IGNORED

Bates Family - Part 4

Coconut Flan

I grew up in NYC, on Staten Island. For reference, in the late '90's my mom and I lived very much paycheck to paycheck on about $35,000 a year. It was just the two of us, but if my grandmother hadn't been able to help my mom with things like car repairs, we wouldn't have made it. I left the area as soon as I was old enough to legally do so, and was amazed at how much cheaper things like electricity and telephone service were in other places, not to mention rent.

With all those kids, I imagine money is very tight for these people living in that area, unless the daycare is very profitable. $72,000 a year is not a lot of money for NYC, even in the outer boroughs. I agree it's cheaper for them to homeschool. In my experience, there is a lot of pressure for kids to keep up with their peers in terms of clothes and stuff. More so than in other regions.

I should add that my mom has a BS in Early Childhood Ed, and she taught in preschools and daycares and never made more than $27,000 a year. Maybe an in-home daycare is more profitable, though? :shrug:

I think the 72,000 plus whatever extra money they get from the daycare is enough to let them live comfortably. It's not easy, but I think if they're the type of people that are good with money it is very possible. If they've always been good at saving then they don't have to worry about living paycheck to paycheck. Also depending on how much money it brings in they can use the daycare money to pay for things like groceries, and use money that would have been spend from the dad's paycheck towards savings. Or vice versa. That extra little bit can go a long way

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Using the MIT cost of living calculator for Bronx, with two working adults and 7 kids you need to make $38 an hour. Taking 72,000 and dividing it by 2080 hours that's a little over $34 an hour. That means mom only needs to bring in $4 an hour babysitting. And to be honest they don't need to make that much because I didn't do the math to remove things like child care that they wouldn't need.

Also, they seem to be really musical. They must be relatively comfortable if they can afford all those instruments (and lessons?).

Also, if their family has been living there for a while they might have a good rent stabilized place. You'd be surprised at how inexpensive rent can be if you're lucky with your timing.

What's that number of children section for? Is that how many children they're currently babysitting, or how many they can babysit??? I cannot imagine babysitting 14 children along with your other 7. :pink-shock:

Don't know what the number indicates, but it's not like they have 7 children of their own that need to be taken care of. The eldest is married with children of her own, and Ashley and Anastasia are 18/19 and 20. The next youngest is 12. There's really only three children of theirs that need babysitting, and I am sure the 12-year-old helps along with the two adult daughters still at home, at least part-time.

Also, they seem to be really musical. They must be relatively comfortable if they can afford all those instruments (and lessons?).

Also, if their family has been living there for a while they might have a good rent stabilized place. You'd be surprised at how inexpensive rent can be if you're lucky with your timing.

Well they are ATI...possibly IBLP...so grifting is part of their culture. Never assume any of these people pay anything at face value like the rest of us.

Well, they're very good looking, which seems to count for a lot in that world. And if they actually live in NYC, they must have money...

I can attest that this is true. When Lawson was preparing to go to the Phillipines a while back I noticed a photo he posted on his instagram of him in the lobby of an apartment building. I thought to myself that it looked a lot like the Eldorado in NYC. I wasn't sure as I haven't been in that part of the building. Anyways, the photo he just posted of him and Nathan with the family in NYC is labeled as Central Park West and 90th which is exactly where the Eldorado is located. I don't know exactly who lives here, but Lawson definitely wanted the location of the photo he took with the family to be known, and he's posted photos in this building twice.

https://instagram.com/p/8mLO04Pfeu/?taken-at=14992061

https://instagram.com/p/zgtkmLvfcA/?taken-by=lawbates

250px-The_Eldorado_Apartments.jpg

The Eldorado is an insanely luxurious building and has price tags to match. Even the rules to buy a an apartment there are strict. Prices range from a few million for a 1-2 bedroom apartment to 10-20 million for an apartment with 3 or more bedrooms. Oh and get this, only 50% of the cost of the apartment can be financed. You've got to bring 50% of the cost in cash to buy it. In addition to the purchase price, monthly maintenance/co-op fees run 5-20K per month!

Current and past residents of the building include Alec Baldwin, Bono, Bruce Willis, Ron Howard, Richard Dreyfus, Michael J. Fox, Meredith Viera, Marilyn Monroe, Faye Dunaway, Marlo Thomas, Phil Donahue, Moby... and several others I can't remember...

I'm a bit of a NYC real estate fanatic and and an apartment in the Eldorado is my less than likely lottery pipe dream purchase.

Ah, bugger. I just noticed that Lawson tagged Juju Chang in that photo. I'm assuming it must be her apartment. I'm still wondering why Lawson has visited there twice...

Ah, bugger. I just noticed that Lawson tagged Juju Chang in that photo. I'm assuming it must be her apartment. I'm still wondering why Lawson has visited there twice...

https://instagram.com/p/7_yIikNBO-/?tak ... juchangabc

This gets weirder and weirder. I noticed that Kelly commented on the photo of Nathan and Lawson with JuJu Chang's family and thanked her for being such an inspiration and positive influence on her kids. I figured perhaps JuJu had supported the kids' missionary work or was perhaps a "friend in Christ" or something. After looking through JuJu's instagram and doing a google search to verify I discovered that JuJu Chang is Jewish.

I can't help but think to myself and laugh that when she interviewd the family that maybe JuJu Chang politely, but halfheartedly told the Bates kids to visit her if they were ever in NYC and now they do LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

When I saw your post Purposing I thought it might be Juju's apartment. Ashley's family is in the Bronx. I'm surprised that Katie and Josie got to go to NYC with only their 2 older brothers. That would never happen in Duggarland. Ma or Pa Duggar would insist on tagging along. The Bates do seem to trust their kids a lot more. Now if only they would drop all those crazy beliefs and let their kids live their own lives.

Has it been established that her family lives in an apartment building? They could very well own a house which would make it much easier to have 6 kids at home.

I posted this earlier but I guess no one noticed:

"Last year Ashley & Anastasia did a fundraising campaign to go on an Indian mission trip. [the campaign only raised $200]

The website includes their home address in the Bronx.

https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/0sNnc"

I'm not going to openly post the address here, but with it, you can see the home in Google Earth & also see it on Zillow.

I'm kind of horrified by the idea of cramming a day care center into this home!

I posted this earlier but I guess no one noticed:

"Last year Ashley & Anastasia did a fundraising campaign to go on an Indian mission trip. [the campaign only raised $200]

The website includes their home address in the Bronx.

https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/0sNnc"

I'm not going to openly post the address here, but with it, you can see the home in Google Earth & also see it on Zillow.

I'm kind of horrified by the idea of cramming a day care center into this home!

Sorry, I did see your post earlier but didn't have time to look it up then and forgot to go back. Yeah, that space is too small for a large family and much too small to include a daycare. Hope they're planning on buying a bigger place now.

Sorry, I did see your post earlier but didn't have time to look it up then and forgot to go back. Yeah, that space is too small for a large family and much too small to include a daycare. Hope they're planning on buying a bigger place now.

It is possible they own the lower apartment. They could use that space for the daycare exclusively. Idk how we would find that out though.

Thank you! That was an awesome breakdown. So, would a family of 7 or 8 be able to live comfortably in the Bronx? Basically, my reference for a huge metropolis is Toronto. It would be very difficult for a family of 7 or 8 people to live comfortably in Toronto (vs. way out in a suburb). Families that large, and larger, of course live in the city, but usually not very comfortably. You have to have a lot of money to even get a small condo or attached home. I guess what I'm saying is that it would be very difficult for the typical ATI family, who usually live on a single income (and an income which generally isn't all that great) to get by in a place like that. I've heard that many neighbourhoods in and around NYC are undergoing gentrification and a lot of people are being pushed out... is that something that's happening in the Bronx, too?

If I ever find myself in Brooklyn, I will definitely visit DaVinci Pizzeria. :)

You're welcome! And yes, absolutely go to DaVinci's if you visit Brooklyn - that pizza is like a glorious cascade of sensations on your tongue - think rainbows, happiness, and all that's good in the world! :lol:

You're welcome! And yes, absolutely go to DaVinci's if you visit Brooklyn - that pizza is like a glorious cascade of sensations on your tongue - think rainbows, happiness, and all that's good in the world! :lol:

How is it possible that I lived on 18th Ave for a year and never heard of DaVinci's? Now I need to make a special trip back to Brooklyn just to go there.

How is it possible that I lived on 18th Ave for a year and never heard of DaVinci's? Now I need to make a special trip back to Brooklyn just to go there.

I've lived in Brooklyn all my life and even went to school kind of near there and have never heard of it. I'm interested in trying it, but I know nothing can beat out L&B for my favorite pizza. :nenner:

It is possible they own the lower apartment. They could use that space for the daycare exclusively. Idk how we would find that out though.

The home is up for sale. It says there is a licensed daycare in the basement and a large backyard. I would assume that would be a selling point(the zoning or the ability to have a daycare in the city?). I've seen lots of creative living situations in Utah. A 3 level townhome with a yard could be doable. Much better then living in an RV. I've seen plenty of people have 4-5 kids in small townhomes here with no basement or yard. After day care hours, older kids could sleep in the basement, and 2-3 kids per bedroom isn't horrible. I have 2 kids and we have 6-7 bedrooms and we would be happy to live in a small place to live near a big city with more to do.

It looks like the stand to make a good profit on the home but I guess with NYC real estate going up so fast in cost unless they are moving out of the area, they won't gain too much space by moving.

Maybe they want to get out of the city and move to an area with a lower cost of living where they can get more bang for their buck. Or maybe the dad's job got transferred and they have to move.

I dont know if the Bateses trust the kids more than the Duggars as the females still need chaperone's.THey still havent been as many places as the Duggars.

I dont know if the Bateses trust the kids more than the Duggars as the females still need chaperone's.THey still havent been as many places as the Duggars.

Didn't they let Jana go on a mission trip overseas and she just had to bring John David along? Back when they met the Hartonos?

It's a really nice house, and the neighborhood looks nice, too. Maybe the square footage doesn't include the basement or something? I also wonder why they're moving, though they could probably get more for their money in the suburbs. It can't be that easy to move a daycare business. Many of the parents probably chose to send their kids their because it was convenient for them.

Speaking of Bates dating, did you see the picture on the Bates Instagram of Tori, Trace, and one of Tori's Crown College classmates, Devonna, all dressed up & headed to a U of Tennessee football game? Might that be a chaperoned "date"?

Speaking of Bates dating, did you see the picture on the Bates Instagram of Tori, Trace, and one of Tori's Crown College classmates, Devonna, all dressed up & headed to a U of Tennessee football game? Might that be a chaperoned "date"?

I think the girl is just a friend of the family, in her twitter(https://twitter.com/devonna_killin) you can see she even was there to watch the finale of the bates tvshow with them.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but nice family photo, including Ashley with Nathan at someplace called Parrot Mountain.

instagram.com/p/8wDFZasbtd/

4c3bee0fa890029f01cdc7f89f6b184c.jpg

So when is Nathan going to get social media access? Haha. I wonder if they're still just courting or if they're already engaged. It's hard to tell now that they have a reality show contract. The Bates courtships so far, on the whole, seem to last a little longer than average for fundies, though. I think Zach and Whitney's was the fastest, but they didn't have a traditional fundie courtship.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived