IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion - Part 8

happy atheist

If people like the Duggars and their friends had their way, the US would be a theocracy like Iran for example.

Only that first there would probably be a civil war to establish which leaders of which denomination would get the power. But as long as that doesn't happen, they can work together to take away as much personal freedom from the citizens as they can.

That is their goal...to make America a Christian nation.

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a quick not on social services an home education in the UK...you don't need to inform anyone that you home educate in the UK, the local authourity is only notifed if you remove your child from a school. Children from magical families are most likely home educated for primary education (or perhaps by private tutor in certain families)... muggleborn wizards who attended muggle primary schools would not be removed from school, they would have completed their primary schooling and would be continuing their education otherwise. Home education is pretty unregulated in the UK if you ddon't go through the process of removing your kids from a school.

I agree that children of wizard parents are probably pretty off grid...no excuses for the Dursleys though, social work should have picked up on that one. Poor Harry.

That's interesting; I didn't realise home education was so unregulated here. You're right, most magical children would never be in the system, because they didn't go to primary school.

To the bolded: Only the ones in England/Wales, as that's the school system Hogwarts follows (even though it's located in Scotland). Scottish students have one more year of primary school and at the same time are often younger in equivalent grades because, while the Hogwarts (and I think most English schools') cut-off is the beginning of September, the Scottish one is the end of February. So Scottish students born between March and September would get their Hogwarts letters between P6 and P7. For instance, a Scottish child born in August 1980 would start primary school in August/September 1985. This student would receive a letter from Hogwarts in the summer of 1991, but would not be due to start secondary school until 1992. I *think* Scottish students whose birthdays fall between September and February (assuming their parents didn't hold them back a year, which isn't uncommon for January/February babies), would be okay, as their later birthdays and the extra year of primary school would cancel each other out.

Given that JKR was living in Edinburgh by the time she wrote the first book, and her eldest daughter would have been in a Scottish secondary school by the time the series was finished, there's no excuse for her not being aware of thist stuff :P

Yes, I'm a Harry Potter nerd; however did you guess? :lol:

Yep we would have a problem there, my daughter is april born meaning that she would be about to start year 6 in england or primary 6 in scotland. Luckily we are of grid home educators so should she recieve a hogwarts acceptance letter there wont be an issue. There may be an issue if she doesn't get one though...she has been studying to be a wizard (usingthe wizardology apprentice handbook) fot 2 years in preparation for it.

Yep we would have a problem there, my daughter is april born meaning that she would be about to start year 6 in england or primary 6 in scotland. Luckily we are of grid home educators so should she recieve a hogwarts acceptance letter there wont be an issue. There may be an issue if she doesn't get one though...she has been studying to be a wizard (usingthe wizardology apprentice handbook) fot 2 years in preparation for it.

So sweet :)). My boys studied philiosophy (all the fun bits) but we never did wizardology - we missed a trick there I think :) I'm glad to hear you've stayed off-grid too, I'm guessing you live somewhere rural?

Edit - and to stay slightly more on topic, it saddens me that the Duggar kids don't have this kind of fun in their education. It all seems so earnest, and dull, frankly. Not that they would be allowed within a mile of HP of course, he being the work of teh devil and all.

(Sorry this doesn't have anything to do with the apparent harry potter theme y'all got going but) I'm rewatching the show on Netflix mostly to have something on as background noise and I happened to look up during a TH where Josh is talking about the used car lot and a motorcycle he couldn't get to start... and when I looked up, Anna was like... humping her chair.

It's the episode Duggars On Fire and it's around 18 minutes in. Even if she's just trying to fix her skirt or something it's a REEEEEALLY awkward motion for her to be doing on camera. Not very modest at all.

Anti-choice meets Harry Potter, folks.

hB5FB948B

One of these days, I'm going to show up to a pro-life protest with a sign that says "Klara Hitler Chose Life."

One of these days, I'm going to show up to a pro-life protest with a sign that says "Klara Hitler Chose Life."

I believe that the good people to evil people ratio skews in favor of good people, so more potential good people would be aborted than potential bad people. I'm pro-choice though (among other reasons) because I don't think that forcing a pregnant woman to give birth just because the fetus might kill Voldemort is different than forcing an ovulating woman to have sex because the potential life from that might kill Voldemort.

I believe that the good people to evil people ratio skews in favor of good people, so more potential good people would be aborted than potential bad people. I'm pro-choice though (among other reasons) because I don't think that forcing a pregnant woman to give birth just because the fetus might kill Voldemort is different than forcing an ovulating woman to have sex because the potential life from that might kill Voldemort.

That might not be true. There was a study (which I have to find once I have the time) that in fact places where more women had abortions, less children became criminals when they grew up. It seems logical to me: a woman who gets an abortion is usually in a very bad situation, most of them couldn't provide a good environmet for the kid to grow up. No one gets an abortion for fun, and if someone truly does, that's an evil person who would be a horrible parent anyway.

And statistics cleary show that kids who grop up in a bad enviroment will more likely become criminals.

This is not an ad to get more abortions at all. I'm just saying that the argument that good people will get aborted, without considering the fact that potential murderes get aborted too, is not valid.

That might not be true. There was a study (which I have to find once I have the time) that in fact places where more women had abortions, less children became criminals when they grew up. It seems logical to me: a woman who gets an abortion is usually in a very bad situation, most of them couldn't provide a good environmet for the kid to grow up. No one gets an abortion for fun, and if someone truly does, that's an evil person who would be a horrible parent anyway.

And statistics cleary show that kids who grop up in a bad enviroment will more likely become criminals.

This is not an ad to get more abortions at all. I'm just saying that the argument that good people will get aborted, without considering the fact that potential murderes get aborted too, is not valid.

I read something similar, and I agree that abortion would logically lower crime, because a woman who doesn't want to have a child (or have this particular child at this particular time) will probably be a worse parent than a woman who wants her child. In this case though, it's the environment and not that the fetus is bad, and theoretically, the woman could put the baby up for adoption.

I would never want to force woman to have to go through 9 months of pregnancy, the pains of labor, and the permanent body changes, plus the emotional turmoil of pregnancy and adoption. There are many things in life that are beautiful and joyous if a person chooses them, and torture if she is forced.

I read something similar, and I agree that abortion would logically lower crime, because a woman who doesn't want to have a child (or have this particular child at this particular time) will probably be a worse parent than a woman who wants her child. In this case though, it's the environment and not that the fetus is bad, and theoretically, the woman could put the baby up for adoption.

I would never want to force woman to have to go through 9 months of pregnancy, the pains of labor, and the permanent body changes, plus the emotional turmoil of pregnancy and adoption. There are many things in life that are beautiful and joyous if a person chooses them, and torture if she is forced.

I believe it. That's why i think birth control and contraceptives should be easy to get so that kids don't come into the world to be treated badly that they end up becoming violent.

The Impact of Legalized Abortion on Crime is one of those papers, it can be read here: pricetheory.uchicago.edu/levitt/Papers/DonohueLevittTheImpactOfLegalized2001.pdf )

and it was talked about in the book Freakonomics. freakonomics.com/2005/05/15/abortion-and-crime-who-should-you-believe/

So yeah, definitely easy contraception at least... my personal convictions about abortion past a certain stage are still undecided. But we've absolutely GOT to have welfare and social programs that lift up the kids of moms who can't stop a pregnancy from happening, for whatever reason. My hubby and I have been poor enough to qualify in not too distant memory, and let me tell you. Even with training in being a homemaker/mom/caregiver it was difficult to keep my cool when things got really stressful, when we couldn't make ends meet. We're far out of those woods now thank God but I can't even imagine how a single teen mom who's never been trained in care giving would manage. Society needs to be there for these families and children in dire situations. It helps everyone if these kids are kept out of harsh circumstances that might make them violent. Nothing like a few months of needing welfare will make you a champion of welfare faster! :lol: Welfare fraud is not as rampant as conservatives want us to think, and kids desperately need all the help we can give them.

