IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Part 8: They Call Him Choo Choo?

happy atheist

If this is "a dangerous place full of gangs," Derrick is just asking to get mugged if he is carrying around his camera.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

If this is "a dangerous place full of gangs," Derrick is just asking to get mugged if he is carrying around his camera.

Just a dumb tourist with no thought to his own safety or that of his family. Had such high hopes for Derrick. He is just another grafter wrapped in a different package.

37 minutes ago, Marissap said:

Can you post the other pic?  I'm not his friend on inst. I want to see the age of izzy in both. 

It's this ^ one.

Then there's this ^ one, which I think was taken on the SOS campus (in El Salvador, iirc) posted another hour later.

So my only knowledge of ages is based on my own kids and nephews but I think the one with the flag in the background is when izzy is a couple months younger. So the stache is probably still going strong!

6 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Sorry, I was being sarcastic, I just can't believe that they are saving Catholics. Who are indeed full-fledged Christians.  As I truly realize what they are doing, I am more and more just grossed out. And saw something in the news, or in something I read, about violence in that area, and I just can't believe it.

Guess I have a reality problem. They are there.

Ah!  You fooled me.  Your reference to pictures totally dulled my "parody meter."  :kitty-wink:

Yeah, I think it is hilarious that they want to convert Catholics to Christianity, but to be fair, many of the people groups like these approach are only "nominal" Catholics who may have been turned off by their prior experience of religion either because they question the superstitions of those around them or because they were superstitious and found out their "deal" with the Saint they were praying to didn't work.

Catholicism does not endorse the worship of statues but a lot of people who identify as Catholics do engage in superstitious behavior.  Often the saints took the place of pagan gods worshipped in pre-Columbian days, and this blend of paganism is still there.  It doesn't bother me because I see the gods/saints as a metaphor for something else, but literalists can get freaked out.

49 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Is it wrong that I cant wait for Izzy to start grabbing for those earrings?

It is very wrong, probably a sin. Repent, Oh Buzzard.....

3 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Ah!  You fooled me.  Your reference to pictures totally dulled my "parody meter."  :kitty-wink:

Yeah, I think it is hilarious that they want to convert Catholics to Christianity, but to be fair, many of the people groups like these approach are only "nominal" Catholics who may have been turned off by their prior experience of religion either because they question the superstitions of those around them or because they were superstitious and found out their "deal" with the Saint they were praying to didn't work.

Catholicism does not endorse the worship of statues but a lot of people who identify as Catholics do engage in superstitious behavior.  Often the saints took the place of pagan gods worshipped in pre-Columbian days, and this blend of paganism is still there.  It doesn't bother me because I see the gods/saints as a metaphor for something else, but literalists can get freaked out.

I was raised RC and left for totally unrelated reasons with regard to saints. I thought of them as "the perfect ones", while I, a sinner, was faced with multitudinous ways in which I would be sent to hell. Think, "Bacon on Friday". And then the molestation scandal broke my heart, although I did know about it, but had not faced it. And other things. 

I just find it unbelievable that they are going down there to foist their religion on people who already have a religion, when they are not offering medical care, or some other tangible help that might be needed. And if it is dangerous, what about their sweet Izzy. At this state, I am just disgusted. And seeing now what their cult has wrought with regard to the M'kids, well, there ya go. 

Now off for pecan pie after a nice ham  dinner, with carrot soufflé which is delicious you betcha. 

The number #1 reason they are in Central America is because they are hiding out  and killing time.

Jill is filled with shame over the revelation of the molestation, the adultery and the loss of the show.

The jobless Derick does not know what to do.

The end.

But joblessDerick could get a job somewhere!! I think that they are just zealots. Stealing pants from Catholic women. Doing whatever. I think it is so strange. I guess I have said that more than once. 

23 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

But joblessDerick could get a job somewhere!! I think that they are just zealots. Stealing pants from Catholic women. Doing whatever. I think it is so strange. I guess I have said that more than once. 

Nah, not when he has a whiny ass wife at home who has her claws tightly around his neck, and who is  controlled by her crazy father, even from an entirely different country.

Did anyone read their December blog post?

My favorite part was that Michelle made them a homemade Christmas banner and sent it to them. First how much did it cost to ship? I haven't seen Michelle make anything. I thought that it was Jana who made the banners for Christmas. I personally rather have something else for Christmas.

However, looking up on the wall next to me in our house, I read the words “Alegria Para El Mundo” on a homemade Christmas banner that Jill’s mom made and sent down to us..

They admit that they are in Guatemala. Finally!! Please we already knew. Now if you just confirm the town.

We’ve been in Guatemala for language school, but were blessed to be able to connect with some Americans for an unexpectedly festive Thanksgiving Day after 4 hours at the Spanish school in the morning.

http://www.dillardfamily.com/blog?ID=149db8a1-c402-451c-86e1-296f3d8858f1

tumblr_nzvrb6Lpcb1tkvud8o3_400.jpg

What does the 4th stocking say? I cannot read it.

They have a friend named Rachel visiting them. I wonder about this Rachel. How do they know her? Did she travel by herself? She is there for the holidays. So many questions.

No comments on the blog post yet. The comments are the best part.

5 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

It is very wrong, probably a sin. Repent, Oh Buzzard.....

I was raised RC and left for totally unrelated reasons with regard to saints. I thought of them as "the perfect ones", while I, a sinner, was faced with multitudinous ways in which I would be sent to hell. Think, "Bacon on Friday". And then the molestation scandal broke my heart, although I did know about it, but had not faced it. And other things. 

I just find it unbelievable that they are going down there to foist their religion on people who already have a religion, when they are not offering medical care, or some other tangible help that might be needed. And if it is dangerous, what about their sweet Izzy. At this state, I am just disgusted. And seeing now what their cult has wrought with regard to the M'kids, well, there ya go. 

Now off for pecan pie after a nice ham  dinner, with carrot soufflé which is delicious you betcha. 

I doubt very much that anything the Dillards do is going to convert anyone.  And, like you, I find it both absurd and offensive that the full extent of their mission seems to be to tell folks of another culture  that they are worshipping wrong.  

9 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

I doubt very much that anything the Dillards do is going to convert anyone.  And, like you, I find it both absurd and offensive that the full extent of their mission seems to be to tell folks of another culture  that they are worshipping wrong.  

I'm sure you are right, at least I hope so....they won't convert anyone. So, the "New Converts" can look forward to having  a "headship", having, as a woman, no educational goals, the allowance of sibling molestation and the fact that if your husband "misbehaves" it will always be your fault as you must always be "available". 

Wow, Merry Christmas new converts.

Sorry, I am a bit sarcastic it would seem. I mean even the Dalai Lama discourages people from "converting" to Buddhism, but says, "well, if you REALLY think it would help..." Sigh. I am ranting and it is Christmas.

"Long ago, in a Galilee far, far away............"

16 hours ago, accountingstar said:

Did anyone read their December blog post?

<snip>.

They admit that they are in Guatemala. Finally!! Please we already knew. Now if you just confirm the town.

http://www.dillardfamily.com/blog?ID=149db8a1-c402-451c-86e1

Thanks for posting.  This is the  part that caught my eye:

... hosted our Spanish teachers in our home for more meals and are thankful for the close relationship we have with them and their families. I feel like the most important thing we’ve been able to share with them is how important it is to search the Bible for what God says and to be obedient to Him.

As Christmas Day is nearly upon us, we’ve taken advantage of numerous opportunities in multiple venues to share the hope of the Gospel with those we are ministering to. I am glad that we will always be able to look back on our first Christmas with our son, Israel, and remember the goodness of the Lord toward our family as we spent the season together in Central America.

It definitely sounds as if they are mainly "ministering to," the Spanish teachers and their families (and maybe also the guy at the grocery store and the cleaning lady.   Way to go!

I imagine this is a new approach to mission work: go for language lessons and try to convert the teacher.  :shaking head:

So it must be time for them to leave language school, no?  Derick said one month and it has been more than that.  How will the proselytize if they can no longer proselytize to their teachers?  Maybe Jill can hire a cook, a nanny, and a housecleaner and try to convert them.

On 12/1/2015 at 4:40 PM, elliha said:

On the issue of Jehovah's Witnesses, my mother had one who would come to visit her and they would discuss what was in their magazines and the bible and I think it turned into a friendship. The woman who visited my mother probably had my mom as the only person she could talk to about some things as everyone else she knew was JW. She admitted to my mom she was glad that in our country a child will not be without a blood transfusion even if the parents are JW, she said "I am glad god has taken this out of my hands should something happen to [daughter]". When the daughter later left the faith she could talk about it to my mother too. When my mother died she sent a poem to be read at the funeral which seemed to suggest that she believed my mother would be with her in paradise on earth after Harmageddon which is kind of interesting. I think that they affected each other more than anyone would expect and my mother was very fond of her as well. 

My mom has a similar, if not quite that friendly, relationship with the Jehovah's Witnesses.  The original lady has stopped coming by, but other people that she knows from teaching them as children now stop by.  That's where I learned that even if I don't intend to buy whatever someone is selling, it's polite to answer and acknowledge them.  

I am glad that we will always be able to look back on our first Christmas with our son, Israel, and remember the goodness of the Lord toward our family as we spent the season together in Central America.

I may just be reading too much into things, but the way this is worded sounds like the Dillards aren't planning to be in Central America for very long. To me it reads more like "We're always going to remember the fun we had in Guatemala" rather than "We celebrated the first of many Christmases in the country where we've made our new home." I can't say I'm surprised, since their commitment level to... basically anything besides Jill having babies... has never seemed particularly high, but I do wish they appeared to be taking this a little more seriously.

On 12/24/2015 at 2:43 PM, EmCatlyn said:

...Catholicism does not endorse the worship of statues but a lot of people who identify as Catholics do engage in superstitious behavior.  Often the saints took the place of pagan gods worshipped in pre-Columbian days, and this blend of paganism is still there.  It doesn't bother me because I see the gods/saints as a metaphor for something else, but literalists can get freaked out.

Um, I think that a lot of people in general engage in superstitious behavior.  Ever cross your fingers for good luck?  Know anyone who has a "lucky shirt", or hear the admonition not to walk underneath a ladder, don't break a mirror, "step on a crack and break your mother's back."  I'd say superstition has been around almost as long as humans, and is part of human nature and not necessarily tied to religious beliefs.

46 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

Um, I think that a lot of people in general engage in superstitious behavior.  Ever cross your fingers for good luck?  Know anyone who has a "lucky shirt", or hear the admonition not to walk underneath a ladder, don't break a mirror, "step on a crack and break your mother's back."  I'd say superstition has been around almost as long as humans, and is part of human nature and not necessarily tied to religious beliefs.

I agree.  The thing is that Fundies don't recognize their own superstitious behavior as such, but are very quick to identify superstition in the actions of others.  Therefore, they get bent out of shape about how un-Biblical it is to "worship" saints or images, and they accuse all Catholics of "superstition" and worshipping images, without regard for what the RC Church actually teaches.

From the Dillards' perspective, every example of superstition among the people they meet in Central America is proof that these people are not really Christians.  

My aunt and cousin just got back from a charity trip in Niquaragua. My aunt says they were very lucky to have running water when they were there, even though it was only cold. Many of the people they went on the trip with stayed in houses with dirt floors and no electricity, and obviously no one had wifi. They went down there to help schools distribute and organize school supplies to kids in impoverished villages, and they also helped build houses, they saw a few "touristy" things like rainforests but they definately didn't spend all their time posting selfies on Instagram.

I respect that everyone does charity stuff differently but really? What are Jill and Derrick even doing down there?

14 minutes ago, Pupalup said:

My aunt and cousin just got back from a charity trip in Niquaragua. My aunt says they were very lucky to have running water when they were there, even though it was only cold. Many of the people they went on the trip with stayed in houses with dirt floors and no electricity, and obviously no one had wifi. They went down there to help schools distribute and organize school supplies to kids in impoverished villages, and they also helped build houses, they saw a few "touristy" things like rainforests but they definately didn't spend all their time posting selfies on Instagram.

I respect that everyone does charity stuff differently but really? What are Jill and Derrick even doing down there?

He is taking Spanish classes and she is hiding.

They're on holiday. Plain and simple. They try to hide it, but being Duggars they do a rubbish job of it.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived