IGNORED

19 Kids & Counting Pulled From Line-Up/Show Future - Merge

nomoxian

TLC will test their viewers and then decide what to do with the show, and JB will have to deal with it, as he is dealing with all this other stuff coming out. He may have been able to control his family, his local authorities, and who knows what, but he won't be able to control a billion dollar network editorial choices.

That is why I think TLC is going to stay mum on this until September. When September rolls around, TLC will probably announce they are bringing the show back--including Josh. Chaos from the public will ensue, and they won't know what to do... and Jim Bob will make threats and raise hell. That is why I am very interested in seeing how TLC is going to handle this. Again, I believe the only reason they are keeping quiet right now is because they already suggested continuing on without Josh and Jim Bob stomped his feet & wouldn't have it so now they are trying to pacify him to reach some sort of compromise that Jim Bob will agree to.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion, the Duggars themselves should pull the plug. How can they possibly think the show can go on? Let's say they got the all clear to continue with it. Would they address this situation or pretend it never happened?

Around the time they got TLC to pay for and finish the TTH and they started going on lavish trips and quite obviously no longer buying used (iphones, macbooks, etc) I would have thought that with such a humble mindset they would end the show. But no, they went full steam ahead exploiting the kids as much as possible.

Well they hit the brick wall.

That is why I think TLC is going to stay mum on this until September. When September rolls around, TLC will probably announce they are bringing the show back--including Josh. Chaos from the public will ensue, and they won't know what to do... and Jim Bob will make threats and raise hell. That is why I am very interested in seeing how TLC is going to handle this. Again, I believe the only reason they are keeping quiet right now is because they already suggested continuing on without Josh and Jim Bob stomped his feet & wouldn't have it so now they are trying to pacify him to reach some sort of compromise that Jim Bob will agree to.

But really, what kind of influence does Boob have over TLC after all this? Sure, over his buddies back in Arkansas or at IBLP? Yes, to some extent. But over TLC? If anything, TLC has influence over Boob, unless of course, Boob has some considerable dirt on them. But otherwise, Boob should rather be afraid of them, since they can wreck the Duggar-brand ever further if they choose to.

Well, this is all so fresh now that I honestly don't think TLC already has decided what to do, let alone discussed it with JB.

I agree, it will be interesting to see how they handle this whole situation.

I think if the media attention dies out they will have a chance to bring the show back in the fall.

But if the media attention stays high, and possibly the authorities intervene, and more dirt comes out, well, there is no way they will keep the Duggars on air.

But really, what kind of influence does Boob have over TLC after all this? Sure, over his buddies back in Arkansas or at IBLP? Yes, to some extent. But over TLC? If anything, TLC has influence over Boob, unless of course, Boob has some considerable dirt on them. But otherwise, Boob should rather be afraid of them, since they can wreck the Duggar-brand ever further if they choose to.

I think the "influence" Jim Bob has over TLC is that he'll threaten to take the entire family off the show if they won't let Josh on, thus, ruining their cash cow. He'll probably make threats about going to another network like UP taking the entire family along there. He'll also probably try calling around lawyers and seeing if he can sue for anything. Jim Bob is all about control and he's not going to let TLC tell him what he can and can't do with his family regarding Josh.

In my mind, the best solution would be to continue a show (under the 19 Kids and Counting name or otherwise) that sill includes the older daughters. IMO, they shouldn't lose their main source of income because they were victimized by their brother.

I'd like to see TLC offer them their own spinoff but only if they include counselling for what happened ...real expert counselling. Maybe it'll help them see what a horrible cult they grew up in and decide maybe they should raise their children differently.

I think the "influence" Jim Bob has over TLC is that he'll threaten to take the entire family off the show if they won't let Josh on, thus, ruining their cash cow. He'll probably make threats about going to another network like UP taking the entire family along there. He'll also probably try calling around lawyers and seeing if he can sue for anything. Jim Bob is all about control and he's not going to let TLC tell him what he can and can't do with his family regarding Josh.

The thing is, with the scandal, the cash cow is already ruined. It's all about damage control now for TLC, I doubt they care what Boob wants. In fact, they even might be glad if Boob would just move to another network, it would spare them a lot of controversy.

I think the "influence" Jim Bob has over TLC is that he'll threaten to take the entire family off the show if they won't let Josh on, thus, ruining their cash cow. He'll probably make threats about going to another network like UP taking the entire family along there. He'll also probably try calling around lawyers and seeing if he can sue for anything.

I see your point, but I am not sure you see mine: if, as you say, JB subbornly wants the show on air with Josh in it, and this does not correspond to what TLC viewers want, that will make the network loose a lot of money, too. TLC won't put on air anything they feel is less than welcome by their viewers, simply because that would not sell.

JB would then be free to go with his family show on another network with a very conservative fan base-only: that is not what TLC viewership is like, that is not what those big companies pay the Advertising and product placement for.

And as for lawyers, I don't think TLC is short of those.

On a side note: what makes you so sure JB would stand by Josh? JB is only interested in money. If he had to sacrifice Josh in order to keep the show going he would, and would make up some fake excuse for it like "he needed to stay away from the spotlight to heal". I have no doubt about it.

Time will tell I guess.

I know but Jim Bob is not going to agree to continue with the show if they cut Josh out. If they say, we're firing Josh, Jim Bob will make the entire family leave the show as well and raise hell. I could see a bitter battle ensuing. I really think this is why TLC is keeping quiet because they know if they cut Josh out, Jim Bob will go nuts. Jim Bob is already going crazy because of Josh having to resign from FRC over this. Jim Bob will literally throw a huge tantrum if TLC cuts Josh out.

Really? How do you know JB is going nuts over Josh resigning from FRC? I would love to read that.

I think you are all greatly over estimating Jim Bob's attachment to Josh. I'm on record back when I thought these molestation rumors were bullshit saying I had the impression from watching JB's interactions with Josh the JB was not overly fond of his firstborn. He didn't cover for Josh to save Josh, he covered it up to try and save his "brand". And believe you me, Jim Bob was developing his family as a brand way before TLC hit the scene.

He'll gladly sacrifice Josh to save the show. Michelle might make him set something aside for Josh, but Jim Bob is not going to sacrifice his cash cow for his kid. He is a con man, first, last, always. He cares about keeping the money coming in.

I see your point, but I am not sure you see mine: if, as you say, JB subbornly wants the show on air with Josh in it, and this does not correspond to what TLC viewers want, that will make the network loose a lot of money, too. TLC won't put on air anything they feel is less than welcome by their viewers, simply because that would not sell.

JB would then be free to go with his family show on another network with a very conservative fan base-only: that is not what TLC viewership is like, that is not what those big companies pay the Advertising and product placement for.

And as for lawyers, I don't think TLC is short of those.

On a side note: what makes you so sure JB would stand by Josh? JB is only interested in money. If he had to sacrifice Josh in order to keep the show going he would, and would make up some fake excuse for it like "he needed to stay away from the spotlight to heal". I have no doubt about it.

Time will tell I guess.

I think it is because Jim Bob is devastated that this scandal cost Josh to lose his job at FRC...and also having Josh's name forever tarnished by the media. I don't think Jim Bob could handle having TLC dictate that Josh will be "fired" again, especially since it is very likely Josh and Anna will be living back in Arkansas right by the family and all of the filming. IMHO, Jim Bob cares about his own image and the Duggar brand more than future income he'd be able to bring in by staying on without Josh. If they cut out Josh, I think it would humiliate Jim Bob because it would be TLC overriding Jim Bob's desire and in essence, "defeating" his authority.

I think it is because Jim Bob is devastated that this scandal cost Josh to lose his job at FRC...and also having Josh's name forever tarnished by the media. I don't think Jim Bob could handle having TLC dictate that Josh will be "fired" again, especially since it is very likely Josh and Anna will be living back in Arkansas right by the family and all of the filming. IMHO, Jim Bob cares about his own image and the Duggar brand more than future income he'd be able to bring in by staying on without Josh. If they cut out Josh, I think it would humiliate Jim Bob because it would be TLC overriding Jim Bob's desire and in essence, "defeating" his authority.

Well, he will handle whatever he will have to handle.

He can care about his image as much as he wants, but

1) that image is alredy severly damaged (finally!), and, ironically, because of his own terrible parenting choices

2) if the TLC chooses not to put his family on air, it won't. Full stop.

Your comments sound as if JB was something like the Ruler of TV, Society, and The Whole World. But he is not (luckily).

DId I miss a major article with an interview with Jim Bob? How do we know how "devastated" he is about all of this. I mean.. it stands to reason he would be, but it's just as likely he's willing to push Josh out of the family to continue his current lush lifestyle.

Jim Bob may have some muscle in Arkansas, but let's face it... LA and Hollywood are pretty much run by people who make the Illuminati look tame and sensible. Jim Bob Duggar is a small potato as far as their concerned. He'd have to pull a Rupert Murdoch and hack a lot of phone accounts to get enough dirt to throw his weight around.

So, now that the show is pulled (Cancelled?) do you think that the film crew (who must know some real dirt on the Duggars) have a gag order on what they know - or maybe they have a non disclosure clause in the contract - will write a tell all book?

Nope, no book from the crew because, as you said, TLC makes them sign airtight contracts with nondisclosure agreements. Their lips are sealed for life, not only because they want to continue to be employed in the industry but because TLC will sue the pants off them if they go public with any info whatsoever. Other people who appear on these kinds of shows are usually forced to sign similar contracts, btw, so no tell-all from Famy or Miss Cathy or Sierra Jo, either.

Nope, no book from the crew because, as you said, TLC makes them sign airtight contracts with nondisclosure agreements. Their lips are sealed for life, not only because they want to continue to be employed in the industry but because TLC will sue the pants off them if they go public with any info whatsoever. Other people who appear on these kinds of shows are usually forced to sign similar contracts, btw, so no tell-all from Famy or Miss Cathy or Sierra Jo, either.

What if someone decides that whatever consequences are worth knowing that the Duggars are going down in flames?

Except if they would move to another country and write it from there ;) . Or if they would somehow manage to remain anonymous.

Yes, TLC and the Duggars might try everything that no one of the crew will ever spill the beans. But with so many people involved, I would be surprised if this will work. Especially if the Duggars have more skeletons in the closet.

IMO, minors should be banned from reality TV. The only people on reality TV should be consenting adults.

ITA! At the very least, minors on reality TV should be protected with the same regulations that apply to professional child actors. However, I really don't think anyone under 18 should be filmed for reality TV at all. There's a huge difference between a child who plays a role on set and can then retreat to his/her private space at home and a child who has no private space at home, whose home has become the set. Children have no ability to understand the ramifications of living their lives on camera or to consent to that. Reality TV is always, to a greater or lesser extent, exploitative of them.

Except if they would move to another country and write it from there ;) . Or if they would somehow manage to remain anonymous.

Yes, TLC and the Duggars might try everything that no one of the crew will ever spill the beans. But with so many people involved, I would be surprised if this will work. Especially if the Duggars have more skeletons in the closet.

Do you have any examples of tell-all books published by TLC reality show crew members?

What if someone decides that whatever consequences are worth knowing that the Duggars are going down in flames?

I'm talking about lifetime contracts that remain in effect even when the show is over.

Because I wonder if NDAs are upheld even if you witness a crime, like child abuse?

As far as I understand, if you're subpoenaed as a witness, then obviously the subpoena overrides everything. But it's not common for crew members to report abusive behavior to the authorities. There's a culture of misogyny and suppression in the entertainment industry. Reporting this stuff is not encouraged, and most of the time, the crew just go in, do their job, and get out of there. That's their livelihood; they don't want to endanger it.

Do you have any examples of tell-all books published by TLC reality show crew members?

No, but then again, I'm not really interested in TLC. I only have examples of tell-alls published by former celebrity or politician employees, even the British Royal family gets thrown under the bus regularly by some of their former employees.

I'm talking about lifetime contracts that remain in effect even when the show is over.

I thought part of an NDA was that it was limited in term, like a few years.

I thought part of an NDA was that it was limited in term, like a few years.

No, but then again, I'm not really interested in TLC. I only have examples of tell-alls published by former celebrity or politician employees, even the British Royal family gets thrown under the bus regularly by some of their former employees.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any written by reality show crew. Reality TV is different. These production companies can and do have employees sign nondisclosure agreements in perpetuity. People in the industry who break such an agreement risk getting blacklisted, not to mention sued out of house and home.

The show must be cancelled. There 3 people at fault: Josh for the sex abuse; JB and Michelle for covering it up. Therefore, no show. Why would TLC and its sponsors want to promote a family who sexually abuses siblings and then covers it up?

Archived