IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion - Part 8

happy atheist

The problems in the Amish community caused by inbreeding are mostly hidden from public knowledge. They keep their mutant and sickly children locked up where they will never see the light of day. No one knows of these children, except when they happen to be near death, and I come across them in my job. I grew up in an Old Order Amish community ( we weren't Amish, but all the neighbors were). They marry their first cousins. It's a common thing. Our community only had 4 last names. They are all related after a couple generations. Our neighbors had 17 living children. Our neighbor came from a family of 11, his wife from a family of 14. Some of them left the Amish, but the ones that don't, marry their cousins, then their children marry more cousins. They all looked oddly similar, like the whole community came from the same parents. They don't have transportation, and don't have opportunities to ever meet anyone outside their community.

Your average fundie family is nowhere as strict as the Amish when it comes to marriage. As seen with the Duggars, they branch out. They don't all go to the same church or have the exact same beliefs. Unless they start becoming more extreme with their rules, I don't think inbreeding will become an issue like the with the Amish. Also, most females will not be having that many children. It might be ideal to people like the Duggars, but let's face it, most women are not that fertile (except the Amish lol).

What you describe is similar to some families I have seen in the FLDS. I have a child that is seen in the visiting children with special health care needs and I see families that have 6-8 kids all with the same disorder, makes me so sad. Many cousin marriages because lets face it few people are converting to the FLDS faith. I'm sure just as few are converting to the Amish. The Duggars have plenty of choices since theirs in not really a religion but a belief system? There will always be some people searching for the answers to their problems and think the find the answers in controlling their kids and find the Duggars method appealing.

I'm still shocked they let Ben in since you think the Duggars girls would have more royality options. My neighbor is an LDS seminary teacher and has 5 sons, all balding by 21, kind of nerdy, yet they all married the hottest LDS girls. I asked my husband why? He said having a seminary teacher as a father in law in very respected. I guess it is like having a nun in your family when you are catholic. I just think there had to be someone better then Ben.

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What you describe is similar to some families I have seen in the FLDS. I have a child that is seen in the visiting children with special health care needs and I see families that have 6-8 kids all with the same disorder, makes me so sad. Many cousin marriages because lets face it few people are converting to the FLDS faith. I'm sure just as few are converting to the Amish. The Duggars have plenty of choices since theirs in not really a religion but a belief system? There will always be some people searching for the answers to their problems and think the find the answers in controlling their kids and find the Duggars method appealing.

I'm still shocked they let Ben in since you think the Duggars girls would have more royality options. My neighbor is an LDS seminary teacher and has 5 sons, all balding by 21, kind of nerdy, yet they all married the hottest LDS girls. I asked my husband why? He said having a seminary teacher as a father in law in very respected. I guess it is like having a nun in your family when you are catholic. I just think there had to be someone better then Ben.

"I see families that have 6-8 kids all with the same disorder, makes me so sad". That's just terrible. Those poor kids :(.

"you think the Duggars girls would have more royality options" Exactly!! They are famous, pretty, devout, good-natured and by fundie standards, rich.

I still find it hard to believe Jessa has settled for Ben. What WAS she thinking???

The problems in the Amish community caused by inbreeding are mostly hidden from public knowledge. They keep their mutant and sickly children locked up where they will never see the light of day. No one knows of these children, except when they happen to be near death, and I come across them in my job.

Wow. Speechless.

That's how I see it. Ben might be considered more conventionally handsome than Derick, but Derick has more going for him in terms of personality, intelligence, education, and employment. Plus he acts like he has a genuine interest in his new bride that isn't purely sexual.

And the only reason Ben doesn't have more going for him is because he'd rather be a trained seal for Jim Bob. No wonder his father is so upset. :roll:

That's how I see it. Ben might be considered more conventionally handsome than Derick, but Derick has more going for him in terms of personality, intelligence, education, and employment. Plus he acts like he has a genuine interest in his new bride that isn't purely sexual.

And the only reason Ben doesn't have more going for him is because he'd rather be a trained seal for Jim Bob. No wonder his father is so upset. :roll:

I get the impression Mr. Seewald is annoyed with Jim Bob and Ben being flippant about his faith he was raised in and diving headfirst into ATI.

I would love, love, LOVE to see the two of them (Boob and Mr. S) go at it.

On the subject of Amish people..

I live near an Amish area as do my parents who own a transportation company. My dad used to do some transportation for Amish people. He made several trips with "young people" to other states. Basically they do this to find people who they aren't related to. The women might stay with a new man and the men might bring back a new woman. So obviously they are aware of the problem and trying to fix it, at least in my area.

I'm pretty sure in one episode, I saw Jimbob give one of the daughters, I think it was Jana, a regular hug. It was after his dad died, and she had made a memorial on the computer for him, JB cried a bit and hugged her.

I think the side hug thing is all for show on TV, I don't think it's actually practiced when nobody's around to catch it on video. Just like the whole driving thing, Jill has talked about getting a speeding ticket while out driving to a birth or something.

What is the driving thing? Do the Duggars say that they don't let the girls drive?

What is the driving thing? Do the Duggars say that they don't let the girls drive?

They've never said that. I think Evilbad's point is that we just seem JB/JD/Josh driving most of the time, but the girls do drive. It's just not filmed. I mean, they had an episode that kinda focused on Jinger learning, after all. It seems they take the 14 year olds to get their permits as soon as they are able.

I've seen the girls driving all the time on the show, and driving long distances, too. There's never been any suggestion that they don't drive.

There's an old episode where Jessa learned to drive and got her license. At first I got sad she has a license and I don't (and I'm the same age as Jana and JD...heh) but then realized the test is way harder in my state. Both in what you have to do on the test, and then there's the fact that her examiner coached her a bit and in my state they sit there in stony silence.

There was a clip of Jana driving the bus floating round too - she's the only one of the girls who can drive it (and I wouldn't even attempt to drive it - I can't believe they let teenagers drive the thing).

They've never said that. I think Evilbad's point is that we just seem JB/JD/Josh driving most of the time, but the girls do drive. It's just not filmed. I mean, they had an episode that kinda focused on Jinger learning, after all. It seems they take the 14 year olds to get their permits as soon as they are able.

No, what I meant was that they don't go anywhere alone. Sorry for not clarifying. I think that's a put on for the show, and not really how they are all the time.

The Mennonites in this area of Nova Scotia have a solution to the small genetic gene pool. They pay!! young men to have sex with the unmarried women. When I first heard this, a few years back from my brother, I thought he was just joking but just last week a family member told me about it again. Again, I thought it a sick joke but apparently not!

The Mennonites in this area of Nova Scotia have a solution to the small genetic gene pool. They pay!! young men to have sex with the unmarried women. When I first heard this, a few years back from my brother, I thought he was just joking but just last week a family member told me about it again. Again, I thought it a sick joke but apparently not!

Is prostitution legal in Nova Scotia?

If I understand correctly, is the point this: it's a really big sin to commit adultery, but only a small sin to have unmarried sex (like in Judaism), so the unmarried women have sex with fresh blood, get pregnant, marry a Mennonite boy, then the first born child the couple has has some fresh genetic material, even though the following 8 siblings will still be a little inbred, it still helps a little?

Wait, so do they pay only within the gene pool or do they pay outsiders?

I get the impression Mr. Seewald is annoyed with Jim Bob and Ben being flippant about his faith he was raised in and diving headfirst into ATI.

I would love, love, LOVE to see the two of them (Boob and Mr. S) go at it.

First: I like the way Derick looks. He's kind of "nerdy handsome"... and Ben is just "vapid pretty"... which doesn't resonate with me.

Secondly: If JB and Mr. Seewald "went at it", Mr. S would win hands down. Have you ever noticed on the show when JB does his "have you been saved?" questions? He is nearly always shot down immediately by the respondent saying something like, "I have my own belief system and am happy in it" and JB, the prime evangelist, has NO COMEBACK! I thought they were trained to do this kind of stuff! So if JB and Mr. S had an argument, my money's on Mr. S for the win.

Is prostitution legal in Nova Scotia?

If I understand correctly, is the point this: it's a really big sin to commit adultery, but only a small sin to have unmarried sex (like in Judaism), so the unmarried women have sex with fresh blood, get pregnant, marry a Mennonite boy, then the first born child the couple has has some fresh genetic material, even though the following 8 siblings will still be a little inbred, it still helps a little?

I'm confused, too. Do they pay a woman to marry within the community and have X amount of babies as part of the contract, or do they pay her to become pregnant by one of the Mennonite boys, have the baby, and give it up to the community so it can be raised with Mennonite values? I know the first post on this subject said that the boys were paid, but I'm trying to figure out the logisitcs of how this would work.

Or maybe the boys don't want to marry a first or second cousin in their society that they were raised with (understandably), so they are being paid to do it anyway. Maybe the woman who represents the new bloodstock gets a cut of the money. :think:

I'm owning my ignorance on the subject, I don't really know anything about the Mennonites or how much truth there is to this.

I'm confused, too. Do they pay a woman to marry within the community and have X amount of babies as part of the contract, or do they pay her to become pregnant by one of the Mennonite boys, have the baby, and give it up to the community so it can be raised with Mennonite values? I know the first post on this subject said that the boys were paid, but I'm trying to figure out the logisitcs of how this would work.

Or maybe the boys don't want to marry a first or second cousin in their society that they were raised with (understandably), so they are being paid to do it anyway. Maybe the woman who represents the new bloodstock gets a cut of the money. :think:

I'm owning my ignorance on the subject, I don't really know anything about the Mennonites or how much truth there is to this.

I took it to mean that they pay regular young men to impregnate young, unmarried Mennonite women, and once the women get pregnant they will marry a Mennonite boy and raise the child as their own. I'd still like to see a source for this before I believe it though.

From what I understand, the men, who are outside the Mennonite community, are given money for services rendered. I have no idea whether they get the money only if the female gets pregnant or if they get more money if she gets pregnant. The child is Mennonite. There must be more legalities to it to make certain the father doesn't come back for the child.

I don't know more than what I've been told!

Theres a Duggar page on facebook spreading this picture around trying to claim its Jana. Thoughts anyone?

Just from memory, I'm saying no because of the double chin (Jana doesn't have), even though the girl does bear some resemblance. Compare eyebrows, nose and smile and see how they line up.

I think that even if Jana occasionally escaped from TTH and went to parties and wore NIKE low cut clothing, she still wouldn't get the tan lines that that girl has. I don't think it's her.

Archived