IGNORED

Jill & Jessa specials coming - MERGED

quiversR4hunting

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Jessa and Jinger may have done laundry? I remember shots of them both in there. In that episode were they all looked back at old footage, Jinger and Jessa were complaining about their old hair and the scene they were watching was in the laundry room.

Joy had the job for awhile, too, or at least helped Grandma Mary with it. Maybe that was a jurisdiction that got rotated regularly.

Also, I don't think we can say which girl told the laundry room account based on their jurisdictions years later. It's very possible things got shuffled around if the girl in the laundry room didn't want to be there anymore.

There is talk elsewhere that JB may be financing the "specials" himself. Any thoughts on this? I would think if her were to do that, he and J'chelle would certainly get some pretty prominent face-time.

Why would he do that, even if he had the money? I thought the whole point of being on TV was for them to make money.

It is possible that he got sponsors though. I could see him getting a few former sponsors to agree to sponsor the specials. He is a salesman, after all.

The "talent" has nothing to do with the sponsors of a show. They don't bring them in or communicate with them. That's the job of the marketing department for the sponser and the network itself. They aren't going to talk to Jim Bob and no way does he have any type of pull with any sponsor, especially a large company like Lowes that pays big money for marketing. You have to have real money to market your item during a tv show, even one with a small audience as on TLC. No way does Jim Bob have those kind of connections. He is small-time compared to those companies. All sponsors care about is getting the largest audience, with the right demographics, for their product. Most sponsers buy ad time way in advance of an episode and many are just buying a time slot. I think Jim Bob would be the worst person to send out to get a sponsor. He will just make TLC look foolish.

It is fine, really.

No doctor ever told me my son had WWB, but I had twin nephews that were born 6 weeks early back 20 years ago or so and the term was used then and this is how I first heard the term. Even though the struggle of these late term preemie white boys is exactly the same as it has always been, medical professionals are much more guarded in the phrases they use to communicate with parents than they were in the past. In any event, the terms that are used to describe medical issues with my children have not mattered to me nearly as much as dealing with the actual medical conditions. My youngest, the preemie, is in 1st grade now and he has extreme ADHD. I finally gave in and got an IEP for him because he has really struggled with behavior and impulse control at school. For a long time I resisted because I didn't want him to be "labeled". Eventually I came around to deciding that it was worth it for him to have help on a day to day basis and not deny him that help based on a fear that someone might one day make fun of him or call him names.

My 2 boys have really been through a lot. I have seen the inside of a NICU and a CICU enough to last me a lifetime, but alas, my son with a heart defect will always need to have "work" done on his heart so there will be more visits. Instead of getting down and depressed about it I just remember how lucky I am that medical advancements are such that a) my son with Tetralogy of Fallot is alive, b) I was able to get an emergency c-section with my preemie before he died, and c) my preemie was born in a hospital with a level III NICU and he was able to be attended to immediately upon seeing he was struggling so with breathing.

As to the bolded above, I did not call my son that name and I didn't even use that term. :naughty:

I know the issue has been put to bed already but...

Mom of two kids labeled wimpy white boy syndrome in the NICU here! Our neonatologist said it, though we already knew white males made the slowest progress, the WWB label made us laugh in the middle of a horrible, stressful time. And damn if girl after girl didn't come in and go out while we sat by those NICU beds for 9 full weeks waiting for them to stay awake for a whole 1.5 ounce bottle!!!

And as for calling my itty bitty fragile preemies wimpy, its said now with love as I am in awe of how strong they really are and everything they overcame despite being born 11 weeks early weighing only 2 pounds each. They may have been lazy with getting out of the NICU, but most kids their gestation were lazing around in a uterus chilling and they were learning to breathe, regulate body temperature, and eat! They have all those full term kids beat on accomplishments by due date. :lol: :lol:

The "talent" has nothing to do with the sponsors of a show. They don't bring them in or communicate with them. That's the job of the marketing department for the sponser and the network itself. They aren't going to talk to Jim Bob and no way does he have any type of pull with any sponsor, especially a large company like Lowes that pays big money for marketing. You have to have real money to market your item during a tv show, even one with a small audience as on TLC. No way does Jim Bob have those kind of connections. He is small-time compared to those companies. All sponsors care about is getting the largest audience, with the right demographics, for their product. Most sponsers buy ad time way in advance of an episode and many are just buying a time slot. I think Jim Bob would be the worst person to send out to get a sponsor. He will just make TLC look foolish.

I agree. But I'd find it more believable that he brought a sponsor to TLC than that he was paying to produce the show, as the rumor suggested.

And while I also agree that TLC would never send Jim Bob or other "talent" to sell ads, I really wouldn't put it past JB to go to an advertiser on his own.

IMHO, the rumor that Jim Bob is paying for the specials is nonsense, but it may have started with some effort (successful or not) on JB's part to get sponsors and/or his bragging that he got sponsors for the show. It wouldn't have to be true, just what he said to someone who then reported it to someone else who turned that into JB is paying for the show.

I know the issue has been put to bed already but...

Mom of two kids labeled wimpy white boy syndrome in the NICU here! Our neonatologist said it, though we already knew white males made the slowest progress, the WWB label made us laugh in the middle of a horrible, stressful time. And damn if girl after girl didn't come in and go out while we sat by those NICU beds for 9 full weeks waiting for them to stay awake for a whole 1.5 ounce bottle!!!

And as for calling my itty bitty fragile preemies wimpy, its said now with love as I am in awe of how strong they really are and everything they overcame despite being born 11 weeks early weighing only 2 pounds each. They may have been lazy with getting out of the NICU, but most kids their gestation were lazing around in a uterus chilling and they were learning to breathe, regulate body temperature, and eat! They have all those full term kids beat on accomplishments by due date. :lol: :lol:

Yeah I had hoped the issue been put to bed, but since it has come up again I feel the need to point out something.

I do get it that some parents find humor in the WWB term and yeah humor does help during times of stress. I‘ve already admitted that I have a chip on my shoulder about medical slang, but I think I am coming from a different perspective. There is some difference between “wimpy white boy†and the language I’ve heard professionals use about my child. My daughter has Down syndrome. “Humorous†medical slang that references the fact that she is intellectually disabled carries a very different implication. There is a dehumanizing quality to it that seems more pronounced than terms like “wimpyâ€. When it comes to the time spent in hospitals, I’ve not only found myself fighting for my daughter’s life but also her right to be seen as a human being.

Had my daughter been born before 1984 (when Baby Doe Law was passed) she would have died within days of her birth. Not because medical science wasn’t advanced enough to save her. Far from it, the surgery she needed was very simple. She would have died because it was common practice for doctors to advise parents of infants with Down syndrome to withhold life saving medical treatment and just let the child die. In some cases, simply feeding an infant with DS was considered “life saving treatment.†Many doctors wouldn’t have seen my child as a human life worth saving.

Things have changed a lot in the last several decades but negative attitudes toward people with intellectual disabilities are still present in the medical world. Most doctors/nurses have been wonderful and respectful to my daughter. But a few have been absolutely awful. As a mother that tears me up and makes me rage. I feel especially vulnerable when I need to entrust my daughter’s care to a surgeon that harbors prejudiced ideas about the value of her life. That’s the situation I’m dealing with right now so I’m especially sensitive to this whole topic at the moment. Hence my lashing out the other day.

Yeah I had hoped the issue been put to bed, but since it has come up again I feel the need to point out something.

I do get it that some parents find humor in the WWB term and yeah humor does help during times of stress. I‘ve already admitted that I have a chip on my shoulder about medical slang, but I think I am coming from a different perspective. There is some difference between “wimpy white boy†and the language I’ve heard professionals use about my child. My daughter has Down syndrome. “Humorous†medical slang that references the fact that she is intellectually disabled carries a very different implication. There is a dehumanizing quality to it that seems more pronounced than terms like “wimpyâ€. When it comes to the time spent in hospitals, I’ve not only found myself fighting for my daughter’s life but also her right to be seen as a human being.

Had my daughter been born before 1984 (when Baby Doe Law was passed) she would have died within days of her birth. Not because medical science wasn’t advanced enough to save her. Far from it, the surgery she needed was very simple. She would have died because it was common practice for doctors to advise parents of infants with Down syndrome to withhold life saving medical treatment and just let the child die. In some cases, simply feeding an infant with DS was considered “life saving treatment.†Many doctors wouldn’t have seen my child as a human life worth saving.

Things have changed a lot in the last several decades but negative attitudes toward people with intellectual disabilities are still present in the medical world. Most doctors/nurses have been wonderful and respectful to my daughter. But a few have been absolutely awful. As a mother that tears me up and makes me rage. I feel especially vulnerable when I need to entrust my daughter’s care to a surgeon that harbors prejudiced ideas about the value of her life. That’s the situation I’m dealing with right now so I’m especially sensitive to this whole topic at the moment. Hence my lashing out the other day.

Wow...I honestly had no idea doctors had attitudes like that. I mean, I guess I shouldn't be entirely surprised because people are awful. But reading this made me tear up. It sounds like you are an amazing advocate for your daughter. How old is she now?

Wow...I honestly had no idea doctors had attitudes like that. I mean, I guess I shouldn't be entirely surprised because people are awful. But reading this made me tear up. It sounds like you are an amazing advocate for your daughter. How old is she now?

She’s five and a little spitfire that keeps me on my toes!

I do want to repeat that MOST doctors, nurses & other professionals who have cared for her have been really wonderful. Her pediatrician is the most awesome person ever and I am so grateful that we have her on our team. Yet, unfortunately there are always going to be people who have prejudicial attitudes.

I have seen that same attitude toward children with cystic fibrosis. And almost all congenital diseases that can't be cured. One of the doctors that I worked for encouraged a patient to abort a child who had Marfan's. The woman thought this was odd, as no one in her family or the father's family had Marfan's, but the doctor counselled her in to terminating the pregnancy. Turns out the baby didn't have Marfan's at all. I don't how - ? - but it was a false positive? Or a mistake or something. The doctor still thought she did the right thing. :think: The younger doctors I've worked with weren't like that though, thankfully, so hopefully that mindset is only of a dying breed.

It is not up to the doctor to persuade a woman whether or not to abort, carry to term, or withhold care. His/her job is treating the patient and explaining options. Not persuade one way or the other. That is beyond unethical.

It is not up to the doctor to persuade a woman whether or not to abort, carry to term, or withhold care. His/her job is treating the patient and explaining options. Not persuade one way or the other. That is beyond unethical.

This! I worked in a perinatal clinic, so we unfortunately saw many families dealing with the choice of whether to CTT or end a pregnancy incompatible with life. The staff is there to help give medical facts, and support either way.

The hardest was when they'd become convinced all medicine and science was wrong and there'd be a miracle. But I will never judge someone in that horrible situation, because everyone deals with loss in their own way.

This! I worked in a perinatal clinic, so we unfortunately saw many families dealing with the choice of whether to CTT or end a pregnancy incompatible with life. The staff is there to help give medical facts, and support either way.

The hardest was when they'd become convinced all medicine and science was wrong and there'd be a miracle. But I will never judge someone in that horrible situation, because everyone deals with loss in their own way.

My perinatal clinic was great. They respected our wishes and no one tried to persuade us one way or another.

What floored me was how many comments I got from people I knew about how "Doctors are wrong about this stuff all the time!" It seems EVERYONE has a sister's niece's cousin's friend of a friend who had a doctor tell them their baby would be born with Down syndrome (or whatever dx). In the stories the doctor always pressures the mom to abort but she won't and then the baby born totally healthy!!11!! Seriously, I heard this like 8 million times. I knew they were trying to be supportive and helpful but it was sooooooooo not helpful. At first I would try to explain the difference between screening and diagnostic testing (I had an amnio). But I gave up after awhile and would just smile but cringe on the inside.

I can't imagine working at a perinatal clinic and how sad (and frustrating) it would be to see people in the situation you described. How devastating that would be after the child is born. I mean, either way it is devestating but if you are expecting a complete miracle and then it doesn't happen. Can't imagine.

What does CTT stand for?

I could honestly understand if a medical professional 'recommended' an abortion for a child that basically would never live. I mean, sure...it's not really their decision. But I could understand that. But for something like down syndrome?! Hell no. That is insane to me. Of course, the stats on this topic disgust me greatly though.

What does CTT stand for?

CTT= carry to term

It's when a pregnant woman choses not to abort when the baby is diagnosed with a medical issue.(Or the woman herself would be at risk if the pregnancy is continued.)

May I recommend a novel by Richard North Patterson called Protect and Defend? It covers the case of a minor trying to abort a nonviable foetus against the wishes of her parents. Neither side is demonised - only the politicians who try to use the very personal pain for their own ends!

This is such a hot button topic. So polarlizing.

Through my own personal experience I have found there can be lot of misinformation on all sides. I just point that out because of the Down syndrome termination statistics being brought up. I hear the claim that something like 90% of prenatal dx of DS are terminated. This is most likely false. More comprehensive studies have been done and show that basically we really dont know what the true statistics are but they are almost certainly lower than that. But the 90% stat is constantly brought up in the media by prolife supporters. It is a difficult thing for me to hear because it has become a politcal propaganda sound byte. But it is a personal issue for me.

I know no one asked my opinion, and I don't want to stir up an abortion debate, but I am very pro-choice. I always have been but going through a medically complicated pregnancy has made me even more so. I chose to continue a pregnancy after my child was diagnosed with birth defects. That was my choice. I am grateful I had that choice. I would never judge anyone for making a different choice. It is a totally personal descision. Not everyone has the same values/beliefs or life circumstances. I strongly support the right for women to have a choice in these situations even if I would personally choose differently.

This is such a hot button topic. So polarlizing.

Through my own personal experience I have found there can be lot of misinformation on all sides. I just point that out because of the Down syndrome termination statistics being brought up. I hear the claim that something like 90% of prenatal dx of DS are terminated. This is most likely false. More comprehensive studies have been done and show that basically we really dont know what the true statistics are but they are almost certainly lower than that. But the 90% stat is constantly brought up in the media by prolife supporters. It is a difficult thing for me to hear because it has become a politcal propaganda sound byte. But it is a personal issue for me.

I know no one asked my opinion, and I don't want to stir up an abortion debate, but I am very pro-choice. I always have been but going through a medically complicated pregnancy has made me even more so. I chose to continue a pregnancy after my child was diagnosed with birth defects. That was my choice. I am grateful I had that choice. I would never judge anyone for making a different choice. It is a totally personal descision. Not everyone has the same values/beliefs or life circumstances. I strongly support the right for women to have a choice in these situations even if I would personally choose differently.

Thank you for an empathetic and tolerant post -I actually cannot imagine anyone from the

'other side' of the divide speaking with such graciousness and understanding - not to mention respect!

I am so grateful that my son was not diagnosed with ToF before he was born. Abortion is offered when a fetus is found to have this and quite frankly, when they lay out the problems and treatments, it is very terrifying. It's a rare defect and chances are that you don't know anyone who has it. My son was not diagnosed until he was 24 hours old. If he had been diagnosed before I am not sure what I would have done. He was my 3rd child and his father and I were having problems (understatement). It was a hard time in my life even without the added stress of a child with a life threatening condition.

Now he is 13 and has a relatively normal life. He sees his cardiologist every year and we are aware that he will need more surgeries at some point. He also has some fine motor skill difficulties due to a post-operative stroke. The first 3 years of his life were a blur of all sorts of appointments.

Actually, CHDs are nowhere near the death sentence they used to be. They are very common (1 in 110 babies is born with a CHD in the U.S., approx 40,000 each year), and Tet is in fact one of the more common defects, so finding resources and experienced surgeons is relatively easy (though may require some travel). Some CHDs are still extremely dangerous, especially depending on the type of condition you have, but I would be horrified to hear of any doctor who suggested abortion for CHDs...especially as some can now be treated in utero depending on complexity and severity.

I wasn't diagnosed with a severe, complex version of TOF until my 2 week checkup. I'm due for a lifetime more of surgery, but I am lucky comparatively...one friend with TOF needs a full transplant. But overall, survival rates for CHDs are so much higher now in the past 20 years because of the leaps and bounds science and medicine have made. In fact, for the first time ever, adult patients with CHDs now outnumber pediatric patients. The survival rates are incredible! Over a million babies are born with CHDs each year worldwide, and over 900,000 survive. That's a 90+% survival rate! Any doctor who feels it appropriate to suggest abortion for that or any other condition with high survival rates should frankly have their license stripped.

In terms of CHD and long term outcome, it all depends on the exact defect.

A PDA is NOT HLHS-

I was a NICU nurse for 35 years and I have never heard of an abortion being suggested for a prenatal DX of CHD, but I have heard of some parents withholding treatment [after medical consultation] for severe CHD conditions in the newborn period.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived