IGNORED

TLC Documentary on Sexual Abuse

Escapefromfundiedom

Am I reading this right? It will feature Jill and Jessa? :pink-shock::pink-shock:

http://www.people.com/article/tlc-child ... first-look

"Viewers will also hear from experts during a sexual abuse prevention training given by Darkness to Light, one of the nation's leading organizations for abuse prevention, where Jill and Jessa Duggar attend following their own family's experience as they hope to help others and promote adult education for the protection of children . "

So the two girls who went on national TV and refused to call their abuser an abuser, who minimized what he did in every possible way are collaborating with the network that by all accounts probably *knew* at least something of the truth and helped cover it up and foist this disgusting family on the American public for the better part of a decade...to bring us a documentary to talk about childhood sexual abuse.

Yeah...this sounds like an excellent plan. What could possibly go wrong?

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will show Jill and Jessa "attending a training"? I find this sort of mysterious. They will be in an audience of attendees.

I'm sure through the years JB and Chellie so minimized what Josh did that Jill and Jessa ultimately had very confused opinions in their own minds about the experience. They are not taught, as in they are nearly prevented from, any sort of independent critical thinking. By their parents.

edit: typos

I was really hoping this wouldn't actually happen. I don't see any good coming out of this - Jill and Jessa weren't raised to be open minded about differing points of view and they aren't exactly subtle about it (not necessarily a bad thing, but given what they stated about their own experiences with sexual assault...)

All I hope is that they don't say anything seriously harmful to others who have survived attacks.

All I hope is that they don't say anything seriously harmful to others who have survived attacks.

I agree.

I hope statements like "It's your fault this happened"; "It's because you don't follow Jesus"; "You need to follow Jesus to be forgiven" or "Your abuse wasn't abuse / wasn't that bad" EVER come out of either of their mouths.

I agree.

I hope statements like "It's your fault this happened"; "It's because you don't follow Jesus"; "You need to follow Jesus to be forgiven" or "Your abuse wasn't abuse / wasn't that bad" EVER come out of either of their mouths.

There's the perennial favorite: "Everything happens for a reason."

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Yes, TLC announced this back when they cancelled the Duggar's show. I found this interesting: "In an exclusive First Look clip from the one-hour special Erin Merryn opens up about being a two-time survivor and discusses her passionate fight to end abuse with Erin's Law legislation, which requires sexual abuse prevention education in public schools and has already been passed in 26 states."

Maybe if the Duggars had attended school they would have been able to benefit from this law.

"where Jill and Jessa Duggar attend following their own family's experience as they hope to help others and promote adult education for the protection of children . "

I'm a little lost here as to what sort of advice they could promote - be sure to build a house big enough to separate the boys into one wing and the girls into another?

I can't imagine they'd advocate telling anyone BUT a parent.

this is going to be a train wreck :trainwreck:

I think it'll be an interesting watch, from the Duggar standpoint, since it isn't their show, and it'll have a different format, so it'll be interesting to see how the girls interact with things and deal with listening to other people's experiences and learn from that.

Chances are that the Duggar girls will only be on for a tiny bit of time. They could be just using them as a draw to get viewers.

Would anyone watch if it wasn't promising some Duggar drama?

They might even be used as examples about denial after abuse.

Chances are that the Duggar girls will only be on for a tiny bit of time. They could be just using them as a draw to get viewers.

Would anyone watch if it wasn't promising some Duggar drama?

They might even be used as examples about denial after abuse.

yes that part of Psychology has always interested me.

Depending on my work schedule, mental fortitude, and if I have cable by then, I might.

Will anyone be live-commenting this? I don't have cable and TLC hasn't figured out how to live-stream yet.

I think Buzzard had offered?

Duggar Family Official

March 30 at 12:30pm ·

Our friend Erin Merryn went through a lot of tragic abuse growing up, but thankfully she received Christian counseling and over the last few years she has become an advocate to encourage public schools to provide resources to teach young people about the danger of sexual abuse. Please watch her 700 club interview and ask your State Representative to pass Erin's Law in your state.

m.facebook.com/duggarfamilyofficial/posts/628161163984203

I believe that many of you agree with me on this point and some of you have brought it up, but it's been bothering me since the lie-a-thon happened and I just want to bring it up again. My biggest problem with the way the Duggars (especially Jill and Jessa) have responded to all of this is that they have been spreading misinformation about the nature of sexual abuse and how it should be dealt with.

The most upsetting thing for me was when Jill said that she plans on raising her children with the "safeguards" that her parents enforced.

There is so much wrong with that that I can't even begin to list all the issues. I wish that this would be discussed more. I hope they address it in the special, though it's doubtful.

I hope someone tells Jill on this special that these "safegurads" are fucking ridiculous and they will fuck up her children emotionally.

I hope someone tells Jill that there are women offenders, too.

And that locking their kids in their rooms at night so they don't molest each other is a bandaid solution.

And that you shouldn't lock your kids in their rooms to begin with, especially as a "safeguard" against sexual abuse.

I hope she finds out that "defrauding" your own brother or father or uncle isn't something little girls should be worried about, nor should they take responsibility for sexual abuse.

Sad as it is, the Duggars have a lot of fans who look up to them and will mirror their actions in their lives. I wouldn't be surprised if some unfortunate viewers started enforcing "safeguards" in their home because of the lie-a-thon.

You are absolutely correct, Ari_belle.

In my mind-the safeguards are exactly the reason why the show had to be cancelled. They are doing absolutely everything wrong and very few people seem to understand that it is wrong.

I do not understand why they have not been subjected to more criticism for these safeguards and attitudes about defrauding.

Archived