IGNORED

Bates Family - Part 4

Coconut Flan

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the music program she did, which actually looks really cool (they are in the video at 3:50ish)

bsmny.org/programs/map.php

I wonder how close they are to the duggars exactly. Close enough for Jinger to visit and stay with them? I highly highly doubt that would happen, but a girl can dream.

Jinger finds a way to live in New York for a brief period. I can see her enjoying walking around looking at everything and taking pictures if she actually likes photography. And there are plenty of cafes for her coffee fix!

Actually, she strikes me as the type to make cafes her hobby. A lot of people get up, run errands or whatever and then pick a new cafe to try like every day or every other day. I can easily see Jinger having a routine like that.

Actually looking at the dads facebook (Tim belkis Salyer) I see the youngest three are adopted, and are bio siblings. The last two times the mom has called, and said I'm in labor want another kid? And they've taken them. Anastasia is 19 and I thibk Ashley is a year older so 20. Have to verify that somewhere tho

Aaaah, that makes so much sense! Ashley had something on her Instagram on her little sister's 12th birthday, and how she remembered when her mom told her she was pregnant with little sis after six years of trying. So it seemed super unlikely to me that they would go on to have three more children (especially after another 6-ish year gap). I do wonder if they are ATI/IBLP, since Gothard is so anti-adoption, or if they are another brand of fundie. I'll go check out some of these other links that have been posted. As always, excellent sleuthing, fellow FJers! :clap:

I found their church

facebook.com/WayOfLibertyChristianMinistry/photos_stream?ref=page_internal

Which creeps me out a bit. It's so easy to find people's info.

Sorry for double-posting, but I just HAD to comment on this. I followed your link and opened a random picture, and whaddayathink? It's from a Maxwell conference! :cracking-up:

I wonder how close they are to the duggars exactly. Close enough for Jinger to visit and stay with them? I highly highly doubt that would happen, but a girl can dream.

Jinger finds a way to live in New York for a brief period. I can see her enjoying walking around looking at everything and taking pictures if she actually likes photography. And there are plenty of cafes for her coffee fix!

Actually, she strikes me as the type to make cafes her hobby. A lot of people get up, run errands or whatever and then pick a new cafe to try like every day or every other day. I can easily see Jinger having a routine like that.

Seriously? That seems like a really expensive hobby.

Then again, I'm in grad school and everything seems like an expensive hobby :lol:

Seriously? That seems like a really expensive hobby.

Then again, I'm in grad school and everything seems like an expensive hobby :lol:

Lol it certainly is. But I guess if it's something you really want to do you can budget for it. Also people buy coffee every day. They don't have to try fancy things at every cafe. I think they just go to see how the coffee is and check you the "vibe." I don't drink coffee so I don't really know. :shrug:

Sorry, I'm not very familiar with these people, nor how the Bronx relates to NYC - I always thought places like the Bronx were more like suburbs. When I hear NYC I think of the main city, like downtown, and all I've ever heard is how insanely expensive it is to live there. Obviously I understand that there are plenty of poor people there, but I assumed that a family with 7 children must have money if they're able to live comfortably (which is seems they are from their instagram posts, but who knows) 'in NYC'. I'm sorry if my assumption was offensive.

New York City is comprised of five boroughs - Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island, the Bronx, and (in my humble opinion the best) Brooklyn. They're all part of the same city: they're divided that way because they used to be separate counties before being consolidated in the late 1890s. It's a unique form of Government that is odd for people not familiar with it to grasp at first.

Some people say New York City when specifically referring to Manhattan. Around here, a lot of people have started to refer to Manhattan as Manhattan and all five boroughs as New York City - because it puts the boroughs on equal footing in regards to importance, which is important because all the focus seems to constantly go to Manhattan.

Suburbs would refer to towns surrounding the city that isn't one of the five boroughs - for instance, towns on Long Island could be considered suburbs of New York City.

But yes, there are people of varying economic classes in the overall city. My Fiance spent most of his childhood in Brooklyn and his family had nothing when he was growing up. His parents were constantly being pressured by their Church (Catholic) to donate more money each week and were made to feel guilty when they didn't - but it was literally a choice between feeding their kids and donating more at some points. Left a really bad taste in their mouths and they stopped attending when they moved to my hometown.

This has been a PSA from the proud future wife of a New Yorker and life-long Southern New England resident - who naturally grew up in the city's shadow. Now back to your regular programming. :D

ETA: And I don't care what anyone says - DaVinci Pizzeria in Brooklyn is the greatest pizza of all time - OF ALL TIME I SAY!!!! :nenner:

Or--this is a radical idea, I know--Jinger could get a job, or go to school. Like the rest of us humans. :lol:

Or--this is a radical idea, I know--Jinger could get a job, or go to school. Like the rest of us humans. :lol:

Hahaha I certainly wasn't counting that out. But in this scenario she's just visiting with permission of boobchelle so they still might not allow her to get a job. Also if she's not living there then she would need to use the salyer's address and they probably wouldn't be cool with going behind her parents' backs.

But This is all hypothetical anyway so it doesn't really matter. Unfortunately. :(

New York City is comprised of five boroughs - Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island, the Bronx, and (in my humble opinion the best) Brooklyn. They're all part of the same city: they're divided that way because they used to be separate counties before being consolidated in the late 1890s. It's a unique form of Government that is odd for people not familiar with it to grasp at first.

Some people say New York City when specifically referring to Manhattan. Around here, a lot of people have started to refer to Manhattan as Manhattan and all five boroughs as New York City - because it puts the boroughs on equal footing in regards to importance, which is important because all the focus seems to constantly go to Manhattan.

Suburbs would refer to towns surrounding the city that isn't one of the five boroughs - for instance, towns on Long Island could be considered suburbs of New York City.

But yes, there are people of varying economic classes in the overall city. My Fiance spent most of his childhood in Brooklyn and his family had nothing when he was growing up. His parents were constantly being pressured by their Church (Catholic) to donate more money each week and were made to feel guilty when they didn't - but it was literally a choice between feeding their kids and donating more at some points. Left a really bad taste in their mouths and they stopped attending when they moved to my hometown.

This has been a PSA from the proud future wife of a New Yorker and life-long Southern New England resident - who naturally grew up in the city's shadow. Now back to your regular programming. :D

ETA: And I don't care what anyone says - DaVinci Pizzeria in Brooklyn is the greatest pizza of all time - OF ALL TIME I SAY!!!! :nenner:

Thank you! That was an awesome breakdown. So, would a family of 7 or 8 be able to live comfortably in the Bronx? Basically, my reference for a huge metropolis is Toronto. It would be very difficult for a family of 7 or 8 people to live comfortably in Toronto (vs. way out in a suburb). Families that large, and larger, of course live in the city, but usually not very comfortably. You have to have a lot of money to even get a small condo or attached home. I guess what I'm saying is that it would be very difficult for the typical ATI family, who usually live on a single income (and an income which generally isn't all that great) to get by in a place like that. I've heard that many neighbourhoods in and around NYC are undergoing gentrification and a lot of people are being pushed out... is that something that's happening in the Bronx, too?

If I ever find myself in Brooklyn, I will definitely visit DaVinci Pizzeria. :)

Thank you! That was an awesome breakdown. So, would a family of 7 or 8 be able to live comfortably in the Bronx? Basically, my reference for a huge metropolis is Toronto. It would be very difficult for a family of 7 or 8 people to live comfortably in Toronto (vs. way out in a suburb). Families that large, and larger, of course live in the city, but usually not very comfortably. You have to have a lot of money to even get a small condo or attached home. I guess what I'm saying is that it would be very difficult for the typical ATI family, who usually live on a single income (and an income which generally isn't all that great) to get by in a place like that. I've heard that many neighbourhoods in and around NYC are undergoing gentrification and a lot of people are being pushed out... is that something that's happening in the Bronx, too?

If I ever find myself in Brooklyn, I will definitely visit DaVinci Pizzeria. :)

I'm from Brooklyn, not the Bronx, so what I say can be taken with a grain of salt.

First off it would depend on your definition of comfortably. I don't think most fundie families live comfortably. They usually pack a lot of kids into a small space.

It would be very possible for them to afford a three bedroom on a single income. There are rent controlled apartments, and it old depend on the neighborhood. Not sending them to school saves money. Also we have plenty of thrift stores so they could easily only buy used clothes or even cheap clothes from other stores.

I don't remember if we know where he works, but if he has a city job he could have very good benefits which is a huge help. Or he could have another job that has good benefits.

As long as they're careful about it they can keep their kids fed and clothed and relatively safe. Also if they don't own a car that's a big money saver. Though that might disappear if they keep raising the metro card price. ><

Not sending them to school saves money. Also we have plenty of thrift stores so they could easily only buy used clothes or even cheap clothes from other stores.

I'm actually curious, how would not sending them to school save money? It would be cheaper than private school, of course, but public school is free, right?

With homeschooling you have to buy all books and supplies yourself, and that can get very expensive. Plus one parents has to stay home so you lose that extra income. (Not that both parents working would be an option in fundie families, but then neither would public school.) There are ways to do things without spending too much money (a lot of families I know copied and shared materials, which was technically illegal) but homeschooling is really difficult financially for a lot of families.

I think fundies could save a lot of money homeschooling. My guess is that they just reuse the materials. They don't care about their kids getting a good education so they don't need as much. You don't have to buy multiple sets of pens, paper,markers, etc. for each child for school, times 11. My mother was always having to replace my supplies as a kid because I went through them so fast and no one wants a worn down crayon. Kids don't need as many clothes if they would end up going to a public school that doesn't require a uniform. No one has to drive them and pick them up from school if the school is far away or there is no school bus. No money needed for field trips, bake sales or to order books from Scholastic. Don't have to pack them a school lunch because we know, even if fundies went to public school, they wouldn't sign up for a free lunch program. No kids wanting items that their friends at school have.

I think fundies could save a lot of money homeschooling. My guess is that they just reuse the materials. They don't care about their kids getting a good education so they don't need as much. You don't have to buy multiple sets of pens, paper,markers, etc. for each child for school, times 11. My mother was always having to replace my supplies as a kid because I went through them so fast and no one wants a worn down crayon. Kids don't need as many clothes if they would end up going to a public school that doesn't require a uniform. No one has to drive them and pick them up from school if the school is far away or there is no school bus. No money needed for field trips, bake sales or to order books from Scholastic. Don't have to pack them a school lunch because we know, even if fundies went to public school, they wouldn't sign up for a free lunch program. No kids wanting items that their friends at school have.

Yes all these reasons. Also they would have to buy SO MANY school supplies for all those kids. That would add up very quickly.

Yes all these reasons. Also they would have to buy SO MANY school supplies for all those kids. That would add up very quickly.

There's also the random stuff they come home from school needing for this or that. The other day my sister needed to go buy 6 different colors of play doh to make a brain model in Psychology the next day. Sure play doh is relatively cheap, but stuff like that can add up, especially if you have a ton of kids and are low income.

What's that number of children section for? Is that how many children they're currently babysitting, or how many they can babysit??? I cannot imagine babysitting 14 children along with your other 7. :pink-shock:

So mom works an approved job but what does dad do?

I guess he is a branch chief for the NYC. Dept of Probation, according to LinkedIn

Last year he made $72,791 according to see through NY, which lists the salaries of public employees. Mom probably brings in quite a bit with the childcare.

Last year he made $72,791 according to see through NY, which lists the salaries of public employees. Mom probably brings in quite a bit with the childcare.

Well with that salary and the daycare they met the cost of living calculator. It would seem like Nathan is marrying up.

I grew up in NYC, on Staten Island. For reference, in the late '90's my mom and I lived very much paycheck to paycheck on about $35,000 a year. It was just the two of us, but if my grandmother hadn't been able to help my mom with things like car repairs, we wouldn't have made it. I left the area as soon as I was old enough to legally do so, and was amazed at how much cheaper things like electricity and telephone service were in other places, not to mention rent.

With all those kids, I imagine money is very tight for these people living in that area, unless the daycare is very profitable. $72,000 a year is not a lot of money for NYC, even in the outer boroughs. I agree it's cheaper for them to homeschool. In my experience, there is a lot of pressure for kids to keep up with their peers in terms of clothes and stuff. More so than in other regions.

I should add that my mom has a BS in Early Childhood Ed, and she taught in preschools and daycares and never made more than $27,000 a year. Maybe an in-home daycare is more profitable, though? :shrug:

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived