IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion - Part 8

happy atheist

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's nice that they have enough free time that they can prepare special meals for themselves. I'm sure there were years when they were so busy that would have been out of the question. It might be a little disappointing that they spend their free time doing a weird diet, but I spend my free time on FJ, so I can't judge.

I don't really stress about things like artificial flavouring and so on (I drink way too much soda for that to be significant…), but olive oil > palm oil. Palm oil is well over 40% saturated, while olive oil has about 14% saturated fat. In addition to this, there are major issues with palm oil production (Source 1 (obviously biased, but nice overview), Source 2 (WWF)).

Why not make a TLC episode out of it? Get them a proper medical workup, give them one of those arm bands that counts their activity levels, and a few sessions with a certified nutritionist?

They'd probably find out if their weight is at a good level for them, if they are eating the right amount of greens, the benefits of fresh foods, etc.

Since they do the cooking, what they learn might actually benefit the whole house.

In another thread someone said that the smallest age gap between two non-twin Duggar siblings is 11 months between Jordyn and Josie. That got me thinking: the Duggars follow the rule of no sex for three months after the birth of a girl, and no sex for one month after the birth of a boy (thus 11 months between two girls should be impossible, but of course Josie was preemie).

What would the Duggar family look like now if they hadn't had that tiny wait period? Would there be 20+ Duggars because Michelle would have gotten pregnant the month after a new baby was born? Or would there be fewer, because the tiny wait period gave her body just enough time to recover and saved her from becoming a mess of miscarriages?

In another thread someone said that the smallest age gap between two non-twin Duggar siblings is 11 months between Jordyn and Josie. That got me thinking: the Duggars follow the rule of no sex for three months after the birth of a girl, and no sex for one month after the birth of a boy (thus 11 months between two girls should be impossible, but of course Josie was preemie).

What would the Duggar family look like now if they hadn't had that tiny wait period? Would there be 20+ Duggars because Michelle would have gotten pregnant the month after a new baby was born? Or would there be fewer, because the tiny wait period gave her body just enough time to recover and saved her from becoming a mess of miscarriages?

My cousin had natural "Irish twins." After having number 1, she became pregnant again within a month or so. My cousin stopped at 2 though. Haha I don't blame her.

Kelly Bates appears to have conceived mostly a few months after the previous birth. But then they also follow that biblical thing. Come to think of it, maybe that is a mercy. I certainly didn't want my sons father poking around in there after childbirth for a while. Parts need to heal. Sounds very much like something that was good in at least some form or another, but still based on a patriarchal system. Abstain for 80 days if it is a girl. 40 if it is a boy. I'd rather pop out girls.

Kelly Bates appears to have conceived mostly a few months after the previous birth. But then they also follow that biblical thing. Come to think of it, maybe that is a mercy. I certainly didn't want my sons father poking around in there after childbirth for a while. Parts need to heal. Sounds very much like something that was good in at least some form or another, but still based on a patriarchal system. Abstain for 80 days if it is a girl. 40 if it is a boy. I'd rather pop out girls.

What I, personally, don't get about this is how it matches up with their view that men are prone to "urges" and need a "righteous" outlet for them. I'm thinking of the Duggars specifically when I say with, as they're touted their "Nike" thing as a way to combat this in their male children.

It makes it sound like men are just sex hounds and it's up to the women to curb it. Does Jim Bob go crazy for this period of time?

ETA: There's also that quote from Moochelle about always being "available" for your husband when he wants sex. How does this mesh in? Does he magically not want sexy for 40 or 80 days? It doesn't seem possible in the context of their other beliefs.

What I, personally, don't get about this is how it matches up with their view that men are prone to "urges" and need a "righteous" outlet for them. I'm thinking of the Duggars specifically when I say with, as they're touted their "Nike" thing as a way to combat this in their male children.

It makes it sound like men are just sex hounds and it's up to the women to curb it. Does Jim Bob go crazy for this period of time?

ETA: There's also that quote from Moochelle about always being "available" for your husband when he wants sex. How does this mesh in? Does he magically not want sexy for 40 or 80 days? It doesn't seem possible in the context of their other beliefs.

Um... she could make other... places available? Idk how realistic that is in fundie-land..

I skimmed one of their books where Michelle talks about that 40/80 days no sex rule. I don't remember the exact words, but she gushingly said something like JB was nice/patient/understanding enough to follow that rule.

Of course, it's still inconsistent with their beliefs that men are brainless animals, but consistency isn't something fundies value.

The 40/80 abstinence after birth thing is based on Leviticus. You can read more about it (and other Duggar sexytime beliefs) here:

patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2014/02/the-duggars-and-bill-gothards-sex-regulations.html

Has Nutschelle ever seemed to express a gender preference? I wonder if she enjoys those extra forty days of no sex or if she really is the horndog JB says she is.

Michelle+Duggar+makeover+2.jpg

You know, it's just occurred to me why Nutschelle might favor her mullet hairstyle, and not because the 80s were her heydays. Back when they were ultra-fundies, they had to have really long hair to please Gothard. Michelle's hair is very, very thick, and having to brush and curl it must have been a hassle, not to mention hot in the Arkansas summers. I bet that the "mullet" was her way of skirting around the rules to make less hair overall to hassle her. You can see that when they started allowing shorter hair, she became less mulletized.

p.s., while I was looking for pictures of Nutschelle, I found this: 2D11619312-today-duggars-140213-04.blocks_desktop_medium.jpg

She was adorable!

I think she prefers girls. I remember her saying how much she liked dressing the baby girls in frilly dresses and bows.

The 40/80 abstinence after birth thing is based on Leviticus. You can read more about it (and other Duggar sexytime beliefs) here:

patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2014/02/the-duggars-and-bill-gothards-sex-regulations.html

I find it highly hilarious at this point how fundies pick and chose which Old Testament laws they want to obey and which not.

It almost seems like they're saying that girls are considered "dirtier" and contaminate the vagina more than boys would?

I too love how they pick & choose what "works" for them and what doesn't. Some straight up bullshit right there.

I think she prefers girls. I remember her saying how much she liked dressing the baby girls in frilly dresses and bows.

That could just be cause of all the howlers in a row though. I'd be craving a girl after that too (and if I had 6 girls in a row, with no end to reproduction in sight, I'd probably be looking forward to a boy)

Has Nutschelle ever seemed to express a gender preference? I wonder if she enjoys those extra forty days of no sex or if she really is the horndog JB says she is.

That would be interesting to know. Girls are better for her personally since they can be loaded with housework and "buddy" duties from an early age, but maybe in some fundie circles, boys are more appreciated. I don't know how it works inside the ATI.

If you have twins, is the "no touchy" period doubled?

I'm pretty sure that if both of them are boys, then it's the same as one boy. If one or more is a girl, it's the same as having one girl.

I wonder if the Duggars knew who Robin Williams was, and what he went through. This is why it's so frustrating that the Duggars' are supposed to stuff their feelings and act sweet. It can lead to awful things. I hope that nothing happens to any of the family members because of it. RIP Robin Williams.

Pretty sure Jim Bob and Michelle would have watched "Mork and Mindy" and "Happy Days" and know that Robin Williams was a comedian. I doubt they knew much else about him because they cut themselves off a lot of media in the 90's. Michelle would probably fake that she didn't know who he was, like she did with Dolly Parton.

Pretty sure Jim Bob and Michelle would have watched "Mork and Mindy" and "Happy Days" and know that Robin Williams was a comedian. I doubt they knew much else about him because they cut themselves off a lot of media in the 90's. Michelle would probably fake that she didn't know who he was, like she did with Dolly Parton.

and "bling, I think you people call it?" :lol: :lol:

and "bling, I think you people call it?" :lol: :lol:

The Duggars with Dolly Parton that was priceless, noted bigots and homophobes meet beloved gay icon Dolly Parton. :lol:

Archived