IGNORED

Bates Updates - Part 2

BirthingGodsWarriors

Alyssa does not have a blog. I think they were referring to the pictures that can be found on the bates blog. Alyssa does have a public instagram though.

You can find Alyssa's instagram here: web.stagram.com/n/webster4ever

The Bates blog is here: thebatesfamily.com/family-updates/

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's some up on their blog......

Kelly had a long post about the wedding on their blog and I remember posting a crap ton on Alyssa's wedding thread from various webstagram searches.

I thought I read here that Alyssa had commented somewhere that she didn't want an extra large family. I just read on Kelly's blog (the first wedding post) where someone asked if she was leaving her family size up to God. Kelly said yes. Anyone know if Alyssa actually did say she wanted a smaller family? I really thought I read that somewhere. It's a shame that these kids think that having a small family is somehow a sin. :shrug:

I thought I read here that Alyssa had commented somewhere that she didn't want an extra large family. I just read on Kelly's blog (the first wedding post) where someone asked if she was leaving her family size up to God. Kelly said yes. Anyone know if Alyssa actually did say she wanted a smaller family? I really thought I read that somewhere. It's a shame that these kids think that having a small family is somehow a sin. :shrug:

It's also a shame that these kids think that their parents have any right to decide/speak to, very personal issues like their reproductive plans.

It's also a shame that these kids think that their parents have any right to decide/speak to, very personal issues like their reproductive plans.

On the nightline special she said she didn't think she could do 19. I think she said "maybe eight."

You have to be hardcore in your beliefs to live a quiverfull life. Anna Duggar could do it. She believes it and loves it. I see a lot of these bates and duggars having maybe four kids. Also, you usually have to be either rich or really poor to live that way. You can either afford it or you end up feeding a zillion people 2 chicken breasts. Are they willing to live that way? Doubt it.

Yes, she said something like "maybe 6 or 8, or maayybe 10?" And the way she said it plus how she talked about loving her family but really enjoying privacy and alone time makes me doubt she'd get to 6. If she truly plans to "leave it up to god" and isn't just saying that to get Kelly off her back she's going to have a rude awakening. She can't refuse to use birth control and then say she doesn't want above a certain number of kids.

Yes, she said something like "maybe 6 or 8, or maayybe 10?" And the way she said it plus how she talked about loving her family but really enjoying privacy and alone time makes me doubt she'd get to 6. If she truly plans to "leave it up to god" and isn't just saying that to get Kelly off her back she's going to have a rude awakening. She can't refuse to use birth control and then say she doesn't want above a certain number of kids.

I wonder how many fundie women secretly pray they won't get pregnant...

this is probably petty but it annoys me because I used to work there, its Sequoia National Park, not "Sequoyah". Someone corrected her, but its still in the post.

As a Cherokee gal from the Smoky Mountains, let me stick up for Kelly Bates for a minute-- yes, the National Park (and its trees) are officially spelled Sequoia, but Kelly spelled it the way you would expect a person from East Tennessee to spell it.

artdecades, I am sure you know this since you worked there-- since the trees are named after the man who invented the Cherokee syllabary, and the English spelling of Cherokee words isn't standardized--there are several different ways to spell "Sequoia". In California, you see the "Sequoia" spelling more often. In Oklahoma and in the original Cherokee homelands--Tennessee, Georgia, etc. the "Sequoyah" spelling is more commonly used than the "Sequoia" spelling. As a Cherokee, I always spell his name in English as "Sequoyah"--even I know that the tree name is Sequoioideae--that spelling always looks weird to me! :)

Mount Sequoyah is on Tennessee/North Carolina border (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Sequoyah), not too far from the Bates. In Oklahoma, there is a town and a county named "Sequoyah."

The only truly "correct" way to spell that name is in Cherokee: ᏎᏉᏯ

;)

I wonder how many fundie women secretly pray they won't get pregnant...

I agree. With their view of God's control over the womb, I'd bet that a lot of these girls truly believe that if they only want a few children, God will only give them a few. If they then have more, He's challenging some pride in them, or something of that nature. But that's how they can end up with more kids than they can handle, even after saying 'God never gives us more than we can handle'. You might as well walk out into heavy traffic and believe that God will protect you, rather than using the tools and judgment at your disposal to decide to cross the street somewhere else. And it goes against the whole teaching of Jesus and the devil in the desert, where he was told to leap off a high ledge because the angels would swoop down and save him. It's wrong to test God's mercy, and expecting him to come down and control something that you can control yourself is doing exactly that.

On the nightline special she said she didn't think she could do 19. I think she said "maybe eight."

You have to be hardcore in your beliefs to live a quiverfull life. Anna Duggar could do it. She believes it and loves it. I see a lot of these bates and duggars having maybe four kids. Also, you usually have to be either rich or really poor to live that way. You can either afford it or you end up feeding a zillion people 2 chicken breasts. Are they willing to live that way? Doubt it.

Another aspect of the quiverfull life is raising a bunch of kids with no sense of personal boundaries so that mommy and daddy should have a say in their family planning.

That said, I agree that neither the Duggars and Bates are going to want a "two chicken breast" lifestyle, so to speak. Yes, both families lived in poverty but neither does anymore. Both are used to a lot of perks. The Duggar kids for obvious reasons, but it appears that the Bates kids don't suffer that much these days. They have some TV show money, Daddy's a world class grifter and they seem to be able to get out, travel, go to college, do things. They are not hunkered down at home. None of them are going to be willing to go back to a life of poverty. And none of them are headed for a life of riches.

After a few kids, they will all see how far a dollar really goes. Even Anna. I don't think that as much as a true believer she is at this point, she's going to get anywhere near 19 kids. If for no other reason, Josh is too used to a good life now.

So once they all start having the kiddos, they will see how far a dollar truly goes.

I think Josh and Anna are almost "moderate" compared to the way they were raised. DC has to be eye-opening. I wonder how many couples live in almost platonic marriages to avoid pregnancy after a while. Enough Catholic couples of old resorted to that. I also wonder how many simply lie. I imagine Amazon sells condoms so who would have to know you bought them? Of course all women aren't as fertile as Kelly and Michelle either.

Did anyone else see that Lawson posted a video of him doing the ice bucket challenge on instagram? (Sorry...this is only my 2nd post & I don't know how to link stuff.)

I'm amazed he did this. Does he know about the cause, or the fact that stem-cell research is involved with the ice bucket challenge? It's for ALS research. I mean, I know that for the most part embryonic stem-cell research is losing ground because stem-cells taken from adults are apparently more useful (and I just read that recently, I don't have any personal understanding of how it all works). But these families associate stem-cell research with abortion so it's crazy to me that he not only took part but challenged other fundies to do it...

I agree. With their view of God's control over the womb, I'd bet that a lot of these girls truly believe that if they only want a few children, God will only give them a few. If they then have more, He's challenging some pride in them, or something of that nature. But that's how they can end up with more kids than they can handle, even after saying 'God never gives us more than we can handle'. You might as well walk out into heavy traffic and believe that God will protect you, rather than using the tools and judgment at your disposal to decide to cross the street somewhere else. And it goes against the whole teaching of Jesus and the devil in the desert, where he was told to leap off a high ledge because the angels would swoop down and save him. It's wrong to test God's mercy, and expecting him to come down and control something that you can control yourself is doing exactly that.

You've explained my opinion on this totally and beautifully :D

As a Cherokee gal from the Smoky Mountains, let me stick up for Kelly Bates for a minute-- yes, the National Park (and its trees) are officially spelled Sequoia, but Kelly spelled it the way you would expect a person from East Tennessee to spell it.

artdecades, I am sure you know this since you worked there-- since the trees are named after the man who invented the Cherokee syllabary, and the English spelling of Cherokee words isn't standardized--there are several different ways to spell "Sequoia". In California, you see the "Sequoia" spelling more often. In Oklahoma and in the original Cherokee homelands--Tennessee, Georgia, etc. the "Sequoyah" spelling is more commonly used than the "Sequoia" spelling. As a Cherokee, I always spell his name in English as "Sequoyah"--even I know that the tree name is Sequoioideae--that spelling always looks weird to me! :)

Mount Sequoyah is on Tennessee/North Carolina border (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Sequoyah), not too far from the Bates. In Oklahoma, there is a town and a county named "Sequoyah."

The only truly "correct" way to spell that name is in Cherokee: ᏎᏉᏯ

;)

I was unaware that the alternate spelling was common in Tennessee, so thanks. I didn't know about that mountain. And I do know its named for Sequoyah (I worked in the archives so I got a whole history of the park), though the Cherokee never ever ever lived anywhere close to the park or area. And there is a carving of a plains indian at the park entrance, which also is very very ahistorical.

I'm amazed he did this. Does he know about the cause, or the fact that stem-cell research is involved with the ice bucket challenge? It's for ALS research. I mean, I know that for the most part embryonic stem-cell research is losing ground because stem-cells taken from adults are apparently more useful (and I just read that recently, I don't have any personal understanding of how it all works). But these families associate stem-cell research with abortion so it's crazy to me that he not only took part but challenged other fundies to do it...

Oh he knows now, since a bunch of nuts criticized him

For it on there

There were comments from both Lawson and the Bates Family accounts saying that he was doing it to raise awareness and support only.

Oh he knows now, since a bunch of nuts criticized him

For it on there

There were comments from both Lawson and the Bates Family accounts saying that he was doing it to raise awareness and support only.

I guess I should have figured that they would have been criticized for it by now :( I actually feel bad about that, since I'm sure he did it with good intentions and was then probably told he was supporting baby murder. But who knows, maybe the second-gen Gothardites will be willing to give money to certain charities if they can make sure that their personal donation does NOT go to embryonic stem-cell research (which I've heard you can do for ALS), rather than blacklist them entirely...

I think Lawson did it so he could give the fundy young ladies a thrill with his wet clinging tshirt. :?

I was surprised Lawson did it too but I'm glad he did. I want him to marry Jinger or Joy Anna, run off to Nashville, and never look back.

Speaking of Lawson and Joy, wasn't there an Instagram pic posted here a few months ago with them in it? And didn't Anna comment on it "the make a cute couple" or something like that?

Archived