And just remembered hearing about this too: teen pregnancy is down since the show Teen Mom. Stark reality is a pretty good wake-up call. Yay reality TV for that, at least. cnn.com/2014/01/13/health/16-pregnant-teens-childbirth/

Didn't a snake start speaking to Harry at the zoo one time? I can't remember when it was when Harry accompanied the Dursleys to the zoo or whether it was on a field trip in primary school.

He accompanied the Dursleys to the zoo for Dudley's birthday.

I'm still bitter about never getting my Hogwarts letter. I sent my second cousin one when she turned 11, though. And I need to make another one for her sister.

(Sorry this doesn't have anything to do with the apparent harry potter theme y'all got going but) I'm rewatching the show on Netflix mostly to have something on as background noise and I happened to look up during a TH where Josh is talking about the used car lot and a motorcycle he couldn't get to start... and when I looked up, Anna was like... humping her chair.

It's the episode Duggars On Fire and it's around 18 minutes in. Even if she's just trying to fix her skirt or something it's a REEEEEALLY awkward motion for her to be doing on camera. Not very modest at all.

I am convinced that the reason I didn't get a Hogwarts letter was that I was due to start in 1998. The Wizarding World (and Hogwarts in particular) would have been in chaos then with the end of the war. A lot of muggleborns probably didn't receive letters. :stir-pot:

What?!?!?!? I just restarted from the beginning last night. I'll keep my eye out once I get to the episode.

And yaaaaaaay Harry Potter! :cracking-up: HP is my Happy Place :D

I'm re-reading the third book right now. Anyone else ever wonder why Peter Pettigrew's name never turned up on the Marauder's Map?

I was totally thinking of that meme when I posted that question, Alye. :lol:

My, but I do have a soft spot for the Fred, George and Bill Weasley in the movies. Rowr. :wink-kitty: :drool:

Peter definitely appeared on the map. Harry told Remus Lupin he saw Peter. So Gred and Forge should have seen him. Peter was also Percy's rat first, so wouldn't they have wondered why the man sleeping in Percy's bed every night started sleeping with Ron?

Peter definitely appeared on the map. Harry told Remus Lupin he saw Peter. So Gred and Forge should have seen him. Peter was also Percy's rat first, so wouldn't they have wondered why the man sleeping in Percy's bed every night started sleeping with Ron?

And considering Ron was only eleven when he started at Hogwarts, wouldn't they have been a bit worried to see him suddenly sharing a bed with a boy/man whose name they don't recognise?

Then again, it's unlikely they'd be looking at the dormitories much on the map. I mean, there's no risk of Filch, Mrs. Norris or Peeves coming out of the first-year Gryffindor boys' dormitory.

The Duggars are putting out a video called "19 Kids and Preaching" through Living Waters.

duggarsblog.blogspot.com/2014/08/19-kids-and-preaching.html

The worst part for me (aside from the ridiculousness of seeing JimBob or Michelle standing on crates) was that apparently Josh stood on a crate and preached in front of the White House. If there's any better way to make oneself look both crazy and like a complete ass, I don't know what it could be. And he has to WORK in that city!

The worst part for me (aside from the ridiculousness of seeing JimBob or Michelle standing on crates) was that apparently Josh stood on a crate and preached in front of the White House. If there's any better way to make oneself look both crazy and like a complete ass, I don't know what it could be. And he has to WORK in that city!

This fact made my shitty attitude turn into smiles. Is there video of this?!

Soon+after+FJ+shuts+down+_353c5d76ad84ef1829eb6c64acddb877.jpg

Archived