IGNORED

TLC Documentary on Sexual Abuse

Escapefromfundiedom

Whatever result TLC wanted from airing this, I doubt they got it. They are getting slammed on their FB page for including the Duggars.

As to the special not having commercials, I figure it's the same reason that The Day After didn't have commercials after the nuclear bombing sequence. The producers knew that no advertiser would want to be associated with such carnage, so they didn't even try.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take it the girls didn't acknowledge they were molested, or use that term specifically. Did M acknowledge that she used poor judgement and that's why there were five victims instead of one?

I'm not watching it, but I'm guessing other CSA victims are actually saying what was done to them. Opening themselves up. Sounds like the Duggars just had a pleasant day at the seminar. Doesn't sound like they opened themselves up like the other survivors. Am I wrong?

You are right.

with a HUGE ass smile on her face. :angry-banghead: Then she remembered it was a serious, bad topic and then she got her fake sincere scowl face on then ended with a stupid grin.

Jessa had a wide smile, too.

IKR? Barf.

So, Jill and Jessa never talked about the fact they were victims (I didn't watch, just reading here)? What was the point of including them if they weren't going to talk?

because they are the next generation

and because they think we dont know what is really going on

THEY ARE ALL INSANE

I guess this confirms the duggar sighting in NY just before the Joshely Maddison revelation. I'm really surprised they didnt edit them out, they didnt add anything...

I'd like that hour of my life back. TLC just washed their hands of the whole situation by airing this BS. They really could have done a serious piece but we all know what we're dealing with. They did their "good deed" and now they're on to finding their next circus sideshow to pimp.

I guess this confirms the duggar sighting in NY just before the Joshely Maddison revelation. I'm really surprised they didnt edit them out, they didnt add anything...

I'd like that hour of my life back. TLC just washed their hands of the whole situation by airing this BS. They really could have done a serious piece but we all know what we're dealing with. They did their "good deed" and now they're on to finding their next circus sideshow to pimp.

Thanks for recapping, Buzzard! It sounds like it was not just a matter of the Duggars having nothing of substance to add, but they negatively impacted the show. I checked TLC's Facebook page and people are angry they included the Duggars. It seems several people refused to watch who would have watched other wise.

So are they at all going to go into sexual abusers who are minors and how to deal with them? Or does TLC want to pretend that that wasn't the main issue with the Duggars?

No mention was made except about another 15 year old abuser who had a lot of actual consequences. It was maybe 5 seconds worth.

I can't help feeling that the best thing about this show was that anyone with a brain would be hit over the head, again and again, by the five acknowledged survivors talking about their abusers, while the Duggars are there just "to learn."

I imagine they may have had something in their agreement to do this special that said they would not acknowledge anything about their own abuse situation.

Um, Duggars, we all know who the abuser was in your family, and you just make yourselves seem even more dishonest by not including yourselves with the people who have experienced this and talk openly about it.

I am also glad that 4 out of the 5 survivors did not go on and on about forgiving their abuser. I never understand the use of that word. I understand working to get past one's own rage and pain, and not letting that person still rule one's emotions. But I never understand using the word "forgive" for that process.

And that's the end of my trying to find a bit of silver lining in this crappy cloud. I agree with those who've said that the Duggars seem to have twisted the message "you are not alone -- this has happened to others," which many abuse victims need to hear, and turned it into "see -- everybody does it -- our Joshy is not so bad!" :angry-banghead:

There was no reason to have the Duggars there. They did not share their stories or offer any real insights. The seminar they were at was designed to be informative, but they acted like they were still just figuring all this stuff out.....after all these years. And, yes, very scripted and with a smile.

I saw something about an American family that's vaguely redneck claiming they are royal family of the Isle of Mann and a fat woman who dances.

So, they've already found their sideshows.

Overall, I don't imagine too many people watched the show. Erin's law is important....and I think also pediatricians should educate parents about safe touching.....very definitely and with good information. It should be repeated at all well child check ups. Repeat, repeat.

Again, seeing MooChelle was just disgusting. Crazy cult lady. So annoying.

Michelle had no business speaking on this subject. Fuck TLC for having her on as if she wasn't an enabler and fuck Michelle Duggar.

Reward her for leaving her girls u protected, TLC. Give her credibility after what she allowed to happen to "the others."

I suspect Michelle was there to ensure that Jill and Jessa said nothing about what happened to them....even if they were remotely tempted to offer up a bit of information about their family, which I doubt they would ever do.

^^^this. So much this.

A sad abrupt attempt at band-aiding am ugly situation.

Thank you for the recap.

What was the Duggar's motivation for even participating in this? Money?

Yes.

And they were, apparently, trying to pitch a show to TLC where they go around counseling abuse victims.

I'm guessing they saw this as a launching off point.

I can't help feeling that the best thing about this show was that anyone with a brain would be hit over the head, again and again, by the five acknowledged survivors talking about their abusers, while the Duggars are there just "to learn."

I imagine they may have had something in their agreement to do this special that said they would not acknowledge anything about their own abuse situation.

Um, Duggars, we all know who the abuser was in your family, and you just make yourselves seem even more dishonest by not including yourselves with the people who have experienced this and talk openly about it.

I am also glad that 4 out of the 5 survivors did not go on and on about forgiving their abuser. I never understand the use of that word. I understand working to get past one's own rage and pain, and not letting that person still rule one's emotions. But I never understand using the word "forgive" for that process.

And that's the end of my trying to find a bit of silver lining in this crappy cloud. I agree with those who've said that the Duggars seem to have twisted the message "you are not alone -- this has happened to others," which many abuse victims need to hear, and turned it into "see -- everybody does it -- our Joshy is not so bad!" :angry-banghead:

The Duggars involvement has tainted the brave and honest voices sharing their stories of abuse. I knew this would happen, which is why I refused to watch it.

I expect all anybody will talk about on social media is what the Duggars said.

That's happening on TLC's FB page. Can't see much on Twitter about it yet.

I really appreciate Buzzard transcribing the documentary. I thought reading it wouldn't be as triggering. But I'm still very angry.

Did they mention if all of their abused children got counseling? Were they at the seminar, too? (I don't want to know who they are. I just want to know if they got professional help.) And I really wonder about the 5th victim, if she got help. This has to be so traumatic for her, I'd think.

The Duggars had a very small part. The part they did have was sort of a non-sequitur as the show was about different people that are actively involved in doing stuff about child sexual abuse--Erin, the contractor dude from Atlanta, the Muslim girl, the little girl from Canada--The show was about them, their activism, and their healing journey---not the Duggars. And then suddenly they have the 3 Duggars speak about safeguards in the home.

In my opinion, the Duggars should not have been involved in the show at all. It was validating the TTH lockdown methods.

Another issue is that the show was not that informative. The message seemed to be CSA happens a lot. Abusers will threaten to hurt you if you tell. People will believe you if you tell, except when they don't, but tell anyway. Erin's law is awesome (although I didn't exactly catch what Erin's law actually is). Tell your kids that touching where your bathing suit covers is bad. And, apparently most important, limit opportunities for abuse by----vague stuff about babysitters, but the Duggars girls definitely agree--safeguards.

What was the Duggar's motivation for even participating in this? Money?

I would imagine it was to show us all how seriously they take this subject.

I think it had the opposite effect, since they acted like it had never touched their lives.

The Duggars involvement has tainted the brave and honest voices sharing their stories of abuse. I knew this would happen, which is why I refused to watch it.

I expect all anybody will talk about on social media is what the Duggars said.

That's happening on TLC's FB page. Can't see much on Twitter about it yet.

I really appreciate Buzzard transcribing the documentary. I thought reading it wouldn't be as triggering. But I'm still very angry.

And this is another reason it was such a bad idea to include them; it's counter productive to Eryn Merryn's goal of raising awareness. The focus of people and the media (when they pick this up) isn't/won't be on what it should.

The fact of MooChelle being there is so incongruous. She and JB are the worst kind of parents....they did nothing and allowed Smuggs to abuse the girls again and again. So idiotic to have them there.

OH NO MICHELLE'S BABY VOICE. "I'm so glad my girls and I were able to do this together, to be a support and encouragement to each other, such an important topic"

GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK!!

:wtf:

It bothers me that there is so much focus on Jill and Jessa in all of this (by the media/TLC). Two other sisters were victims. They need to be getting help.

Yes, but their identities are private so the media cannot talk about them. Although they are not underage so they should be allowed to participate in whatever they wish.

Haven't caught up yet...

As a survivor this was hard. I found myself forgetting to breathe. It was very hard to watch.

Wonder if the Duggar liars who lie assumed this was the same tone as their former "ministry"...(yuck, I need a shower.) That might explain the lack of "getting it" and the dumb smiles. I may have yelled at my tv a little...

I bet they won't watch this, and if the do- I'm pretty sure they only got " it's normal y'all!" and "forgiveness!1!! And Safeguardzzz!" out of it.

Thank you to the other people willing to share their stories of strength, pain and healing. I appreciate how hard that can be.

Well the vitriol on the TLC Facebook page towards the Duggies was something to see. Wow. A lot of disgust going on there towards them.

Archived