IGNORED

Josiah Duggar Part 4

happy atheist

2 hours ago, vaticanmember said:

So basically the perfect man?

So all it takes for a man to be perfect is to love and care for his family, be an egalitarian and do a few chores? Damn.

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think with the show coming back Marjorie will be back in the picture. I am sure she will quit her job if she hasn't already. They need more storylines than look at cute baby, watch them buy used and save the difference shopping for baby clothes and see how the new mother will cope with hosting a dinner party for her entire family while taking care of baby. Oh wait, all those storylines have been done before and will be done again. Now we can pretend that Josiah and Majorie should be courting, getting married and having babies with no jobs or education. We can pretend that this wouldn't be illogical in the normal world. Yeah, that makes total Duggar sense. 

On 25 February 2016 at 0:27 PM, tumblr said:

I chose to work for free to get the experience + room and board. I have been doing this for about 6 months now and have started applying for other jobs in the field. She does occasionally give me money that she calls a bonus I just have no set salary or payday or the like. I definitely wouldn't do it forever but I am pretty young and needed a kind boss who would put up with my complete inexperience. 

Working for free or for very, very little money seems to be the norm for private childcare right now honestly. I have several friends who have taken similar gigs because if you aren't lucky enough to have had babysitting or similar experience they are weary of you. Some people definitely abuse this and I hate that it is so normally right now but it is what it is. 

Not only not legal, but not the norm, either. I have lived in several states with kids and babysat and never ever, even as a 13 yr old in the 80s been unpaid. Your boss is exploiting you instead of paying someone else. I get that you're in a different part of the country (going rate here is $15-20 per hour), but if she paid you $10 an hour would it really all go on rent and transport and food?

When I hire a babysitter I am mostly concerned with temperament, judgement and personality, not experience. If you are a responsible person who is trustworthy and sensible, plus you like kids you should be able to easily get a job. Get some letters from school teachers and family friends talking about your temperament and good judgement and get yourself a paying job.

A mother's helper is generally not left unsupervised. An au pair is foreign, under a special visa and lives in, but only works part time while they study part time.

3 hours ago, socalrules said:

I think with the show coming back Marjorie will be back in the picture. 

If this does happen, it will be clear that Majorie is just a fame-hungry ignorant idiot.

On 2/27/2016 at 3:40 PM, bashfulpixie said:

I'm in the same crappy boat too.  Frustrating as hell and has done quite a number on my self-esteem.  But I know if I keep at it I'll find something eventually

Totally in the same boat. My self-esteem is down the shitter too. FB makes it even worse. Everyone I know is posting about babies and houses and I'm like maybe I shouldn't go to a concert.

On Sunday, February 28, 2016 at 11:50 AM, Mela99 said:

Personally I think they're going to push him to win Marjie back. I could see them trying to convince her and her parents that God has forgiven Smuggy and now they're back on TV!!! 

That's a good point. He'll win her little attention starved self back. Then they can do jazz hands when they start courting.

On February 27, 2016 at 1:19 PM, OyToTheVey said:

Yup I have 2 Bachelors and a Masters, still living with my parents and working for the family business. I can't find a full time job to save my life! It feels like shit but what can you do? 

Yup, similar situation over here. It sucks and I really feel like a failure at times, especially when I see former classmates posting about promotions and new jobs.

I don't think American Girl dolls are very overpriced, despite my comment.  They are really well made, and the accessories are high quality, as well.  They are just very expensive.  Kids are used to cheap, disposable toys.  These are not in that category.  My daughter has two of them, along with some of their accessories.  One of her dolls is a girl from the 70s with Marcia Brady hair, bell bottoms and a cool egg chair.  I love her!  

A friend of  mine's mom saved up for a super long time (single mom) to get her an American Girl doll.

My friend had to follow some requirements though. She had to read every book at the library about the girl that she chose and then read all the care information as well. Plus do some things at school like she couldn't miss a homework assignment and whatnot. Her mom wanted to make sure that she was going to be responsible and also have an emotional connection to the doll beforehand and hopefully that would translate into taking care of it. She didn't want to give her a $100 doll that she was going to wreck in a year. When I met her in college, she still had all of her stuff all packed up at home and she said she remembers ironing her doll's clothes before they went to special functions, so I guess it worked!

3 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

I don't think American Girl dolls are very overpriced, despite my comment.  They are really well made, and the accessories are high quality, as well.  They are just very expensive.  Kids are used to cheap, disposable toys.  These are not in that category.  My daughter has two of them, along with some of their accessories.  One of her dolls is a girl from the 70s with Marcia Brady hair, bell bottoms and a cool egg chair.  I love her!  

My sister and I collected them all at the time and they are all neatly boxed in the attic for any future children I may have. The catalog still comes and every time they introduce a new girl I always am so tempted to get her. Some of them have been retired and are now also collectors items, but they were certainly played with and well loved. We were blessed with an Aunt who bought them for Christmas, so I didn't pay, but I will say they were worth every penny and then some. 

I bought myself a Molly when it seemed we'd never have a girl. Four of Four came with a Samantha and promptly left her lying on the basement floor. She also tried to give Samantha to the Goodwill. Now Samantha lives in my closet with Molly until such time as Four might want to have her for her own child.

I have a Bachelor's degree and I'm a nanny. It was all I could find. I love kids and I'm "good" at being a nanny but I need to make more money for sure!  Of course, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a nanny!  Having a degree certainly helped me get the position I have now (but there are plenty of excellent nannies without degrees- this family just liked that I had one I guess).  If it paid more I would be happier but man those student loans are tough to pay in my income!!

On 2/29/2016 at 1:36 AM, OyToTheVey said:

Totally in the same boat. My self-esteem is down the shitter too. FB makes it even worse. Everyone I know is posting about babies and houses and I'm like maybe I shouldn't go to a concert.

Please do not feel bad about what people post on facebook. It's often hyped up and a facade sort of deal.

I'm positive you're a great person just as you are - have faith in yourself because you are awesome!

On 2/21/2016 at 7:28 AM, InThePrayerCloset said:

Completely agree that the vast majority of nannies do not have degrees, though some will have degrees/trade training in early childhood education. I thought it'd also be worth mentioning the British institution, Norland College. They have been educating upper class nannies for more than a century, and are well regarded internationally (see http://www.norland.co.uk) its one of the very few degrees for nannies internationally, and are incredibly sought after by the royal family, celebrities, and world leaders. Emirates airlines "sky nannies" are all trained by Norland... But again, very much the exception rather than the rule!

If that's the school I think it is, it's ridiculously expensive. I looked into getting a degree through them a few years ago and it was something on the order of $100k for tuition. And it wasn't an institution that my college fund would cover, so there wasn't any way of me even pretending I could afford to go there.

On 2/28/2016 at 10:13 PM, ClaraOswin said:

iI was in a group (that I've sort of separated myself from lately)...and one of the moms was talking about getting a tablet for her 2 year old at Christmas. It was a bit shocking to me, honestly. Of course, this was the same lady that laughed when before my son was born, I was asking for children's book suggestions. She said something like, "It will be years before you'll need those! LOL!"  Um...no, lady. I started reading to my son when he was a few days old. 

That is sad,  My evil sister in law is like that lady, long story short when my brother's family moved to where we live 2 years ago his then 1 year old daughter would  look at us like we were nuts when we would try to read to her. They didn't read to her, but me our sister, & our step mom spend a lot of time reading too her and she loves it.  My baby shower gifts are always books, usually Good Night Moon, Where the Wild Things Are and depending on religious leanings, I also get Max Lucado's Just in case you ever wonder, for my atheist friends (both of them) I gave a random book,  But I always give my 3 most favorite books, because I loved reading to my kids, especially bed time stories.  I love reading and I loved reading to my kids, the voices, and the actions we got into our reading. I say read to your babies you , and they will love it. 

My parents read to me about as soon as I could understand. Maybe sooner. I spoke my first original, complete, grammatically correct sentence at the ripe old age of 18 months.

My poor mother... So shocked. She had been in a hurry to do something and I think the shock caused her to miss something important. Oh well, she made me drop my precious rocks.

On February 25, 2016 at 6:20 PM, Playagirl said:

God, I remember cabbage patch kids. I worked in a toy store between the end of high school and the start of college, right in the middle of that craze. It was completely insane. We'd get a shipment and they'd be gone within a couple of hours. If someone had one on backorder, when it came in we'd have to cover it up and sneak it to the waiting customer at the cash register so there wouldn't be a stampede  with people grabbing for it. And those things were butt-ugly!!!

Good grief! :)

Didn't Gothard say that Cabbage Patch Kids dolls were satanic or something?

I also remember reading that he claimed troll dolls can cause difficult births or miscarriages.

I would post links but it's late and IDK how my new phone works. ;) If you google that stuff it pops right up.

That's right, Bill.  Dolls are the real danger.  You're fine.  ;p

On March 2, 2016 at 5:37 PM, CorruptionInc. said:

Please do not feel bad about what people post on facebook. It's often hyped up and a facade sort of deal.

I'm positive you're a great person just as you are - have faith in yourself because you are awesome!

Yes! :)

On 2/25/2016 at 2:49 AM, Fundie Bunny said:

Ugh, so glad I was a barbie kid. Much less expensive

But so much less educational! And harmful in other ways :( They do have new plus size, petite and tall Barbies though.

Dang, just reread this thread and I'm fascinated by all the "first relationship" stories, and more than a bit envious! I love my husband, but we both have crazy dating pasts. Lots and lots and lots and LOTS of frogs.

5 hours ago, SweetFellowshipper said:

But so much less educational! And harmful in other ways :( They do have new plus size, petite and tall Barbies though.

I really don't think it was that Bad. I turned out okay, after all. Mostly because I didn't see her as a role model, she was just a doll with pretty dresses. But now that I remember, I used to playa really weird games with her. Like her screwing around and not knowning who was the father of her child... Oh god, why did my mom let me watch bad venezuelan soap operas? 

I'm reading through this thread and everyone's stories of getting degrees and being unemployed and I'm so scared honestly. I'm in university working towards a degree in social work. And people like to pat me on the head and say, "Oh at least you'll have a job!" but I know social workers who got their Master's at Columbia who are working CPS case management for near minimum wage an hour. That doesn't exactly inspire hope. The one lucrative field in social work is hospice and that's my number 1 choice for work, but those hospice jobs fill up fast. I'm already in debt and I'm only in my second semester of freshman year and I'm overwhelmed. 

Like I've been taught my whole life if I just work really hard and apply myself, things will work in my favor. But I know people who worked their asses off for degrees that are seen as traditionally secure (like nursing degrees) only to end up unemployed after graduation.

What a mess. ):

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived