IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion - Part 8

happy atheist

Looks like a fellow Big Sandy attendee thinks J'ichelle shared amazing tips for child training:

sippinglemonade.com/what-michelle-duggar-says-are-the-top-3-things-every-mom-should-have/

Points #2 and #3 especially blew my mind -

#2 - Did she also tell the attendees about Blanket Training?

#3 - I just can't even begin to dissect this one. Maybe someone else has the words. It's like she doesn't even know herself or her own children. Oh wait...

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few days ago my mom was trying to get me to smile for pictures with my teeth showing, and I was all like "noooo, it looks so much better when I smile without teeth", and that got me thinking of something weird: the J'slaves (except occasionally Jessa in selfies) always smile with teeth showing.

I think most teenaged/early 20s girls feel more self-conscious showing teeth when smiling, whereas most parents prefer that their kids show teeth when smiling. I bet with the Duggars, it's an obedience thing, and not posing with a huge toothy smile would be considered rebellion. I wonder if it's even a Gothard thing.

Go ahead, just try to find a picture of Jill or Jana or Jinger smiling for the camera (when they know their picture is being taken) without showing teeth.

"Michelle Duggar is clearly a woman who loves her children and works hard at [...] motherhood"

Um, are we talking about the same woman? :P

Looks like a fellow Big Sandy attendee thinks J'ichelle shared amazing tips for child training:

sippinglemonade.com/what-michelle-duggar-says-are-the-top-3-things-every-mom-should-have/

Points #2 and #3 especially blew my mind -

#2 - Did she also tell the attendees about Blanket Training?

#3 - I just can't even begin to dissect this one. Maybe someone else has the words. It's like she doesn't even know herself or her own children. Oh wait...

The thing is, not everything the Duggars say in public is bad advice. I think Michelle is right with some things (like being polite when you ask for something rather than just rudely demand it).

However, if you see how it all plays out in reality with their family life, it becomes a huge desaster, since the Duggars raise their children to be willfull slaves to their ideology rather than to become independent yet well- balanced adults with good manners but also the ability to stand up for themselves.

Their parenting tips are just means to ensure that they can force their children to do what they want them do to without questions and objections.

I can't even really give Michelle credit for some of her tips (like not being rude, etc) because they're common sense. And whenever I hear a Duggar talk about "obedience" I picture their Pearl/blanket training methods. Yeesh.

J'Chelle hasn't worked hard since the J'Slaves have been old enough to raise her kids for her. She blanket trains her kids, and that's why they're so obedient. I hope that Anna doesn't do the same thing to her kids.

Pris and Pecan Thief wedding on TLC right now (Mountain time zone). I'm watching this from an entirely new perspective. THANK YOU ALL!!!

The Duggars are putting out a video called "19 Kids and Preaching" through Living Waters.

duggarsblog.blogspot.com/2014/08/19-kids-and-preaching.html

I thought I had seen those preaching scenes before and did some digging. That is indeed some old footage. Look at these pictures: picasaweb.google.com/101532170424444521371/August2011

These were taken long before Smuggar started "working" for his nice lil' hategroup but that picture of him standing on a stool and wearing crocs should be plastered on the FRC's front door.

There were lots of new photos from their recent Central American Crusade, too: picasaweb.google.com/101532170424444521371/CentralAmericaJuly2014 (sorry if these have been discussed already, couldn't find any mention about them)

Some random thoughts:

Interesting that it's always Boob who goes to these mission trips, never OfBoob (at least not based on the pictures from the previous trips). You would think that THE Mother Of the Year would be so blessed with the opportunity to share her gospel to these orphaned kids living in poverty. But, of course, she is needed at home to care for and homeschool the rest of her kids... :roll:

And yes, Ben Bob and Jessa Blessa, we know you are courting and in love but is it possible for you to pose separately for any photos? Thanks. I really feel for Jinger.

Howlers have grown so much. I bet there are lots of young fundie girls trying hard not to give away pieces of their hearts for Jed & Jer. They are really transforming from cute lil kids to very nice looking young men.

WTF is that strange heart on Jessa's blouse here?!?

picasaweb.google.com/101532170424444521371/CentralAmericaJuly2014#6037638227182759042

It really takes the focus off from her countenance... And Ben, please, burn that t-shirt. NOW.

picasaweb.google.com/101532170424444521371/CentralAmericaJuly2014#6037638227182759042

It really takes the focus off from her countenance... And Ben, please, burn that t-shirt. NOW.

I believe we have proof now that Ben's mom tried to abort him.... I knew something was off! :dance:

I thought I had seen those preaching scenes before and did some digging. That is indeed some old footage. Look at these pictures: picasaweb.google.com/101532170424444521371/August2011

These were taken long before Smuggar started "working" for his nice lil' hategroup but that picture of him standing on a stool and wearing crocs should be plastered on the FRC's front door.

There were lots of new photos from their recent Central American Crusade, too: picasaweb.google.com/101532170424444521371/CentralAmericaJuly2014 (sorry if these have been discussed already, couldn't find any mention about them)

Some random thoughts:

Interesting that it's always Boob who goes to these mission trips, never OfBoob (at least not based on the pictures from the previous trips). You would think that THE Mother Of the Year would be so blessed with the opportunity to share her gospel to these orphaned kids living in poverty. But, of course, she is needed at home to care for and homeschool the rest of her kids... :roll:

And yes, Ben Bob and Jessa Blessa, we know you are courting and in love but is it possible for you to pose separately for any photos? Thanks. I really feel for Jinger.

Howlers have grown so much. I bet there are lots of young fundie girls trying hard not to give away pieces of their hearts for Jed & Jer. They are really transforming from cute lil kids to very nice looking young men.

I don't get that either. You are together, we know it already. I wonder though, because of the strict courting rules, the selfies and the pictures are maybe the only moment when they can be close to each other physically. :think:

Can I just add... that facial hair and the glasses are really not bad on Ben. :? Ok I'm out of here.

Thanks for the link to the Honduras pics, LurkerOverThePond, I hadn't seen them, and I don't think they've been discussed much. I know I can sleep better tonight knowing that persecuted Christians in Honduras were blessed with manicures for Jesus, compliments of the Duggar girlwomen. :roll:

I don't get that either. You are together, we know it already. I wonder though, because of the strict courting rules, the selfies and the pictures are maybe the only moment when they can be close to each other physically. :think:

Can I just add... that facial hair and the glasses are really not bad on Ben. :? Ok I'm out of here.

That's my theory, and same with the newlyweds. Their belief system literally keeps them from much physical contact with others while at the same time glorifying it in marriage... so they seem to end up cramming as much of what they're allowed to do in as possible. They're finally at a point where they're "allowed" to sidehug, so they seemingly do a TON of it.

Some random thoughts:

To the bolded, I wonder if maybe Michelle is just completely over traveling, unless she absolutely has to for the show? I remember the episode where Josie got sick, and the family was in Israel and couldn't leave right away to get her to a doctor. Michelle made some kind of comment about being mad that she had to stay there for longer than she wanted to.

I'll be honest, I have several countries on my bucket list that I want to visit (so help me, I will get a Kinder Egg from England before I die!), but I don't like traveling long distances that often, even in a car. Way too exhausting for me, and I am prone to motion sickness. Maybe Michelle's just over the mission trips by now, and if it's not for the Dog and Pony Show, she wants no part of it.

Time for a Silkwood-style scrubdown after defending Michelle about something. :ew:

To the bolded, I wonder if maybe Michelle is just completely over traveling, unless she absolutely has to for the show? I remember the episode where Josie got sick, and the family was in Israel and couldn't leave right away to get her to a doctor. Michelle made some kind of comment about being mad that she had to stay there for longer than she wanted to.

I'll be honest, I have several countries on my bucket list that I want to visit (so help me, I will get a Kinder Egg from England before I die!), but I don't like traveling long distances that often, even in a car. Way too exhausting for me, and I am prone to motion sickness. Maybe Michelle's just over the mission trips by now, and if it's not for the Dog and Pony Show, she wants no part of it.

Time for a Silkwood-style scrubdown after defending Michelle about something. :ew:

This could be a likely reason.

Another could be that J'Chelle still has to act like she is looking after her children. I mean, if both parents would leave their younger kids at home, cricits would have a field day. Also if Boob would stay home and J'Chelle would get to travel. And bringing young children with them in such countries isn't the best option, especially if one is as fragile as Josie. So the safest way for them is to send Boob and make J'Chelle stay home.

IMO the whole "hands off" approach in the Duggar courtships gets a bit overstated at times. No doubt they have a ton of restrictions in their relationship. But Jill and Derick had similar rules during their courtship and they still found a way to be affectionate while maintaining mostly appropriate boundaries (the evil one second frontal hug notwithstanding). Maybe it's because Jill and Derick are more mature and less self-centered but IMO their courtship was never as this obnoxious as Jessa and Ben. I think Jessa and Ben love taking selfies because they're vain and love looking at themselves, not because it gives them an extra second of cheek rubbing or whatever.

I do wonder about Jinger being the main chaperone for Jessa and Ben though. I suspect a big reason why those two seem to favor Jinger over the other chaperones is because she's more lenient about their courtship rules. Any other chaperone would get real tired of Jessa and Ben's antics and tell them to quit mugging for the cameras but Jinger? I don't think she gives a crap anymore and is probably just happy to get out of the house and do her own thing while pretending to "chaperone".

IMO the whole "hands off" approach in the Duggar courtships gets a bit overstated at times. No doubt they have a ton of restrictions in their relationship. But Jill and Derick had similar rules during their courtship and they still found a way to be affectionate while maintaining mostly appropriate boundaries (the evil one second frontal hug notwithstanding). Maybe it's because Jill and Derick are more mature and less self-centered but IMO their courtship was never as this obnoxious as Jessa and Ben. I think Jessa and Ben love taking selfies because they're vain and love looking at themselves, not because it gives them an extra second of cheek rubbing or whatever.

I do wonder about Jinger being the main chaperone for Jessa and Ben though. I suspect a big reason why those two seem to favor Jinger over the other chaperones is because she's more lenient about their courtship rules. Any other chaperone would get real tired of Jessa and Ben's antics and tell them to quit mugging for the cameras but Jinger? I don't think she gives a crap anymore and is probably just happy to get out of the house and do her own thing while pretending to "chaperone".

I would love to be a fly on the wall for a "real" Duggar courship date, you know one where the TLC cameras aren't present. Wonder what really goes down and how much the "chaperones" truly enforce the dating rules and what they get in return if they chose to "oversee" certain things. Another reason why I think this whole courting stuff and side-hugging only is stupid, it opens up so much space for blackmail and resentment between siblings. I'm not sure whom I feel more sorry for, the ones who try to get to know their possible future spouse while being watched closely all the time, or the siblings who have to act as "chaperones".

Just flipped through and saw this pic of Jinger!

http://picasaweb.google.com/10153217042 ... 2113624162

is it just me or does her head look WAY too big for her body?

She's getting the Kelly Osbourne look. Some people look better not quite so thin as their heads do start looking out of proportion.

It makes sense. Jinger is Jessa's best friend, so of course they ask her to chaperone.

Also I could totally see the two of them having an agreement to relax the rules a bit-I really cant see either of them telling their parents if they saw the other breaking the rules. Neither seem to be that big kool aid drinkers, they seem kinda snarky and like they are over it.

Just flipped through and saw this pic of Jinger!

http://picasaweb.google.com/10153217042 ... 2113624162

is it just me or does her head look WAY too big for her body?

I see three skinny hispanic kids. They're probably so thin because they live in a poverty stricken area. The one in the middle looks like she stole one of the J'slaves' bridesmaid shoes. Oh wait.

I don't Jessa and Ben post so many selfies because they're vain, but because they're trolling the haters and building up excitement for the show. Jessa by far is the savviest of the bunch, as well as the most temperamental. I really believe that the criticisms people post here bother the hell out of her and she takes any opportunity to shut as up. Like when she talked about the day Ben told her he loved her, and she very pointedly said something like, "Yes that's allowed under the courtship rules." That, coupled with knowing that those types of "are we or aren't we" pictures they post are the best way get people to tune in, are why she and Ben posts those selfies.

I'd be surprised if any of the older kids besides Jill would be "good" chaperones. I'm sure they conveniently lose sight of the couples regularly. If a couple were inclined to break the rules, Jill and the little kids would be the only ones with whom they wouldn't be able to.

Archived