IGNORED

Erika Shupe *fake smile* Large Families on Purpose Part 2

DaffyDill

I have nothing against Ramen, I just found it laughable that Michelle Duggar thinks it's a great breakfast choice for children due to its protein content. :)

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's ironic to me that Bob has a meme posted on his facebook that says "I survived free range parenting" and his caption is that he wouldn't change the freedom he was given as a kid. How ironic given his and Erika's obsessive control over their own kids. They aren't allowed to brush their own teeth! :cray-cray:

I noticed that the other day! I really wish I could be a fly on the wall for some of their interactions!

You can totally do "fancy" top ramen -- my preference. Add frozen veg, drop an egg in the pot, use less powder and more broth or hot sauce. I enjoy it a lot that way and it's still budget friendly and college friendly. I also use like tofu crumbles etc. The noodles stretch it all farther and it's very satisfying.

When I was a freshman in college, I used ramen noodles as the basis of probably half my meals lol. I made a lot of stir fries out of them. I used whatever vegetables were seasonal (and therefore cheapest), plus tofu, a pinch of the seasoning powder and some water. It was tasty and made things a little different.

I can't imagine why I didn't lose weight, it being so "healthy" and all :lol:

Just read the salad post. Unless those are some seriously huge salads, I'm sure those poor kids aren't getting enough calories, fat or protein to support good body and brain development. On the other hand, keeping children slightly malnourished makes them easier to control :angry-banghead:

I hate this woman so much. I agree with the posters who suspect she embraced fundie-ism because the rules are clear and absolute. Can't argue with God!

Oh, and ramen is awesome! Add some veggies, a little tofu, maybe a dash of sesame oil and you have yourself a feast :stir-pot:

I had to re-read it too. Erika is saying that no blog on the internet caters to every single individual reader so stop criticizing Erika for not being able to do so either. She really can only address the readers that are like her.

Erika is an absolute and totally heinous harpy. Her comments are absolutely dripping with pretentiousness and contempt. She exemplifies the love of Christ as much as rattlesnake does.

SNIPPED

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

I had a totally normal childhood and I can't order at restaurants either. But that's cause I am soooooooo indecisive and the larger the menu the worst it gets. I don't frequent these places a lot but restaurants that have like 6 options are wonderful for me. And yet, it will still take me forever to choose between those six lmao. I am not a fun restaurant buddy lol.

A thought.. I usually have no problem deciding on what looks good, but if I know I am meeting people at a new restaurant, or if I"m deciding on where to go with my husband, I go to the online menus ahead of time, mostly so I can figure calories-- even if I end up getting the high cal item, I know what I'm doing (some salads are worse than sandwiches) My state does not require calories information on the menu but many websites include it.

IT is a way to narrow down what looks good before you get to ta place.

just a thought.

It's ironic to me that Bob has a meme posted on his facebook that says "I survived free range parenting" and his caption is that he wouldn't change the freedom he was given as a kid. How ironic given his and Erika's obsessive control over their own kids. They aren't allowed to brush their own teeth! :cray-cray:

I also find it ironic (without getting political) that Bob's posts are basically all about how controlled we are by the government and how we are supposed to have freedom and blah blah, yet he lives in one of the tightest-controlled households with one of the most controlling women. It's odd given his obsession with freedom. :lol:

Maybe Bob is so obsessed with freedom on the national level because he knows he has no freedom at home. He can't complain openly about his marriage/family situation, so he projects his frustrations and desires onto something he can openly talk about. When he's talking about the government controlling him he's subconsciously talking about Erika. I like this hypothesis. :)

Maybe Bob is so obsessed with freedom on the national level because he knows he has no freedom at home. He can't complain openly about his marriage/family situation, so he projects his frustrations and desires onto something he can openly talk about. When he's talking about the government controlling him he's subconsciously talking about Erika. I like this hypothesis. :)

Ooh, that's an interesting theory. I'd like to give Bob some Veritaserum and see what he really thinks of Erika's rules.

(Sorry about the Harry Potter)

I can't see any Halloween related posts on Bob's page - just some anti-Obama, pro-gun crap. Maybe he's been told by Erika to knock it off already, so he's deleted them all?

ETA: Oops - found the pumpkin murderer one...

Where are you finding Bob's Facebook page I can't find anything other than the cleaner guys page. :pink-shock:

Ooh, that's an interesting theory. I'd like to give Bob some Veritaserum and see what he really thinks of Erika's rules.

(Sorry about the Harry Potter)

I love the Harry Potter references! Keep them coming -- we just have to be careful not to go overboard. :wink-kitty:

I wonder about Bob, too. I haven't seen one picture of him and Erika where he truly looks happy. I have seen pics of him looking happy and engaged with the kids, but not with the missus, despite her nonstop *beam mode*.

Clearly Bob sees himself as the protector and provider of a large family with a strong (domineering, shall we say?) wife. His work is disaster repair and clean up, so he can and is legitimately away from the home for long stretches of time. Any mother who's mothered solo for awhile knows how challenging that is -- married or not, it's tough and stressful being the only adult on duty for a long period. If I were Bob, with a stressed out, control freak wife at home, I'd probably delay my return every night. The kids are fun, but the harpy in the background can't be conducive to relaxation.

He seems to have the same fear-focus that Erika has -- the black and white, good and evil thinking which kills critical,nuanced thought. She's much more overtly religious about it, and he seems to take a macho, military stance, but both of those behaviors are borne in fear.

I wish they'd get some therapy to address whatever existential dread they keep trying to tamp down. They don't need to do a total 180* like Sparkling Lauren, but loosening up, easing restrictions, and allowing their children & teens to practice decision-making would truly help them.

I agree that being on duty all day with that many kids would be stressful. I think that's why the fundie wives turn their oldest daughters into mini-moms. That way, the wife doesn't feel "alone" all day. Their daughters are part of the staff, like a daycare. Because with 9 kids, Erika is running a daycare compromised of only her children.

A thought.. I usually have no problem deciding on what looks good, but if I know I am meeting people at a new restaurant, or if I"m deciding on where to go with my husband, I go to the online menus ahead of time, mostly so I can figure calories-- even if I end up getting the high cal item, I know what I'm doing (some salads are worse than sandwiches) My state does not require calories information on the menu but many websites include it.

IT is a way to narrow down what looks good before you get to ta place.

just a thought.

That would be a useful technique for when I know ahead of time. Unfortunately most of the time I end up at restaurants randomly. One way I have learned to cope is I'll order the same thing if I've been to that place before. Unfortunately it means I don't get a lot of variety.

I don't really go out to eat that often anyway so it's not a huge deal. It annoys my friends more an anyone lol.

He seems to have the same fear-focus that Erika has -- the black and white, good and evil thinking which kills critical,nuanced thought. She's much more overtly religious about it, and he seems to take a macho, military stance, but both of those behaviors are borne in fear.

This is so perfect. The fear literally radiates from their Facebook pages!

I also have the feeling they are both trying so hard to be happy, but they come off as so uptight.

I'm not a licensed PR professional, but have found that when you're trying to market yourself as a paragon of Godly wisdom, bragging about your atrocious spelling and made-up words is kind of counter-productive.

Second, looking at the 4th of July family picture and reading Erika's accounts of "the little ones", her kids are treated not according to their chronological age and stage, but depending on their being tagged as Mommy's 2IC (Karen and Melanie) or as "the little ones" (a group which includes everyone aged 5 to 12). Melanie was essentially raising her siblings at age 12, Brandon can't even brush his own teeth. Something tells me that even 10 years from now, the little ones will be too little to do anything or have any agency over their lives, all the while Erika comes up with new ways to infantalize them using her usual catch-phrases: "they have their entire lives to do ", "I've done my research and come to the conclusion that is not right for my children", or "They will be allowed when it's appropriate". Walla! Issues addressed.

I'm not a licensed PR professional, but have found that when you're trying to market yourself as a paragon of Godly wisdom, bragging about your atrocious spelling and made-up words is kind of counter-productive.

Second, looking at the 4th of July family picture and reading Erika's accounts of "the little ones", her kids are treated not according to their chronological age and stage, but depending on their being tagged as Mommy's 2IC (Karen and Melanie) or as "the little ones" (a group which includes everyone aged 5 to 12). Melanie was essentially raising her siblings at age 12, Brandon can't even brush his own teeth. Something tells me that even 10 years from now, the little ones will be too little to do anything or have any agency over their lives, all the while Erika comes up with new ways to infantalize them using her usual catch-phrases: "they have their entire lives to do ", "I've done my research and come to the conclusion that is not right for my children", or "They will be allowed when it's appropriate". Walla! Issues addressed.

I find this so troubling! When/if these kids ever get out of the Shupe house my guess is that they will be petrified over making even the smallest decision or they will go crazy and make reckless choices for themselves. Both are frightening and sad.

This is so perfect. The fear literally radiates from their Facebook pages!

I also have the feeling they are both trying so hard to be happy, but they come off as so uptight.

They are truly such terrified people. They really don't radiate a deep peace from knowing a divine presence or feeling connected to something larger than themselves.

Instead, it's *beam* like me by following my strict rules -- but don't ask questions, even if you're an adult reader who has truly tried and truly stumbled on this allegedly perfect path. That reader she blew off had lost her home trying to follow her "convictions," but Erika can't be arsed to grapple with those tough issues. I can't tell if she's busy silently decrying the reader as someone who lacks faith, or just shutting down in the face of a sincerely difficult critical question. Either way, such reactions should hardly make her a leader amongst stay at home moms who are trying to do what's best for their families.

I find this so troubling! When/if these kids ever get out of the Shupe house my guess is that they will be petrified over making even the smallest decision or they will go crazy and make reckless choices for themselves. Both are frightening and sad.

Have you checked out patheos or Homeschoolers Anonymous? They have a lot of personal blog posts from adults who've slowly broken away from these incredibly restrictive lifestyles. Most of them describe that kind of decision paralysis -- they have no experience thinking for themselves and wind up dependent on their parents for choices, even sometimes after marriage (men raised this way also often lack decision making skills, it seems). It's fascinating to read about, but it's also reassuring in some ways. Despite the rocky beginnings, a lot of people eventually come out much stronger on the other side.

The human spirit is resilient. But it does always take a lot of mistakes to learn even a little bit of wisdom, so a lot of these people are starting with a real deficit.

Flora Jessop is an interesting one. She escaped from the FLDS, spun out of control for awhile, then came back stronger to try to help others break free. She goes to a lot of extremes, but she's a very interesting person.

I haven't read those! I will check them out! Thanks!

Yes, I'm sure they do end up figuring things out and bouncing back but it's just so sad that their parents put them at such a deficit in the first place.

My friend Sarabeth has been in there attempting to encourage those that Erika shuns. I hate you all for this. :lol: I've always wanted to debate a fundie and now I have a chance. I tried friending Penelope but it wouldn't let me.

My friend Sarabeth has been in there attempting to encourage those that Erika shuns. I hate you all for this. :lol: I've always wanted to debate a fundie and now I have a chance. I tried friending Penelope but it wouldn't let me.

I'm having a great time following along! I threw in some snark on the Halloween post... For now I'm just laughing and enjoying the current thread :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited to add that I love it when Erika gets all flustered and fired up!

Oh my goodness, Erika is throwing some shade. Look at this recent Facebook comment to a commenter on the Staying at home post by Erika: "Can you please direct me to the Facebook page or blog that writes posts specific to every readers situation, calamity, joy or blessings? I would like to read that one too, please do share with us." :lol: Yikes!

*sputters* But, but but!!! I thought she said that the Word of G-d applies to ALL people in ALL times and in ALL places!! And that her blog is, simply put, the conveyance of that word! So, I thought LFOP was the FB and blog that "writes posts specific to every readers[sic] situation, calamity, joy or blessings"?!?

Now I'm all confused! *eye-roll*

Having seen Bob's facebook, I stumbled upon what he wrote for a skirt post on the blog about a husbands opinion on a wife wearing only skirts and boy is it weird.

By this point you are likely saying to yourself, What does this have to do with skirts? Everything, actually. You see, if you start dressing up and your husband is comfortable living within the typical expectation levels you may experience some resistance to this if for no other reason that by comparison, the outside perspective will be all the more “Boy, he really married up.â€

You may not have ever thought of peer pressure as something to deal with in a marriage but it is. Here are some examples: One spouse becomes a Chrisitan and the other is not. One spouse decides to start a diet and loose weight and the other does not. One spouse decides to stop a habit of some kind and the other does not. A tremendous peer pressure is present in these situations and it is not something that can be ignored.

We also learn that somebody suggested a certain brand of lotion for one of the daughters due to acne but Erika decided it was too much of a luxury.

We ALSO get to learn that Erika believes, " There's no way. There are hardly any gay-homosexual men out there compared to the rest of the population. But they are loud and in-your-face so they seem like many."

I do not know if Erika doesn't know if gay and homosexual...are...synonyms...or what the hyphenated version is...or whatever she thinks it is. But it's cracking me up.

I'm having a great time following along! I threw in some snark on the Halloween post... For now I'm just laughing and enjoying the current thread :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited to add that I love it when Erika gets all flustered and fired up!

I had forgotten about the Halloween post. I jumped in there. I'm afraid Bob and Erika aren't evenly yoked.

Having seen Bob's facebook, I stumbled upon what he wrote for a skirt post on the blog about a husbands opinion on a wife wearing only skirts and boy is it weird.

We also learn that somebody suggested a certain brand of lotion for one of the daughters due to acne but Erika decided it was too much of a luxury.

We ALSO get to learn that Erika believes, " There's no way. There are hardly any gay-homosexual men out there compared to the rest of the population. But they are loud and in-your-face so they seem like many."

I do not know if Erika doesn't know if gay and homosexual...are...synonyms...or what the hyphenated version is...or whatever she thinks it is. But it's cracking me up.

I don't even know where to begin with this!! What the HELL is Bob talking about??? Peer pressure in marriage? These examples are what he calls "tremendous peer pressure?" Now, more than ever, I really, really want in on the dynamics of this relationship! And is he worried about feeling pressured to start wearing skirts??

And Erika doesn't even surprise me with her ignorant, "gay-homosexual" comment. What a moron.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived