when one is only 18, fast food is quite normal. Also normal to still live your parents at 18-19ish. Most people can't move out on their 18th birthday.

Eta: not saying it's terrible to live with them after 20 sithe

12 hours ago, Alye said:

Thank you. I'm 28, with a Bachelor's and a Graduate Diploma and the only jobs I can find are part-time customer service so I still live with my parents. Nowadays finding a job is so hard you take what you can get. I feel like a failure stuck in jobs that a well trained monkey can do but unfortunately my need for a job trumps my pride. 

I'm 29 and I have been without any kind of reliable employment since June. I completely feel your pain.

I've just been turned down for the I don't even know what numbered job in my field I've applied to in the last year and a half. Definitely feeling the failure now.

Got my first job at KFC at 16, it helped pay my way through uni, taught me to budget etc. as my parents were not in a position to help.

this is a good thing for Marjorie as she will have her own money and bank account, something I am sure she would not have had as a Duggar.  It will also teach her job and life skills and expose her to a variety of people.  Good for her.

to those of you struggling to get a job in your chosen profession, good luck.  My husband is an engineer in his 50's and is still unemployed on a semi regular basis.  We are just lucky I have a permanent job.

The job market is tough for everyone.  I feel so sorry for kids coming out of college loaded down with debt and unable to find work that allows them to repay student loans.  Some days I hate my job with the heat of 1000 suns,  but I'm thankful to have it.  

33 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

I've just been turned down for the I don't even know what numbered job in my field I've applied to in the last year and a half. Definitely feeling the failure now.

Been there. Ended up having to take a volunteering job in my field to beef up my resume.

2 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Been there. Ended up having to take a volunteering job in my field to beef up my resume.

I've started looking into that for myself. 

What kind of job is an 18 year old with no experience supposed to get? My parents refused to pay for anything for us that wasn't a necessity so if I wanted a car, phone, nicer clothes than I had to work for them. My first job was bagging groceries at 16, moved up to retail, then a video store, then a call center, then a bank, then a representative for a healthcare organization to finally something in my career as a medical biller/coder. You've got to start somewhere.

I had a master's degree, and had to work in a craft store for a while (Not Hobby Lobby). Minimum wage and had to clean toilets. You do what you have to.

It's simultaneously both comforting and depressing to know I'm not the only one with a graduate degree struggling to get a job in my field.

1 hour ago, TuringMachine said:

If it makes you feel any better, I've been a nanny for 11 years. I've applied to HUNDREDS of nanny jobs since May. I haven't secured more than babysitting gigs. And every time I think I've got a job, the family ghosts me. EVERY FUCKING TIME. I had one family. It looked like it was perfect. They were super excited, I was super excited, their kids made me cards telling me how much they loved me, etc. The mom was in the middle of scheduling the very last trial run with me and she just stopped responding. Completely. Wont answer her phone, text messages, email.... The family could have all died for all I know.

25 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

@DuggarsTheEndIsNearI hate to sound stupid, but can you explain the difference between a nanny, babysitter, and childcare giver? Is is qualifications? Time spent with the kids? Live in or live out? Thank you.

Babysitter is someone who just watches a child. Sometimes babysitters are given "chores," but it's typically making sure toys are cleaned up, helping with homework as needed, maybe making a meal. Babysitters are also usually only there 1-3 times a week. Some people refer to nannies as babysitters because they don't want to sound pretentious or like they don't take care of their kids, but there is a real difference between the two.

Nanny (or manny for the men) is someone who takes care of the child, kind of along the lines of a third parent. And, may or may not include housework of any scope (I've done everything from nothing to acting as the household manager (doing housework of all kinds as needed, coordinating services of anyone else hired to work on the premises, and making sure the chauffeur was there when he was supposed to be) of a 7000 sq ft house on a 2 acre lot). Nannies are involved with school work of all kinds, acting as a line of communication between teachers and parents when applicable, scheduling playdates, managing the children's activities, etc. Basically, anything a parent would do, a nanny does. Nannies may also travel with the families or stay with the children while the parents travel (I've done both).

Au pairs are somewhere between a nanny and a babysitter. They're typically from other countries and typically attending classes in the country where they're working. It's typically done as a cultural exchange, and therefore are really cheap labor. They live in your house (kind of like a live in nanny, but very different) and maybe get an allowance of $100-200 a month. They may or may not have any experience with children or childcare, and may or may not even like children or childcare. Most au pairs are hired to take care of school aged children and will attend school at the same time as the children, some are hired for babies and toddlers. Some au pairs are really, genuinely good people with amazing childcare skills. Almost all the ones I've met are absolutely horrible. I would strongly advise anyone to stay away from au pairs. You can hire a nanny from another country, that's fine. Just don't go with an au pair unless said au pair comes with a lot of recommendations and has a solid history of childcare.

A baby nurse is almost always a certified nurse, though some people will accept those who have a lot of infant experience in place of a nurse, who provides overnight care for a newborn baby.

A childcare provider is anyone who provides any amount of care to any child.

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived