IGNORED

Colorado with the Moodys

fiery redhead

Or maybe my FJ blog could stay on FJ? I could do that.... If I knew how. I'm pretty technologically inept.

Out of curiosity, how is what I do parody cs fanfiction? I'm not trying to make the Moodys look dumb on purpose, (they do a good enough job themselves) which is usually the purpose of a parody?

I almost think what I do is more satire?

Satire and parody - which is what you do  (and I hope I do)  is protected.  As is fair use.  Fanfic,  appropriating someone else's universe as your own, is not.  I'm not sure whether you have to try to profit from it to get into trouble. A quick google found this article: http://www.lisashea.com/lisabase/writing/gettingyourbookpublished/parody.html

It's in layperson terms so I thought I understood it.  I sort of think that the Moodys live in their own universe - and Steve doesn't seem litigious - but I always err on the side of caution.

I'm probably making a big deal out of nothing.  I just thought the differences might have to be better defined. :)

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, looking at this thread I kept thinking that maybe people were confusing pick-up sticks, the children's game, with the act of actually picking up sticks. Who picks up sticks at a surprise party? Pick-up sticks is at least a game, if a terrible one. But I went to check the website and lo and behold, they really are out there picking up sticks. Silly me, how could I think Maxwells would ever play a game? Even the world's most boring one? :pb_rollseyes:

::Coughs::  I'm about to sound incredibly stuffy but we don't want to give Steve any ideas.

What @Trynn writes is parody not fan fiction.  It is against the FJ rules to post fan fiction or real person fiction.  Legal reasons. 

@Curious, do we need to clarify this anywhere?  I just got all worried about it - probably totally unnecessarily. 

Not being a degreed legal professionalTM, I think we are fine if we make sure to credit the original work, as I do with song parodies, and I don't think anyone could possibly mistake Trynn's parodies for fanfic in a court of law! However, should we be changing Moody names to make it crystal clear.  For example:   "Bored with the Rings" turned Frodo into Frito.

We've had some discussion among several of the helpmeets whether Trynn's work was fanfic or parody/satire and I believe the conclusion was that it's not fanfic so would be allowed.   To be honest, I haven't really followed up on the topic because they were handling it.

I think it's probably a good idea to change the names, just to make it clear that it's parody and of course crediting the original, but that was pretty clear, IMO.  It doesn't hurt to be specific though.

I think it was me who mentioned the whole fanfic/parody thing. I just said "fanfiction" cos I couldn't think of a better word. I totally get the no fanfiction rule; like I said I just didn't know a better word.  

We've had some discussion among several of the helpmeets whether Trynn's work was fanfic or parody/satire and I believe the conclusion was that it's not fanfic so would be allowed.   To be honest, I haven't really followed up on the topic because they were handling it.

I think it's probably a good idea to change the names, just to make it clear that it's parody and of course crediting the original, but that was pretty clear, IMO.  It doesn't hurt to be specific though.

So, going forward, Mix, Match, and Moggie Muddy (I forget the names of the other sprogs) and a citation should cover it. :)

I think it was me who mentioned the whole fanfic/parody thing. I just said "fanfiction" cos I couldn't think of a better word. I totally get the no fanfiction rule; like I said I just didn't know a better word.  

It's a grey area.  You did nothing wrong.

So, going forward, Mix, Match, and Moggie Muddy (I forget the names of the other sprogs) and a citation should cover it. :)

Maxwell, Mitchwell, Molwell, Melwel and Moswell. :P

The fact that I came to the attention of the help meets enough for them to have a discussion about me is not.... Comforting.,

I will think about changing the names. At this point I'm not sure I feel a need, but I could see one k. The future if I start doing it on a regular basis....

I was thinking more along the lines of "Bax" Baxter, Bolly, Bitch and Baddie. Hmmmm Bitchie Moody and her twin Baddie Moody....

No, possibly not....

The fact that I came to the attention of the help meets enough for them to have a discussion about me is not.... Comforting.,

I will think about changing the names. At this point I'm not sure I feel a need, but I could see one k. The future if I start doing it on a regular basis....

I was thinking more along the lines of "Bax" Baxter, Bolly, Bitch and Baddie. Hmmmm Bitchie Moody and her twin Baddie Moody....

No, possibly not....

No, no! And yes, yes!  Coming to the attention of the Helpmeets is not always bad.  As in this case.  You gained attention because of your brilliance! :56247958035f1_32(18):

I think changing the names is for the protection of FJ.  I like the "B" names.  Keep on trucking with the satire/parody, Trynn.  I love it!

Out of curiosity, how is what I do parody cs fanfiction? I'm not trying to make the Moodys look dumb on purpose, (they do a good enough job themselves) which is usually the purpose of a parody?

I almost think what I do is more satire?

Parody doesn't necessarily mean 'to make look dumb'.  In your case, to parody the Moody books is to use elements from them in such a way as to highlight their inherent absurdity. Legally, parody is "is the use of some elements of a prior author's composition to create a new one that, at least in part, comments on that author's works" (according to SCOTUS).  Satire can be a component of parody.

I think the difference between parody and fanfiction is that the intent of parody is to comment on the original work, while the intent of fanfiction is to tell your own story using elements from another story, generally to appeal to fans of the original.  (Though sometimes fanfiction can have a secondary element of parody.)  It's pretty clear that you're doing the former, not the latter.

Huh. Thank you for the insights and definition. I guess I didn't really know the difference between parody and fan fiction. So, if I were to, say, write a story about Mollie the character meeting the neighbor girl and going on a magical adventure, that would be fan fiction. But this is.... parody, because it's meant to highlight the Moodys and what the neighbors must really think of them.... hmm.

Haha I am just wary of coming under the, er, notice, of authority figures. In my experience it's usually a bad thing. You know, growing up in conservative Christianity.

At some later date I will change the names, but I already had this written up and now I really need to get to work on that stupid make up paper that I wouldn't be having to write if you would just.... ahem. In any case....

Trick of treating with the Moodys, part 2

(because I am a bit dissatisfied with the way the last one went. Also, it needs more Maude.)

While Jane and Alexa took Katie and Xander trick or treating, Grandma Maude took her younger great grandchildren, Madison and Mason. Jane and Alexa hadn't felt they could manage 4 children by themselves, and Katie and Xander didn't want to go T&Ting with the babies anyway. So Madison and Mason dressed as Elsa (drink!) and Fluttershy, respectively. The 3 year old was a bit scared to dress up in such a “girly” costume, but Maude was quick to reassure him that, “anybody who makes fun of you just isn't comfortable in their own skin. Besides, lots of grown up men are huge My Little Pony fans. You know your uncle T? He never misses an episode.”

“Really?” Mason squealed. All the little kids liked uncle T.

“That's a fact.” Maude said firmly. “Now get out of the car, kids. Let's start with this house on the corner.”

If Maude had known that that was the Moody house, she would have skipped it. If she hadn't been so preoccupied with internal fuming about “boy” costumes vs “girl” costumes, she would have noticed that most of the other trick or treaters were giving the place a wide berth.

Maude rang the doorbell. Mr. Moody opened it. “Now, what do you say kids?” She bent down to ask Mason and Madison.

“TRICK OR TREEEEEEEAT?!” The twins shouted, not in unison.

Mr. Moody opened his mouth, then closed it.

I thought you turned the porch light off, dad,” said Max, coming up behind him.

“I did, son.” Mr. Moody replied. “I think it's set to come on automatically when people come up...”

“Oh, Mr. Moody, I'm so sorry. We saw the light before we got here.” Maude took Mason's hand and reached for Madison's. “We'll just be--”

It's ok, Miss. Marple.” Mr. Moody said, “some small animal must've triggered the light. I've got to figure out how to shut it off and make it stay off.”

“But while you're here,” said Max, “won't you take one of these?” He slipped two Million dollar tracts into the twins' outstretched orange plastic pumpkin buckets. “They have the million dollar question on the back.”

Maude stared at Max. “You gave my great grandbabies tracts for halloween? Instead of candy?”

“Yes,” Mr. Moody said, “It's better for their souls and their teeth. Have a good evening.” He started to close the door. Maude stuck her foot in it.

“You gave my great grandbabies, who can't even read, tracts?”

Let me give them some cookies, dad,” said Mollie, who had reappeared in the doorway with some cookies in her hands.

Mollie!” Dad said, shocked. “I already told you, we won't give out treats on Halloween, lest people think we are celebrating the devil's birthday right along with them! Go to your room and pray for forgiveness and an attitude of obedience and submission to your god ordained authority.”

Mollie's lower lip trembled. She lowered her head and left the porch. Maude stood there, astonished. She was so shocked at how he had treated his daughter's attempt at kindness that she had forgotten to run away while she still could.

I'm very sorry to have upset you, Miss Marple.” Mr. Moody said. “Perhaps you could read the tracts to your 2 grand daughters?”

“I'm not a girl!” Mason piped up. “I'm a boy!”

Mr. Moody took a step back. His jaw dropped.

You tell them, Mason!” His twin nodded approvingly. “Make them accept you for who you are. You've got nothing to be ashamed of.

Oh my.... you.... you let him wear... a girl's costume?Mr. Moody asked Maude incredulously.

Who says it's a girl's costume?” Madison shot back. She was not afraid to look Mr. Moody in the eye. “Who says that girls can only wear this while boys can only wear that? It's stupid. My twin brother isn't doing anything wrong, so don't you dare tell him what he can wear, Mr!”

I'm so proud of my grandbabies, thought Maude.

Mr. Moody shook his head. “Child,” he said, “the bible tells us--”

“The Bible tells us no such thing!” Maude shot back.

“Miss Marple,” Mr. Moody said, switching tracks. Do you think you're going to heaven when you die?”

Maude blinked. “Well, yes.”

“Have you ever told a lie?”

“No,” said Maude. “I am always quite truthful.” Then, deciding she may as well try and make Mr. Moody's head explode, she went on. “In fact, everyone always tells me I'm too blunt. 'why yes Emily, that dress does make you look fat.' 'Your cookies taste like bricks Mrs. Jones, why, we gave one to the hamster and he used it to break the bars of his cage.' I'm just terrible at telling lies, Mr. Moody, even white ones people tell to spare their feelings. Ooooooh if my great grandchildren weren't in front of me Mr. Moody.... .if only it were just the two of us.... I sooooo want to take you down a notch!

Mr. Moody's face froze. He didn't seem to know what to say. Maude took advantage of his silence to lead the twins off the porch. “Have a nice night, Mr. Moody!”

When they had reached the safety of the street, Mason spoke up.That man isn't happy with himself.”

“What makes you say that honey?” Asked Maude.

“He doesn't think your a good person. In school, we learned that means he doesn't think he's a good person either.”

I guess the bible was right when it said wisdom comes from the mouth of babes.” Maude said out loud. “Come on children, let's go to the next house. We'll definitely get something there. Oh, and give me those tracts Mr. Moody gave you. We'll use these to light tonight's Halloween bonfire.”

Just you wait Moody, thought Maude as she pocketed the tracts. Just you wait.

Hey guys.... hasn't Colorado legalized Marijuana? Ooooooh I am about to have so much fun with this if you say yes.

Yes. 

I think later tonight and possibly when I wake up tomorrow morning, I'll still be laughing about the brony part.

Sadly I don't know much about the ins and outs (military, so it doesn't really matter for me).  Colorado is making a ton of money off legalized pot, however.  There is a website called coloradopotguide that seems pretty helpful and informative.  Essentially, it's possession of up to an ounce by people who are 21 or older, do not have to be CO residents.  It does not permit public consumption however.

I've lived in Colorado Springs as well (2012-2014) which should be a place they visit because that's where Pike's Peak is.  You could make them climb the Manitou Incline (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manitou_Incline) and get passed up by some of the elderly who are inexplicably not in nursing homes to be sung to by the Moodys.

So like, you wouldn't just go to a cafe and smoke it while reading a book?

Would one smoke weed when climbing a mountain, or would you need to save your lungs for acclimation or something? Like would one climb a 14er and pause to smoke, or is that a bad idea?

Would one smoke weed when climbing a mountain, or would you need to save your lungs for acclimation or something? Like would one climb a 14er and pause to smoke, or is that a bad idea?

I don't know the answers to your questions, but I like where they're going!

