IGNORED

Bill Gothard Ousted - IBLP/ATI scandal - Merge

love2scrap

I don't think Goth would dare mess with a D or B girl,but I could be wrong.

I wonder if david waller will distance himself and his family from them?

didn't someone say he was being groomed to take over when Goth passes on?

Perhaps the Paines will distance themselves?

I imagine Goth helped fund erin and chad's wedding,so they probably felt compelled to honor his bday.Regrets,maybe so.

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The True Believers I'm still in contact with(well technically my parents are in contact with)are not bothered by this. They are just praying for Gothard as he has to deal with attacks from bitter people/Satan. They fully believe that the board will find no wrong doing on Gothard's part and that he will be reinstated in no time. So I wouldn't assume that Chad and Erin regret anything at this moment.

Now if the board does actually find wrong doing, I'm not sure how they will react. But I think the board is rather biased when it comes to this investigation so I will be pleasantly surprised if they do find that he did anything wrong.

Doesn't look like the story has been picked up by any other news outlets yet--I just checked Nexis.

Aren't multiple Paines employed by GothardLand?

Is Michael Bates' beau somehow involved in the Gothard empire?

What's going to grab the attention of the general media is the connection to the Duggars.

I'm not as savvy as a lot of people here about how to get that sort of thing going on the Internet.

But I imagine it's something like the "Doug Phillips is a tool" campaign.

The more terms like "Duggar sexual scandal" pop up, the more likely somebody in the media is going to notice it.

At least – I think so – right?

I was thinking again about how much Jana seems to match up with Gothard's "type". So jump on the Idle Speculation Bus with me for a minute:

I am pretty sure that I read somewhere that during Journey to the Heart, each girl has a private meeting with BG to confess her "sins". I know there was an audio tape of some of the Duggar girls talking about their Journey to the Heart experience and now I am trying hard to remember what Jana said her "sin" was. Was is something about submitting to authority? She has been to several Journey's so that means several private audiences with BG. Maybe her sometimes defeated demeanor comes from having to "submit" to BG's harassment. It's not like she could tell her parents and they'd believe her.

I'm on board that bus. I have wondered about Jana for some time now. As I recall, her "sin" was pride. Then, she worked on (or prayed about, or whatever) her pride and felt she had conquered it, BUT....the feeling that she had overcome pride was MORE evidence of pridefulness. I can see how this logic would require MANY Journey's to the Heart to wrap one's mind around. I also think that having "pride" could very well mean not submitting to authority, which could also mean not being willing to play footsie with Gothard. Poor Jana does look so defeated, and the appearance of that look did coincide with 1) joining Weight Watchers, and 2) the beginning of the many, many, many trips to the North Woods. The Weight Watchers thing COULD be a response to comments or requests by some man or men in her life, of it COULD be that she was engaged in disordered eating and her mother thought it would teach her a healthier way to watch her weight. Who knows? The speculation is why she did these things. The not-speculation is the very real evidence in front of our eyes week after week that something has died in that girl. Another comment of hers that sent an arrow through my heart was when she was talking about what she planned to do with her life. The context was, I think, that Jill was learning to be a midwife, and what was she, Jana going to do? Her response was something along the lines of, "My parents know my heart." When she said it, again, she looked so sad and defeated. My interpretation was, "My parents know what I want, but I'm not going to get it."

Does anyone else wonder if being on the BoD hastened Gil to marry off his older daughters?

Considering who they are paired up with and the timing, I don't doubt that it did.

Thoughts from the "headmistress"

Nothing earth shattering -of course she knew ATI was nuts from the outset...

Forgiveness begged in advance if this has already been posted. I think I broke the link properly...

thecommonroomblog.com/2014/02/bill-gothard-and-atia.html

The True Believers I'm still in contact with(well technically my parents are in contact with)are not bothered by this. They are just praying for Gothard as he has to deal with attacks from bitter people/Satan. They fully believe that the board will find no wrong doing on Gothard's part and that he will be reinstated in no time. So I wouldn't assume that Chad and Erin regret anything at this moment.

