IGNORED

Bates Family - Part 4

Coconut Flan

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else think it must be killing Jim Bob and Michelle that a Bates kid's father in law may soon be speaker of the house? I feel the jealousy burning. Alyssa really married well fundy wise. She has doors open to her now. For all we know, Webster may be grooming his son for a political job with all the money and advantages that come with it. I am not talking about an elected position but something that may build into something better. Although the lack of education may be an issue, Alyssa's husband would likely fair better and have more options due to his father's position.

Is this Chads big news?

batesfamilyblog.com/2015/09/a-future-in-furniture.html

I wouldn't be surprised. For one, he's definitely talented. For two, I think it eats away at the Bates that Chad doesn't depend on himself for a living :naughty:

Is this evidence of an ever so slight shift in the Bates' modesty standards? Looks like Carlin (I think, although the sunglasses obscure her face somewhat) is sleeveless in this pic, which is the first time I remember seeing that from a Bates girl in the house.

instagram.com/p/8EPAGrvffs/?taken-by=lawbates

Is this evidence of an ever so slight shift in the Bates' modesty standards? Looks like Carlin (I think, although the sunglasses obscure her face somewhat) is sleeveless in this pic, which is the first time I remember seeing that from a Bates girl in the house.

instagram.com/p/8EPAGrvffs/?taken-by=lawbates

The Duggars and Bateses have been pictured with fairly short sleeves like that before. Their standards have definitely changed. I think the girls' style these days is to go as short as they can get away with- skirts just below the knee and shoulders just covered. Alyssa's wedding dress was like that. (Although apparently, Whitney's dress was actually strapless, but she wore a jacket on top).

...My processional was Jeremiah Clarke's Trumpet Voluntary. ...

Recessional was "Hornpipe" from Georg Handel's Water Music though it was a tough choice between that and Widor's "Toccata".

We had the Trumpet Voluntary for our processional, too, but we went with Widor's 'Toccata' for our recessional. :-)

Canon in D is what I walked down the aisle to 11 years ago. So many were so flabbergasted that I didn't use the traditional song.

Same here, only it was 21 years ago. No one at our wedding was fussed about tradition; we were married in beautiful gardens that have a wildlife sanctuary attached, as well as a reception venue. The ceremony part was on a little jetty-type thing that had a gazebo on the end, so we were married above the water. Needless to say at the reception, we also had the evil drink, and that act of the devil himself, dancing :o

A boss I had for many years finally got married at 49 years old. Over the years she has a few long relationships but nothing ever worked out. Along with other reason, this became somewhat of a joke with friends, family and co-workers as it seemed she would never get married. (she came from a strong Italian family background, so she was constantly pressed to get married) She always took it in stride. When her wedding day finally came, as the bridal party walked out, they played traditional classical fare, but when she came out with her father the music switched to Etta James singing "At last". It was hilarious!

Anyone else think it must be killing Jim Bob and Michelle that a Bates kid's father in law may soon be speaker of the house? I feel the jealousy burning. Alyssa really married well fundy wise. She has doors open to her now. For all we know, Webster may be grooming his son for a political job with all the money and advantages that come with it. I am not talking about an elected position but something that may build into something better. Although the lack of education may be an issue, Alyssa's husband would likely fair better and have more options due to his father's position.

Regarding the bold....I've never understood how Dr. Paine and Daniel Webster could limit their children's educational opportunities. These men are educated and have used their educations to support their families but have limited their children to SOTDRT and their earning potential. Even Gil Bates who enjoyed participating in school sports denied his children those opportunities. I can't wrap my head around that. :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :pull-hair: :pull-hair:

I wouldn't be surprised. For one, he's definitely talented. For two, I think it eats away at the Bates that Chad doesn't depend on himself for a living :naughty:

Ellie from Bates Family Blog asked what they could name the possible business. One innocent leghumper suggestion:

Pleasure from Paine

:laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

Regarding the bold....I've never understood how Dr. Paine and Daniel Webster could limit their children's educational opportunities. These men are educated and have used their educations to support their families but have limited their children to SOTDRT and their earning potential. Even Gil Bates who enjoyed participating in school sports denied his children those opportunities. I can't wrap my head around that. :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :pull-hair: :pull-hair:

Didn't both Gil and Kelly get a real college education? The reason so many people like the Bates, Paines and Websters deprived their children of a good education was that their goal wasn't to create independent adults who are capable to making decisions on their own, their goal was to create little minions so that they could build an army for God.

The Duggars and Bateses have been pictured with fairly short sleeves like that before. Their standards have definitely changed. I think the girls' style these days is to go as short as they can get away with- skirts just below the knee and shoulders just covered. Alyssa's wedding dress was like that. (Although apparently, Whitney's dress was actually strapless, but she wore a jacket on top).

I noticed in the last ep of BUB, when they were performing at Dollywood, Carlin was wearing a skirt that was way above the knee with a pair of black leggings underneath. Their standards are definitely shifting.

Didn't both Gil and Kelly get a real college education? The reason so many people like the Bates, Paines and Websters deprived their children of a good education was that their goal wasn't to create independent adults who are capable to making decisions on their own, their goal was to create little minions so that they could build an army for God.

Yep! I believe both in education. I want to say on the episode of BUB when they were showing the kids doing school Kelly said she had a degree in special ed and Gil's was in physical ed.

I don't think we can really say that the Bates have deprived their kids of education. Yes, they were home schooled, but Michaela went to a local Community College, Erin, Nathan and Tori have gone to college. Kelly encouraged Trace to go to college. Zach must have some college credits, as I think that is required in order to go to Police Academy. I am not sure if Lawson has taken any college classes or not.

I think our objection is that we don't agree with type of education they have had, not that they haven't had a chance to become educated.

I imagine Kelly and Gil would discourage many school choices, but at least they do allow some. At some point, one of those kids will branch out to a less restrictive college.

I think Zach's graduation from the Police Academy is a good sign. If it was really a legit program, then he would have had to get all kinds of training in diversity and tolerance. He would have to be willing to serve the law, even if it contradicted his personal beliefs. He will see some seriously different lifestyles in that role. No doubt he will see the underbelly and dregs, but he may also work alongside men and women who could influence him positively away from the crazy train.

I'm pretty familiar with the Bates family and I've seen almost all the episodes of United Bates of America and and all their appearances on 19KAC. I know Gil is on the board of either ATI or IBLP, yada, yada. But, does anyone know if they are as outspoken against gays as the Duggars are, if at all? Anything in the way of statements made on their shows, social media posts against gay marriage or the like? I check their social media accounts from time to time and nothing stands out in my memory. I just watched two episodes of Bringing Up Bates and it really shocked me. The first episode I watched was the episode where they throw a surprise party for Gil's 50th birthday. I have EXCELLENT gaydar and was stunned when there was, what appeared to me to be a gay male couple at Gil's birthday party. I brushed it off and thought hey, they may be that naive or maybe that its 2015, even a super-fundie family like the Bates may just have friends who are gay. I didn't think much of it. Then the next episode I watched was when the family went to Dollywood and Dixie Stampede. After the show the whole family met and chatted with one of the cowboys. PING! Gaydar went off once again. I saw the cowboys social media account too, and boy, I feel defrauded and it didn't make me think my original gaydar ping was a fluke, quite the opposite. I found his profile through a Bates account. In the episode the cowboy was talking to a few of the older boys and after a minute or two Kelly Jo mentioned that the cowboy promised to come to the farm because some of the boys were interested in learning new tricks lmao. I don't want to elaborate but it was another WTF moment. Anyone else have thoughts on if the Bates are actually gay-haters, anti-homosexual activists?

**Edited for clarity and Riffles**

I don't recall any gay couple from Gil's party. I probably wasn't paying that much attention. I do think that they may have posted something about Biblical marriage or something, but I could be wrong. I think that Gil and Kelly would be gracious at the time, and no doubt love the sinner/hate the sin. But I don't think that right now, they are willing to jump on the Marriage Equality bandwagon. I see them more as the "Don't ask/Don't Tell" kind of people. They probably realize that some people they know are likely gay, but they just carry on like they really don't believe that.

Like it or not, we all know gay people and most of us are related to at least one person how is gay. Kelly and Gil must know some Gay/Lesbians, etc but I just think they probably 'overlook' it and act like it isn't happening.

I can't see them entertaining an openly gay, affectionate couple in their home. And if someone did wrangle an invite, with their sexuality unknown to Kelly and Gil, I imagine they would not be asked back again if they were to have been demonstrably affectionate with one another.

I think Kelly and Gil are warmer people but I think they are still hardliners when it comes to values and theology. They might be ok with Alyssa wearing pants, but they are not going to be happy if Lawson wears his Pirate outfit out to Fire Island and brings home a special friend.

There was no affection between the men or any touching. I just saw them standing together a few times and thought whoa, those guys are gay. At the same time as they were on screen standing together one of the boys was narrating/doing a voiceover and mentioned that some of Gil's "wrestling buddies" had come to the party and I laughed out loud. It reminded me of those times on 19KAC when they would edit it just so, where if you had a snarky thought on your mind the editing would amplify it, but if you were completely naive to something or a fundie you wouldn't notice it in the slightest. I can't think of a specific example aside from Anna calling the vibrating baby seat 'the vibrator'. I know there were others.

I agree with you! I do think Lawson was a hard worker before TV but the all the attention has gone to his head. Maybe he deserves a little break after supporting his family, but he's incredibly foolish if he's dropped a successful lawn care business in favor of TV fame. It's not going to last forever and his style of country music is too outdated for a lucrative recording contract. I believe he's going to have the most difficulty adjusting to the real world after the show ends.

To be fair, summer is a pretty dead time for landscaping and lawn care. There's not much more than mowing to be done and if the weather is dry, there's not even much of that. The really busy time is spring, that's when you do all the planting. Things pick up a bit in the fall, depending on the climate and then it's dead again through the winter.

I worked at a nursery in high school and summer was dull and boring. There's one brief period, usually just a single overnight, when you get all the poinsettas rooted and into the greenhouse to start the process to get them to bloom at Christmas. But I doubt Lawson is doing that.

He's been able to contribute a decent amount of cash to his family, so he must be doing something.

I entered a secular college an extremely sheltered fundie, and while it was scary and I wanted to cry at first, it did me a world of good. Gil and Kelly did Erin no favors by discouraging her from accepting the scholarship because of fears over things like sitting next to a person with green hair. They knew that if Erin was exposed to people and beliefs that she wasn't used to there is a good chance she would start viewing things differently, and they didn't want that. They didn't want her to question the way she was raised.

Was living in a dorm a shock? I can't imagine what that would be like for a sheltered fundie, with all the drinking and overnight visitors of the opposite sex, the late hours, etc. I can see how it was good for you in the long run, but the initial culture shock must have been overwhelming.

What if Erin had a conversation with that green-haired person and s/he turned out to be a good, kind person? They can't take that kind of risk. Think of all the different kinds of people she would meet and how she would find out that most of them are friendly, basically normal people who are happy living their secular lives. They're raised to believe that everyone outside the bubble is a horrible, desperately unhappy sinner. And just think of all the new ideas she would be exposed to in class and I'm not even talking about evolution. I mean things like Psych 101 or economic theory. What about questions where they're not a clear yes/no, right/wrong answer, there are different views and theories and the students learn about the different views and what supports each view. If I'm not mistaken, there's none of that in the wisdom booklets.

I think Lawson could probably eek out a living with his music. No he won't be the next Luke Bryan, but he would have appeal to a more old time audience. He could probably find work doing a blue grass/country thing at Dollywood or Silver Dollar City.

The thing that will hold him back isn't a lack of talent, because lets face it, Talent isn't always the key to success in the music business, but it will be that his weird fundie belief system will hold him back from being able to really work with people in the music business who he could learn from. He shouldn't be starting off as a solo star. He should be honing his guitar skills and taking jobs in other's bands, and learning from them. But as I doubt he would be allowed to play in a bar, or work closely with women, His options are pretty limited.

I think Lawson was probably very responsible as a teen, but I think his new found fame is working against him in terms of being a hardworker. Though he is 23, which chronologically is old enough to have some wisdom, he, like most of his fundie peers is still fairly immature for his age. Maybe he will grow out of it.

And musicians are usually listening to every kind of music. There's an interview with Freddie Mercury from Queen and he starts talking about how much he loves a particular opera singer and how much he's been listening to her music (they later recorded together).

There's a singer/songwriter that I just love, Josh Ritter. He's often referred to as the new Dylan or the new Springsteen. A few years ago, an interviewer asked him what music he was listening to and he said Ludacris. Not an answer anyone expected.

What answer would Lawson give if someone asked him what music he was listening to or what music influenced him?

I'm pretty familiar with the Bates family and I've seen almost all the episodes of United Bates of America and and all their appearances on 19KAC. I know Gil is on the board of either ATI or IBLP, yada, yada. But, does anyone know if they are as outspoken against gays as the Duggars are, if at all? Anything in the way of statements made on their shows, social media posts against gay marriage or the like? I check their social media accounts from time to time and nothing stands out in my memory. I just watched two episodes of Bringing Up Bates and it really shocked me. The first episode I watched was the episode where they throw a surprise party for Gil's 50th birthday. I have EXCELLENT gaydar and was stunned when there was, what appeared to me to be a gay male couple at Gil's birthday party. I brushed it off and thought hey, they may be that naive or maybe that its 2015, even a super-fundie family like the Bates may just have friends who are gay. I didn't think much of it. Then the next episode I watched was when the family went to Dollywood and Dixie Stampede. After the show the whole family met and chatted with one of the cowboys. PING! Gaydar went off once again. I saw the cowboys social media account too, and boy, I feel defrauded and it didn't make me think my original gaydar ping was a fluke, quite the opposite. I found his profile through a Bates account. In the episode the cowboy was talking to a few of the older boys and after a minute or two Kelly Jo mentioned that the cowboy promised to come to the farm because some of the boys were interested in learning new tricks lmao. I don't want to elaborate but it was another WTF moment. Anyone else have thoughts on if the Bates are actually gay-haters, anti-homosexual activists?

**Edited for clarity and Riffles**

You don't get to be on the IBLP BoD if you are pro-gay people. You won't even get to be on the BoD if you believe in equal rights for women! So that should tell you exactly what you need to know about the Bates and their beliefs.

And musicians are usually listening to every kind of music. There's an interview with Freddie Mercury from Queen and he starts talking about how much he loves a particular opera singer and how much he's been listening to her music (they later recorded together).

There's a singer/songwriter that I just love, Josh Ritter. He's often referred to as the new Dylan or the new Springsteen. A few years ago, an interviewer asked him what music he was listening to and he said Ludacris. Not an answer anyone expected.

What answer would Lawson give if someone asked him what music he was listening to or what music influenced him?

If I had to guess, Hank Williams, Glen Campbell, maybe a little Johnny Cash if he wants to be a bit rebellious. And all of those artists are great, but if you want to make music that really stands out, you can't just imitate the greats of your chosen genre; you have to find influence from lots of different artists and forms of music. Heck, towards the end of his life, Johnny Cash worked with Rick Rubin (who's famous for working with hip hop acts like the Beastie Boys and Public Enemy) and covered songs by Nine Inch Nails and Depeche Mode - not the sorts of artists you'd associate with Johnny Cash. I think Lawson could have a future as a Christian country singer if he makes songs that bring something new to the table; he's handsome and fairly charismatic (which certainly hasn't hurt acts like Hunter Hayes or Luke Bryan), seems to play the guitar decently, and with some voice coaching, wouldn't be too shabby of a singer, but songs like Freedom Sure Ain't Free are pretty indistinguishable from the other eighty bajillion MURICA FUCK YEAH songs on country radio today.

Call me when he writes a country song based on the Book of Revelation or starts taking inspiration from Sigur Ros or Tyler The Creator; then I'll be intrigued to see the direction of his career.

If I had to guess, Hank Williams, Glen Campbell, maybe a little Johnny Cash if he wants to be a bit rebellious. And all of those artists are great, but if you want to make music that really stands out, you can't just imitate the greats of your chosen genre; you have to find influence from lots of different artists and forms of music. Heck, towards the end of his life, Johnny Cash worked with Rick Rubin (who's famous for working with hip hop acts like the Beastie Boys and Public Enemy) and covered songs by Nine Inch Nails and Depeche Mode - not the sorts of artists you'd associate with Johnny Cash. I think Lawson could have a future as a Christian country singer if he makes songs that bring something new to the table; he's handsome and fairly charismatic (which certainly hasn't hurt acts like Hunter Hayes or Luke Bryan), seems to play the guitar decently, and with some voice coaching, wouldn't be too shabby of a singer, but songs like Freedom Sure Ain't Free are pretty indistinguishable from the other eighty bajillion MURICA FUCK YEAH songs on country radio today.

Call me when he writes a country song based on the Book of Revelation or starts taking inspiration from Sigur Ros or Tyler The Creator; then I'll be intrigued to see the direction of his career.

Marty Robbins and Roy Rogers, let's be real

Marty Robbins and Roy Rogers, let's be real

Or the New Main Street Singers.

(Please tell me I'm not the only one here who's seen A Mighty Wind)

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived