IGNORED

Bill Gothard Ousted - IBLP/ATI scandal - Merge

love2scrap

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder how the Staddons feel about this? Many of their children work or have worked at headquarters.

Not to mention Paulie Waller's daddy. Someone already made mention of it on Davey's last youtube video.

This has the potential to be quite delicious.

Can anyone find the pics in Google cache? Wayback machine? I'm being a dirty, dirty procrastinator on actual work today, or I'd search it myself.

ETA: Y'all are fast! You had screenshots before I hit submit!

David would suck at it. He doesn't have the cult leader personality. Gothard is a sociopathic, creepy guy who has that charisma that makes him good at running a cult and sexually abusing so many women without being caught for so long. David is kinda silly, like some kind of comical, weird, not very bright figure that nobody takes seriously. The worst thing David ever did was steal pecans, and even that was hilarious, but theres nothing funny at all about child molestation. I cant see David raping anyone (I cant even imagine him having sex with Priscilla since Paul was conceived, he seems like the kind of guy who will do it every now and again for procreative purposes, missionary style with the lights off and almost fully clothed), but Gothard looks like the kind of guy you should run away from. David doesn't have any charisma or intelligence-his blogging is hilarious and he writes about himself in third person, and he would probably talk to his followers like he was talking to a bunch of pre-schoolers. Gothard is evil, David is hilarious.

Wasn't David Gothard's administrative assistant for many years? He may have some insights (wrong word, I know), though I think the powers-that-be need to find those who were closest to Gothard around the times of the reported incidents.

I could see Chad's father (Dr. Paine) being promoted to the top spot. Not Gil.

Wonder how Josiah Duggar is enjoying ALERT.

I am a little impressed and scared by Kelly's immediate damage control.

But Free Jinger always prevails.

file.php?id=4435

that cake looks delicious.

If anyone wants to check out the videos on the Embassy Institute website, send me a PM. my username and password are not used on any other site that I know of, so I am willing to share. I don't want to publicly post it because I don't want my account shut down.

I have it for a month. That's it.

Rather dishonest of them to try and pretend that they weren't associated with him so much that they gave him a cake at one of their kid's weddings a couple of months ago. And from what I can tell, RG contacted Bill and the board before they went public so it isn't like the board didn't know all this. They aren't doing this because they actually care about the people hurt by Bill, they are doing it to try to gain control over the situation before it brings down all of them.

Where is evidence that Kelly Bates has scrubbed Gothard pics from her website? The Happy Birthday Mr. Gothard cake is still on the Bates website at blog.thebatesfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/image-2.jpg

What's going to grab the attention of the general media is the connection to the Duggars.

I'm not as savvy as a lot of people here about how to get that sort of thing going on the Internet.

But I imagine it's something like the "Doug Phillips is a tool" campaign.

The more terms like "Duggar sexual scandal" pop up, the more likely somebody in the media is going to notice it.

At least – I think so – right?

I'm not up to speed with the workings of US newspapers, but in the UK its possible to phone or email the newspapers' newsdesk direct and alert them of a story. I'm sure the word Dugger would get them interested. Something to think about? :wink-penguin:

I might give the Daily Mail a try, they often make an idol of the Duggers.

Well, wow.....

I don't check FJ for a mere 12 hours and I get to read this. Well, we were overdue for a Fundie Friday, weren't we? No fundie visiting here but hey, this is good enough for me.

I hope they are doing it because they regret being involved with Gothard and are ashamed that they wasted their lives on worshipping this evil, creepy old pervert, instead of are distancing themselves because they don't want to ruin their reputation.

Unfortunately at this point I don't think they are scrubbing because suddenly decided that they were wrong to follow BG, it seems more like distancing to me. At least for the interim.

Do agree that this time around it's different. This is not the same as the '80s because there's the internet. And it doesn't forget. Back in the '80s all you had were newspapers, radio, and local news. Much easier skate by without things being widely known. And being forgotten. Not so much now. Your sins can be more widely known than ever before and it's as close as your internet search engine.

This may not make a difference for the true believers, and BG might survive it just fine (probably will retire at worst), but this time the information is out there.

Wow, this is gonna make it a little tricky for the book tour next month. Some awkward questions could come up as the Duggars have always espoused Gothard as a godly bible teacher. He is also indirectly endorsed in their probably already published book.

My guess, they will either ignore the subject, or deny deny deny.

Checked Joshie's Twitter and Instagram...nothing but the sound of crickets. Will be interesting to see how he spins this.

Checked Joshie's Twitter and Instagram...nothing but the sound of crickets. Will be interesting to see how he spins this.

be the only thing he does not comment on.

Well, wow.....

I don't check FJ for a mere 12 hours and I get to read this. Well, we were overdue for a Fundie Friday, weren't we? No fundie visiting here but hey, this is good enough for me.

Unfortunately at this point I don't think they are scrubbing because suddenly decided that they were wrong to follow BG, it seems more like distancing to me. At least for the interim.

Do agree that this time around it's different. This is not the same as the '80s because there's the internet. And it doesn't forget. Back in the '80s all you had were newspapers, radio, and local news. Much easier skate by without things being widely known. And being forgotten. Not so much now. Your sins can be more widely known than ever before and it's as close as your internet search engine.

This may not make a difference for the true believers, and BG might survive it just fine (probably will retire at worst), but this time the information is out there.

Another HUGE difference from the 1980s is that the public is much, much more aware of sexual harassment and sexual abuse. Watch any movie or TV show from the 1980s that depicts women in the workplace-- "9 to 5" is one obvious example, as is "Mr. Mom." Those films are comedies, but today's viewers will still be appalled by the behavior those female characters had to put up with if they wanted to keep their jobs. Fortunately, times have changed. Attitudes toward sexual abuse have also changed. In the 1980s, people were beginning to talk about child sexual abuse, but to some degree older adolescent females were still considered fair game for predatory males. But again, times have changed.

Another HUGE difference from the 1980s is that the public is much, much more aware of sexual harassment and sexual abuse. Watch any movie or TV show from the 1980s that depicts women in the workplace-- "9 to 5" is one obvious example, as is "Mr. Mom." Those films are comedies, but today's viewers will still be appalled by the behavior those female characters had to put up with if they wanted to keep their jobs. Fortunately, times have changed. Attitudes toward sexual abuse have also changed. In the 1980s, people were beginning to talk about child sexual abuse, but to some degree older adolescent females were still considered fair game for predatory males. But again, times have changed.

Yep, good points. What was considered as acceptable in the workplace in terms of behavior towards women back then is not acceptable now plus there are policies in many workplaces. Something that was nonexistent back then as well.

David Waller has been quieter than usual since he and family returned from Israel. A post about the Mexico mission, a couple of videos, and a few tweets. And in the most recent video, where he seemed deeper voiced, less patient, and less full of celestial glow, we might read him as carrying a 'burdened heart,' knowing as an IBLP insider that there was crisis in the camp.

Even though Gil Bates is on the IBLP board, it's seemed to me since Zach's failed courtship that the Bates have opened the door to admit other modes or principles of Christian practice. After Zach's failed courtship, the term "courtship" gave way to (or was joined by) "dating with a purpose" quite explicitly for a while. And I recall that after Zach's failed courtship, Kelly wrote in some of the blog comments that they (the Bates) learned from and were encouraged by many sources, as if to indicate that some IBLP/ATI ways weren't working, as dictated, for their family. Obviously, the Bates are still very involved with IBLP; Erin's marriage to a Paine (with BG participating) and Alyssa's engagement to a Webster affirm this.

Dr. Paine seems a real possibility to be head of IBLP. The Paines have a family ministry, but is Dr. Paine a minister?

Do we know of staff more seasoned and older than the Waller, Staddon, and Paine young men working in high ranking administrative positions at IBLP who might be candidates to succeed Gothard?

I read some of the threads covering the abuse over on the Recovering Grace site. One of the impressions I got from them was that the board KNEW about Gothards sexual predation and covered it up on several occasions. If so, then no board member is fit to take over.

Also, did not Gothard loose control of another ministry or church back in the 70's or 80's over similar allegations?

Frankly, now that these allegations have come to light all of ATI/ILBP could come falling down. Just as Vision Forums did.

One has to wonder what TLC's reaction to this will be? I'm sure they have a PR presence, as does the publisher for the Duggars past and future books. Is the phone at the various Duggar households (Josh too) ringing with requests for comment from the press? Will the FRC have anything to say on the subject? (did they comment about Phillips dramatic fall?)

Wow, last night I thought "well I'll go ahead and check FJ one last time, maybe something interesting has happened?" and boy oh boy was that true!

At first I felt cynical like others that this has happened before, the leave only last a few weeks before he came back with a vengeance and a new organization. But I do think it's different now - he has the support of one famous (and one-semi famous) family who is covered by the media, and the media is a very different beast than it was in the early '80's. This definitely has the chance to go viral, at least let's hope!

I'm shocked Kelly would delete stuff from the blog - I thought they might go into full-fledged, no-shame support. I just asked a comment on the newest Phillipines post, hope she responds...(doubt it)

Archived