IGNORED

Bates Updates - Part 2

BirthingGodsWarriors

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woah. This is kind of a "duh" statement but I just realized that Alyssa would have to put off child bearing for 6 years to even be Michaella's age at marriage (25) when they have their first Webster child. So so sad that poor Alyssa could really have 5 children by the time she is 25. As for Michaella, she is smart to get married later-- hopefully this is Jana Duggar's plan too

If she read the Ed Wheat 'how to have sex' book (forget the title now), she knows how to prevent having kids. There are only two types of birth control Ed Wheat says he cant in good conscience recommend, combo pill (which is the one he says causes miscarriages if you are on it and get pregnant) and the morning after pill. Other methods, including other types of pills and pull out, he doesn't give a big no. He goes so far as to say that the pull out is not fool proof.

I bought the book a while back just cause I wanted to see for my own two eyes this book that Josh and Anna were given. It makes me wonder if the birth control chapter is removed from the ones that they give their kids. I'm guessing the books the Bates give are the same as the Duggars.

Woah. This is kind of a "duh" statement but I just realized that Alyssa would have to put off child bearing for 6 years to even be Michaella's age at marriage (25) when they have their first Webster child. So so sad that poor Alyssa could really have 5 children by the time she is 25. As for Michaella, she is smart to get married later-- hopefully this is Jana Duggar's plan too

Both Jana and Michaela are the workhorses of their irresponsible mothers' family. Both parents know exactly how much they're worth and given the fact that Michelle is tha laziest bum for a mother on Earth, Jimbo will just tell Jana to "leave it up to the Lord and wait". Until they both decide that she can be arranged to marry some dorky loser. I mean, mighty godly young man.

Neither Jana, nor Michael had too much say in what's happening in their lives but being the workhorses, they couldn't dream about "meeting" "the one" and getting out of those madhouses.

If she read the Ed Wheat 'how to have sex' book (forget the title now), she knows how to prevent having kids. There are only two types of birth control Ed Wheat says he cant in good conscience recommend, combo pill (which is the one he says causes miscarriages if you are on it and get pregnant) and the morning after pill. Other methods, including other types of pills and pull out, he doesn't give a big no. He goes so far as to say that the pull out is not fool proof.

I bought the book a while back just cause I wanted to see for my own two eyes this book that Josh and Anna were given. It makes me wonder if the birth control chapter is removed from the ones that they give their kids. I'm guessing the books the Bates give are the same as the Duggars.

I've been dying to know what that book says ever since Josh and Anna listened to it on their wedding night. Tell me more!

Maybe this has already been discussed, but why the heck would Michael be contemplating legally changing her name to Michaella? I know the point was made that it's kind of like going by Alex/Alexandra, but that's a shortened nickname situation while this is not. Is there some kind of regret over giving her a "masculine" name, since the whole distinction between male and female thing is so big in fundie-land?

Maybe this has already been discussed, but why the heck would Michael be contemplating legally changing her name to Michaella? I know the point was made that it's kind of like going by Alex/Alexandra, but that's a shortened nickname situation while this is not. Is there some kind of regret over giving her a "masculine" name, since the whole distinction between male and female thing is so big in fundie-land?

I'm not sure there real reason but I do know many people in the public have pointed out that it's a male name and even when she was on her first episode of 18 kids and counting they used Michealla

I'm not sure there real reason but I do know many people in the public have pointed out that it's a male name and even when she was on her first episode of 18 kids and counting they used Michealla

If I'm not mistaken, the entire reason her name is "Michael" is because she was named "Michal" at birth, and then her parents realized that Michal in the Bible is not a good example (oh the lulz) and, being too cheap to actually pay to properly change her name, they changed it under a loophole that allowed them to change one letter. (As if the name were misspelled) Doing so made it significantly cheaper, if not free.

It was super important she was not named "Michal", but not important enough to pay to properly do it.

In the context, it kind of makes sense to properly change it. Not sure how much the court costs are in TN. but it's about $108 plus the cost of publishing the change in a newspaper here in OH.

ETA: thebatesfamily.com/lake-funpart-2/#comment-5366

I still don't get why being fundies, they are so concerned with assigning genders through clothes, colors, and names, but changed her name to Michael. I know they were under financial restraints and were going off of the ability to change one letter for free, but why not Michala (pronounced Mikayla) instead? :think:

so does that mean he approves of the IUD,mini pll,condoms and getting permanently fixed?

I still don't get why being fundies, they are so concerned with assigning genders through clothes, colors, and names, but changed her name to Michael. I know they were under financial restraints and were going off of the ability to change one letter for free, but why not Michala (pronounced Mikayla) instead? :think:

Definitely! Makes so much more sense! Thanks for clearing that up, everyone :) It kinda sucks that they were all willy-nilly while naming her, and she's basically been in name-limbo her entire life. I actually like the name Michael for a girl.

So they wanted to name her Michal but didn't look it up on time, and once she was out they gave her a dude's name? Gee that's smart. By this logic, she could have been a Jacob, a David, a Peter or a Daniel, too, anything not unisex.

So they wanted to name her Michal but didn't look it up on time, and once she was out they gave her a dude's name? Gee that's smart. By this logic, she could have been a Jacob, a David, a Peter or a Daniel, too, anything not unisex.

One is tempted to think the Bateses aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, yet, they kind of know it and I like that Kelly's pretty open about some shortcomings and fails (compared to other families, like Duggars and Maxwells). At least Bateses don't pretend there's some super logic and reason behind their onbvious failures, they're even close to saying it was just "jumped in feet first, brain second".

I just watched Erin's Hair tutorials. God, her fingers sure do work quickly on those curls and... I think I learned something!

Here, growing up four was considered a large family! With four kids everyone always assumed that we were a 'yours, mine and ours' family. My sisters are fraternal twins and I am 7 years younger than my brother and 10 years younger than my sisters. God knows what people would have thought of the Bateses and Duggars.

The Bates and Duggar girls probably got a lot of the same comments I did as the eldest of four with the baby over a decade younger. "Is that your baby?" Then there were the endless dirty looks because people who didn't personally know our family assumed I was a young teenage slut mother. Another favorite was, "Where is your mother?" Um, over there talking to someone, having five minutes of adult conversation. It was especially bad if the baby had just been breastfed but not burped because I was wandering around burping a tiny infant like a pro. Spit up or dirty diapers I could also easily handle on my own. Many young babies don't like to be still, so I would pace, jiggle, hum and talk to him just like any other older sister or actual mother.

I am sure the Duggar and Bates girls have had those sorts of experiences many times over. Perhaps the Bates more than the Duggar girls since the Bates older daughters weren't broadcast to the world since grade school age.

That's always my question too. Or Michel (pronounced like Michelle). There were other options.

One is tempted to think the Bateses aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, yet, they kind of know it and I like that Kelly's pretty open about some shortcomings and fails (compared to other families, like Duggars and Maxwells). At least Bateses don't pretend there's some super logic and reason behind their onbvious failures, they're even close to saying it was just "jumped in feet first, brain second".

I found the explanation refreshing also. I mean, it was very open and honest of them XD They couldn't afford/justify the expense of a legal name change, so they used the free loophole. Makes sense.

The Bates and Duggar girls probably got a lot of the same comments I did as the eldest of four with the baby over a decade younger. "Is that your baby?" Then there were the endless dirty looks because people who didn't personally know our family assumed I was a young teenage slut mother. Another favorite was, "Where is your mother?" Um, over there talking to someone, having five minutes of adult conversation. It was especially bad if the baby had just been breastfed but not burped because I was wandering around burping a tiny infant like a pro. Spit up or dirty diapers I could also easily handle on my own. Many young babies don't like to be still, so I would pace, jiggle, hum and talk to him just like any other older sister or actual mother.

I am sure the Duggar and Bates girls have had those sorts of experiences many times over. Perhaps the Bates more than the Duggar girls since the Bates older daughters weren't broadcast to the world since grade school age.

I had a friend (from a large, Catholic family) who had this same thing happen to her. Her mother solved the problem by making them matching shirts that said 'big sister' and 'little sister'. :lol:

I found the explanation refreshing also. I mean, it was very open and honest of them XD They couldn't afford/justify the expense of a legal name change, so they used the free loophole. Makes sense.

In general, the Bates seem significantly more honest than the Duggars. I really would rather their show

That's always my question too. Or Michel (pronounced like Michelle). There were other options.

I just figured they had already mistakenly been pronouncing Michal as Michael, so that was the logical change to them.

When I was a teenager, one of my friends was in the "child education" or whatever class at school, and the students had to take turns taking these realistic, fake babies home with them and take care of them all weekend. I went out to eat with her family while she was in charge of one of these fake babies, and she took it inside the restaurant in a baby carrier, covered, because if it cried and you didn't attend do it or something it would lower your score. There was a very put-together, elderly couple across the restaurant who was giving us looks so dirty, it literally made my hair stand up. I wanted so badly to go over to them and matter-of-factly explain what was really going on, but I realized I shouldn't have to. That was the moment I realized that people are literally freaking CRAZY! :shock: Off subject, but anyway. I know what you mean.

Soon there will be a giant big bulletin saying that Michael and Brandon are getting married - and all that in Fundieland! :lol: I'll post it on tumblr fo' sho'.

I think Michael and Brandon should ask Chris Maxwell to shoot their wedding! Could you imagine the LOOK on his face when he gets an email with the request. :pink-shock: :lol:

Archived