IGNORED

All THINGS DILLARD - Part 3

happy atheist

The Dillard Bunch? :ew: (sorry, stupid name)

I'm in the camp that believes Jill isn't pregnant yet, only because she hasn't said something. Look how quickly she said something before? Plus, I bet she'd love having positive attention on herself again. She is Jill, after all.

Looking at those new pictures that have been posted, Derick's face looks SO different now. (And who takes 1 year anniversary photos? They look awful on top of it.

11261678_10153924560098356_3014519037232349693_n.jpg?oh=ffd3a5b5b5193ec45a6858b43d533b63&oe=561C9A91

My goodness Derick looks rough in that recent picture. Why would he have that palate surgery? I think he's gone full fundie-mental.

ETA: If I didn't "know" him from the show and saw him walking down the street toward me, I would probably avoid making eye contact. He just looks off.

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I can see the effect of the orthodontics. That should sort itself out eventually... But his face shape may be different after they widen his pallet and whatever else.

The hair situation is another story entirely.

True story, this is one of the biggest reasons I mostly wear maxi dresses and skirts now. I'm 5'6" (so about Jill's height) and normally a size 8 or so. After I eat, all bets are off - my tummy can barely swell or make me look like I'm in my second trimester (and no, I have never been pregnant either) :lol:

Oh me too, and I think the thinner you are the more pronounced that effect. When I was at my thinnest I could drink a glass of water and see the difference in my stomach. If I've had a lot to eat or drink I can look very pregnant.

Personally I think Derick went from adorably dorky and a good match for Jill to creepy, really creepy. There is something very off putting about his smile now. I hope Jill is fine with the changes and just as much in love as ever but what a strange thing to go through. In their first year of marriage Jill had to get used to Derick's new face and Derick had to get used to her new body.

I was curious about why a vaginal birth is contraindicated once a woman has gone through a c-section (I Google-fu'd it and still can't find good information, except, reading between the lines, maybe if your body couldn't achieve it the first time, it's unlikely to be able to do it the next time unless the baby made it difficult by being breech the first time? If I'm off, I'd love to know) and found this list given by Baby Center as to when a woman is less likely to have a successful VBAC:

• Being an older mom
  • Being overweight
  • Having a baby with a high birth weight (over 4,000 grams, about 8.8 pounds)
  • Having your pregnancy go beyond 40 weeks of gestation
  • Having a short time between pregnancies (18 months or less)

What struck me was the last one. If Jill gets pregnant right away, she's reducing her chances of being able to have a VBAC. I wonder if she knows that.

I was curious about why a vaginal birth is contraindicated once a woman has gone through a c-section (I Google-fu'd it and still can't find good information, except, reading between the lines, maybe if your body couldn't achieve it the first time, it's unlikely to be able to do it the next time unless the baby made it difficult by being breech the first time? If I'm off, I'd love to know) and found this list given by Baby Center as to when a woman is less likely to have a successful VBAC:

• Being an older mom
  • Being overweight
  • Having a baby with a high birth weight (over 4,000 grams, about 8.8 pounds)
  • Having your pregnancy go beyond 40 weeks of gestation
  • Having a short time between pregnancies (18 months or less)

What struck me was the last one. If Jill gets pregnant right away, she's reducing her chances of being able to have a VBAC. I wonder if she knows that.

And of course her first pregnancy went over 40 weeks and she had a high birth weight baby. If either or both of those things happen again next time, her goose may be pretty much cooked.

The main risk to a woman during a VBAC is uterine rupture.

Thanks. Is that because the uterine structure is compromised by having been cut during the c-section?

I think I can see the effect of the orthodontics. That should sort itself out eventually... But his face shape may be different after they widen his pallet and whatever else.

The hair situation is another story entirely.

The hair definitely contributes to how different he looks. I wonder if his face and head hurt too much to have someone touch it and cut it. I've had points after getting my braces tightened (as an adult) that brushing my hair was painful. And least that would help explain the crazy hair look.

The hair definitely contributes to how different he looks. I wonder if his face and head hurt too much to have someone touch it and cut it. I've had points after getting my braces tightened (as an adult) that brushing my hair was painful. And least that would help explain the crazy hair look.

Sgt. Pepper's Derick's teeth are moving around, so his facial structure will change over time and he will look different.

He may be Penny Pinching in terms of hair cuts - ministry work, does it pay well?

This is one of the engagement/wedding invite photos. She was so slender. Wonder if she'll ever see that body again.

https://instagram.com/p/mks1QbGlbZ/?taken-by=duggarfam

Maybe, more likely not (exactly). Being pregnant and having a baby changes a woman's body. That's natural and it's a shame that some women mourn the loss of their girlish figure. I think the wider hips and softer figure should be worn as a matter of pride. "I survived pregnancy and child birth, and now I'm too damn busy to worry about fitting into my high school clothes."

I think the younger you are, and the more you focus on your body and trying to return to your pre-pregnancy shape, then the chances are greater you will lose the pregnancy weight. But your hips gave birth. My mom had 8 kids and she is only 5'2" but she had a cute figure well into her early 70's. Me, I had one and I'm still working on getting back to pre-pregnancy weight (probably not gonna happen, since it's been 17 years). Good news - I don't give a flying fig.

Currently, using Jessa as an example, as she is famous, she needs to stick to her beliefs because I'm guessing she links them to her success: could be a reward or maybe it's their "ministry" so there is no impetus to explore new views. It's her brand. It's gotten her this far, so why change.

Currently, using Jessa as an example, as she is famous, she needs to stick to her beliefs because I'm guessing she links them to her success: could be a reward or maybe it's their "ministry" so there is no impetus to explore new views. It's her brand. It's gotten her this far, so why change.

My father was the perfect fundie son. He was "generous" and "Godly" and was just perfect. His problem was that he had to keep up this persona. He became an atheist, but stayed in the closest his whole adult life. His children (me) were raised as fundie children re the blind obedience, long dresses etc. But we were raised as closet atheists/fake fundamentalists. We were taught to be really good liars to maintain his image. We had to memorise prayers, hymns and various forms of grace for when we visited his relatives. We had to live out HIS lie so he could keep HIS reputation of being the perfect fundie son.

My father's reputation as the perfect Godly son meant more than anything.... he didn't even consider how it was messing with our minds and our ability to establish relationship/trust with grandparents, aunts and cousins. We were so scared of saying or doing something that would expose him (and get us punished). My father was like Jim Bob in that we children were used as props. I remember being a teenager at a big family dinner function, and my aunt asked me if girls should stay at home until marriage. I said, that I thought it was OK to leave home after age 21. Wrong answer. Everyone at the table screamed at me for what an ungrateful, evil child I was and what a cruel thing to say to my Loving Father. He just sat there, pretending to look hurt and shocked and appalled at my outrageous comment, while I sat there with tears running down my cheeks, not knowing how to fix my error.

I left home at 18 and got reproachful letters from my grandmother for the rest of her life. She just couldn't see beyond the Perfect Son persona, so I had to be the wayward, ungrateful child. There was no other explanation for me leaving home, except that I was Bad (the real reason was actually to escape the abuse).

My father was a lot like Jim Bob, notably the need to keep proving to the outside world how perfect he is.

If any of the Duggar kids ever left the cult, they could well do it in secret. Keep their brand, accept the accolades for how perfect they are, and then just teach their kids to lie and fake it. A normal person would think this is a risky strategy, but it really isn't. if you threaten your kids enough, they will lie for you forever. Public humiliation on international TV and the internet is a pretty effective threat to keep a Duggar kid/grandkid silent about parental hypocrisy. My father became a closet atheist and fooled everyone for his entire life. I can see at least one, probably more, of the 19 Duggar kids going in that direction, perhaps Jill and Jana.

BTW, the child I fear most for is the one who let slip to the police that she was hit with a rod. Letting that out is WORST because it reflects on JB and M as perfect parents. All the rest can be explained away as Josh's mistake.

Whoa. I am so sorry that you had to go through that, but thank you for sharing your story here. I am glad that you got out and hope that your life has improved!

There's been a lot of talk about who might be the Duggar to "break free", and here I had never considered that one might fake it their whole lives. That possibility is so desperately sad. :cry:

(edited because I originally messed up the quoted material)

My goodness Derick looks rough in that recent picture. Why would he have that palate surgery? I think he's gone full fundie-mental.

ETA: If I didn't "know" him from the show and saw him walking down the street toward me, I would probably avoid making eye contact. He just looks off.

I think his hair looks better now, but I like scruffy men. That guy with the bow tie would get nowhere with me. Apart from the totally understandable exhaustion and the facial changes, he just looks more relaxed than in the first photo. Maybe Jill doesn't have time to dress him anymore.

He looks weird now, but I think Derrick is going to look a LOT better that the 1.0 version once all the dental work is done. But he need a hair cut. A professional one.

I think his hair looks better now, but I like scruffy men. That guy with the bow tie would get nowhere with me. Apart from the totally understandable exhaustion and the facial changes, he just looks more relaxed than in the first photo. Maybe Jill doesn't have time to dress him anymore.

I agree. I don't think there have been as many changes as people think. Yes, the surgery will likely change his face a bit - I think the main differences are (like you said) the fact that he's probably pretty tired (understandably), his hair is much shaggier (which I don't think looks bad), and he seems a bit more relaxed. . . all of which can change easily.

And I know you didn't mention it, but other people did - as for Jill's body she gave birth recently. Who cares what she looks like as long as she and Izzy are happy and healthy.

Something I was thinking about re: Nepal, would Derick actually be stupid enough to move his family to Nepal to do "mission/volunteer work" when braces on his teeth? There is no way I'd move to a country like that. Braces need to be tightened/maintained, and while I don't know much about Nepal's system there, I'd think moving to a foreign country like that would be really frowned upon.

Something I was thinking about re: Nepal, would Derick actually be stupid enough to move his family to Nepal to do "mission/volunteer work" when braces on his teeth? There is no way I'd move to a country like that. Braces need to be tightened/maintained, and while I don't know much about Nepal's system there, I'd think moving to a foreign country like that would be really frowned upon.

Someone recently posted a list of modern Orthodontists in Nepal. They are a developing nation, but don't seem to lack orthodontists.

The oral surgery could need follow up for about six months, too. And he's likely on a liquid/soft food diet during the first two months post-op, maybe longer.

I'm pretty sure radar got that from here--we discussed it in a couple of threads--but it didn't make it to the main Jill thread until yesterday, I think.

Sorry I didn't see it in the Jill and Derick thread.

Yeah, that thread gets bogged down with body shaming and other nonsense. :roll:

Archived