Part 1: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19312

Part 2: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19818

Part 3: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20491

Part 4: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20933

Part 5: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21259

Part 6: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21558

Part 7: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=21962

!  {TEXT1}:
Just a quick reminder to folks that it's super easy to add someone to your foe list, and then you don't have to see anything they post. Ever.*

*you can't foe mods or admins, but I'm sure you wouldn't want to :wink-kitty:

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok to answer a few HP questions from Part 7:

DB & DQ would be Muggles, there is no way either of them are magic enough. And yy to Joshie being a muggle amongst magical siblings.

One of the most depressing unsaid things about HP is what happened as Harry grew up, the first time he called Aunt Petunia Mummy and was "rewarded" with a smack. Bringing home cards, gifts from school and them being shoved into the bin. Never understanding how and why his parents died and the fact his grandparents were also dead so couldn't look after him. The emotional abuse that poor boy must have suffered :(

Ok to answer a few HP questions from Part 7:

DB & DQ would be Muggles, there is no way either of them are magic enough. And yy to Joshie being a muggle amongst magical siblings.

One of the most depressing unsaid things about HP is what happened as Harry grew up, the first time he called Aunt Petunia Mummy and was "rewarded" with a smack. Bringing home cards, gifts from school and them being shoved into the bin. Never understanding how and why his parents died and the fact his grandparents were also dead so couldn't look after him. The emotional abuse that poor boy must have suffered :(

No wonder he sunk so far into his own mind that he made up being a magical wizard in a fantastical world where he was the chosen one. His imagination sure was on fire when he thought up all those stories and adventures. :D

No wonder he sunk so far into his own mind that he made up being a magical wizard in a fantastical world where he was the chosen one. His imagination sure was on fire when he thought up all those stories and adventures. :D

I know someone who started writing a fanfic where Harry woke up and it was all a dream. And then Dudley got his Hogwarts letter. The fanfic stopped because it pained the writer too much. It was horribly depressing.

Harry's childhood was awful. It's one of the reasons I get super defensive of Harry when people talk smack about him for being angsty in OotP. Of COURSE he was angsty. Do people expect anyone, especially someone who grew up abused,to witness someone be killed while playing a role in the return of the man who killed his parents to skip into the sunset farting rainbows?

But I also wonder what the CPS system is like in the UK. Yeah, Harry Potter is fictional (or so I'm told) but his teachers didn't notice he was underfed and missed classes for extended periods of time when he was locked up in the cupboard?

I know someone who started writing a fanfic where Harry woke up and it was all a dream. And then Dudley got his Hogwarts letter. The fanfic stopped because it pained the writer too much. It was horribly depressing.

Harry's childhood was awful. It's one of the reasons I get super defensive of Harry when people talk smack about him for being angsty in OotP. Of COURSE he was angsty. Do people expect anyone, especially someone who grew up abused,to witness someone be killed while playing a role in the return of the man who killed his parents to skip into the sunset farting rainbows?

But I also wonder what the CPS system is like in the UK. Yeah, Harry Potter is fictional (or so I'm told) but his teachers didn't notice he was underfed and missed classes for extended periods of time when he was locked up in the cupboard?

YES. Why didn't he ever call Childline? He must have seen the adverts, or found out about it at school. And, yes, his teachers most definitely ought to have called social services. Then again, it may be something like Sparkles' situation in real life: the Dursleys were white and middle-class, so the over-worked social workers may have more likely gotten a favourable impression of them. ETA: I can totally see Petunia graciously welcoming a social worker and showing them the guest bedroom or Dudley's second bedroom and claiming it was Harry's, and saying that Harry only wore Dudley's old clothes because they didn't want to be wasteful and they were being frugal/caring for the environment (both very unDursleyish sentiments, but Petunia strikes me as the sort of person who would be aware that those are concerns in other families and ones that are regarded as valid).

Interestingly, The Casual Vacancy does feature a social worker as one of the main characters, dealing with a neglectful mother and her children.

YES. Why didn't he ever call Childline? He must have seen the adverts, or found out about it at school. And, yes, his teachers most definitely ought to have called social services. Then again, it may be something like Sparkles' situation in real life: the Dursleys were white and middle-class, so the over-worked social workers may have more likely gotten a favourable impression of them. ETA: I can totally see Petunia graciously welcoming a social worker and showing them the guest bedroom or Dudley's second bedroom and claiming it was Harry's, and saying that Harry only wore Dudley's old clothes because they didn't want to be wasteful and they were being frugal/caring for the environment (both very unDursleyish sentiments, but Petunia strikes me as the sort of person who would be aware that those are concerns in other families and ones that are regarded as valid).

Interestingly, The Casual Vacancy does feature a social worker as one of the main characters, dealing with a neglectful mother and her children.

On Harry missing classes: I think in either the first or third book, Uncle Vernon tells a guest/family friend that Harry is a juvenile delinquent, which would explain his absence from school.

Though actually, wouldn't the Muggle social services system get suspicious about a quite sizable population of 11 to 17-year-old children who don't seem to be enrolled in any sort of education, and basically disappear during the school year? Is there some kind of Ministry of Magic liaison who deals with that? Is there at least one witch or wizard on staff at the Ministry of Education/child protective services who can vouch for these kids without blowing their cover as witches/wizards?

On Harry missing classes: I think in either the first or third book, Uncle Vernon tells a guest/family friend that Harry is a juvenile delinquent, which would explain his absence from school.

Though actually, wouldn't the Muggle social services system get suspicious about a quite sizable population of 11 to 17-year-old children who don't seem to be enrolled in any sort of education, and basically disappear during the school year? Is there some kind of Ministry of Magic liaison who deals with that? Is there at least one witch or wizard on staff at the Ministry of Education/child protective services who can vouch for these kids without blowing their cover as witches/wizards?

Yeah, he tells "Aunt" Marge that Harry goes to St. Brutus's Secure Centre for Incurably Criminal Boys. Assuming such a hellhole exists, though, Muggle social services would be able to check that his claim has no substance. Same thing with the delinquency in general; if Harry really was a delinquent, there'd be records of that kind of thing and, again, social services would get involved.

That's a good point about all the kids at Hogwarts. Home education is much rarer in the UK than it is in the US, and it's certainly not unregulated, so it's not like parents can just say, "Oh, I'm homeschooling" *hides wand*. Although at the same time, I'm not sure if non-Muggle-born wizards even legally exist. If they did, wouldn't someone have noticed all the centenarians? And most wizarding children don't attend Muggle schools before going to Hogwarts, because of the risk that they'll do uncontrolled, accidental magic. They don't need passports to travel, they probably have their own version of National Insurance numbers to work and get benefits (considering they have their own currency), and they certainly have their own version of a driver's licence. I suspect they're pretty off the grid, with some Memory Charms thrown in for good measure (eg. in the case of Muggle-borns).

Mark your calendars, DC folks! The "Value Voters Summit" is coming to the Omni Shoreham in Woodley Park at the end of September-- with JimBob & Michelle (and no doubt at least 10+ offkey violinists in tow) speaking, and Joshie Boy moderating 2 different panels: http://www.valuesvotersummit.org/speakers

Sarah Palin! Glenn Beck! Ted Cruz! Michele Bachmann!

Oh, so much craziness & ignorance & racism crammed into one hotel, I can't even stand it.

PS Oddly enough Jim Bob and J'Uterus are NOT speaking on the "THE PEOPLE CHASM: HOW DEMOGRAPHIC DECLINE ENDANGERS THE FUTURE OF FREEDOM" panel. Which might be better translated as, "Oh no, brown people are taking over America! We must fill our quivers with more Anglo-Saxon Christian Confederate sympathizers, for FREEDUM!"

Anti-choice meets Harry Potter, folks.

hB5FB948B

Heh, I thought, "Neville, obviously," before scrolling down. But thinking about it, the prophecy was made in May or June (IIRC), so Lily and Alice would both have been 7 months pregnant - past the cut-off date for an abortion. That prophecy would never have been made, at least not the way it was, if neither Lily nor Alice was pregnant at the time. In that case, literally anyone could have stopped Voldemort, because there would be no prophecy.

Also, the whole "if someone had an abortion" is a fucking stupid argument against it. We could just as easily say:

If Merope Gaunt had had an abortion, then Lily and James and Sirius and Lupin and Tonks and Dumbledore and Hedwig and -

would all still be alive.

I can't get over the fact how people like the Duggars and their religious and political friends always like to throw the word "freedom" around, yet about 95% of their activities are about taking freedom away from other people.

"Freedom" for them only means, that they are free to impose their religious beliefs and rules upon everybody else.

And as a funny "translator" very accurately says about another fundie buzz phrase:

"war on religion/Christianity" = "it's unacceptable that our laws and culture aren't based solely on my interpretation of the bible"

And apparently the rest of us are "non-values" voters, because if our values are different, we have no values at all.

If people like the Duggars and their friends had their way, the US would be a theocracy like Iran for example.

Only that first there would probably be a civil war to establish which leaders of which denomination would get the power. But as long as that doesn't happen, they can work together to take away as much personal freedom from the citizens as they can.

Mark your calendars, DC folks! The "Value Voters Summit" is coming to the Omni Shoreham in Woodley Park at the end of September-- with JimBob & Michelle (and no doubt at least 10+ offkey violinists in tow) speaking, and Joshie Boy moderating 2 different panels: http://www.valuesvotersummit.org/speakers

Oh, so much craziness & ignorance & racism crammed into one hotel, I can't even stand it.

PS Oddly enough Jim Bob and J'Uterus are NOT speaking on the "THE PEOPLE CHASM: HOW DEMOGRAPHIC DECLINE ENDANGERS THE FUTURE OF FREEDOM" panel. Which might be better translated as, "Oh no, brown people are taking over America! We must fill our quivers with more Anglo-Saxon Christian Confederate sympathizers, for FREEDUM!"

And if they overlooked their own prejudice, they would see that the "brown people" have similar values of community, family, religion (in the sense that many first & second generation immigrants still practice a religion), and "hard work." But you know, preconceived notions of what someone looks like and all that.

How on earth do they spin a panel with that title in a way that it's not just out and out racist?

How on earth do they spin a panel with that title in a way that it's not just out and out racist?

I'd consider going to snark on this, but no way am I giving those people my money to get in. Maybe I'll go to the Zoo, since that's close to the event and they will probably send the Sister Moms there with the kids. And I'll wear my Darwin fish t-shirt.

I can't get over the fact how people like the Duggars and their religious and political friends always like to throw the word "freedom" around, yet about 95% of their activities are about taking freedom away from other people.

"Freedom" for them only means, that they are free to impose their religious beliefs and rules upon everybody else.

And as a funny "translator" very accurately says about another fundie buzz phrase:

"war on religion/Christianity" = "it's unacceptable that our laws and culture aren't based solely on my interpretation of the bible"

And then they call people telling them they can't impose their beliefs on others "religious persecution." No, religious persecution is having the right to practice your religion being taken away and being killed/persecuted for your religion. :pull-hair:

At the "Value" Voters Summit, what would JimBob do if some iconic rightwing lady like Michele Bachmann or Sarah Palin tried to give him a full frontal hug? Slap her? Yell "Nike" and run away? No, he'd hug her right back & grin for the cameras.

Same as if someone like Glenn Beck or Senator Cruz went and hugged Michelle.

The Duggars are such f**king hypocrites when it comes to hugging.

Just a quick not on social services an home education in the UK...you don't need to inform anyone that you home educate in the UK, the local authourity is only notifed if you remove your child from a school. Children from magical families are most likely home educated for primary education (or perhaps by private tutor in certain families)... muggleborn wizards who attended muggle primary schools would not be removed from school, they would have completed their primary schooling and would be continuing their education otherwise. Home education is pretty unregulated in the UK if you ddon't go through the process of removing your kids from a school.

I agree that children of wizard parents are probably pretty off grid...no excuses for the Dursleys though, social work should have picked up on that one. Poor Harry.

Just a quick not on social services an home education in the UK...you don't need to inform anyone that you home educate in the UK, the local authourity is only notifed if you remove your child from a school. Children from magical families are most likely home educated for primary education (or perhaps by private tutor in certain families)... muggleborn wizards who attended muggle primary schools would not be removed from school, they would have completed their primary schooling and would be continuing their education otherwise. Home education is pretty unregulated in the UK if you ddon't go through the process of removing your kids from a school.

I agree that children of wizard parents are probably pretty off grid...no excuses for the Dursleys though, social work should have picked up on that one. Poor Harry.

Yes, agreed - certainly when Jo Rowling wrote the books this was true, anyway. Successive governments are gradually chipping away at the right of parents to have the primary responsibility for their children's education, but we don't quite live in a police state yet.

Still, it depends on whether or not you come to the attention of the authorities. You don't have to tell them that you are doing home ed, unless, as you say, you have deregistered them from a school, and some people escape detection, but once they know about you the local authority does have the right, and responsibility, to determine that you are providing "full time efficient education" (these terms are not defined). They don't have a right to inspect the children though, apart from seeing them to ensure that they exist and appear healthy.

Did Harry go to a primary school? I can't remember.

[quote=

Did Harry go to a primary school? I can't remember.

He did, it was mentioned in the first book, IIRC. He had teleported to the roof, I believe, when running from bullies.

Exactly the bolded. I know people who have complained about how annoying Harry is in Bureaucracy of the Burnt Bird, and I've told them, how would YOU handle having a raging case of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder after watching one of your classmates die, all while knowing that the person who's been trying to kill you for years has succeeded in being reborn into a new body and gathering his supporters to take over the wizarding world once again? Their reply: But...annoying! :roll: Drives me crazy. :lol:

He did, it was mentioned in the first book, IIRC. He had teleported to the roof, I believe, when running from bullies.

Didn't a snake start speaking to Harry at the zoo one time? I can't remember when it was when Harry accompanied the Dursleys to the zoo or whether it was on a field trip in primary school.

Archived