IGNORED

Erika Shupe *fake smile* Large Families on Purpose Part 2

DaffyDill

And really Erika, you can probably stop talking about the stylish clothes you usually wear. I don't think anyone would call long denim/khaki skirts with plain t-shirts "stylish". They are perfectly acceptable clothes. They make sense for your life as a SAHM. They would probably pass muster in most workplaces with a business-casual dress code. But that's really all you can say :shrug:

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

STRAIGHT. The word is STRAIGHT.

STRAIT is a body of water. STRAIGHT!

STRAIGHT....

STRAIGHT...

STRAIGHT...

:worship: :worship: :worship: THANK YOU! This has been driving me insane! :cracking-up:

She posted an article about getting your children to love reading. I don't know about anyone else, but my parents fostered a love of reading in me by letting me read just about anything I wanted.

Hell yes!

I had pretty much unrestricted access to what I wanted to read. Hell my parents barely set limits regarding grade level/subject matter.

ERIKA FICTION IS AMAZING AND FOSTERS EMPATHY, KNOWLEDGE ABOUT ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE AND A HEALTHY VOCABULARY.

...Oh...wait. Those are all things Erika doesn't want!

She posted an article about getting your children to love reading. I don't know about anyone else, but my parents fostered a love of reading in me by letting me read just about anything I wanted.

This. Bold is mine. In general I think most kids enjoy reading/listening to stories as long as they are able to explore what interests them! I've seen kids who have trouble with reading, actually improve their skills upon finding books they love!

Poor fundie kids. Makes me think of my fundie SIL who wasn't even allowed to read the Babysitter's Club books as a teenager.

STRAIGHT. The word is STRAIGHT.

STRAIT is a body of water. STRAIGHT!

STRAIGHT....

STRAIGHT...

STRAIGHT...

Her usage of "Strait" applies to the jacket. However, I doubt that it's modest enough-- :roll:

(Edit--the above is in reference to Erika, of course--)

This. Bold is mine. In general I think most kids enjoy reading/listening to stories as long as they are able to explore what interests them! I've seen kids who have trouble with reading, actually improve their skills upon finding books they love!

Poor fundie kids. Makes me think of my fundie SIL who wasn't even allowed to read the Babysitter's Club books as a teenager.

I have a James Patterson quote pinned on one of my Pinterest boards. It says: "There's no such thing as a kid who hates reading. There are kids who love reading and kids who are reading the wrong books." In general, I think that's true. As a kid, my boyfriend didn't like to read- then he discovered the James Bond novels. They're not particularly high brow, but they got him into reading. Now he's insatiable. If only all kids could have a light bulb moment like that... It seems like Karen and Melanie really like to read, but Erika restricts it so much that they barely get to do anything entertaining. I hope that doesn't turn the younger kids off on the whole exercise.

Of course she thinks there are "hardly any" LGBT people. She practically never leaves the house. In my office, my church (UU), and so on, they're fairly thick on the ground.

Of course she thinks there are "hardly any" LGBT people. She practically never leaves the house. In my office, my church (UU), and so on, they're fairly thick on the ground.

No, no, no... Erika researched, and knows the Biblical truth. That's just liberal media bias. You're imagining LGBT+ people existing.

/sarcasm

Erika's newest post to the LFoP page makes me rage. She posted a link about the Planned Parenthood "selling of body parts" controversy and said

There's still no planning and no parenthood but maybe they will stop selling the remains of babies at least.

What the hell does that even mean? Planned Parenthood provides the "planned" aspect pretty well in the form of dispensing birth control. Also, they definitely tend to the needs of mothers-to-be for the "parenthood" aspect, often for women with low income and without insurance. So her Scamaritan-loving butt should be appreciative that they provide maternal care for people like her, who little money to spare for expensive prenatal care.

Some idiot wrote:

They won't. They will just be more careful about getting caught. They use to say that no tax dollars go for abortions. Yet, the clinics are more advanced and cleaner at the clinics they do abortion. Not to mention that now they admit tax dollars will be used for abortions "in a emergency". But what constitutes an emergency to immoral people? Anything they can get away with.

Sigh. The Hyde Amendment is crystal clear on this. Rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother. And frankly, those situations should constitute an emergency to both "moral" and "immoral" people. :roll:

But, hey, Erika, your beloved Washington is one of only four states that voluntarily use state funds to provide for medically necessary abortions. *smile*.

Some idiot wrote:

Sigh. The Hyde Amendment is crystal clear on this. Rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother. And frankly, those situations should constitute an emergency to both "moral" and "immoral" people. :roll:

But, hey, Erika, your beloved Washington is one of only four states that voluntarily use state funds to provide for medically necessary abortions. *smile*.

Why don't they move? Sure, they have family nearby, but it seems like they'd be a better fit, politically, elsewhere. I don't want them in my home state of Kansas (it's fucked enough as it is), but they'd fit right in, especially in a non-university town.

Why don't they move? Sure, they have family nearby, but it seems like they'd be a better fit, politically, elsewhere. I don't want them in my home state of Kansas (it's fucked enough as it is), but they'd fit right in, especially in a non-university town.

Nope don't want them here in my beloved, albeit screwed up, state. We just go rid of Fred. lol

I don’t think it matters where they live seeing as how they hardly ever leave the house.

I don’t think it matters where they live seeing as how they hardly ever leave the house.

Seriously. There are no gay people in Erika's world yet Seattle, just a few hours south of them, has a very active and welcoming lgbtq community.

I'm laughing my ass off at Erika's latest post and the bevy of dumb comments it has accrued. Its about a Large Family (notice the capitalization, please) who had their kids temporarily taken away KIDNAPPED! by the horrible CPS because the two oldest kids, teenagers, were responsible for taking care of the rest of the 9(!) kids for a little while, while the mother was in the hospital with pancreatitis.

90% of comments are about how good, Christian, homeschooling Large Families are so oppressed these days. 1 commenter says that families need to have plans for childcare when both parents are away from the home. Summoned like a bunch of hellions from below, Erika's leghumpers come to the family's defense and start squawking about why its TOTALLY OKAY to let two young teenagers take care of 9 other children on their own.

Jesus H. Christ. :angry-banghead:

Edited to add: Shit just got real. The mother of the kidnapped kids is in the comment section defending herself. Awww yeahhh. :popcorn2:

Some dude named Filter (FILTER?!) said:

I think it is more noteworthy that the ones responsible for starting tbe whole ordeal was "church members." Explain how calling the state department is how Jesus handled the needs of His followers?

Uhh...calling CPS is NOT calling the state department. The state department handles international relations... :?

Back to that old, familiar fundie polemic against CPS...because CPS has nuttin' better to do than investigate people who don't warrant investigating and take away their children for no reason whatsoever...

Some dude named Filter (FILTER?!) said:

Uhh...calling CPS is NOT calling the state department. The state department handles international relations... :?

Back to that old, familiar fundie polemic against CPS...because CPS has nuttin' better to do than investigate people who don't warrant investigating and take away their children for no reason whatsoever...

Yeah, I feel bad for CPS social workers these days. Why did they start getting such a bad rap all of the sudden? And why do people think that its super easy for CPS to have kids taken away? I know that there have been cases where CPS has been overzealous but in many cases, I'd rather there be an investigation and things proven to be alright than for some badly abused kids to fall through the cracks (as often happens).

From the article:

Cinderella never had problems with anxiety before, but now she is reportedly panicking and having tummy aches, asking for her parents to pray for her because she is so afraid.

One of their daughters is named Cinderella!? I am speechless. :pink-shock:

A whore's skirt, that's what!

Actually, after some preliminary googling, it seems like only the ultra-trendy brands marketed towards young women carry front-slit skirts. And they're mostly pretty modest.

I googled too, plus the example up-thread. Not really my style. Maybe I'm old fashioned. Does this mean Ericka is more fashion forward than me? (I can't find an emoji for ponders, so just imagine one here.)

From the article:

One of their daughters is named Cinderella!? I am speechless. :pink-shock:

Too bad CPS didn't exist during the REAL/fictional Cinderella's time, or else she would've been spared from her stepmother and sisters' wrath.

But yeah, talk about being worldly.... naming your kid after a (secular) fairy tale...

Edited to add: Perhaps if this picks up steam we should add a new thread to cover this Rembis brood? https://www.facebook.com/rembisfamily?fref=ts

I feel that Large families will always be under attack. We too have a large family and are all to familiar with CPS and the harassment that comes with it, and we too are a large family with 8 children and one on the way. Our family is always criticized and under the "watchful eye" of others. My oldest 2 kids are perfectly capable and responsible enough to babysit and yet because of our troubles with CPS and false allegations in the past I am always left in fear when I have them watch the younger siblings for even just an hour so that I may go grocery shopping or even just run to the gas station. People will always fear and attack what they don't understand, and the common society doesn't understand or support late families.

Who are these people that are openly criticizing large families? Some of these people with large families make it sound as though they're constantly at the receiving end of harassment about their family size. I just can't imagine a stranger being that invested in someone else's reproductive decisions, unless we're going Zsu Zsu here and considering comments like "Boy, you have your hands full!" criticism. Maybe, just maybe, you're under the "watchful eye" of others because you send out some red flags, lady. (And a side note, frankly, that woman's oldest doesn't look old enough to be looking after two infants on her own. :shrug: )

Yeah, I feel bad for CPS social workers these days. Why did they start getting such a bad rap all of the sudden? And why do people think that its super easy for CPS to have kids taken away? I know that there have been cases where CPS has been overzealous but in many cases, I'd rather there be an investigation and things proven to be alright than for some badly abused kids to fall through the cracks (as often happens).

This is just a theory, but I think it's similar to why people think planes are so dangerous. (there is a name for this theory but I can't remember) Planes are the safest way to travel, but when something happens on a plane it's a VERY big deal and you hear about it everywhere. This makes it seem like planes malfunction more than they do, because people hear about it so much.

People don't really talk about CPS doing their jobs successfully very much. But if something does go wrong, which is has, it becomes the talk of the town. So then people develop that association.

Fundies are another thing altogether though. CPS wouldn't have to take your kids away if you took care of them, fundies! *glares*

This is just a theory, but I think it's similar to why people think planes are so dangerous. (there is a name for this theory but I can't remember) Planes are the safest way to travel, but when something happens on a plane it's a VERY big deal and you hear about it everywhere. This makes it seem like planes malfunction more than they do, because people hear about it so much.

People don't really talk about CPS doing their jobs successfully very much. But if something does go wrong, which is has, it becomes the talk of the town. So then people develop that association.

Fundies are another thing altogether though. CPS wouldn't have to take your kids away if you took care of them, fundies! *glares*

I also think a big part of it is that CPS cannot answer back regarding the specific reasons why they investigated a family or removed children, nor can they respond to allegations made in the press. So it's basically a free for all of people saying anything they want to and denying any wrong doing, without the other side being represented.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived