IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion - Part 8

happy atheist

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From what I understand, the men, who are outside the Mennonite community, are given money for services rendered. I have no idea whether they get the money only if the female gets pregnant or if they get more money if she gets pregnant. The child is Mennonite. There must be more legalities to it to make certain the father doesn't come back for the child.

I don't know more than what I've been told!

When I lived in Alberta I heard about Hutterite communities having to do this too. I know more because I was told more but it wouldn't be appropriate to post and there's not enough brain bleach in the world for what was described to me.

:brain-bleach: :brain-bleach:

Browneyedgirl: Yes, I've heard a bit more about it. Like you, hesitate to print it.

ETA: Let's just say, the man and woman don't get to see each other...

There is a discussion on Snopes that seems to lean toward urban legend.

First: I like the way Derick looks. He's kind of "nerdy handsome"... and Ben is just "vapid pretty"... which doesn't resonate with me.

Secondly: If JB and Mr. Seewald "went at it", Mr. S would win hands down. Have you ever noticed on the show when JB does his "have you been saved?" questions? He is nearly always shot down immediately by the respondent saying something like, "I have my own belief system and am happy in it" and JB, the prime evangelist, has NO COMEBACK! I thought they were trained to do this kind of stuff! So if JB and Mr. S had an argument, my money's on Mr. S for the win.

When or what episodes did this happen?

Browneyedgirl: Yes, I've heard a bit more about it. Like you, hesitate to print it.

ETA: Let's just say, the man and woman don't get to see each other...

So, from what I'm getting, it's like sperm donation?

There's an old episode where Jessa learned to drive and got her license. At first I got sad she has a license and I don't (and I'm the same age as Jana and JD...heh) but then realized the test is way harder in my state. Both in what you have to do on the test, and then there's the fact that her examiner coached her a bit and in my state they sit there in stony silence.

I didn't get my license until I was 24 (2 years ago), and when I finally did, it took me 7 tries. I did well for the most part, but I could never master backing in to a parking spot :roll:.

I didn't get my license until I was 24 (2 years ago), and when I finally did, it took me 7 tries. I did well for the most part, but I could never master backing in to a parking spot :roll:.

SCREW BACKING INTO A PARKING SPOT *flails arms*

SCREW BACKING INTO A PARKING SPOT *flails arms*

Backing into a parking space where I live will generally get you a ticket or towed :( so I hope they don't test on it! Talk about your useless skill around here.

Backing into a parking space where I live will generally get you a ticket or towed :( so I hope they don't test on it! Talk about your useless skill around here.

In my state you don't have to pull into a parking space on the test, you have to back in. Because pulling in normally isn't a useful skill?

I can back into a parking spot, and I can parallel park, but I can't for the life of me pull into a parking space. Even worse, given that I live on a narrow street with no driveway, I can't pull in and park at the kerb, and there's not always room to parallel park D;

When I lived in Alberta I heard about Hutterite communities having to do this too. I know more because I was told more but it wouldn't be appropriate to post and there's not enough brain bleach in the world for what was described to me.

:brain-bleach: :brain-bleach:

The Mennonites around where I live don't have problems with inbreeding. They travel, have friends all over the country, and know other Mennonite groups in other areas. A Mennonite guy I work with has a wife who grew up in Belize. He met her on a mission trip. His brother married someone from Canada. The Mennonites in my area also adopt children, mostly from South America, it seems, as a missionary venture. But they raise them Mennonite, and they then marry into the community. I am aware, however, that there may be isolated groups of "Mennonites" who do things differently. I will have to ask my co-worker if he ever heard of this situation...see what he says.

The Amish, especially Old Order, that are where I am from, are vastly different than the Mennonites, or even other Amish groups like the famous ones in Lancaster PA. The ones here are beyond dirt poor, don't travel anywhere, and in general are extremely ignorant when it comes to any kind of facts of life or any health knowledge. My dad once talked to a bishop, who seemed completely unaware that genetic disorders even existed, or how having children with your cousins affected that in any way. He stated that "Many people like to use slander against us because of our simple way of life".... but literally had no comprehension or explanation for anything.

I was reading about the Amish a few years ago, so my memory isn't that fresh, but some of them do something called "bed courting" where an eligible young man waits until then night and then sneaks up to an eligible young woman's room and hops in her bed with her and they "court". Sometimes she gets pregnant, but it's not considered a big deal, they just get married really quickly.

When or what episodes did this happen?

I believe JB tried a little proselytizing in New York in one of the earlier episodes, then I think he tried again in Scotland. That one was priceless. He tried to talk to a street performer, I believe, male, who basically told JB he was an atheist. Then crickets. JB had no response once shot down to either person. Am I the only person who remembers these?

I literally just watched the Scotland episode yesterday- Boob's face was PRICELESS when the dude told him he was an atheist and didn't react to his little "You know you could be saved blah blah" spiel. Actually, the whole family got this kind of face like "what? eew!" during the awkward silence that ensued.

I literally just watched the Scotland episode yesterday- Boob's face was PRICELESS when the dude told him he was an atheist and didn't react to his little "You know you could be saved blah blah" spiel. Actually, the whole family got this kind of face like "what? eew!" during the awkward silence that ensued.

That's what I mean. People who proselytize door to door are armed with a number of come-backs. They need to keep the conversation going in order to sell their product. JB never seems able to hear anything except, "Yes, I love the Lord with all my heart and soul and want to be just like YOU!" I'd respect him more if he seemed to have REAL convictions!

Maybe J’Chelle gave up parenting because of her anger issues. If they’re that severe, she should not have continued to have kids. It’s not fair to the older girls that they cannot live their own lives, and Queen J’Chelle just sits on her ass all day, and doesn’t give two shits about her kids. It doesn’t seem genuine when she attempts to spend one on one time with the kids. And she acts like it's such an inconvenience that the older girls are starting to have their own lives. If they were normal, they would've flown the coup long ago. J'Chelle should consider herself lucky.

Never thought of it as prostitution; more on the lines of not-so-artificial insemination. But you would be correct.

:laughing-rolling: I love it!

I can't parallel park or back into a parking space to save my life. When I took my driving test, my ill-tempered instructor even ridiculed me for not being able to parallel park because my car was small. I just kept my mouth shut and continued on with the test.

Later, she tried to get me to pull out in traffic at a stop sign from behind two large concrete outcroppings on both sides of the road. This was at a 4-way intersection. I stopped at the stop sign, then pulled up just slightly so I could see beyond the concrete walls before turning. She tried to fail me for this. When I pointed out that by not stopping and pulling up slowly to see where I was going would have probably gotten us both killed in a head-on collision, she decided to pass me. :roll:

Okay I know it's quite possibly urban legend ( or rural legend in this case) ..... But I just don't get how you artificially inseminate via prostitute?? :? ...I m sure I'll need the brain bleach...and I feel awkward asking....but what exactly is the prostitutes role?

Prostitutes??? I don't know where people are getting that. That is something others have thrown in. From my understanding of some comments, they are comparing the men getting paid for sex as prostitutes. Oddly, I never viewed them that way. I saw it more as sperm donations or the 'not-so artificial ' insemination.

I really can't understand the confusion.

Oh damn, what episode was that?

Archived