IGNORED

Colorado with the Moodys

fiery redhead

I assumed that in one of Sarah's books the Noody children must have offered to pick up sticks at a widow's house by way of doing good deeds (You know those Noodys-- they never play when they can do extra chores.) Someone decided that reenacting that scene from the book would be a fun party game.  Not wanting to interact with any  unrelated widows who might question what the hell they were doing, they choose to pick up sticks at Gigi's house.  And to make this "game" more exciting they had the children wear safety goggles so they wouldn't poke their eyes out. 

Now in a stretch I could just about seeing this as a fun game for 3 year olds, especially if the adults used silly voices and monkeyed around.  This being the all-boring-all-the-time Maxwells I think the older kids (being well trained to be joyful and obedient) went along with this because at least it didn't involve Bible lessons or spankings.

You know, I really liked picking up junk in the yard when I was little, but that's because my parents paid me for it. I made BANK the year mom gave me 50 cents for every bag of honey locust pods i picked up. :pb_biggrin: I don't think the Maxwells are likely to encourage that sort of thing, though. Money?! For chores!? All their children would be millionaires by now, if they did that.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love hearing about people's experiences as Christian teenagers (after they've had some distance from that time).  I have a friend who used to speak in tongues when she was 13 and an Evangelical of some sort.  She's a doctor (who has volunteered and actually helped people by running clinics in Zambia!  She could teach Shrader a thing or two), but now an atheist.  Oddly, she was even an atheist when she volunteered abroad AND when she volunteers domestically.  It's almost like she has a moral compass and a conscience, but doesn't need to adhere to Maxhellian rules to be a good person...  :my_confused:

Sometime, then, I shall tell you about my early teenage years.....

Sometime, then, I shall tell you about my early teenage years.....

Oh, please, you truly must.  :worship: Pretty please. :my_biggrin: <----- This is the best I could do, but I think we need a bug-eyed emoji.

Actually, thinking about it, what I'm writing isn't really a direct parody of the Moodys. It's kind of a parody of the Maxwells. I created a family based on them, and then the story's told from the POV of an outsider who used to live in Kansas and then came back several years later. So it's a little like what Trynn's doing, but more parodying fundiedom in general, just with a Maxwell-like family. 

@amandaaries I'll have to tell you about my teen years as well! Church on Sunday morning, Sunday evening, Wednesday Bible study, Thursday night service, etc. 

I don't know why that posted twice. Or why my phone corrected point to poking. I apologize for not proofreading and for my phone double posting.

@amandaaries I'll have to tell you about my teen years as well! Church on Sunday morning, Sunday evening, Wednesday Bible study, Thursday night service, etc. 

YES!  I love those stories -- the more detailed, the better! Pretty please!!

Archived