Now if the board does actually find wrong doing, I'm not sure how they will react. But I think the board is rather biased when it comes to this investigation so I will be pleasantly surprised if they do find that he did anything wrong.

Exactly. While this news is a relief for us former- or anti- Gothardites, it's just another "attack from Satan/the world" to those who are still hard-core Gothardites.

I think that even if Gothard and his entire board of Directors were ousted by a reputable Religious or other authority, that the true Gothardites would not be swayed in their devotion to ATI. Their life meaning is so entwined with ATI, that there is no going back or re-thinking how right or wrong this man and his dynasty are. However, I do have hope that the younger children in the ATI families will have the opportunity to see the light and leave ATI.

What will happen? My predictions: Bill will "retire" and move to Northwoods (where he will try to remain a certain influence). The board will utter a general apology for "defrauding" by Bill G. and a promise to make changes that things like that will not happen again. Around 30 to 40% of ATI families will leave, the others will remain faithful. The Duggars will remain silent and wait until the waves have cleared. Josh might distance himself from ATI to keep his reputation. David Waller will become one of the new leaders....

At least we wouldn't have to worry about young women being sexually abused anymore... ;)

At least we wouldn't have to worry about young women being sexually abused anymore... ;)

Hey now! Men can be victims of sexual assault just as much as women. There's a very real risk of Davey taking advantage of young, hot, impressionable men and putting his pecans where they don't belong. :lol: ... :?

David would suck at it. He doesn't have the cult leader personality. Gothard is a sociopathic, creepy guy who has that charisma that makes him good at running a cult and sexually abusing so many women without being caught for so long. David is kinda silly, like some kind of comical, weird, not very bright figure that nobody takes seriously. The worst thing David ever did was steal pecans, and even that was hilarious, but theres nothing funny at all about child molestation. I cant see David raping anyone (I cant even imagine him having sex with Priscilla since Paul was conceived, he seems like the kind of guy who will do it every now and again for procreative purposes, missionary style with the lights off and almost fully clothed), but Gothard looks like the kind of guy you should run away from. David doesn't have any charisma or intelligence-his blogging is hilarious and he writes about himself in third person, and he would probably talk to his followers like he was talking to a bunch of pre-schoolers. Gothard is evil, David is hilarious.

In the 1980's, we didn't have the internet. It was much easier to bury a scandals. It is going to be very hard for Gil and his buddies to burry this.

I wonder how the newlyweds feel now about the birthday cake ...

Somebody should Screen capture a picture of that, before it mysteriously disappears from the bates website!

I have a hard time seeing David Waller as Gothard's successor. First, he is way too young and doesn't exude any kind of authority. Gil Bates comes off as too folksy and rural to appeal to non-Southerners, whereas Gothard has a bland Mid-western patois.

from Bill's bio online:

In order to focus completely on the Lord and the life work God has given him, Bill has never married. Each day is an exciting race to see how much can be accomplished to advance God’s kingdom.

To which I reply a very loud BULLSHIT!

I wonder if IBLP will scrub their site, if only temporarily.

Somebody should Screen capture a picture of that, before it mysteriously disappears from the bates website!

Too late, already GONE!!!!

Even the picture of Gothard standing with Michelle and JB, GONE!!!

SOMETHING IS UP!!!

Let's see how they spin this? i'm waiting with bated breath.

SOMETHING IS UP!!!

Whoah! :shock: I didn't think they'd do anything other than ignore/deflect. I wonder if TLC told them to get rid of it all under no uncertain circumstances?

SOMETHING IS UP!!!

Kelly took the Gothard pictures down already? Sounds like she's in damage control mode.

I hope they are doing it because they regret being involved with Gothard and are ashamed that they wasted their lives on worshipping this evil, creepy old pervert, instead of are distancing themselves because they don't want to ruin their reputation.

Archived