IGNORED

TLC Documentary on Sexual Abuse

Escapefromfundiedom

And unlike every other TLC episode ever, it's only airing once with no repeats. I guess they only feel obligated to air it to make up for all the past bullshit. They don't feel obligated to make sure anyone ever actually sees it.

Which is exactly the reason I'm not watching it.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which is exactly the reason I'm not watching it.

I'm tempted to watch a version that someone uploaded to YouTube but I'd rather just let someone recap it for me, seeing as I'd rather watch the Human Centipede than watch the Megyn Kelly interviews again...and remember how those turned out?

I'm tempted to watch a version that someone uploaded to YouTube but I'd rather just let someone recap it for me, seeing as I'd rather watch the Human Centipede than watch the Megyn Kelly interviews again...and remember how those turned out?

I was actually riveted, while watching the Human Centipede. Watching the Megyn Kelly interviews, not so much.

I don't have cable so just have to hope someone uploads it online. I'm mildly curious as to how they're going to handle it but not itching to see it or anything. I find most sexual abuse awareness type things to be really predictable and provide the same information I've heard hundreds of times. For instance, my school just began requiring all students to complete a sexual assault online program, and it just stated things like, "No always means no," and "There are sexual assault hotlines available to you...here are the numbers." Great for the people who aren't already educated on the topic, but not all that worth my personal time.

I set this turd to record. I have a feeling it is going to be very triggering.

I have my DVR set to record the special too; I am curious to see it. I didn't realize that they are only showing the special once! That totally shows that they only made the special to claim that they care about sexual abuse victims...so sad!

I've set the DVR as well but what I'm really anticipating is reading what you all have to say, then what the tabloids have to say, and most of all what your opinion is of those comments. I think I'm getting addicted to snark it's been a few days since the last big development.

I have heard something like 1 out of 4 women experienced sexual abuse as children--but that certainly does not mean 2/3 of families. In my entire life, I have only met one person that was abused by a sibling. Wait scratch that. I also know 1 person who admitted to abusing his sister who was almost the same age as him when he was 12. Ok so 2 families out of the thousands of people I have known throughout my life.

I realize that this is something that people do not talk about but 2/3???

I'm a survivor of sibling incest. You know three now. :lol:

Seriously, though, once I started talking about my sibling incest, a lot of people disclosed their own to me. Most of the women I know disclosed some type of childhood sexual abuse. This breaks my heart, but this is the reality. There is so much stigma attached to incest especially, that it's rarely disclosed despite it being fairly common...according to experts. And of the types of incest that occur, sibling incest is apparently the most common.

I talk openly about my experiences in an attempt to educate people, because there is so much misinformation out there. Incest and CSA crosses all religious, socioeconomic, and cultural divides. For instance, I came from an upper middle class family and my folks were very well respected members of the community. We were a secular family, four kids and parents stayed married. And there has been incest in three generations of my family that I know of. I'm the first to break the silence and speak up, and I was scapegoated and gaslit for it. But it didn't stop me from owning my truth and advocating on behalf of other victims.

By the way, I will not watch the documentary tonight because of the Duggars inclusion. I won't put myself through it. Their minimizing and excusing their own abuse was very triggering for me and others. I try to be careful and not judge them. I know they're still living in the cult that nurtured and enabled the abuse in the first place. And I feel very badly that TLC and the advocacy groups involved in this documentary (RAINN, Darkness to Light and Erin's Law) are willing to exploit their infamy to get support for their causes. When the cause becomes more important than the people who it's supposed to protect, that's really effed up. I'm very disappointed in these groups. I do support their movements, but I don't support the documentary.

Ironically enough, I tried to address my concerns to Erin. She blocked me. I was not trolling either. My comments were sincere, and I told her I supported her cause as a survivor. But she still slammed me quite rudely. I didn't take it on, though. That's about her, and my concerns were legitimate and should have been shown respect, imo. I've since found out she is friends with the Duggars, so, that explains some of her hostility. (And it wasn't just me she blocked. There were a few survivors. Such a shame.)

