IGNORED

Bates Family - Part 4

Coconut Flan

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to this he likes Carrie Underwood.

familybates.tumblr.com/post/105478631357/name-william-lawson-bates-birthday-july-27

If my memory serves me correctly, all that information used to be on UPTV website.

I'm not even going to give him Marty Robbins. I'm going with Roy Rogers and Gene Autry.

You know things are weird when Marty Robbins is too edgy. I did see a video of Lawson happily singing "Rocky Top" and he had no problem with the lyrics about wild women and moonshine, but maybe he doesn't think too hard about what the lyrics mean. Of course he doesn't think too hard about what the lyrics mean. :angry-banghead:

You know things are weird when Marty Robbins is too edgy. I did see a video of Lawson happily singing "Rocky Top" and he had no problem with the lyrics about wild women and moonshine, but maybe he doesn't think too hard about what the lyrics mean. Of course he doesn't think too hard about what the lyrics mean. :angry-banghead:

Moonshine is just when the moon glows in the night sky all pretty-like, silly! And Grey Goose is just a bird!

Moonshine is just when the moon glows in the night sky all pretty-like, silly! And Grey Goose is just a bird!

I want to hear them explain how they drink corn from a jar. :lol:

riffle

And wild women are the ones who kiss before marriage.

Switching Bateses - Michaela and Brandon have a new post up on their blog. Interesting how they allude to "some major changes that will be coming our direction" - sounds like a veiled reference to IBLP moving to Texas. And it sounds like Michaela is absolutely loving married life (not sure if she or Brandon wrote the post, or they did it together). Good for her for getting out of AND away from the compound. She won't be wearing pants like Alyssa will anytime soon, and although she's closer to the IBLP mothership, at least she's not a sister-mom anymore (until she becomes a real mom, probably all too soon). Here is the link from their blog:

brandonlovesmichaela.com/2015/09/24/5394/

I watched the latest episode and I almost peed myself with laughter when Gill and the kids tricked Kelly into going on a roller coater and they have audio of her yelling “I’m going to Kill you, I’m going to Kill you...†as they zip around the track. :laughing-rolling:

To be clear I think this is a horrible thing to do to a person. I myself am afraid of heights and I stick to kiddy roller coasters. :naughty:

Was Bradley with them? What did you see or hear?

They just passed by quickly. Unfortunately there wasn't a line so they didn't have to stop near me.

I probably wouldn't have noticed of the girl I was with hadn't pointed them out because I was getting ready to go.

I was stuck home sick and finally caught up with season 2 of bringing up bates. Has anyone else notice how distant Erin and Alyssa seem? In the the premiere when Alyssa walks in, Erin says something like "how are you, you look nice." And Alyssa thanks her awkwardly as if they're old friends from high school.

Then in the season finale when Alyssa meets baby Carson she says "am I allowed to hold him?"

Idk just weird to me. I have sisters and that encountered seemed very awkward. They never post photos with one another. Also when Carson and Allie Jane were born they both didn't congratulate one another on Instagram... But everyone else did. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it. They do seem to be polar opposites, Im just wondering am I the only one who noticed?

I was stuck home sick and finally caught up with season 2 of bringing up bates. Has anyone else notice how distant Erin and Alyssa seem? In the the premiere when Alyssa walks in, Erin says something like "how are you, you look nice." And Alyssa thanks her awkwardly as if they're old friends from high school.

Then in the season finale when Alyssa meets baby Carson she says "am I allowed to hold him?"

Idk just weird to me. I have sisters and that encountered seemed very awkward. They never post photos with one another. Also when Carson and Allie Jane were born they both didn't congratulate one another on Instagram... But everyone else did. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it. They do seem to be polar opposites, Im just wondering am I the only one who noticed?

Yes. Actually I just feel like Alyssa is kind of awkward /cold with all of them. Like in the first episode when she announced her pregnancy no one really hugged her at first and the whole scene struck me as weird. Also her hesitance to have the girls come down and visit when Allie was born seemed odd. When they visited her in Florida she said they couldn't visit for several months and I remember one of the girls being like "but I'm your sister!"

I think that there's a lot of evidence to suggest that Alyssa didn't thrive or was rather stressed out or wasn't fully happy in a chaotic large family. I think that's who she is. They've said before that Alyssa takes after her grandmother and loves order and neatness. Alyssa was one of the first fundie children to openly state that she did not want a family as large as her mother's. In a large family, some kids will thrive in the environment...and others will not. I know an environment like that would have stressed me out incredibly because I NEED alone time and quiet. Chaos overstimulates me and makes me grumpy very quickly. I think Alyssa was the same way.

I think she kept sweet while she was at home (because she was forced to) and buried those emotions, but was not happy in that environment and got out as soon as she could. Once she got out, I think everything that she kept buried came bubbling to the surface.

I think Alyssa loves her family, but this is a time of adjustment for everyone. I think Alyssa is working through the negative emotions towards her family that she kept inside. I think her family is working through the hurt of finding out that Alyssa, who I am sure they love very much, was so unhappy for so long. And I think Alyssa is insisting on boundaries (such as WHEN her siblings are welcome to visit en masse), which is a totally foreign concept to many of the Bates children.

I think it's an adjustment for everyone, and everyone is dealing with it differently. While boundaries seem so normal to us, to many of the Bates children, they don't understand WHY she is enacting them when she is their sister (a relationship they have been pretty much taught is boundary free). It's possible that Erin doesn't agree with how Alyssa is handling this and perhaps they have had arguments because of this. Remember that Erin and Chad were the perfect fundie couple, were taught that following these rules would guarantee them a blessed and perfect life, and then struggled with infertility. Meanwhile, Alyssa moved very quickly into courtship and marriage, immediately left behind many of the rules they were raised with, and still got pregnant right away. I can't imagine Erin WASN'T angry at the situation, and may have taken it out on Alyssa.

What I'm trying to say is, if any of our sisters got married, moved away, set new boundaries, and revealed that they were miserable under our parents' roof....we would have dealt with it without issue. But Gil and Kelly have denied their children the experience and context to have close relationships with ANYONE who lives a different way than they do. So these kids don't know how to deal with their sister being perfectly normal.

I watched the latest episode and I almost peed myself with laughter when Gill and the kids tricked Kelly into going on a roller coater and they have audio of her yelling “I’m going to Kill you, I’m going to Kill you...†as they zip around the track. :laughing-rolling:

To be clear I think this is a horrible thing to do to a person. I myself am afraid of heights and I stick to kiddy roller coasters. :naughty:

Anybody else notice there's a theme of fundie men getting a hoot out of forcing their wimmin's to do stuff that scares them? Smuganna and the ferris wheel, Jack Ass and Mullet in the hot air balloon, Gil and Kelly in the coaster...

I feel like there is often this expectation out there that siblings will be 'best friends' and super close but it doesn't always work out that way. It's not often anyone else's fault, but simply because of the old 'you can choose your friends but you can't choose your family' adage. The thing about siblings is that you're just thrown together and expected to be close, but you may be totally different people who'd never choose to be friends if not related. In many cases, you love them and care about them as family, but they're never going to be your BFF.

I see that a bit with Erin and Alyssa, the same way I see it with my brother. We care about each other and would do anything for each other since we are family, but we don't have much to say to each other because we just have nothing in common, are completely different people who are opposites in every imaginable way and if we were not related, we'd never have chosen each other as a friend. Our conversations are very much just asking each other how work/school is going and superficial stuff about the weather.

There's nothing wrong with that, except with the people who seem to think you HAVE to be best friends with your sibling. Unless there is something going on behind the scenes we are not privy to, get the impression Erin and Alyssa love each other as family but at not super close BFF types who are going to make each other friendship bracelets. Alyssa seems to be better friends with John's sisters than her own, and that happens. She seems to have a bit more in common with them. Sometimes you need to look outside your own family to find the type of people you connect best with.

I think that there's a lot of evidence to suggest that Alyssa didn't thrive or was rather stressed out or wasn't fully happy in a chaotic large family. I think that's who she is. They've said before that Alyssa takes after her grandmother and loves order and neatness. Alyssa was one of the first fundie children to openly state that she did not want a family as large as her mother's. In a large family, some kids will thrive in the environment...and others will not. I know an environment like that would have stressed me out incredibly because I NEED alone time and quiet. Chaos overstimulates me and makes me grumpy very quickly. I think Alyssa was the same way.

I think she kept sweet while she was at home (because she was forced to) and buried those emotions, but was not happy in that environment and got out as soon as she could. Once she got out, I think everything that she kept buried came bubbling to the surface.

I think Alyssa loves her family, but this is a time of adjustment for everyone. I think Alyssa is working through the negative emotions towards her family that she kept inside. I think her family is working through the hurt of finding out that Alyssa, who I am sure they love very much, was so unhappy for so long. And I think Alyssa is insisting on boundaries (such as WHEN her siblings are welcome to visit en masse), which is a totally foreign concept to many of the Bates children.

I agree with this.

I'm someone who would have been miserable in such a large family. I couldn't stand having one roommate for the first year of University because I couldn't get the alone time I need, so I can't even imagine what it would have been like crammed into that tiny post madeover house with more siblings than I could count on my fingers. Alyssa strikes me as a non-shy introvert, much like myself. We can talk to people just fine, we just also need our alone time and we don't care a lot for small talk and having our boundaries challenged by people who take it personally that we just want to be by ourself for a while.

Not everyone is going to have the personality that loves spontaneity and chaos and tons of people around. Some people, like Alyssa and I, like nice, quiet order. Just the way we were born.

I think Alyssa loves her family and cares for them deeply, but didn't enjoy living with them. And that's normal.

Anybody else notice there's a theme of fundie men getting a hoot out of forcing their wimmin's to do stuff that scares them? Smuganna and the ferris wheel, Jack Ass and Mullet in the hot air balloon, Gil and Kelly in the coaster...

For sure. I want to add Ben forcing Jessa to collect roses from all these random people during her freaking proposal to that list. FTR, I think it would have been completely fine if he just hadn't realized that would bother Jessa. But he explicitly says he's trying to teach Jessa to be more open to approaching strangers or something along those lines.

For sure. I want to add Ben forcing Jessa to collect roses from all these random people during her freaking proposal to that list. FTR, I think it would have been completely fine if he just hadn't realized that would bother Jessa. But he explicitly says he's trying to teach Jessa to be more open to approaching strangers or something along those lines.

To be fair, Jessa had to collect them from places where people were not from THEM if I recall correctly. It seemed like the only thing botherin Jessa was having to get that roses from places where other people were in front of filming cameras. It looked like the whole ordeal made her feel extremely uncomfortable. She'd have prospered from not having this filmed but getting some time in a talking head to explain and tell people, I guess.

I agree with this.

I'm someone who would have been miserable in such a large family. I couldn't stand having one roommate for the first year of University because I couldn't get the alone time I need, so I can't even imagine what it would have been like crammed into that tiny post madeover house with more siblings than I could count on my fingers. Alyssa strikes me as a non-shy introvert, much like myself. We can talk to people just fine, we just also need our alone time and we don't care a lot for small talk and having our boundaries challenged by people who take it personally that we just want to be by ourself for a while.

Not everyone is going to have the personality that loves spontaneity and chaos and tons of people around. Some people, like Alyssa and I, like nice, quiet order. Just the way we were born.

I think Alyssa loves her family and cares for them deeply, but didn't enjoy living with them. And that's normal.

Yet another non-shy introvert! I like people fine, I like going to social events, but if I had to be around people all the time 24/7 with little boundaries or privacy, I'd go insane. I've had to end friendships with people who just refused to respect my boundaries and would act like it was a personal affront when I didn't want to spend an hour on the phone talking about nothing, or hang out all the time. I purposefully shelled out a little more on my housing for grad school because I've lived with roommates, and while I liked them, I was considered "weird" for wanting more alone time than they did. So now I have a studio and love it! No one bothers me and I can go hang out with my friends when I want to! If I lived in a family like the Bateses or the Duggars, I'd be begging the camera crew to get me the hell out.

Is anybody noticing that BUB episodes are basically copycats of 19KAC episodes?

Is anybody noticing that BUB episodes are basically copycats of 19KAC episodes?

Bringing Up Bates: All the fun of the Duggars, with hopefully none of the incest!

It doesn't surprise me, though. I think it's all about power and control. The macho head of the family makes the women do things they don't want to because HE controls the family. Don't be scared meek little wife, I'll protect you because a man.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived