IGNORED

Colorado with the Moodys

fiery redhead

"The Moodys get wasted at Ten Forward".

"The Moodys learn emotions from Data."

"The Moodys visit a Bajoran religious site and ask everyone where they are going after they die."

"Pa Moody and a holodeck surprise with Orion slave girls."

"The Moodys on Risa on what some might call a 'vacation'."

"We. Are. The. Moodys. Resistance is futile."

And the last part of the new Moody series:

"The Moodys disappear in a wormhole."

I couldn't resist ('cause resistance IS futile) :pb_mrgreen:

Don't forget "It's in the Q", in which Q fails to get a reply to a blog post past Stevehovah Pa Moody, and mayhem ensues!

I, personally, was looking forward to "Summer Nights With the Moodys", in which the Moody parents spend even more time than usual in the bedroom. 

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what were the adventures the Moody family shared in Colorado? I'm guessing hiking a 14er, feeding chipmunks, and canoeing or kayaking, whichever it is that the Maxwells do. Is there anything in the book that the Moodys do that the Maxwells haven't done? Anything at all?

Sarah already announced that she was going to start a new series with a different family.  Instead of being modeled on her siblings and their activities, my bet is that the new family will describe her brothers' children.  "Summer with the Cousins" will have chapters like, Playing with the Aunties, Reading Time with Grandma, A New Cousin, Special Bible Time with Grandpa, and Auntie Sally's Surprise Party. 

At first I read that last title as "Auntie Sally's Surprise Baby."

And then I was really sad because that sounds a lot more interesting but it will never happen...

I have some ideas for her!

Failed Courtships with the Moodys

Death-Wedding with the Moodys, after the wedding you can get

Grandbabies with the Moodys

Summer with the Moodys- A New Generation

Fall with the Moody's- A New Generation

Winter with the Moody's- A New Generation...:pb_lol:

Fixed that second one for you....

Why wasn't Sarah already included in "Aunties time"? Why did having Aunties time at Anna Maries mean that Sarah wouldn't come visit them? Also it looks like those cookies are way to close together on that pan :lol: and that's the biggest jar of sprinkles I have ever seen! 

It seems like publishing the 10 th and final book in a series is a big deal. It's sad that the only people there were family. Our church family is a huge part of our life, any kind of party like that I would have invited our church and family friends. 

To the bolded: why indeeed? Do they take turns being aunties or what?

Also, was Sarah at least mildly annoyed that her brothers were asking her to do this and do that for them, allseemgly silly things that they could have done themselves? Or is this just the norm chez Maxwell?

I can easily imagine a book series based on the ABC girls just as Palimpset outlined. Although I'm not sure that the ABC girls offer as much scope for her because I get the feeling that much of their day and most of their activities are not observed by Sarah.  She can't write about them going on vacation, for example, because she doesn't go with them.  They don't have pets. I guess it would be a lot of "adventures" at home and "fun times" with the aunties.

Sarah might be better at writing for an even younger crowd.  Maybe she needs to write for under 5's who expect no plot or character development.  She could make a whole book out of little more than a few paragraphs.  Luckily for her she doesn't have to write well because she is self-published and has an uncritical audience.  All she has to do is write about obedient children who love to work. "Look at Sally help Mommy in the kitchen.  Sally loves to wash dishes.  Sally loves to sweep the floor.  Sally loves to wipe the counters.  What a good girl Sally is.  Mommy loves Sally.  Jesus loves Sally. Sally loves Mommy.  Sally loves Jesus" That's two pages in a picture book.  Repeat for every room in the house.  Voila.  Book done.

I can easily imagine a book series based on the ABC girls just as Palimpset outlined. Although I'm not sure that the ABC girls offer as much scope for her because I get the feeling that much of their day and most of their activities are not observed by Sarah.  She can't write about them going on vacation, for example, because she doesn't go with them.  They don't have pets. I guess it would be a lot of "adventures" at home and "fun times" with the aunties.

Sarah might be better at writing for an even younger crowd.  Maybe she needs to write for under 5's who expect no plot or character development.  She could make a whole book out of little more than a few paragraphs.  Luckily for her she doesn't have to write well because she is self-published and has an uncritical audience.  All she has to do is write about obedient children who love to work. "Look at Sally help Mommy in the kitchen.  Sally loves to wash dishes.  Sally loves to sweep the floor.  Sally loves to wipe the counters.  What a good girl Sally is.  Mommy loves Sally.  Jesus loves Sally. Sally loves Mommy.  Sally loves Jesus" That's two pages in a picture book.  Repeat for every room in the house.  Voila.  Book done.

I absolutely agree that Sarah would do a much better job, were she to write for under 5 years old. The problem is that those books tend to rely heavily on the quality of their illustrations to attract and keep their readers' attention. Now, I honestly don't think Mary is up fror the challenge...

Anyone else see Sarah's response to the hike club commenter?

Im stumped. Is that the Maxwell equivalent of the finger? Because it sure could read that way. 

image.png

Oh, that's just heartbreakingly unaware.

That reminds me, my own life gets ever more Maxwellian—besides the bean burritos, I was eating a slice of American cheese (don't judge, at least I've mostly gotten the headship off of eating Velveeta) when, surprise, I found myself thinking "What the hell?" That's right, I found myself masticating part of the cheese paper. 

Sadly, I didn't take a photo to commemorate the occasion like Teri, nor did I even bother mentioning it to Mr. Cardinal; I'm only posting it here to confirm that yes, stupid boring cheese-related shit can happen to random heathen dumbasses as well as chronically depressive religious types

I bet they're totally scared of what it on the radio. Their father has probably told them that Satan tries to lure people through the radio. Any kind of rhetoric like that would certainly scare a kid, and if you're told that for long enough, it probably is engrained into your psyche as an adult too. 

Sadly, Jezebel, years back I was driving two little girls (daughters of a friend) in my car.  I turned on the radio, and the younger kid told me, "Satan is in that music, you know."  I offered to take the kids home immediately, but they said no.  One kid grew up to be a rebel, the other one, a minister's wife.  I'm still a godless heathen.

Oh, that's just heartbreakingly unaware.

That reminds me, my own life gets ever more Maxwellian—besides the bean burritos, I was eating a slice of American cheese (don't judge, at least I've mostly gotten the headship off of eating Velveeta) when, surprise, I found myself thinking "What the hell?" That's right, I found myself masticating part of the cheese paper. 

Sadly, I didn't take a photo to commemorate the occasion like Teri, nor did I even bother mentioning it to Mr. Cardinal; I'm only posting it here to confirm that yes, stupid boring cheese-related shit can happen to random heathen dumbasses as well as chronically depressive religious types

But the question is, how many bites did it take you to figure out you had bitten into cheese paper.

It took Teri half a sandwich...

They keep chickens and one of the few memorable genuinely fun posts Sarah ever wrote was about Abi as "chicky mama" looking after them all day. I think an FJer may have encouraged Sarah to consider writing a story about that.  Maybe she is going to do just that, with illustrations by Mary?

But the question is, how many bites did it take you to figure out you had bitten into cheese paper.

It took Teri half a sandwich...

One. Even plastic cheese has a distinctly different texture from actual plastic, so who knows how benumbed Teri must have been.

Anyone else see Sarah's response to the hike club commenter?

Im stumped. Is that the Maxwell equivalent of the finger? Because it sure could read that way. 

image.png

My reaction to that response is WTF too?  Even for a Maxwell.  What? Why are they so grudging with simple information while battering people over the head with preachifying about trivialities?  The Moodys learning about basic hiking safety would be a good and educational thing in the book, but noooo!

The Maxwells tout themselves as experienced hikers and  "summit 14ers" every year.  Don't they, at the very least, make sure people know where they are hiking and take a first aid kit, spare socks, adequate water, perhaps a compass, and surely a phone or whistle (dead zones) for emergencies.  Why not share that information with leg-humpers?  They boggle my mind.

Edit to add:  There is nothing top-notch about Sarah's writing.  The fact she thinks she is good at it is heartbreaking.

Don't forget "It's in the Q", in which Q fails to get a reply to a blog post past Stevehovah Pa Moody, and mayhem ensues!

I, personally, was looking forward to "Summer Nights With the Moodys", in which the Moody parents spend even more time than usual in the bedroom. 

And now I have the image of Steve and Danny Zuko and Teri as Sandy singing on bleachers.  That is not good casting.  :pb_lol:

My reaction to that response is WTF too?  Even for a Maxwell.  What? Why are they so grudging with simple information while battering people over the head with preachifying about trivialities?  The Moodys learning about basic hiking safety would be a good and educational thing in the book, but noooo!

The Maxwells tout themselves as experienced hikers and  "summit 14ers" every year.  Don't they, at the very least, make sure people know where they are hiking and take a first aid kit, spare socks, adequate water, perhaps a compass, and surely a phone or whistle (dead zones) for emergencies.  Why not share that information with leg-humpers?  They boggle my mind.

Edit to add:  There is nothing top-notch about Sarah's writing.  The fact she thinks she is good at it is heartbreaking.

As a kid I loved when books delved into the nitty gritty of how things were done.  All Creatures Great and Small is a wonderful book and I'm pretty sure I could cure a cow of summer bag with a bowl of goose grease and some determination because he painted such an amazing picture.  Or sugaring off time in Little House and frying the donuts for the country party in a later book.  Even Heidi making her bed out of straw in the loft and how Peter looked after the goats...how grandfather skimmed the milk.  

Point being I'm a lifetime away from being a kid and I can still remember whole passages of tons of books, because I was excited to be taken to a place where I could learn things I'd be ever be exposed to in real life (very little cow udder infections or beds made out of hay in the burbs).  What breaks my heart is that her writing isn't engaging because (IMO) her reading was so limited.  As a kid I was a voracious reader and while my mom tired to make sure things were age appropriate (failed miserably.  VC Andrews, anyone?) I read all kinds of stuff from different genres and styles and while reading is no substitute for living it broadened my ideas of how others lived and what was possible.

i was very little when I read Striped Ice Cream and I can still shiver when I recall that book and what a profound impact it had on me.  Because it rang true.  Books aren't just words selling a message, Steve, in order for the message to land they need to be evocative and touch people and that happens when there is truth in the fiction.  When the characters feel real and they make you think and feel.

it just makes me so sad to think they aren't just limited in their physical world, but to close off the world of books to kids and now kidults....It would be crueler than withholding food to me.

And now I have the image of Steve and Danny Zuko and Teri as Sandy singing on bleachers.  That is not good casting.  :pb_lol:

I think y'all ruined Grease for me:pb_lol:

I think y'all ruined Grease for me:pb_lol:

Imagine Teri wearing a leather jacket and a catsuit, with permed out hair, smoking a cigarette, and calling Steve a "stud".

"The Moodys get wasted at Ten Forward".

"The Moodys learn emotions from Data."

"The Moodys visit a Bajoran religious site and ask everyone where they are going after they die."

"Pa Moody and a holodeck surprise with Orion slave girls."

"The Moodys on Risa on what some might call a 'vacation'."

"We. Are. The. Moodys. Resistance is futile."

And the last part of the new Moody series:

"The Moodys disappear in a wormhole."

I couldn't resist ('cause resistance IS futile) :pb_mrgreen:

@trynn should write theseas fanfic.

Regarding Sarah's response to cherry's comment:  :huh:

WTF did I just read?!?  

Imagine Teri wearing a leather jacket and a catsuit, with permed out hair, smoking a cigarette, and calling Steve a "stud".

The only thing I can say is: :brainbleach:

Take Our Daughters to Work Day with the Moodys (not canon)

Remember, the Aperture Science "Bring Your Daughter to Work Day" is the perfect time to have her tested.

@trynn should write theseas fanfic.

Hmmm I could be convinced, but I'm not too familiar with The Borg.... Most of my Star Trek obsession is centered on Classic and Next Gen.

The Moodys get beamed on board the enterprise..... Hmmmm speaking of moody fanfic..... Off to do some writing.... But first I must feed my new feline.

Hmmmm the Moodys get a cat and try to introduce him to the dog....

The Moodys get a pet snake.....

The Moodys find Trynn's lost cat and try to reward her with preaching.......

Archived