IGNORED

Colorado with the Moodys

fiery redhead

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what makes Sarah's writing so bad is more than a lack of exposure or education or anything like that. I think it's that he parents constantly knock any kind of passion or stirring of emotions besides Jesus approved joy out of them. 

Even the the worst of writers can show some evidence that they're enjoying the process, or that they really want to be writing this. But Sarah can't want anything except Jesus.

from what I heard about Jesse and his guitar, the Maxwells would think Erin bates was enjoying the piano too much and make her quit. I think even if Erin had the exact same writing/exposure level as Sarah, she would still write better just because she has a deeper concept of being able to feel for things that weren't only about Jesus. 

Likewise, I think that even if Sarah's education/writing skill was better, her books would still be this way if the Maxwell denial of any kind of passionate feeling was the same. 

She's never read Charles Dickens, Mark Twain, or Jane Austen either. It must be so strange trying to have any sort of conversation with her. I wonder how many basic phrases and references that people use just go right over the Maxwell kids' heads?

So far over head they look like contrails (or chemtrails if you're paranoid fundie.)

references to Monty Python sketches--whoosh!

memorable quotes from The Princess Bride--whoooooosh!!

Mentioning Mickey Mouse or Marilyn Monroe, or even saying "they think they're Romeo and Juliet" about two dramatic fifteen year olds, goes right over their heads! 

I would find it fascinating to get to have a conversation with one of the Maxwell kids. I am seriously bummed that I never saw them while they were still touring. 

poor Sarah was at J and E's house because they needed last minute help and she couldn't say no.  Than she was asked to bring a tool to C and A house and of course couldn't say no.  She had to text (everyone?) where she was going and that she would be late, because no unaccounted time.  When she got there C pretend to be working becuase anything else would seem out of the ordinary.  He asked Sarah (who was already late for dinner) to come inside and see something or other, she couldn't say no.

My thoughts as well. She's s server who goes from one assignment to another, being ordered around by others and neglects her own wishes because she couldn't say no. I cannot even begin to grasp how low her self esteem must be. Although she's an adult and therefore free to leave and live her own life, I can only feel so sad for her :tw_cry: If a genie in a bottle appeared and let me choose only one SAHD to find love and happiness I would choose Sarah in a heartbeat.

Having said all that, I, too, find it genuinely nice that they did something for her. However, it was NR Anna who came up with idea, not her "immediate family" and not even her blood relative.

Surprise moody book party for Sarah.  Much fun (oops!) was had by all.

blog.titus2.com/2015/10/27/anna-marie-hosts-a-surprise-party/

Abby's getting so tall! And Melanie looks great.

They were so excited to see each other for the umpteenth time this week!

I agree, Melanie looks fantastic! This is the best I've seen her look in years.

I'm glad they did something nice for Sarah.  She always seems to be in the shadows.

There is a picture of Sarah driving. There has been some question if the "girls" had drivers licenses.

In the Keeping Hearts book, Sarah talks about driving - she always has to have a sibling with her, which she joyfully accepts!  Because it holds her accountable, and now she loves her siblings!!

How old was Sarah when that book was written. Surely she's allowed to go to Wal Mart on her own now that she's in her 30's. Right guys? :my_sad:

poor Sarah was at J and E's house because they needed last minute help and she couldn't say no.  Than she was asked to bring a tool to C and A house and of course couldn't say no.  She had to text (everyone?) where she was going and that she would be late, because no unaccounted time.  When she got there C pretend to be working becuase anything else would seem out of the ordinary.  He asked Sarah (who was already late for dinner) to come inside and see something or other, she couldn't say no. Her party was a work project and bible time, which is pretty much a normal day.  At least they had cookies.  *Sigh* what a strange look into the like of Poor Sarah Maxwell. 

All of this.  It's also interesting that it was NR Anna who had the idea of the party.  That was nice of her, but I wish someone could have taken Sarah out for a nice adult dinner , champagne, and a movie, concert or play. 

All that excitement and intricate planning for a surprise party was so difficult because these people have no privacy or autonomy.  In typical Maxwell family tradition it was a party for family only.  it's full of self-praise for working so hard to make homemade pizza and cookies (what no salad?) which are fairly easy. Then, be still my foolish heart, the entertainment is Family Bible time as usual, a trivia game, a clapping game suitable for children, and IJN picking up sticks for a widow.  Even the widow is a family member! 

Note that Anna wrote that entry.  I think it is a toss-up whether her writing is worse than Sarah's but I wish both of them would give up the passive voice.

I loved this response in the comments to requests that they post the Moody trivia game.  It's classic Maxwell tortured sentence structure and they can never just do something, even post a few questions that they have already developed.  They have to brainstorm and complicate everything for themselves first.

Good question. Brainstorming how we might accomplish the trivia questions the best way!

"That was nice of her, but I wish someone could have taken Sarah out for a nice adult dinner, champagne, and a movie, concert or play." 

None of those things can happen. It might expose Sarah to sights and sounds she should not see or hear. And champagne! You know the answer to that.

Everything must be done with the family. If it is a celebration, then the extended family, or most of it. I keep wondering what on earth they all find to talk about with each other. One would think they have had more than ample time to discuss everything under the sun. And they have no access to TV, radio, newspapers, magazines, or other people so they can't even mention current events, sports, a boyfriend, the last episode of a favorite TV show, the cruise to Mexico a friend took, college classes, or anything else. Nothing is ever new when it's the same family members together, day after day. Their whole lives are spent with each other. How can they so enjoy such "special" gatherings? They're all the same!

(Still trying to figure out how to quote properly with this new set up-and not quote everything.)

So why was Poor Sarah allowed to participate in a quiz about her own book? (but came second)

Also the Moody 'rhythm' game with clapping and Terri finger clicking could lead to one of the children towards the drums, which I thought were forbidden in fundie land i.e. beat = 'rock' music... something to think about Stevie?

Their whole lives are spent with each other. How can they so enjoy such "special" gatherings? They're all the same!

Because they literally have nothing else to enjoy.  It's either read the bible, do work, or spend time together as a family.  It's like Tom Hanks with the volleyball on the island - they've got nothing to enjoy, so they probably do enjoy each other.

What's sad is that they are forced into it, just as they are forced into everything else - so there's no telling if that is what they would have preferred.  I love my siblings because I love them, not because that's my only choice.

"That was nice of her, but I wish someone could have taken Sarah out for a nice adult dinner, champagne, and a movie, concert or play." 

None of those things can happen. It might expose Sarah to sights and sounds she should not see or hear. And champagne! You know the answer to that.

Everything must be done with the family. If it is a celebration, then the extended family, or most of it. I keep wondering what on earth they all find to talk about with each other. One would think they have had more than ample time to discuss everything under the sun. And they have no access to TV, radio, newspapers, magazines, or other people so they can't even mention current events, sports, a boyfriend, the last episode of a favorite TV show, the cruise to Mexico a friend took, college classes, or anything else. Nothing is ever new when it's the same family members together, day after day. Their whole lives are spent with each other. How can they so enjoy such "special" gatherings? They're all the same!

(Still trying to figure out how to quote properly with this new set up-and not quote everything.)

Interesting point. I have 2 co-workers that are in each other's offices over half the day (4 hours or more)- just talking. every day.  I am betting they talk about work for about 30-40 minutes per day. But then what else? It was rumored they were having an affair but then he didn't leave his wife but they still do this, every. single. day. Often during the week they go out to lunch too. Another friend and I say we don't even have that much to talk about with our own husbands! My husband doesn't want to know every single detail of my day at work (nor do I want to relive it) and I don't want to know every bit of his day either- just the highlights please! So like the Maxwell's, what could you possibly have going on every day that you see the person every day and have 4+ hours of conversation every.single.day? And for the Maxwell's, as you point out- they all live together, they all worship together, they all do everything together. <if this was my life- please kill me>

Their whole lives are spent with each other. How can they so enjoy such "special" gatherings? They're all the same!

Because they literally have nothing else to enjoy.  It's either read the bible, do work, or spend time together as a family.  It's like Tom Hanks with the volleyball on the island - they've got nothing to enjoy, so they probably do enjoy each other.

What's sad is that they are forced into it, just as they are forced into everything else - so there's no telling if that is what they would have preferred.  I love my siblings because I love them, not because that's my only choice.

yes! How real are the Maxwell kids' beliefs when they know of nothing else?

Interesting point. I have 2 co-workers that are in each other's offices over half the day (4 hours or more)- just talking. every day.  I am betting they talk about work for about 30-40 minutes per day. But then what else? It was rumored they were having an affair but then he didn't leave his wife but they still do this, every. single. day. Often during the week they go out to lunch too. Another friend and I say we don't even have that much to talk about with our own husbands! My husband doesn't want to know every single detail of my day at work (nor do I want to relive it) and I don't want to know every bit of his day either- just the highlights please! So like the Maxwell's, what could you possibly have going on every day that you see the person every day and have 4+ hours of conversation every.single.day? And for the Maxwell's, as you point out- they all live together, they all worship together, they all do everything together. <if this was my life- please kill me>

My headship and I both work from home and spend 90% of our waking hours with or near each other. We never run out of things to talk about.

Of course read widely, follow current events, and maintain relationships with extended family and filthy heathen friends. I suspect this provides more fodder for conversation than Bible time and pick-up-sticks. 

So why was Poor Sarah allowed to participate in a quiz about her own book? (but came second)

Also the Moody 'rhythm' game with clapping and Terri finger clicking could lead to one of the children towards the drums, which I thought were forbidden in fundie land i.e. beat = 'rock' music... something to think about Stevie?

I am just optimistically assuming that Sarah was trying to let the kids win but her brother didn't get the clue, so that's why the scores ended up being what they were. But then again, it would be very evil and dishonest of her to pretend to not know an answer when playing a game with small children, right? 

Given how much disdain Steve has for idle, unedifying chit-chat, coupled with the fact that these people live nearly identical lives, I would bet that a lot of their time together is either spent in near-silence or in further discussions of all things Jebus. Even when they get together for something "special," the talk always seems to be scripted, a la this party's Moody trivia game. You'd think that with so many grandkids, nieces and nephews running around, things would lighten up, but the sooner you nip imagination and exuberance in the bud, the less you'll have to worry about unedifying talk in the future. So sayeth Stevus.

We came up with a long list of foods that were in the Moody books (mostly desserts) and started weeding them down. We ended up deciding to keep it simple—homemade pizza and sugar cookies—because there was so much to fit into one evening besides eating. 

Interesting that there are mostly desserts featured in the Moody books.  I wonder if Sarah likes desserts or she (rightly) thinks that kids like to read about desserts.  Probably the former as she rarely does any writing to please the reader.  I certainly do not understand the sentiment that they could only have cookies because they didn't have time to eat any other kind of dessert.  What strange ideas they have.  Perhaps Steve made some remark the last time they had the oldies around for open house about there were too many desserts on display.  We know his monkish leanings.

Anna Marie busily worked on creating a sign and other projects while the rest of us felt a bit helpless, because we couldn’t do too much without Sarah knowing.

Oh FFS.  These cretins made Anne Marie do all of the prep work because otherwise Sarah would have figured out something was up?  Either they have zero imagination (very possible) or else they just didn't want to be bothered. How do they manage to wrap up presents for Sarah when it is her birthday?

We then played a Moody trivia game that I had written. It had everyone thinking hard and laughing hysterically asthey tried to answer questions like, “Who was Mr. Adams?” Abby was the only one to get that one right.

Seriously?  Sarah did not know the answer to that?  Makes you realize how little she has invested in her own books.  I honestly think writing them is a chore and the world of the Moodys is not one she enjoys revisiting.

Looks like first place prize for winning the trivia contest was a box of M&Ms.  And did you guys see that giant pitcher of sprinkles?  Holly cow that's a lot of sprinkles; they must put them on everything.  I've never seen sprinkles mixed in withe cookie dough before.  I noticed that they left some of the cookies unfrosted so you could have your choice: sugar cookies with frosting or sugar cookies without frosting.  Hope everyone loves sugar cookies.

Also what's up with the goggles?  I noticed the ABC girls wearing goggles to pick up sticks.  Do the adults seriously imagine that they would poke their eyes out?

So, remember Rebecca Eleventy, the girl who was possibly interested in one of the Maxwell sons?

I just checked her blog, and she's been writing Toy Story Fanfiction!  

You can read her stories here:  https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6745748/Mustard-Lady

For those unfamiliar with her blog, you can find it here:  http://hiswayserves-hiswayserves.blogspot.com/

I hope she never ends up in Maxhell - I'd hate to see all the joy and talent sucked out of her.

What i found interesting is that Teri is laying on the floor while attempting to complete the trivia. I would have never imagined that she would be so "un-classy" and lay on the floor like that.

Plus Andrew is attempting to do somersaults while remaining on his blanket? and one more from the same picture: is that Tina being blanket trained too?

I thought Teri laying on the floor was almost defrauding!  I was surprised to see her do something so seemingly informal and relaxed.

My headship and I both work from home and spend 90% of our waking hours with or near each other. We never run out of things to talk about.

Of course read widely, follow current events, and maintain relationships with extended family and filthy heathen friends. I suspect this provides more fodder for conversation than Bible time and pick-up-sticks. 

Also good points.

I feel like I should clarify something, my husband and I can talk about a lot of stuff because we also follow current events and the family and our kids. When we go on the road, we can talk the entire way (I can't read, do handwork or play games on a phone because I will get sick) about a million different topics. But I need quite time sometimes because my brain is always running on high. And since he teaches school, he needs down time because he is always "on" at school.  But again, it isn't like we don't have anything to say, sometimes we are just too tired to talk.

So, remember Rebecca Eleventy, the girl who was possibly interested in one of the Maxwell sons?

You can read her stories here:  https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6745748/Mustard-Lady

For those unfamiliar with her blog, you can find it here:  http://hiswayserves-hiswayserves.blogspot.com/

I hope she never ends up in Maxhell - I'd hate to see all the joy and talent sucked out of her.

Hey, good for her!

Yes, she'd never fit in at Maxhell.  Toy Story?  Perry Mason?  Not in Maxhell.

I didn't read any of her fanfic stories yet, but good for her for putting herself out there.

Who is picture of on her blog's title page?

I think it's Sue Thomas, F.B.Eye, a tv character that Rebecca really likes.  She's written several blog posts about the show.  Here are the links to the first two installments:

http://hiswayserves-hiswayserves.blogspot.com/2014_04_01_archive.html

http://hiswayserves-hiswayserves.blogspot.com/2014/05/sue-thomas-fbeye-2-why-i-admire-this.html

Hey, good for her!

Yes, she'd never fit in at Maxhell.  Toy Story?  Perry Mason?  Not in Maxhell.

I didn't read any of her fanfic stories yet, but good for her for putting herself out there.

Also, she has a Pimp my Ride DVD! Talk about wordly... I'm glad she didn't end up in Maxhell, she's a nice girl and her family seems kind and fun.. They're probably my favorite fundies. She deserves a great guy! not creepy Joseph.

[..snip.]

I loved this response in the comments to requests that they post the Moody trivia game.  It's classic Maxwell tortured sentence structure and they can never just do something, even post a few questions that they have already developed.  They have to brainstorm and complicate everything for themselves first.

Good question. Brainstorming how we might accomplish the trivia questions the best way!

But they already posted the questions!! You can read all of them in the picture they posted of the trivia sheet.

Archived