Regardless, I hope the Duggars don't play a big role in this documentary, because I do feel their message will be harmful to survivors and their families. I just don't buy they've had a complete change of heart in a couple of months, especially since they are still in that cult. It took me 20 years of intensive therapy and deprogramming to be free of all the gaslighting I'd been hit with.

I will look at Buzzard's transcripts, though. Thanks for doing that, Buzzard.

I find it interesting that there hasn't been any promotions on their social media pages about the special. I guess they just want to keep pretending like none of this every happened.

Seriously, though, once I started talking about my sibling incest, a lot of people disclosed their own to me. Most of the women I know disclosed some type of childhood sexual abuse. This breaks my heart, but this is the reality. There is so much stigma attached to incest especially, that it's rarely disclosed despite it being fairly common...according to experts. And of the types of incest that occur, sibling incest is apparently the most common.

I talk openly about my experiences in an attempt to educate people, because there is so much misinformation out there. Incest and CSA crosses all religious, socioeconomic, and cultural divides. For instance, I came from an upper middle class family and my folks were very well respected members of the community. We were a secular family, four kids and parents stayed married. And there has been incest in three generations of my family that I know of. I'm the first to break the silence and speak up, and I was scapegoated and gaslit for it. But it didn't stop me from owning my truth and advocating on behalf of other victims.

By the way, I will not watch the documentary tonight because of the Duggars inclusion. I won't put myself through it. Their minimizing and excusing their own abuse was very triggering for me and others. I try to be careful and not judge them. I know they're still living in the cult that nurtured and enabled the abuse in the first place. And I feel very badly that TLC and the advocacy groups involved in this documentary (RAINN, Darkness to Light and Erin's Law) are willing to exploit their infamy to get support for their causes. When the cause becomes more important than the people who it's supposed to protect, that's really effed up. I'm very disappointed in these groups. I do support their movements, but I don't support the documentary.

Ironically enough, I tried to address my concerns to Erin. She blocked me. I was not trolling either. My comments were sincere, and I told her I supported her cause as a survivor. But she still slammed me quite rudely. I didn't take it on, though. That's about her, and my concerns were legitimate and should have been shown respect, imo. I've since found out she is friends with the Duggars, so, that explains some of her hostility. (And it wasn't just me she blocked. There were a few survivors. Such a shame.)

Regardless, I hope the Duggars don't play a big role in this documentary, because I do feel their message will be harmful to survivors and their families. I just don't buy they've had a complete change of heart in a couple of months, especially since they are still in that cult. It took me 20 years of intensive therapy and deprogramming to be free of all the gaslighting I'd been hit with.

I'm glad you're free. Someone dear to me has stopped therapy because of the horrible, abusive thing her psychiatrist said in a session.

Spoiler text for something horrible, triggering, and hopefully private to non-members. (But maybe it's not? I know there was some kind of formatting I wasn't able to read before I joined FJ.)

He asked her if she didn't tell her parents (she was under six at the time) because didn't she enjoy it, even a teensy weensy bit?

I was shocked and horrified and furious for her. I tried to get her to report the guy for malpractice, but she thinks she would just be victimized all over again, with her private business being spread even more publicly if there were some sort of inquiry.

She says she can never trust another therapist, ever again.

I'm sick. Just sick.

I'm glad you're free. Someone dear to me has stopped therapy because of the horrible, abusive thing her psychiatrist said in a session.

Spoiler text for something horrible, triggering, and hopefully private to non-members. (But maybe it's not? I know there was some kind of formatting I wasn't able to read before I joined FJ.)

He asked her if she didn't tell her parents (she was under six at the time) because didn't she enjoy it, even a teensy weensy bit?

I was shocked and horrified and furious for her. I tried to get her to report the guy for malpractice, but she thinks she would just be victimized all over again, with her private business being spread even more publicly if there were some sort of inquiry.

She says she can never trust another therapist, ever again.

I'm sick. Just sick.

That is horrifying. He should be reported and his license revoked.

I understand her fear, too, refugee. Trust is a huge issue for survivors, and the therapist/patient relationship should be a safe place. Maybe she could report him anonymously.

Such a shame, because there are good therapists out there. I hope she can get to a place where she trusts enough to reach out.

Is this something that can be watched on their web site? If not I guess they wont put it up there or on youtube or anywhere else, if they are only showing it once?

The documentary is only running once and is on at midnight here? MTN time zone with PST TLC feed here.

Who watches TLC at midnight. Seems like they don't want high numbers.

I don't plan on watching because it'll probably really, really triggering. I don't understand why Jill and Jessa had to be included, after the Megyn Kelly fiasco.

I am, however, looking forward to Buzzard's recap! :D :cracking-up:

The documentary is only running once and is on at midnight here? MTN time zone with PST TLC feed here.

Who watches TLC at midnight. Seems like they don't want high numbers.

They're running it after a marathon of shows no one watches... in a bad slot... I'm thinking this is somewhat obligatory to air it to say they can wash their hands of the whole mess. I honestly dont think they want anyone to see it. I'll be very curious to see what commercials they play.

I am so sorry that happened to you, and I'm so sorry that your bravery in coming forward with the truth was met hostility. I have found the most unlikely people with cowards when it comes to this topic and it's easier for them to discredit the messenger than to address the abuse.

You are brave and you deserved protection and justice and I am angry for you and everyone else who suffered the same didn't get it.

Are there any books you recommend on the subject of dealing with the aftermath of this? I'm very wary of going down a non-constructive rabbit hole but I have a real need to learn about this.

I am grateful that I am not a victim. But someone very close to me was and I have been unable to forgive those who knew and did nothing. Those who were angry that it was acknowledged rather than being angry it happened. I need to know why. Why victims forgive, why they can still love the abuser and hide it for years, why otherwise good and decent - loving family members could know and still allow the abuser to be part of the family. To allow kids to develop family ties with people only to be told later and not expect that to shatter.

I'm looking for a decent source which explains how people cope and explain some of the (to me) inexplicable ability to compartmentalize it. Book, website, studies...anything.

I did not mean to make this about me - but when you said you educate others I was hoping it would be okay to ask.

It's supposed to run commercial free.

I plan to watch tonight. I'm in a very fortunate situation that this is not a personal trigger for me and my heart goes out to all those for whom this is a trigger. I hope Jessa and Jill do not somehow make it all worse. I was not happy with their interview with Megyn Kelly at all. I feel that they were minimizing, and excusing Josh.

My children really want to watch. They are aware of all that has happened, but are kind of young and I don't know what to expect. I'll tape it and decide whether or not to let them watch tomorrow.

So who is taking the bullet for all of us and watching? I just can't.

I'll be watching and posting a recap/summary. I'm not going to write out every word because I dont think this is a snarkable topic, but there will be enough to get the jist of it.

TLC is running commercials now, linking people to

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/tlc-presents/be-the-voice/

(not breaking the link because TLC better damn well know who we are and that we're watching them)

The page isnt well put together...

I'll be watching and posting a recap/summary. I'm not going to write out every word because I dont think this is a snarkable topic, but there will be enough to get the jist of it.

(not breaking the link because TLC better damn well know who we are and that we're watching them)

Thank you for doing this.

Ugg. That page hurts my eyes. The multiple changes in font size and color drive me nuts.

Thanks for recapping for us Buzzard! I'm looking forward to reading it. I've set my DVR to record it, but I'm not sure if I actually want to watch it.

I'm watching -- Jill just spoke in the intro. "This kind of thing happens in other families all the time!" This is going to be a disaster.

Archived