Years ago I took a hike to a nearby local peak with my boyfriend at the time, and once we were at the top he wanted to smoke a joint before heading back down.  I couldn't fathom that it was a good idea to lose any mental sharpness and then promptly set off down a narrow trail, especially given my sometimes-precarious back muscles and my general klutziness, but he apparently found the idea appealing.  Maybe if one got to the top and then planned a longish rest while appreciating the scenery (or even an overnight camp) then that kind of relaxation wouldn't be such a bad idea.  Or if the hike wasn't especially precarious, then hiking while stoned might be rather enjoyable (for those who enjoy it -- I tried several times but never liked it much).

Oh my sweet summer child. 

There is a long history of hikers & marijuana usage. The best part about legalization, IMO, is the availability of safe edibles. Also vaping is popular. 

You know, looking at this thread I kept thinking that maybe people were confusing pick-up sticks, the children's game, with the act of actually picking up sticks. Who picks up sticks at a surprise party? Pick-up sticks is at least a game, if a terrible one. But I went to check the website and lo and behold, they really are out there picking up sticks. Silly me, how could I think Maxwells would ever play a game? Even the world's most boring one? :pb_rollseyes:

I assumed that in one of Sarah's books the Noody children must have offered to pick up sticks at a widow's house by way of doing good deeds (You know those Noodys-- they never play when they can do extra chores.) Someone decided that reenacting that scene from the book would be a fun party game.  Not wanting to interact with any  unrelated widows who might question what the hell they were doing, they choose to pick up sticks at Gigi's house.  And to make this "game" more exciting they had the children wear safety goggles so they wouldn't poke their eyes out. 

Now in a stretch I could just about seeing this as a fun game for 3 year olds, especially if the adults used silly voices and monkeyed around.  This being the all-boring-all-the-time Maxwells I think the older kids (being well trained to be joyful and obedient) went along with this because at least it didn't involve Bible lessons or spankings.

Dammit kids!" Maude said as she slammed the door. "There's no sticks for my dog to play with. The Doody children picked them all up and threw them away when I wasn't home just because they think I'm a widow! Now I have to go buy dog toys."

(Maude is divorced.)

I assumed that in one of Sarah's books the Noody children must have offered to pick up sticks at a widow's house by way of doing good deeds (You know those Noodys-- they never play when they can do extra chores.) Someone decided that reenacting that scene from the book would be a fun party game.  Not wanting to interact with any  unrelated widows who might question what the hell they were doing, they choose to pick up sticks at Gigi's house.  And to make this "game" more exciting they had the children wear safety goggles so they wouldn't poke their eyes out. 

Now in a stretch I could just about seeing this as a fun game for 3 year olds, especially if the adults used silly voices and monkeyed around.  This being the all-boring-all-the-time Maxwells I think the older kids (being well trained to be joyful and obedient) went along with this because at least it didn't involve Bible lessons or spankings.

It was an IJN which is Maxoody speak for an "In Jesus' name" which is a good deed done to bless others.  I imagine that the older kids have already learned to cooperate and take turns in "blessing" each other with the things they want, because they would be in deep trouble if they actually expressed a wish to do an activity to meet their individual, personal wishes and needs.

When I was an annoying Christian teenager, for a while my friend and I used to go around pointing out other people's good deeds, giving them a round of applause and then following up by telling them that now they had been praised for it on earth, they would no longer be storing up treasure in heaven! :my_biggrin:

We found ourselves to be hilarious... Sarah's blog posts seem to be doing much the same thing but with no sense of irony.

When I was an annoying Christian teenager, for a while my friend and I used to go around pointing out other people's good deeds, giving them a round of applause and then following up by telling them that now they had been praised for it on earth, they would no longer be storing up treasure in heaven! :my_biggrin:

We found ourselves to be hilarious... Sarah's blog posts seem to be doing much the same thing but with no sense of irony.

I love hearing about people's experiences as Christian teenagers (after they've had some distance from that time).  I have a friend who used to speak in tongues when she was 13 and an Evangelical of some sort.  She's a doctor (who has volunteered and actually helped people by running clinics in Zambia!  She could teach Shrader a thing or two), but now an atheist.  Oddly, she was even an atheist when she volunteered abroad AND when she volunteers domestically.  It's almost like she has a moral compass and a conscience, but doesn't need to adhere to Maxhellian rules to be a good person...  :my_confused:

Archived