IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Part 8: They Call Him Choo Choo?

happy atheist

Just now, fraurosena said:

Funny thing, I've lived in Europe most of my life, but spent 5 years in Sydney as a kid... and I also got NYC, Providence and Yonkers as a result... :happy:

OK that's a bit crazy!! :) Hello from sunny Bondi beach!!

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's an east coast thing? :tw_wink: 

And hello back from Holland, where it is stormy but way too warm for this time of year! 

Just now, fraurosena said:

Maybe it's an east coast thing? :tw_wink: 

And hello back from Holland, where it is stormy but way too warm for this time of year! 

Absolutely! Stormy weather is great for bourbon! I'm jealous!

It was spot on for me....it picked my hometown.   Apparently it was my use of "kitty corner" that sealed the deal.   :my_smile:

9 hours ago, JillyO said:

I actually think "they" is very neat. It doesn't work in German at all, even though we have a neutral third gender singular, "es." "Es" is used to depict things, not people. It would be downright dehumanizing if you tried to use that to avoid saying "he/she" all the time.

I'm a total linguistics nerd and, as such, am immensely enjoying the topic at hand. I just wanted to add that college-educated Derrick always says "Jill and I's xyz," as in "Jill and I's wedding" or "Jill and I's move to Central America." Yes, Derick, because the possesive of "I" is "I's"....... Drives me up the walls!

In English we have the same problem with "it"-- we can't use "it" for people.  This is despite the fact that "it" for babies of unknown sex was perfectly acceptable in British English of the late Victorian/Edwardian period--at least if you judge by novels.  

I don't like "they" because it creates problems with verbs.  For example:  

• Each child is assigned a coat hook, and they are assigned a cubby also.

Or

• The worker who is happy with their job is a better worker.  They are more productive.

The recommended solution in academic writing is to use plural form for everything.  

Personally, I vote for tey, tem,ter,ters as the singular.  :kitty-wink:

On 12/21/2015 at 5:34 PM, Marissap said:

I don't like it. The only times I hear it are from people I would commonly describe as hillbillies.  It just sounds wrong and unintelligent 

My SIL talks like this (also, "she don't" and many double negatives) ....she's not that brights, barely finished HS and is from Cali, so not a southern thing. It makes me completely crazy.

One of my foster kids, aged 16, used to say, "Me and D. don't gots none." Not her fault, she'd been neglected with minimal schooling. Unfortunately, she was pretty stubborn aout learning a different way. 

They can stop vaguely saying that they live in "Central America" now.

Derick posted an insta with the Guatemalan flag flying in the background.

Screen Shot 2015-12-23 at 4.31.45 PM.png

Thank goodness he got rid of the mustache. That was horrendous looking. Jill does not look comfortable wearing Izzy.

I think they are using Central America to help lead to the mystery of where they are and what they are doing. It makes them feel more important than they actually are.

Are there ever any pictures of them actually helping people?

On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 6:04 PM, twinmama said:
On Tuesday, December 22, 2015 at 0:43 AM, TeaGrannie said:

I thought I'd have a little fun with it since I'm Canadian but it gave me northeastern cities which isn't too far off since I'm from Southwestern Ontario originally.

I'm Canadian and originally from Southwestern Ontario too. It gave me Boston and a couple of cities in California.

Not sure what's up with the quotes. I'm trying to quote TeaGrannie but my quote is including twinmama for some reason. Not sure if it's a board issue or my general incompetence with all things computer-related....

On Tuesday, December 22, 2015 at 9:59 PM, MakeItSo said:

According to that quiz I'm from Spokane, WA...which is probably the closest they have to Vancouver haha. 

Did any of you guys take it to see how "accurate" it is?

It was extremely accurate for me even down to the area of the state I grew up in. 

6 hours ago, Valerie3kids said:

Thank goodness he got rid of the mustache. That was horrendous looking. Jill does not look comfortable wearing Izzy.

I think they are using Central America to help lead to the mystery of where they are and what they are doing. It makes them feel more important than they actually are.

Are there ever any pictures of them actually helping people?

Maybe they think identitying the country is too complicated.  Their followers may not realize that there is a real difference between one Spanish-speaking country and the next. To them "Central America" may be a more manageable concept.  :56247957a2c7b_32(17):

As far as helping people, isn't there a picture somewhere of them removing bags of women's pants from a Catholic school.....after all of the people convert to the correct way of repentance and serving Jeebus?

Or, am I mistaken. 

7 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

Maybe they think identitying the country is too complicated.  Their followers may not realize that there is a real difference between one Spanish-speaking country and the next. To them "Central America" may be a more manageable concept.  :56247957a2c7b_32(17):

I think this is probably on the money, actually. It may be that rather than any sort of secrecy, they just think their followers won't know where Guatemala is.

Before I moved back to the States, I almost always told non-local new acquaintances that I lived in "Northern Canada" rather than giving the specific city and/or province. Not because I was trying to be mysterious, but because when I did get more specific, the next question was almost always "Where is that?" Being general just skipped a step in the explanation I was going to have to give either way. People who were familiar with the area would inquire further, and for people who weren't, the general description was usually sufficient information.

I think that when the Dillards were first embarking on their project, they were vague because they weren't sure exactly where they were going to go.

Now, though, it's possible they're trying to be sneaky, but it's at least as likely they think their fanbase is geographically challenged.

Took it again, and it nailed Salt Lake City.  Also got NYC and Rochester.  This time through really felt the pull/push between words learned as a kid and re-learned as I moved. . . .

2 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

As far as helping people, isn't there a picture somewhere of them removing bags of women's pants from a Catholic school.....after all of the people convert to the correct way of repentance and serving Jeebus?

Or, am I mistaken. 

Run that by me again?   The Dillards claim they participated in the conversion of a whole Catholic school?  And their contribution to the conversion was to cart away bags of clothing the new converts aren't supposed to wear?

That sounds like something the Duggars or TLC might dream up, but I have to wonder what the real story could be.

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

I think this is probably on the money, actually. It may be that rather than any sort of secrecy, they just think their followers won't know where Guatemala is.

Before I moved back to the States, I almost always told non-local new acquaintances that I lived in "Northern Canada" rather than giving the specific city and/or province. Not because I was trying to be mysterious, but because when I did get more specific, the next question was almost always "Where is that?" Being general just skipped a step in the explanation I was going to have to give either way. People who were familiar with the area would inquire further, and for people who weren't, the general description was usually sufficient information.

I think that when the Dillards were first embarking on their project, they were vague because they weren't sure exactly where they were going to go.

Now, though, it's possible they're trying to be sneaky, but it's at least as likely they think their fanbase is geographically challenged.

For all that the Duggars will put their laboring women and pooping children on TV, they are often secretive, or at least unnecessarily vague about fairly unimportant things.

9 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Run that by me again?   The Dillards claim they participated in the conversion of a whole Catholic school?  And their contribution to the conversion was to cart away bags of clothing the new converts aren't supposed to wear?

That sounds like something the Duggars or TLC might dream up, but I have to wonder what the real story could be.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic, I just can't believe that they are saving Catholics. Who are indeed full-fledged Christians.  As I truly realize what they are doing, I am more and more just grossed out. And saw something in the news, or in something I read, about violence in that area, and I just can't believe it.

Guess I have a reality problem. They are there.

20 hours ago, WhyNotJulie said:

They can stop vaguely saying that they live in "Central America" now.

Derick posted an insta with the Guatemalan flag flying in the background.

Screen Shot 2015-12-23 at 4.31.45 PM.png

He posted another pic an hour before this one in which he has a beard and shaggy hair, so I suspect at least one of the pictures wasn't posted immediately after it was taken. Of course, he could've had a shave and a haircut between pictures. I tried to judge any weight changes and Israel's age difference between the two pics, but I'm not good at that. 

Is that flag flying at half-staff? If so, does anyone know when or why it did? It might date the picture.

24 minutes ago, halcionne said:

He posted another pic an hour before this one in which he has a beard and shaggy hair, so I suspect at least one of the pictures wasn't posted immediately after it was taken. Of course, he could've had a shave and a haircut between pictures. I tried to judge any weight changes and Israel's age difference between the two pics, but I'm not good at that. 

Is that flag flying at half-staff? If so, does anyone know when or why it did? It might date the picture.

They look like any couple on vacation. Isn't he always carrying a camera? I don't know many missionaries who wander about with a camera on their shoulder. They are working, helping to feed those that need it and trying to improve on the lives of those they are there to help. I just do get that "vibe" from what these two smucks are doing. They are playing. Taking a nice long vacation and calling it a mission. Ridiculous.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived